Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I'd say that with the current leveling and item curve, new players won't run into anything remotely challenging until late 40s when you hit SW Calpheon. Basically with all the free poo poo, +5 armor and +7 weapons trivialize everything up until then. There, things actually will take more than one hit and can actually do damage to a +5/+7 geared character, while the Abandoned Monestary / Calpheon Shrine in the area decidedly are not comfortable at that gear level.

However, playing that area with that gear level is pretty fun because of that - to restate what I said a few months back,

lurksion posted:

this game actually does have pretty engaging combat if you aren't overgeared...you have lots of avoidance tools depending on class (blocks, teleports, dodges, attacks that actively move you). However, in practice, people overgear and are in "farm mode" all the time

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

That guide looks like it was done before Mediah and the Grunil armor set came out, check out this one.
That looks way outdated too. Recommends Yuria still, no discussion of awakening, no mention of Roaring Magical Armor, which is probably BIS and breaks the Grunil set bonus.

Anyway, so you get Roaring Magical Armor from a quest chain from the black spirit starting in SW Calpheon starting in the late 40s involving a murder tour of the area, then it upgrades every level until you get the final piece at L54 (?). You then would pair it up with 3 other pieces of your choice. 2/3 piece Heve is good, Grunil gloves/helm + 1 other is good, or another 3-piece set (3-piece Taritas probably good for Tamer since they use stamina alot iirc).

Target buying +15 or PRI as a start as a poorperson (probably?), though I think TRI is apparently widely considered minimum PvP standards (no idea).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 29, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tyshalob posted:

I don't really feel that the game is teaching me anything about using my skills.
Yep it doesn't at all. The conceit is that different skills combo into one another by nature of their animation and CC-effect. And furthermore, some skills in sequence also animation cancel. So when you have things down, PvE is a smooth stream.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

stringball posted:

Well the black spirit started out really cute and had cute dialogue but now at level 50 I'm surprised how much he's changed
He ends up miniaturized again after Mediah quests

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

No such quests from the black spirit. Do i need to do all the "for a sharper ..." quests first?
Whichever quest chain ends up with killing a scroll witch. I think "for a sharper ..." come after that? So you should be eligible - try moving character to Calpheon?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Brain In A Jar posted:

How difficult is it to find clothes with actual pants/shirts in this game?

I know what I'm getting into here kMMO-wise but it'd be nice to know if I can play one of the gender-locked classes without having to shut my door and pray no-one walks in on me playing a video game with a half naked anime realdoll because it's the only class that has a big sword.
FYI Warrior also has a big sword at 56 as well.

And yeah, DK costumes suck. Her regular armor actually doesn't look too bad though, notably less hoboey than some others.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

fletcher posted:

Are you guys actually able to snipe these off the marketplace? I never see any listed.
Probably 20-30 or so go up a day at various times. Pearl items go up after notice in about 1 minute, and you'll be RNGing with a shitload of people to win the bid. And no you will never win.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Basically witch/wizard, and DK a little, though they all are kind of PBAOE with 1 or 2 long range skills. Nothing like the ranger pre-awakening. Though the W/W skills are spammable.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 21, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
If you get the timing perfect you don't need the sugar cube.

Yes apparently there is/(was) a hidden timer (that I don't remember what it was) that differs by wild horse tier (at least they were different for T1/T2 horses when those were the only wild horses around).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 30, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Revolver Bunker posted:

I found out over the weekend that if you skip the black spirit quests you can get up to Level 49 with 99.9999~% on the exp and it'll get locked until you do the black spirit quest for that level range. That's about 20 or so quests back so I've got to go back to Calpheon and burn through the quests so I can get to 50. Thermian Waterpark is easy to get the seals. I just got 1 Crown. I'll need to check to see if each of my characters can do the quests or if its limited to family name.

J posted:

If you're level 49.999 and stuck there, check your black spirit quests and look for one about a giant catfishman Qoobe. I don't think you need to do any pre requisite quests for it to be there, and that will unlock your experience and let you level past 50.
Yep, there's no prerequisites for the level past 50 quest, though you'll probably still want to do the earlier black spirit quests if its a character you want to play for any extended period of time since you get like 30 (?) or so item slots.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
In terms of lore talk, apparently the desert was the original source for the black stone stuff, thus Black Desert I guess.
Anything further was indecipherable through my run through the valencia questline, like most of this game.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Also IIRC the free trial stacks with a code trial as long as you do the free first, so you can get 14 days.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently there's been a big datamining info dump (they forgot to zero out hidden values in some client files)

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/7bqold/unpacked_datasheets_dig_in/

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently its the full game? So basically save someone $5.

Oh, and gift giver guy gets a ?? day value pack.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

osirisisdead posted:

Okay, I'm getting nodes connected and I have a worker.

How do I get a rank 1 house?
Pay mucho IRL bucks to purchase cash shop items in order to compete in furniture tetris with the other whales.

EDIT:
Rank 1 house in a city gets you access to a worker node that effectively takes X gold and spits out an average interest rate of Y% after Z hours. I think rank 1 in non-cities gets you access to some special production nodes for trade goods.
Anyway those are fiercely competitive, and you can enter any house and see them stuffed to the walls with cash shop furniture.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 28, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Oh yah second hand drama is always amusingish to read about.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That makes it worse, I never uninstalled, if the client is 28gb why is it trying to download 40gb 1gb at a time?
This always used to happen if you've been away long enough, somehow you end up with a download larger than the install size. Apparently they still haven't figured out how to do differential patching correctly.

please knock Mom! posted:

I heard something about it being better if you buy this game off the regular site rather than steam, is that true?
Apparently if you buy on Steam, you don't get to do any account management from the website, so you get to miss out on even more P2W options/promotions (lol). Well I guess you also miss out on the ability to upgrade to a higher tier account package.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 7, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

So who do we talk to for an invite back to the ParksandRec guild we made.
Someone in the discord linked on the frontpage will get you

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I don't see any connections to anime? Aesthetics or storywise (which is buried under ??? translation).

I guess flashy particle attack animations? But that's not something anime by itself.

Gameplay is key combo based brawler which is great but buried under lovely gear mechanics.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So apparently you can use P2W tents to block bridges.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Got a Kutum.

Wondering if its worth camping the Marketplace to pick off items.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

J posted:

Artisan's memories are more P2W than this, if those didn't make someone quit I'm not sure why this would.
Actually curious on the numbers for this. Napkin math ahead, numbers may be inaccurate since I have no idea of the real values (aka not the fake market prices) of this stuff as a TRI scrub that has spent $0 past buyin with no boss items that shows up every few months for a week or so of random gameplay

Artisan = 3 memory frag saved = 2.25 million
Priced @ $0.50 per artisan = 4.5 million / $
This ignores that memory fragments are worth more than their 750k ingame market price.

Cron stone = 1 million ingame cost
Priced @ 219 for $32 = $0.15 per cron stone = 6.66 million / $
This ignore the fact that I don't think anyone actually buys cron stones for their ingame cost. Instead if considering the resources saved by crons instead...
TET market value varies by boss gear, but let's take 1500 million, and a TRI value of 500 million, meaning a TET->PEN attempt has a cost of (TET - TRI) * failure rate, so assuming 0.9
~900 million saved
Cron protecting this costs ~1200 stones = $180 = 5 million / $

So broadly comparable if looking at most boss gear. Also this is why cron stones are inefficient if bought for their ingame cost (1.2 billion to save 0.9 billion) for most things.

Accessories look to be a different story however.
Let's take TET ogre ring at 10 billion, TET->PEN thus costs 9 billion. With crons, apparently there is only partial protection, with a 50% chance at downgrade (instead of destruction). gently caress the math let's just say a cost of 5 billion.
Cron protection on this is ~3000 stones = $450 = 11 million / $

Double the amount.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 31, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Uhhh...guys, he's a brand new account and new player.

Doing 56 in a few hours is feasible if you already have resources. An established player can simply drop 40 to 200 million gold for a +15 to TRI green primary & offhand (alternately - use quest gear obtained from a prior character) and moves their armor and accessories worth several hundred million over to the new character, get on a high tier horse, and run an optimal leveling route leveling every minute or so, reaching level 50 in less than an hour. Another 3 hours to get to 56 on foot in Mediah, though if you invest more heavily in gear (or have gear worth in the billions) that can go faster.

A brand new account does not have those resources. They will need to actually spend time doing random rear end kill quests in the ends of nowhere to get the quest gear, or to shove blackstones one by one into green gear to upgrade it. True, they do get daily login rewards and crap that adds up to 200-300 million over the course of a month, but that is backloaded, and he wants to do this in 7 days, so no waiting for the bailout economy. And also with zero familiarity with the skills and item systems.

I don't think it's super poopsocky just because it is admittedly easy, but it's not an afternoon's work for a new player. I'll guess at maybe 10-15 hours?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 5, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

Just have a friend ferry them around on their t8 courier
Actually yeah this would work.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

J posted:

Log in today/tomorrow only on a character that's completed the main story questline and talk to your black spirit and do the lantern wish quest to get a random piece of boss gear.
Got a dandelion box that I'll probably never unpack woo?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Khorne posted:

I don't get why people dump money into it, though.
Las Vegas exists for a reason. Enough people get that RNG high.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You forgot that they changed the Velia band music. RIP the RIP ears.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
TLDR if you stay on for the required length of time and run the kill quests you get 48 hits for an overall 35% chance of a TRI.

If you fail and have run the kill quest 6 times you turn all your failures for a DUO.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

alright, that clears things up

So i can accept the quest on my processer hanging out in heidel and do the quest on another character? I never realised that the quest log was account wide
Only some quests are account wide - mostly these event quests, but there's a couple others.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The worst part of the enhancing system is all the loving prep work surrounding it. Gotta purposefully fail upgrades on cheap crap you don't care (whoops that actually upgraded time to waste more time) about to improve the chances on expensive stuff you do. And if you get an RNG downgrade, time to swap characters to attempt your reupgrade using a lower failstack to avoid wasting the higher chance.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Parks and Rec (link on OP still works) still probably has a dozen dudes in varying states of AFK

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently game is free outside of Steam as well
https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/3654

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 28, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I started this game up again for the first time in years and holy poo poo does it bombard you with windows of random stuff. If I just log on do I get the awards, or is there some sort of button or quest or something I have to do?
Button on the lower right

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jimlit posted:

They are also handing out 50+ 530% xp/skill scrolls in the loyalty shop for 1 loyalty a piece. Just now saw it.
That was on offer from last May onwards.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
There are generally safe spots to park a horse around. You figure out once you stay in an area long enough.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
IIRC there are also pets that aggro mobs as well.

The best low level mob murderers (defined as <45) are probably ranger LMB on a horse and sorc Down+RMB on a horse.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 20, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
PC version lets you buy slots for loyalties (the currency you get as a login bonus) as well. Don't recall the cost, maybe around a month of logins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You'll find that some skills aren't worth using, and there's also quite a few skills that are bad enough that you'll actually want to lock them (via using the lock icon) to prevent even using them accidently.

Most of the popular classes probably average around 4 actives that they cycle through I think (with easy to transition between keys).
e.g. Lahn Awakening would be cycling ↑+F, ↓+RMB, LMB+RMB and sometimes to your preference ↑+RMB or SHIFT+RMB
e.g. Guardian Awakening is ↑+F into SHIFT+F & cycling SHIFT+RMB or SHIFT+Q

With more difficult content that doesn't get oneshot as then you actually need to consider the attack modifiers (back/down/aerial) and sequencing suddenly matters (and you might need to use more skills that debuff). Other classes (usually the older ones) can require more keyboard smashing even before this point.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 7, 2020