Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tenzarin posted:

Can make like a funny gif of this happening?

That's what your imagination is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gorilla Salad posted:

I swear there used to be a bunch of images going around the web of some sort of junction box which was literally crammed full of snakes having a snake orgy.

My google-fu has failed me, although I did find a tonne of pictures with a single snake hiding in electrical boxes.

Also this:

Those holes are really big, WTF made that? Termites?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Wasps. You can see them in the top right corner.

Oh, wow, thanks. Now that I see them, they're everywhere! I'm blind as hell.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sure, it looks unsafe, but look on the bright side: if you live up there this is a great day to kill your relatives/roommates. Get rid of a pesky mother-in-law, and sue the owner for wrongful death. Chaching!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FrankieGoes posted:

Sure, but writing a citation because there was a snickers wrapper in a garbage can without a lid on it probably isn't going to prevent a lot of underground fires or roof collapses.

Yeah, probably not. It's probably a thing where they figure if things get sloppy anywhere on site, there is a chance that other workers who observe that standard being acceptable will spread the slackness until it does lead to something dangerous. This way every worker gets the "no sloppy trash baskets" message drilled into their heads.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mozi posted:

'gotta get out of here before they find the sawn-through beams...'

Too late, the carpenter sold you out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Aramoro posted:

This is the one he was on mostly

I love that there are libertarians see things like this and think "I want to live like that".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

KoRMaK posted:

Welp, guess its time to start taking that cholesterol medicine now that I'm 30.

For serious get some Omega 3 capsules. It has for real non-woo health benefits, and the most common side-effect is fish burps. http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/omega-3-fatty-acids-fact-sheet

Fish burps are pretty unpleasant tho.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I have a friend who is a middle school teacher and doesn't keep any hand sanitizer in his classroom

That reckless fool! He's going to kill us all!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cumslut1895 posted:

I think you're forgetting that Dubai is going to be sucked beneath the sands like Ubar the second the oil runs out.

In which case the buildings will stay largely intact for thousands of years, right? Give future alien archeologists something neat to look at.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Movin' on up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess this fits here. On of our site managers saw a mysterious door that had a safety barrier on the floor in front of it, caution tape at chest level, and multiple signs saying "DO NOT OPEN".

He opened the door.

Turns out the room was being renovated and scaffolding had been placed in front of the Forbidden Door. The scaffold went down and I don't know what other damage happened, but there were no casualties aside from the site manager getting his head put on a pike as he got shitcanned like five minutes after the incident.

Bad luck. If it had turned out lazy employees had put up the barrier so they could goof off in that room all day and no one would ever check on them, then he would have been a hero!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MG3 posted:

He looks british, in which case that's totally not fake. They're dumb as bricks over there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NLJP posted:

Incidentally I always love poo poo like this. As a former archaeologist this still blows my mind. Just look at it!

I'm way more familiar with dry stone walls in northern europe but those are amateur hour compard to this.

If you look into it you'll realize those walls were made by aliens.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Robot Lincoln posted:

One morning a pup came in with 4 pallets

I, for one, don't think dogs should be allowed to handle hazardous material.

Stay safe, pallet pup.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

neonbregna posted:

When LASIK accidents do happen there are no witnesses left.

Baconization is certain.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mistle posted:

There's a wooden dowel in that cake :stonklol:

Yeah, load baring cake tends to slump, especially if it gets moved around after being assembled or is left sitting out in the heat. Tall cakes usually need some kind of support to avoid collapse.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Airborne Viking posted:

cool, which one did you get your ppl on?

And did it have an air frame parachute? I hear those are good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Krinkle posted:

I've never been stung by a live bee. Only dead bees floating in pools.

Zombees?

:ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Decrepus posted:

Yeah, RIP.

Yes, RIP that poor cab, it didn't deserve this. The driver escapes and runs away tho.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Robo Reagan posted:

better stand around in this flooded area that's full of electrical outlets/wires/lights/etc yup seems like a great idea

Would you like to try to exit by the door where the water is rushing in, or the door where the water is rushing out? :getin:

I don't know what I'd do in that situation. The current is going to be strongest near any open doors. I guess I could try to get up on a sturdy piece of furniture in an area of low current and hope the furniture is strong enough to resist the water, but who knows how well a random counter or whatever is going to be bolted to the floor? Once you commit to an island you're left hoping the water level doesn't rise high enough in the store to drown you, because IIRC most Chinese people don't know how to swim. Ideally you want to get to higher ground, but that means finding a staircase without having to pass through any high current strength areas. And at any moment the electricity could cut out, leaving you to try to figure it out in the dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRWIfCpxNK4&t=114s

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wasabi the J posted:

Referencing my experience with floods, both sustained and flash, I would say your best bet is to get against a wall facing downstream; debris can crush you against immobile objects if you're on the upstream side.

Get out of the water -- try to work towards up, not outside; staying out of the water is better than getting outside, unless there's a danger of being submerged or the structure collapsing -- and even in the event of a flood being bad enough to take out a building, you will likely be swept rapidly down stream.

If you are swept away, stay calm, keep your head above water, and gently work your way to the banks or to a solid structure that can support your full weight. DO NOT touch the bottom if you're swept away -- you can trip on poo poo under water, get entangled, impaled, or even just step into a hole you can't see. If you have to walk in flood waters, use a stick to feel out in front of you.

Basically to avoid being a flood casualty the best advice is stay high and dry if possible, otherwise work towards that goal at any cost.

http://www.almanac.com/content/flood-safety-and-survival-tips

Cool tips, thanks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Verdafolio posted:

they also used to use gasoline at home for dry cleaning. and often this happened in the kitchen.

people also used to fall asleep with a cigarette and set themselves on fire. today cigarettes self-extinguish, and that's also why there are no more cases of "spontaneous human combustion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMku2mhrDeo

Hopefully Trump will make america great again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nozh posted:

I wish the video was closer to the action because I don't know how you gently caress up your cuts so bad that that happens

From the description:

quote:

My neighbor told me they were going to have their tree professionally dropped, and wanted to know if I needed any of my trees dropped - I replied "no, I only drop dangerous trees". I then asked if they were going to limb it up before they drop it because it has a lot of back weight, to which he replied "yep". You can imagine my surprise when I returned home and saw they were over 95% committed, with the limbs still on and no ropes.

Apparently the tree was back heavy but they didn't trim it first? And they didn't bother to use any ropes or anything to help guide the tree.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moist von Lipwig posted:

hahaha "My house!"

"My bedroom!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Airborne Viking posted:

Alright, what is going on here?

It looks like a heat pump/air conditioner, but the part on the right is supposed to be outside. With both parts on the inside, it is roughly as efficient at cooling (or heating) as a refrigerator with the door open.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

f#a# posted:

Anti-OSHA.jpg:

Wow, looks like Dwarf Fortress has finally gotten some graphics updates.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

For safety you should always turn the light off before changing the bulb.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Locator posted:

1/2" utility grade galvanized strand guy wire has a minimum breaking strength of 25,000 lbs.

Nice! :fap:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That might be okay though? The stools are wood, wood doesn't conduct electricity well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sagebrush posted:

I would say that a good rule is generally "if it hurts, it's bad." Cause pain is usually a sign that something is wrong with your position, see.

Zero gravity workstations for all!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chief Savage Man posted:

There's also never any justification for using the term "plebs".

:colbert:

e:

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 17, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BattleMaster posted:

I took a class on risk analysis and I chose elevators because I used to be afraid of them (and in buildings that are tall enough to feel how long the cables are, still am) and learned that most of the people who die because of elevators die by falling into the shaft, either while it is under construction or because they are rescuing someone and gently caress up or try to escape and gently caress up. It seems like if you manage to get into the elevator car you're pretty safe as long as you only try to leave through the door.

Due to some messed up poo poo when she was a kid my mom is severely claustrophobic, including not riding in elevators. In her 20s she was seeing a psychiatrist and his idea was to get two big grocery bags (paper grocery bags back then) with tall stuff like celery on top so she can't see over the bags, then just step onto the elevator without looking and concentrate on counting the celery leaves. So she does it, she has this forest of celery blocking her view, the elevator doors open, but she just can't stop herself from taking a peek: the elevator car wasn't there. For whatever reason the doors opened by mistake. That's when she decided to just live with her fear of elevators and take the stairs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rude.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Krinkle posted:

Do I mean false negative then?
Ugh, I can't get a screen shot of it because my shortcut key for puu.sh makes me guess the number 4. Now I'm colorblind, officially, for bad guessing of the number 4 too many times. Thanks a lot.

There were a couple where the difference was very subtle, and I saw at least 1 grey one where I couldn't see a number at all. :shrug: I guess the only thing you can do is buy the $400 magic glasses and take the test again to see if there is a difference.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

To prove I’m not making stuff up, with saturation enhancement:

Are you a bumble bee? :aaa:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lady Demelza posted:

In the US, yes, because houses seem to be spaced relatively well apart. Terraced housing is apparently more common in the UK, in which case you're going to take out your neighbours' houses too. Even if the ones further away look more or less unscathed, the houses prop each other up, so removing one in the row puts the whole terrace at risk of structural failure.

You forgot to mention it's also because in NA our houses are made of wattle and daub. Just sticks and sheetrock. Big bad wolf could blow them down.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gromit posted:

And a "before" from Google Maps.

Mystery solved, that neighbourhood is clearly haunted.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

New Final Destination movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

When you're thinking about "just one atmosphere", try to keep in mind the actual thing we're talking about, this planet's atmosphere, is a pretty dang big thing which, consequently, does actually weigh a heck of a lot.

Nah, it's just air. Air doesn't weigh anything.