Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Choo fuckin choo bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

Ok who took my name ><

I really cant get myself excited for this. I got the first beta test thing and logged in for maybe an hour. I dont even know if ill do the 2nd beta coming up :/

Somethings wrong with me :(

Sorry I sniped Goku420 Weedlord_Satan, my bad

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

kalstrams posted:

With launch just a few weeks away I figured it was about time for the prep for launch posts to go up, so I wanted to throw my two pennies in.

I've posted this on other sites and gathered information over the years to compile some information I seriously think is beneficial to you as a gamer. Enjoy and feel free to add to it! (Both legitimate and silly things alike.) EvrMoar from 2arc Gaming laid the foundation for this, and I've previously posted on MMO-Champ (as Blindhammer.)

Safety in a Gaming Marathon

There are two things that you have to be seriously wary of are Sleep Deprivation and Deep vein thrombosis.

Sleep Deprivation

There is little way to stop Sleep Deprivation, and it his highly recommend to not go to far over 48 hours without sleep. If you are planning on doing 24 hours+ please stay hydrated and well fed. If you can sleep, even if its 15mins after the first 24 hours and have someone wake you up, or set an alarm on vibrate, it will greatly help you stay focused and healthy. I can't stress enough, don't push past 72 hours if you haven't done it before and if you feel like your body isn't in a state to handle it. I will cover how to properly prepare for a marathon, but for now try to stick to under 72 hours. Recently someone suffered brain hemorrhaging in china just for gaming for 72 hours straight.

http://kotaku.com/ma...-mar-1581598210

Your body will try to compensate for loss of sleep, so just like your body needing more sleep after being up for 24hours+ you can also store sleep for when you need it. If possible try to sleep at least 12 hours before a marathon.

Sleeping has a ton of purposes for our body, one of which is relaxing the eyes. To avoid eye strain I highly recommend the 20/20/20 rule. Look at something 20 feet away, every 20 minutes, for 20 seconds. This will help ease headaches and will also help protect your eyes.

There is a program called f.lux (https://justgetflux.com/) that simulates wearing gaming specific eye protection and is something I know personally can stop headaches from staring at even an LED monitor too long. (I even used this in the cruiser when I was a patrolman.)

Last but not least don't drive or do something right after marathon without catching up on sleep. Simply put don't be dumb. If you have to work in 5 hours and you just stayed up for 24 hours+ PLEASE have a friend drive you, or take a bus. One of the highest cause of traffic accidents is sleep deprivation. This is logic people, don't endanger others!

Deep Vein Thrombosis

Deep Vein Thrombosis, in a nutshell, is what leads to blood clots that are fatal! So what happens when your sitting for extended periods of time is decreasing blood flow through your body. This can create blood clots, those blood clots can dislodge when you become more active and, unfortunately, often kill. This is often what you hear about in the news that kills gamers that stay up for days on end.

‘If you sit for 90 minutes or more at a desk, the blood flow behind your knees decreases by 50 per cent, significantly increasing the chance of a DVT,’

‘It is vital to take regular breaks every hour or so: get up, walk about, rotate your ankles and stretch out your calf muscles.’

I pulled these facts from a couple articles, please just get up and stretch and walk around when possible. Don't sit in your chair for hours on end without getting up and moving!

You can purchase and use these: http://www.amazon.com/Zensah-Compre...ression+sleeves They cost about $40 and help with blood flow when in a seated position for a long time. ( DO NOT SLEEP IN THESE)

How to Prepare and Keep Going!

Now for the fun part, how to prepare and keep going and keep your body in a good place while you're trying to hit the level cap. This will mostly cover food, and water intake to help you keep your body happy.

RULE 1 DO NOT DRINK ENERGY DRINKS
No don't do it, it does not help you stay up like you think and it is not good for your body when you need to stay up for more than 24 hours.

This next section is a bit on the graphic side, but people in all seriousness, this is something to think about.

Your body needs water, water should be your number one choice. Honestly when you take a piss if it's yellow you need to drink more water. That is the easiest way to gauge it, if it doesn't look like water coming out you're wrong.

How do you know if you’re properly hydrated? Take a look at your urine. Generally speaking, the clearer the urine, the better hydrated you are. If it is a clear-pale lemonade color, you are hydrated. If it is a darker lemonade to apple juice color, you are dehydrated. And if it is dark and cloudy, you are severely dehydrated and should notify medical staff immediately.

Basic hydration know how, please stick to water.

To give you a short idea of why not to drink soda/sugars is because of crashing. Coffee is good to start off, but generally, caffeine doesn't wake you up it stops the flow of chemicals that makes you feel tired. It doesn't magically wake you up, it just stalls you feeling tired. So once you're tired caffeine won't help. Sugar makes you crash, even tho it picks you up for a little bit you will crash. It's less harsh on your body, and will be more effective if you stick to water and avoid sugary food/drinks. You can start with coffee but don't depend on it, and once you start to feel tired just stick to water.

FOOD

This is going to sound like everything you heard growing up but stick to fruits and veggies to replenish nutrients you need, ones that your body will be burning when it goes into overdrive mode. Sticking to these foods will help your body a ton!

To name a few:
- Baby Carrots
- Peanuts/nuts and peanut butter
- Yogurt with/without oats
- Tuna (no mayo, use a dressing or mustard)
- Grilled or baked meats (ie Chicken and Fish, less on the red meats.)

These foods are amazing to help your body when you need to stay up for longer hours.

Don't Risk Your Life For First lvl 50!

Can we add this to the OP atleast until a few days after launch. This is some real important stuff and no one should ignore the parts about sleep deprivation in regards to work and water intake.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

As long as they're active idgaf, but that 80-100 cap sucks.

Do we have plans for multiple guilds to address the cap? Also is there going to be a guild for cbt 2?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
We should all celebrate this greatness

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Drinkfist posted:

See the wierd thing about Wushu is that it is the exact opposit of what is going on here. They made the mmo with all the bells and whistles as a normal mmo with quests and mob packs everywhere and then suddenly without reason they gutted it and made it totally worthless. There was a gently caress ton of just random rear end packs of mobs and entire zones filled with just hubs and mobs and yet they literally served no purpose. They dropped pennies of bound money that has near no point and there was no combat exp in the game and it was gained by doing group dances. Just thousands of fully modeled and animated mobs and even some named ones that did gently caress all nothing and were not attached to anything. Then in extremely rare circumstances a random rear end npc will appear before you and offer you a quest to kill one guy that dies in a single blow for some rare rear end item or skill.

Black Desert gutted their living world and PvP. Wushu gutted their entire PvE.

Black desert has already locked in the decision to make the game 100% dead in a month. There is zero interaction between players allowed and PvP is highly punished it makes you wonder why it is even in the loving game. Guilds are highly complicated but serve no noticeable purpose. The entire reason Wushu lasted way past what it should have with all the fuckery going on in Snail games is because the players and their interactions are what literally kept the game going. Then they had enough of that and just stepped in and cash shop killed it because they no poo poo hate americans.

It makes no loving sense that the loving MMO market keeps designing poo poo like this. You could get vastly more features and longevity out of a loving modded minecraft server than making MMOs the way the currently do.

Eonwe posted:

drinkfist you are a SA forums treasure :allears:

Nailing it

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Ruggan posted:

Already gone. Someone else snagged it.

Ruggan, you in man? Lics and I are going in on this one it looks like.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Are we getting a team speak or slack or some other lovely goon drama generator in place for cbt2?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

may i introduce you to my good friend discord

which one, people mentioned this and then said but badr and there was no more talk of it also discord is poo poo

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Discord is clearly the supreme choice, considering it is already generating goon drama, without any need for goons to actually play the game.

Yeah I definitely agree, I just hate it - but for content generation you are right, there is no arguing this is the best choice. Without trading and other modes of fuckery goons are gonna have to try really hard here to find good ways to gently caress themselves and each other.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
VOIP wars only prove that the mmo scene is stagnant, we don't even have enough game to fight over or disagree with Kimsemus on or whatever. Maybe we just evolved past needing a game

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

Hello yes all of these things seem fun and things I like to do. Stabbing mans, then taking their things, I just wish there was a jury system like in AA where I could just be like "50s for innocent" and repeatedly get off the hook.

I thought this game had none of the taking their things part?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

kalstrams posted:

It doesn't indeed, you just make them lose things, and not by much. Still you can be pretty annoying if 10 of you jump out of a bush in wookie suits, kill guy's horse, and run away.

Sweet, yeah i read the gems blurb after posting. I don't need to loot people to have fun griefing them as some goon said it is the icing on the cake. It does however add weeks to my enjoyment. Take Albion a bad game, but since there is looting mans I am playing this game much longer than it ever deserved. The game looks fun, I hope pvp is good, the gvg looks great, ill be in

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Whats the haps goon mans, I haven't really played this game much will be online this weekend and pooping in a sock. Have goons taken over the world and griefed everyone into the ground yet?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
So I got this thing and never really played it, I was doing other things. Should I get in this grand goon game of poopsocking and fish? I have been playing tree of savior which is good and fun but kind of want to do some pvp hit mans, but learning new mmos is sometimes effort and stuff.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Mostly my interest to check this game out is that two months in the thread count still goes up pretty quickly and thats kind of rare for non eve mmos, so maybe its a gold mine of fun that I'm missing

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Thank god this thread picks up where the albion thread left off, now whos going to steal the pre splinter guild bank?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

lewtt posted:

Wont be home till 5pm pst
If the split happens then i can steal the guild bank at long last

PS I figured out how to steal the guild bank

I knew there had to be a way, god speed.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
This game is almost dead enough for me to start playing, I'll give it 3 more weeks.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

flyboi posted:

Guess if there's no goon guild in a mmo it's safe to consider it dead

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
How do I start this thing. Probs gonna play a wizard or ranger and do I need/want the explorers bundle while its on sale? How do server transfers work do I pick a server when I log in each time and my character moves? Apparently the steam account servers have bonus xp so I want to start there?

edit:
Are there builds where I can gently caress myself forever or do levels not give you points to allocate or can said points be taken back to respec?

Usenet Magic-User fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 28, 2017

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

You can respect as much as you want up to level 56, which gives you a free respec as a reward and then after that it can be a pain, but at that point it's not like you are changing your spec around, just adding to it.

There are only 2 "servers" so to speak, EU and NA. All the names you see are channels, and your character can hop between them whenever you want, with a cooldown. The vast majority of these channels are identical, they just have different names and guilds congregate on random ones just so they are around each other. If someone is griefing you or the grind spot is full, you can swap channels and try your luck there. People also will kill a world boss on one and try to quickly change channels to the same world boss on another channel that hasn't been killed yet.

The Olvia channels are unique in that they give the weekend 200% exp bonus 24/7 and access to them is limited to new and returning players. No world bosses or node wars occur on those channels but otherwise the world is the same and going to a "normal" channel doesn't prevent you from hopping back to Olvia.

E: as for the explorer bundle, it's a fantastic deal IF you are sold on the game. This is a game with some huge positives and also some negatives, so hard to say to go for it, since nothing in it is things you can't get later. But if the combat and setup looks good to you, it's hard to say you won't at least get $30 of enjoyment as you would another $30 game on steam.

Thanks I went with explorers. Great advice I appreciate the write up.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Been playing this thing about a week. Finally hit 50 following the black spirits quest for welfare inventory slots. I read the OP about liquidating everything to just buy the bis pre boss gear. I have the 0-200 ap gear at about +10 just because otherwise I'd be naked and poo poo. When should I move into liquidate everything and buy items mode? ASAP? How much AP can I get by with on the way to 56?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

ganking unaware traders for all their sweet loot

I thought players don't drop loot how is trading different. Do trade goods get destroyed when they die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Been playing this thing about a week. Finally hit 50 following the black spirits quest for welfare inventory slots. I read the OP about liquidating everything to just buy the bis pre boss gear. I have the 0-200 ap gear at about +10 just because otherwise I'd be naked and poo poo. When should I move into liquidate everything and buy items mode? ASAP? How much AP can I get by with on the way to 56?

Anyone know if this is still the current best advice?