Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Uncle Wemus posted:

Got some OC from my job today. theres a box of matches stored in the flammable contents storage cabinet

edit: jesus i didn't think a cell phone image would be so massive.

I just want to point out that matches are highly flammable so it kind of makes a little bit of sense. Not necessarily the right kind of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

From my commute home today.

Well.. huh.. you've got to admire their creativity!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

EKDS5k posted:

I walk under boom lifts all the time, if something is safe enough to be in while it's raised, it's safe enough to walk under. They all have holding valves that prevent the hydraulics from falling even if all pressure is lost. He still shouldn't have been drilling/working while she was there, though.

Last Saturday a flatbed truck hauling a boom lift hit a bridge because the driver loaded it incorrectly: he had the boom extended way up such that he managed to hit a 15' bridge doing 125km/h. I heard second hand that two of the final drive gears exploded, and that the counterweight (a piece of steel weighing over 2 tons) fell off and skidded 300' to a stop on the highway. No one was injured but Jesus, I bet that made a noise.

Also one of the drivers from my company took a video as he drove by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoG3YR8MTxw

Took me a few double-takes to recognize the Grand Villa, drat that would've been a sight to see. Wish everybody had dash cams like in Russia for things like this.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

EKDS5k posted:

*JLG no poo poo makes a boom lift that goes 185' above the ground. The 1850 SJ. For when you need to go 19 stories on a stick. I've never even seen one, they probably only make a handful of them every year.

I've used the JLG 1250sjp, and holy hell the sway of the machine itself and the wind was pretty drat hard to get over to do my work. 185' seems ridiculous.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

froward posted:

and THAT's why you ALWAYS wear a hard hat!!

i spent the past weekend watching a ton of this channel. i love this. i love him. such a broad range of just-good-enough knowledge.

Did I just watch a man tap and die a potato?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Sponge Baathist posted:

It looks like it has 8 points of connection I see no issue with this. The only failure is on the platform and if that falls off the platform will improve.

Never stand under a suspended load!!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

That was no accident!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

suuma posted:

Most cars made after like 2005 just have the headlights on all the time.

But not the tail lights, which is a huge loving annoyance when it's dusk and pissing rain, grey cars are practically invisible.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

jamal posted:

That is the regular spillway that's chewed up. The emergency overflow spillway is fine. It's just that there are no gates or anything, no water goes into it until the lake is filled and there is no way to control it. So if it keeps raining hard all that extra water just goes out completely uncontrolled.

You say uncontrolled, I say beautiful waterfall!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Why is there no new video yet!?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

Bottled water can't break dams.

Can you imagine a wave of bottles filled with water coming at you though? You may not drown but the blunt force trauma is certainly going to maim you.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

weg posted:

I think the assumption that those are power lines and need to be perfectly horizontal is what sells the illusion of the rotated pic. There is likely a pole cropped out of the shot that would make sense of it.

Power lines going up or down a mountainside are definitely not horizontal, and tend to sag a bit differently.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Dexter fetish?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPkKV6wvLxI

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

and so this is the first time I've realized that a shipping container on a trailer can be opened from either end...

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Goddamn I've heard of that happening but never thought it happened anywhere near me!

Also lol traffic on Lougheed for the drive home

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

No snow tires is definitely OSHA WorksafeBC

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

isnt that the fuel that burns with no visable flame too

Pretty sure that's not allowed anymore...

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Powershift posted:

Big wind come, trucks get sleepy. trains get sleepy. Now everything's on fire.

This is all alberta in the last few hours.

Holy poo poo.

Also the wind storm blew through BC this morning, heavy rain and wind, then an hour later blue skies.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Jet Jaguar posted:

And I would have gotten away with it, too! If it weren't for you MEDDLING FORKLIFTS!

At least they were smart enough to not mess with the forklifts and submit.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

EssOEss posted:

Why does that show the same type of switch twice, once labeling it hot and once labeling it ground/neutral? This picture makes no sense.

Exactly. It's an attempt at explaining how you could have 120v showing between 2 mounting screws in the previous photo.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I'm curious how they got the truck perpindicular to the dock in the first place

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

EKDS5k posted:

An automotive style immobilizer would be a nightmare if it ever malfunctioned (or more likely when someone lost the key), as heavy equipment can't easily be towed out of the way like a car. Just taking the key out doesn't really help because most equipment from a given manufacturer is keyed the same (ie one single key will start every Komatsu loader, excavator, bulldozer, etc). A disconnect with a padlock works alright, but even 90% of those can be defeated by hooking a jumper cable from the battery ground post to the frame. Heavy equipment remains hilariously easy to steal.

That's something I find funny working with scissor and boom lifts, not only are they all keyed the same, but for the most part I've rarely run into ones that actually require a proper key as the barrel is completely hosed and can be turned with anything at all.

I still take the keys out overnight, for the illusion of safety.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I refuse to get in a man-cage on a forklift, I don't want someone else at the controls while I'm up in the air.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Memento posted:

Are you worried someone's going to gently caress with you, or just be incompetent and crash you into something? Get better co-workers maybe :shrug:

Mainly incompetence. It's usually the case where I'm an outside contractor having to trust a warehouse guy I just met... yeah, I'll just rent a scissor lift but thanks for the offer.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Trabant posted:

From the gif thread:

gonna need an explanation for this

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

The hawaii fissure is outputting some serious lava at this moment. Here's a live feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEcLitBiGhY

Is the sound the lava exploding/crashing?

Also I wish we could get a live drone shot of this, it took me a while to realize the black foreground is actually moving.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Messadiah posted:

Is the sound the lava exploding/crashing?

It's actually quite soothing, like a thunderstorm.

This photo is cool and terrifying.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Space Jam posted:

today at work we had a guy die. he slipped on a puddle and fell, bracing himself on a wooden plank that knocked over a helium tank. also someones coffee that spilled on him. the nozzle hit an anvil and broke off. the tank went shooting across the floor and bounced off two walls and impaled the guy, dragging him 500ft across the floor and into a furnace which we kept open for ease of access. barely knew him. rip.

so basically you had a rube goldberg situation going on to murder this poor guy, rip

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I'm impressed the rock stayed upright, I expected it to just roll right out, flattening the bedside.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Definitely getting picked last for dodgeball

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Can't see her shoes, assuming dead

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

More like a rockberg though, really.

gently caress that lava river is cool.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

Looking at photos of the crash site, I'm amazed there was only the one death,

Buildings make good crumple zones

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I recently stumbled on a youtube channel that's OSHA as gently caress. Sometimes it's a lack of PPE, sometimes they'll push something towards the jet with their hand or something way too short. But they always lick them. It's, like, their thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFAJqAuiyPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3gWcczxj-s

hey let's bust open this ancient rock and lick the water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn9Od4oP8D0

I encourage my coworkers to lick things they really shouldn't all the time and they never do, this channel is for me.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

sooooooo what's on the picnic table and where did it come from?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

hahahaha I didn't watch until the end, that's great!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

This is probably a stupid question but I've wondered this before. Assuming both of those vehicles share an owner, does the insurance company frown upon (more than normal I guess) accidents where the policyholder of both vehicles is the same entity?

Not sure but makes me think of BC's insurance which is provincially run. Every single accident is them against themselves.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

gently caress SNL for not allowing Canada to watch their videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Platystemon posted:

It’s good thing there are no heavy and poorly maintained vehicles driven recklessly around this scaffolding.

I've walked under this without noticing, gently caress. Thanks.