Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

darkwasthenight posted:

Hahahahahaha loving hell. Lad's going for it! 🇬🇧 There's internal video too. He got his 600 quids worth and then some.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157278888726111&id=628356110

I'd be as angry as this guy if I knew everyone filming my rage quit would do so in vertical.

How is it that easy for that to fall over? Shouldn't there be a ton of counter weight in the base to keep it all on the ground? Is that a discount Harbor Freight forklift or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Cleaning and restoring the ceiling Grand Central Station was basically the same- they even left a square of tobacco sludge on the ceiling:

Big link- the crab is pointing at it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/NYC_Grand_Central_Terminal_ceiling.jpg

Wow, that's really cool. I was a bit suspicious, so here's a neat, small explanation that corroborates the claim.

Kith posted:

Also I can't tell if those are snow chains on the tires or the new fancy 3D-printed self-healing wheels. Probably the former, but the latter would be cool too.

Nah, that's just when your friend starts crocheting and thus starts crocheting everything.

PittTheElder posted:

second time a train has derailed here in a year or so.

Did they remember to fix the bridge after the first time?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

ymgve posted:

Was on a flight where some did that and the stewardess became pissed. Full on SIT YOUR rear end DOWN NOW angry mode.

The last flight I was on, I was amazed how bad people were at not standing up after landing.

We landed and stopped; seat belt light still on. People immediately got up and started grabbing overhead stuff and whatnot. Pilot comes on and says we don't have a gate, please remain seated.

We move a little closer to the gate and stop. People again get up and start shuffling about. Once again reminded to please stay seated.

Rinse and repeat a couple more times.

I'm just a passenger and I wanted to shout back at people to just sit and be patient. I don't know how the crew are able to restrain themselves from yelling at all of the idiots who can't pay any attention at all.

:suspense:

I'm trying to get rid of my old NXT set to remove clutter, but this is making me reconsider just keeping it.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Awww, is this where baby shoes come from? :angel:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Ceiling fan posted:

I pulled my backup hunk of metal out of my fob and locked the rest of the fob in my trunk. I didn't want to risk dunking the delicate electronics in the fob in saltwater. When I got back to my car, unlocked it, and pulled the trunk release lever, my car accused me of gently caressing it.

The main advantage of keyless fobs is the increased return on investment on your taxicab medallions, your uber and lyft stocks, and your 24hr emergency locksmith business.

My 20-year-old truck has a key pad on the door. I just throw my keys under the seat, lock the door, and then use the 5 digit code to unlock my vehicle when I've returned from the beach.

My keys are also ~50% smaller than those giant combined fobs I've seen (at least, the Jeep ones).

Technology :shrug:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how you could think that a door with a window to the outside could somehow lead to a bathroom.

The same way most lovely decisions are caused: intoxication and diarrhea.

GotLag posted:

Wear a helmet if you're so worried about hitting your head.

I would not be worried about my head, I'd just be worried about the poor bridge.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

I'm the HDR glow

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

dphi posted:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/video-shows-moment-man-crushed-by-elevator-at-manhattan-promenade-building/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:stare:

Maybe it has desensitized me, but FWIW, I was in the audience for the Defcon 22 elevator talk, and that loving thing gave me nightmares that night (and, among other unrelated things, did not make for a fun flight home). This video is not good, but far from the worst, IMO. Still just additional reasons for me to do more of a leap than a step out of elevators, though.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Nenonen posted:

Draining an electropool turns it into an electric river. Quick, build a hydroelectric plant to collect the energy back before anyone gets hurt!

Watt's the current like on an electric river? Should one build a dam to add resistance to it?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Nth Doctor posted:

Out of curiosity, I went and found the intersection. There was no sane reason to take a semi through this and attempt a turn.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7473679,-73.8746658,3a,75y,128.53h,85.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sE0WMxGWi-_q4NrwqNeOUsQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

God I hope that's not actually a truck route. I live on a (residential) corner that's part of a truck route where they routinely come through for similar left turns. Luckily, we don't have people parking on the shoulders. I can't imagine trying to get through there.

Victim blaming: Do New Yorkers routinely park over the Stop line/in the cross walk?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

The Lone Badger posted:

Wouldn't it have been easier to build the prosthesis then cut his arm off?

As long as he measured twice and cut once it's all good.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Mr. Apollo posted:

Samsung had a "satellite" (not really, just a satellite looking thing that was carried high up by a weather balloon) built so you could send your selfies into space. The balloon popped and the "satellite" came crashing down to Earth and landed on someones farm.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/weird/satellite-lands-in-michigan-yard/69-8ea9d127-83a7-4729-9f20-6b79bbf77a11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t0OFZ6TUIg

They didn't where they couldn't because they Samsungn't.

Varkk posted:

Shortly after starting high school one of the older kids came off his motorcycle and slid some distance along the road. He was wearing full protective gear. He stood in front of a whole school assembly and showed everyone the big hole worn through his helmet. Then policeman reiterated the message, buy good safety gear, always use good safety gear. This is why Helmets are mandatory etc.

When I was in elementary school, they had a bike safety week where they tried to teach kids to wear helmets and whatnot. This included a thing where kids were encouraged to make posters or something promoting helmets/bike safety, which included prizes for the best submissions. I entered something I made and, basically, I learned that helmets and hand signals are dumb, but if you make a poster about how they're good you can get a gift card.

Essentially that, and not wanting helmet hair, is why I don't wear a helmet while bicycling.

If I ever got a motorcycle I'd still probably not wear a helmet, so as to not gently caress up my hair, and just avoid crashing. I probably won't get a motorcycle.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

What the gently caress. You can't post this without an ending! Especially after this long.

WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!

gently caress that tweet is from the 25th. THERE MUST BE ANSWERS!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Lazyhound posted:

firefighters got him

Yeah, I found this. It sounds like he was rescued okay. This article had a bit more detail but the videos didn't work for me.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Lars Blitzer posted:

Adding to that was the fact that the company's name doesn't show on any business registry in the province of Alberta apparently, so they've got to answer for that, too.

I don't know anything (about Canada, et al; or otherwise), but it sounds like this company didn't have rights to do business things in this city:

quote:

The City of Edmonton has no record of Aurum holding a business licence to operate in Edmonton.

The city would be responsible for enforcing penalties against any company working without a licence. Fines could run about $500.

:getin: and, yet :frogout:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

I'm really disappointed this didn't say "crow-operation".

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20190908X51027

The pilot reported, that while maneuvering at a low altitude in an aerial applicator airplane, he dumped about 350 gallons of pink water for a gender reveal. The airplane "got too slow", aerodynamically stalled, impacted terrain, and came to rest inverted.
The Federal Aviation Administration inspector reported that the accident occurred during a low pass for a gender reveal celebration. He added that there were two persons on board the single seat airplane.

Ban gender

"Pink water" sounds way too much like grey/black water from sewage plants.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Worker Dies in Chemical Incident at Buffalo Wild Wings. 8 other workers and 2 customers went to the hospital.
I'm sure that's what the fire chief was told but

If you're going to post this, at least include a picture of the cool crystals they made.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

oohhboy posted:

Why is gender party even a thing? On top of that they keep getting more and more over the top. Letter opening, popping balloons, fireworks, high explosives, water bombing. What's next? Dropping 2000lb bombs, A-10 strafes and drone strikes?

Facebook Aunt had a good response; mine is kind of a more neutral version of devil's advocate. (Note: this is pure internet speculation). To me, it seems like a fairly natural evolution if you were to look at the "it's a boy!"/"it's a girl!" banners that people would put up, and then ask "How can I make this more interesting/unique/fun?".

This kind of aligns with how the original one regrets it. The gender sex reveal may have just meant to be a fun party based on normal questions of parents-to-be, but then it reached the internet and it became... uhhh... something awful.

Ruflux posted:

I'm more concerned about the "left turn yield on green" sign. Surely that should be self-explanatory, unless it's a green arrow light in which case what the hell

I love that the city I live in uses flashing yellow left turn arrows. It's so nice just letting the turn lanes yield and then turn if there's no oncoming traffic.

MononcQc posted:

One of the ironies of automation has always been that you tend to automate the easier stuff first, so when you fall into dangerous situations, you're usually thrown there on short notice, with an eroded skillset you haven't had to practice in a while because it is only useful in rare emergencies.

Another one is that if you require constant monitoring of your process (especially if it's a 1:1 case like a car with a passenger in it, rather than an industrial process where one person may monitor dozens of automatons), then you have not automated that much since you still need to be around with full attention for the task to be done. In such cases, it's often better to automate some repetitive actions that could take focus away rather than automating 90% of the stuff but still requiring full attention.

This is why I'm vocally against self-driving cars and poo poo, and will do my damnest to never get in one. Besides being a software engineer myself, and therefore never trusting other software engineers with my life, this lack of practice seems very dangerous. I can't find the exact article I'm remembering but there was one that really explained the issues of alarm fatigue and skill atrophy that could occur with people ignoring false positives and just not practicing skills like driving.

EDIT:

oohhboy posted:

Eh??? Why would some third party get mad about someone announcing what equipment the baby has? It has nothing to do with you. Making a party of it is increasingly dumb, but when did "It's a boy/girl!" become bigotry? loving hell America.

It's "anti-LGBT" because you're parentsplaining the child's gender when sex does not determine gender. Also, again, just blame the Internet.

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 9, 2019

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Looks like they've already recovered the construction at the NOLA Hard Rock.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Go Gators (clips)!

PurpleXVI posted:

RE: Self-driving cars, I think the only way you'd really make them work is if you entirely separated the automobile and pedestrian/bicycle travel networks, so pedestrians could cross over or under roads and never be at any risk from cars(pedestrian tunnels and bridges, essentially, rather than zebra crossings). If they only had to deal with other self-driving vehicles, all communicating, and perfectly marked travel areas, I believe self-driving cars could be more effective and safe than human drivers(plus then I could just tell my car where to take me and get a nap), but the road network where self-driving cars work perfectly is vastly different from the road network that we currently have(or likely ever will have).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

Platystemon posted:

Yeah and it’s not isolated and it will murder you as happened to that one woman in Australia.

quote:

“The voltage seems to travel up through the faulty charger into her phone and she was wearing earplugs and also operating a laptop which was also plugged into a power point,” Ms Collins said.

“So the (electricity) travelled back down through the earphones to the laptop and into the power point,” she said.

“Two-hundred-and-forty volts (then) travelled up into the phone which obviously the phone isn’t designed to handle.

This one seems like a weird "perfect storm" situation. Am I understanding this correctly that, essentially, a bad phone charger resulted in too much voltage (or electricity quantity, because this was my weak area of physics) going through the charger and phone, into her, and then to out through her touching her laptop?

Fallom posted:

American homes in the 1950s had electrodes sticking out the kitchen walls so you could place hot dogs on them for supper

These are great, and just lol if you haven't followed the 5 Minute Crafts video to discover how easy it is to convert two paperclips into an easy machine for cooking a whole family dinner (of hotdogs) in just four minutes!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

If it weren't for the few scattered concrete blocks to the right of the truck, and the broken parts of the wall on the top left, this scene almost looks completely fine; I'd think I was just looking at a building that had a truck-sized doggy door where they just plow through and it opens upward to let them pass.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Are the things on the bottom bags of [whatever] that just happen to really look like models/die casts of 60s-80s sedans?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Cojawfee posted:

I stopped watching his videos because he went from sort of interesting projects to "WOOOW I'M SO WACKY! Here's something dangerous! This week's video brought to you by some huge brand, they gave me thousands of pounds to make a gun that shoots flame throwers at orphans!"

His (on-screen) personality is annoying, but I must admit that definitely I wish I was him when it comes to skills and tool inventory. His (again, on-screen) behavior may be unsafe, but he definitely embodies the mad scientist aesthetic that I, and presumably millions of other people, have wanted to have. Even if they're WACKY things, all of the ones I've seen still require an impressive amount of skill to make.

I'm not looking for Youtube fame, but drat I loving wish I could make the type of poo poo he can.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I stopped watching Furze after the beach hut video.

For me, that's when he moved from "interesting ideas done with skill and enthusiasm" to "that's loving stupid, someone is going to die"

Video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yox9CKYh7EU

How bad of an idea is this, really? I started this video assuming there were going to be rooms spread out beneath the surface (as in, rooms with sand above them); since this is all straight down, it seems far less absurd. From the video, it's clear the plywood is taking some pressure, but can anyone substantiate how bad it is?

Is a 12ft deep hole actually too much pressure for plywood?

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah this type of video was fun. An interesting build with fun punk music playing during the timelapse bits.

The good music was an added bonus for me while watching this video. :thumbsup:

PinheadSlim posted:

Oh hell yeah I was just watching a bunch of these British Pathe videos and I thought I saw a lot of material for this thread.

I'm not a candy making expert nor am I up to date on what is and isn't OSHA compliant but I think this isn't, around 14 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZK3uVihSE

I like how in England candy-makers-engineers wore the same uniforms as nuclear engineers in Chernobyl.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

What the gently caress was he hoping/expecting to happen? "I'll just disconnect this big rolly thing on a hill and hope it won't roll anywhere."

Given the previous jokes, do trailers have similar air brake systems as trains where it should break when disconnected from pressure?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Powershift posted:

Figured i would hammer this out in the middle of the night but i'm not feeling it. I'll try again after a little sleep. still gonna share the failure :smith:

I've got to figure out how to do it with more obnoxious fonts, and "I'M A TRAINDRIVING TRUCKFUCKLING IRONFORGING BADASS AND I CHANGE FOR NOBODY"

E: V2, still not happy

I'm not a boomer t-shirt designer, but my first thought is that the three professions should all use the same font; it feels weird that "IRON FORGING" is different from the previous two.

I'd recommend checking out some free font websites like Font Squirrel or FontSpace. Maybe try a font that has, for lack of a better word, a "biker" aesthetic to it, like this one.

Also, it never hurts to throw in some skulls, angel/eagle wings, crosses, or ribbon banners.

For further inspiration: :airquote: a friend of mine :airquote: recently received a spam email for t-shirts etc customized with your family name; these screenshots are both hilarious and may help with design ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Gath posted:

What the hell is wrong with riders. They all dont even seem to notice the trucks nevermind forklifts.

I'm pretty sure sitting on a scooter immediately reduces your intelligence by at least 25%.

Source: I live in a college town filled with scooter swarms.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Only vaguely related to OSHA but I'm about 30k posts behind the Crappy Construction thread and they've probably already seen it and I'm sure whoever installed this doesn't care about OSHA.

:psyduck:

I'm almost certainly stating the obvious here, but one of the bathroom's in my parents' house has a setup like the bottom three knobs—I think it even used the same faucet knobs—which was a fairly sane [cold water - tub/shower - hot water] configuration. The other two knobs makes no sense, yet now I really want to know what they do.

:aaaaa: Sinkholes are definitely among my worst fears, and it's good to know that a truck can just lay them upon a road like a loving episode of Looney Tunes.

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 22, 2019