Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

well that covers a few bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Myriarch posted:

Really? Wow. 10 years ago I (and a class of 20 others) did soldering in high school in a normal sized classroom with no ventilation beyond the school AC. Every other day for a month class would start, kids grabbed their irons and solder (but no goggles) and spend almost an hour nonstop soldering. Maybe lead free solder doesn't have a ventilation requirement?

At university ten years ago, we didn't have vent hoods or goggles. Just us and the irons.

Been doing copper pipe soldering (with a torch) off and on for the last year. I wear my goggles if other people are doing it above me, but if it's just me then gently caress no.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

edit: ^^^ :tinfoil: ^^^

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Colossal has an Oscar-winning documentary from 1958 on their site, and it's a really awesome 10-minute watch in addition to being a bit of a treasure trove of OSHA moments, such as this one:

At first I wasn't sure I wanted to watch this, but I'm glad I did.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Arrath posted:

Since it's a binary compound there isn't much The Man can do to restrict the sale of the two otherwise benign ingredients. Not without congressional action at least and :lol: good luck.

Some friends and I bought the ingredients for thermite online and melted an old barbeque.

Take that, government. :argh:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

How to start then put out an electrical fire.

Step 1: Let it be winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r4NALv0Ao

I'll freely admit my ignorance for industrial electric stuff, but I feel like "I don't know what happened, lets throw some snow on it" is the mentality that might have caused this problem in the first place. :ussr:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Staryberry posted:

Jimmy John's "Freaky Fast" sandwich delivery guy, climbs over a moving train to deliver a sandwich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0D3r7tqQ4A

Hey, at least he wore his helmet!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That's a harness he's wearing, right?

Right?

:staredog:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Helicopter pilots are loving crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08K_aEajzNA

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

The last metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace.

Mithaldu posted:

styrofoam chat:
Jesus, I guess it's time to invest in an electric resistance soldering tool.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

According to the video description, it happened during a car accident. He suffered no visual impairment afterwards.

"I'm just going to go to drive to the store". *puts on safety glasses and helmet*

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Dollars to donuts this will turn into the civilians getting the weekend off and the CanForce members working double shifts.

"You signed an unlimited liability contract as a condition to joining the military, right? Here's your headlamp, keep your blackberry charged. God save the Queen".

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Glass Joe posted:

I bet he isn't tied off either.

His neck might be, hence the nonchalant attitude.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

MG3 posted:

I'll try to take pictures next time they do it, but I know all of the guys and they probably wouldn't like me taking pictures for no reason lol.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

a masterpiece

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Microsoft Multiple Sclerosis Paint

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

A non-goon friend of mine just pointed out that that ladder can actually be folded out to be a long single ladder that reaches fine to that height.

But then it's not a work platform anymore, and can only be used for access and egress! :pseudo:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

upload that to imgur.com bruh.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

:cry:

Taken to hospital, started immediate 9hr surgery, life saved. That's the sort of thing that makes you say thank god for modern medicine.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

YF19pilot posted:

Factor of Safety is the ratio between the absolute failure point and where the manufacturer says "DO NOT EXCEED". So, limiting to 85% capacity is a FOS of roughly 1.175. Which is loving narrow in my opinion. In order to certify an aircraft you have to exceed a FOS of 1.5. Most buildings have a FOS between 3 and 9.

Taking this even further, the reason aircraft get away with such a low factor of safety is they get maintained and inspected like crazy. Even so, over time the "real" load limit is hardly guaranteed. The factor of safety is a buffer for unexpected/incalculable poo poo like degredation. You should NEVER shoot for the "actual" limit, as it will very likely fail before then.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

Taken by a coworker in a local grocery store.

Fallows posted:

i mean thats just as safe as being on the floor really

I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah I agree actually.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

zedprime posted:

OSHA requirements are for >6ft which he seems to be under.

nozh posted:

are OSHA requirements really that low? in Canada we only have to care about fall arrest and railings above 8 feet.
WorkSafeBC is 10 feet, and you don't need any personal fall protection when erecting scaffolding if you stay "inside" the scaffolding :getin:

Sammus posted:

I've seen people tie off when they're only going to be 2 feet off the ground in a manlift.
I can get behind this. Even low to the ground, the jerking motion that some lifts can do could easily throw me out of the basket or off the platform any height.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 11, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Add me to the list of people wasting their mornings on runaway diesel videos.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I fully admit I only watch F1 for the cool crashes.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Finally, we got a call back from his wife. Turns out yesterday he decided to climb into one of his cranes for whatever reason....with only one usable arm. He promptly fell trying to climb into the cab and couldn't put out his good arm to break his fall because it would probably end up broken, so he landed directly on his face.
"No really, I had 3 points of contact, they were just all on my face."

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That second video makes it look intentional, like there was a film crew monitoring the cameras. If true, gently caress that job.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That job would just crush me. I could never work there.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

What if a cave man tries to use the ruins of a skyscraper for shelter and gets tetanus from some exposed rebar? Ban rebar until it can be made cave-man safe. If you can't guarantee your building will be safe in 100,000 years and have sufficient statues and sculptures that warn sub-human mutants then you shouldn't be building anything, you're putting future societies at risk.

What if a post-apocalyptic survivor's mutant offspring lose the ability to taste salt and try to drink the ocean? We need a massive wall of scary earthworks along the coasts to make sure they only drink fresh water.

What if a blind mutant cyberman finds an old warehouse from the before times and can't understand the safety warnings on the overhead gantry crane and exceeds the safe operating limits and doesn't even understand the difference between the maximum failure load and the maximum safe operating load??

Oh poo poo guys, the OSHA inspector is here. Put out your cigarettes and get the PPE on that you left in the truck.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

Always assume the worst.

Anyway, the reddit thread it came from also had this absolutely terrifying related video about Delta P:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

ugh god, that crab :barf:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Imagine that but it's you cause you didn't mind the Delta P like a moron, you stupid piece of poo poo.

I'm not sure how that video does it, but wow. You're immediately interested, then it hits you with fear before teaching some really important and not so obvious stuff. Than it makes you feel like a loving rear end in a top hat moron for not knowing about it already. It's a masterpiece.

Waffle! posted:

You don't have to wait until the apocalypse is over for people to get poisoned by radiation because they didn't understand it. Good episode of Star Trek about it, too.

OSHA: No amount of signage can compensate for human stupidity.
Trap sprung. I haven't watched much TNG (as the average goon), but that was a good episode that I remember well.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah. Here it is, closed of course.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Pssh. The cool places aren't even monitored, like Ramsar in Iran. Lots of radium ores, lots of hot springs, radium dissolves into the hot water and then precipitates out in the springs, whole area has the highest natural background count on earth. And no elevated cancer rate, which is a (a) neat and (b) kind of fatal to the LNT exposure model.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11769138

Growing up immune to radiation sounds loving badass.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

There's the "Cooper vane" that held back stairs closed on some airplanes, named after DB Cooper who hijacked a plane, stole some money, and jumped out the back.

This js actually a pretty neat story, but it's a shame the guy probably died when he jumped.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

:psyduck:

At least it's not a wire lanyard.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That sure isn't the crazy eyes of a pathological liar!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I bet he felt pretty poached afterwards.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

:stonklol:

Is that actually what it looks like?

The pit from Mortal Combat? Yeah, pretty close.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why are Kinder surprise eggs illegal in the US

I had to google this, and I'm still amazed.

I understand the intent behind an "imbedded toy" law from 1938, but it's still a little crazy.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I wonder if a judge would buy "self defense" as a reason for shooting those.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That reminds me of another time where someone flipped their car at the entranceway to a gated community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2qzjdH46gY&t=24s

I cut to the chase, but the leading 20 seconds also demonstrates her terrible driving

Deteriorata posted:

Best part of this is the gas filler cap popping open at 0:41.
"Do I pull this to unlock the door?" :ohdear:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I remember burning magnesium strips in High School, and they were bright as gently caress. The instructor warned us to not look directly at it. I can only imagine the eye-damage some of those people got from this explosion.

edt: vvv whoa vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 16, 2016