Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

wolrah posted:

There's a webcam set up down the street that has captured a number of idiots who are seemingly incapable of understanding that the train is going to follow the tracks and they need to put their cars literally anywhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603kPUzv36M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gorkIF_sVXE

This is some proper deer-in-the-headlights type of poo poo, especially in the second video.

You could go A HINT to the right and be fine, you could go left and be fine, and you could even back the gently caress up WITH EASE and be fine, but nope. Just pump your brakes several times while jerking the wheel, train goes away by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

My brother in law is trapped in his third floor apartment:

Maybe it's the quality of the pic on my phone, but I can't tell what's wrong.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Tarantula posted:

For some reason youtube recommended the love parade disaster. Video maybe :nms: because there were deaths at the incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfUDxURy-Qw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Parade_disaster

Just watching people stuck in a crowd like that is making me a little anxious. Lesson to be learned? Large crowds and tunnels are bad.

The lesson learned in that gently caress-up is a little more than that. The whole incident was basically the perfect storm of political posturing, cutting corners, cheaping-out on safety, lack of communication, nepotism, obscene amounts of organisational negligence and that was just the poo poo that went down before the festival. They were basically begging for any little thing to go wrong that would have caused mass panic and countless deaths in pretty much ANY setting.

What's so crazy about this incident is that what happened didn't even come remotely close to the worst case you could have had there. It wouldn't even register on a scale of 1 to 10 of the worst outcomes that could have happened in that setting. Mass brawl, fire, sudden bad change in weather / torrential downpour, literally anything.
There was never a real breakout of mass panic, twenty one people were just casually crushed to death with the majority of the mass slowly passing by barely even noticing. Only the people closest to that one tiny confined space were even aware that it wasn't just a bunch of people passing out, but people actually fighting for their lives.

Tens of thousands of people were funneled through a total of 1300 feet of tunnel from two directions into a comically undersized on-ramp to the festival area, and at some point, the police even blocked that on ramp, and "only" twenty-one people died. The infrastructure-planning was so batshit insane that only twenty-one people dying was quite possibly the best-case outcome you could have mathematically calculated for that dumb festival. If absolutely anything even minutely worse would have happened to spark an actual mass panic, the death toll would have probably been in the high hundreds easily.

The festival wasn't even close to halfway-through when poo poo hit the fan iirc. One of the accidentally-beneficial calls that were made was to keep the floats on the festival grounds running, instead of shutting the music down out of respect for the tragedy, because the on-ramp TO the festival area would have turned into THE ONLY EXIT from the festival grounds, and the "party" continuing kept removing people from the powderkeg-equation. Think two streams of around 40,000 people at the time pushing towards the T-section of the ramp, and then being compacted by a third stream started by the 200,000 plus people already in the festival area trying to leave.

And here's the kicker: Three weeks ago, the court handling the criminal prosecution over the past 8 years suggested that the proceedings could be concluded with no verdicts rendered. :suicide:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 13, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm late to the party, but I've identified the most OSHA-bit about this vid

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

:stare:

That reminds me of a video from Copenhagen Suborbitals, from when their rocket tried to blow up a test stand. They had a gopro sitting by the rocket nozzle to get some slow-motion footage, and it managed to catch the resulting fiery inferno firsthand.

Video should start at about 1:10, high speed inferno should start shortly thereafter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-4n-2MtECE&t=78s

e: watch the first part of the video for what the rocket failure looked like from afar.

Considering that they are likely to remain suborbital judging by their efforts, the company is aptly-named.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Holy Jesus, that counterweight had quite a trip :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

This not having sound is a travesty

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

BMan posted:

You can't see it, but there's a controller at the end of that hallway

I understood this reference and am now reminded how hard I poo poo my pants that time.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Those poor drat tires :smith:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Humphreys posted:

The Pentagon Wars needs to be a permanent sticky on each page as the posterboy for what happens when too many people with different mindsets get involved in a specific task. And Yes the Sequel is going to be about the F35

Excuse me, but the never-to-be-completed airport BER actually needs to be stickied instead of the Bradley as soon as we get a good parody movie about it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

TorpedoFish posted:

For those who don't know, the Berlin Brandenburg Airport is (was) supposed to open in 2011, replacing two older airports and serve as a regional hub for Air Berlin. It still is not open. It is now probably approaching €10 million over budget. Air Berlin no longer exists. It...has not been a particularly successful project, and there's a fair bit of OSHA-esque fuckery.

Miles of cables were installed improperly. They - somehow - built escalators too short, such that the escalator took you up to a short, two or three step stairway. Hundreds of doors were mislabeled, meaning that in an emergency there would be chaos. The roof is alleged to weigh twice as much as it should.

Also, the fire safety system did not work - smoke extractors did not extract smoke, alarms didn't work (see above re: wiring), etc. It turns out that the engineer tasked with designing the fire safety system was not in fact an engineer, which may have been related.

In a desperate attempt to get the airport open, though, a plan was conceived. Instead of a functional fire alarm system in what was hoped to be one of the larger airports in Europe, the airport would hire about 800 minimum-wage workers to be stationed throughout the airport with bullhorns and mobile phones. If anyone saw a fire or smelled smoke, the employee would call 112 and lead passengers to safety.

Fortunately, the government accurately described that plan as idiotic and refused to certify the airport to open.

Today the airport is still not open. As I mentioned, they've had to start replacing some display screens and lights which have been running non-stop since 2011. There is a daily train service, which no one can buy a ticket for, because the ventilation system depends on trains moving air through the tunnels. I can't find any information about whether they've installed longer escalators.

Schönefeld airport, which shares a runway when Brandenburg and was meant to be closed when Brandenburg opened, has since completed one renovation and begun a significant expansion.

This doesn't quite do it justice. Where regular smoke extraction systems (you know, the ones that work) are designed to vent smoke up and out, generally through the roof, BER had a system of lateral smoke extraction vents leading to ducts that were meant to move the smoke DOWN THROUGH THE AIRPORT and out through the basement. The design was picked because the oversight board was impressed with the engineer's audacity. Oh, and that engineer? Yeah, turns out he wasn't a real engineer. Shocker.

I did an effortpost on BER a while back in another subforum, and I'll try to dig that up, but the smoke extraction system beautifully encapsulates the idiocy of that project.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That is just loving beautiful

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Ähem, gently caress that dude recording the aftermath, very much.

"What? This is a public street!"

Yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Pasco posted:

"Oh my god there's a giant hole in the road, I better pull over and block the only other lane!"

But he put his hazard light on, he did nothing wrong :colbert: