Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ika posted:

We've had to evacuate the company building two times in the last few years because they found bombs nearby while building some new buildings. And these are all farmer's fields

This has such a cool name, the Iron Harvest

quote:

Despite the condition of the shells, they remain very dangerous. The French Département du Déminage (Department of Mine Clearance) recovers about 900 tons of unexploded munitions every year. Since 1945, approximately 630 French clearers have died handling unexploded munitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Convince the right people that TERRISTS could detonate it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No you got it, its also the exact same reason why the navy's newest boat dissolves in water.

I thought we figured this out in the eighteenth century.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The problem with “nuclear plants will shut down automatically” is that they need active cooling for weeks afterwards as the short‐lived isotopes in the fuel decay.

Normally this is no problem, they draw power from the grid, but the grid won’t stay stable for long in the absence of human intervention. Once the grid goes down, the back‐up generators kick on, but without humans keeping them supplied with fuel, they’ll fail, too.

e: f;b

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some dam designs require seepage to be pumped from their foundations. Those are in trouble without maintenance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blistex posted:

A place like Dubai is going to see their buildings lasting hundreds of years after the skyline of New York flattens itself.

I get what’s better about the ESB vs. the Willis Tower, but what’s different about Dubai’s construction?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adix posted:

Dubai's weather

Oh right.

What about a place like Singapore, which has never been hotter than 36.0°C nor cooler than 19.4°C? I expect it would beat Dubai.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 22, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I couldn't find any good articles on Hoover having the same problem, but don't lots of dams have problems with sediment accumulation?

I think the Glen Canyon Dam takes the lion’s share of that, but of course when it fails catastrophically, Hoover will follow.

e: In 500–700 years if sediment is indeed the limiting factor on lifespan here (unlikely).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Humphreys posted:

Yesterday I saw 3 Nitrogen bottles sitting in the loading dock accompanied by a cigarette butt.

I don’t get it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lime Tonics posted:

The string provides structural support.

The string provides emotional support.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That is by far the most anatomically correct boob lamp I’ve ever seen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your lamp may have a hormonal issue. I’m referring you to an endocrinologist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Buildings pretty much never caught on fire prior to the late nineteenth century.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 3, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Q-Face posted:

Antitank mines require 2-300 lbs of direct pressure, compared with antipersonnel mines which only require 15-30 pounds.

Two pounds, eh?

Gotta get those R/C tanks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BRB, building a combat hovercraft.

Which would set off at least some of these mine models, but would look :krad: while doing it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 4, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/ooL4h65.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How many safety violations do you think are contained within this frame?

e: My bad. It was hotlinked elsewhere on the web and loaded fine for me here (probably because it was cached).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 9, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

This is why when you're in between listed numbers on the load chart, you always use the next lowest numbers. If the boom lengths are listed in 10 foot increments and you're at 75 feet, you use the capacities listed for 70 feet instead of 80 feet. You always want to be operating within a good margin of safety, without maxing everything out.

Don’t you mean the numbers for 80 feet?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I didn’t know Bud Holland was a crane operator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hubis posted:

In what situation would knowing how far above the maximum load rating the ideal failure point was be useful?

Investigating the collapse of Hot Karl Marx’s crane.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/apvNF2P.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slanderer posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about?

The inner diameter of the wires is too large to fit the holes in the block, so multiple conductors are clipped off to make it fit. This might not be a huge issue by itself--oversized cable may have been used, so removing conductors leading up to a terminal connection might not cause any issues due to higher resistance (but if the cable was the right size, then the terminals might be underrated). The only problem I have is that the insulation was stripped away pretty far from where the conductors where cut.

Even if the cable is still sufficient to carry the load, it’s a violation of NEC 110.14(A): “Connection of conductors to terminal parts shall ensure a
thoroughly good connection without damaging the conductors”.

I’m pretty sure that counts as damage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/CvSQBPm.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cumslut1895 posted:

I wonder if the cameraman was impaled

"WPTV posted:

The photographers suffered bumps and bruises and another person suffered a broken leg, the Today Show reported.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/B4SJIrx.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Totally TWISTED posted:

That is very likely to stop protestors climbing up the structure.

1. Wear gloves.

2. Handy ladder!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

Just as an aside, the Bhopal incident was almost certainly sabotage, not an accident. The water got into the diisocyanate by a tap that was only used for cleaning when the plant was down for maintenance. A garden hose had been connected to it by someone who did not understand what would happen. His only intent was to ruin the batch.

If we’re only speculating it was sabotage, how do we know intent?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/xBNmyXa.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Make this move legal like ASAP and I might watch Formula-whatever-number.

They don’t even allow refuelling at pitstops now, in part because of stuff like this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/0CT8i0i.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

nice trick but how you gonna get down dummy

Punch the I‐beam till he’s three metres from the ground.

He should’ve brought a pickaxe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZHxMgwTiE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

That's actually the exact problem keeping any of this from going forward.

Because it’s a fool’s errand, and a deliberate one.

This nuclear waste remains dangerously radioactive for ten thousand years? :supaburn: Shut it down.

This chemical waste remains toxic till its nucleons (and those of everything else in the Universe) decay 1040 years from now? This is fine.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 31, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I liked the designs intended to be impractical and uncomfortable instead of ominous or imposing. like just paving the site with black granite slabs that make staying there very uncomfortable due to heat and were of awkward size/proportions that made the cannibalization of the marker for building material unlikely. or putting big irregular black boulders all over, with spacing, dimensions and angles designed to make building on the site or between the boulders impractical, the black to make it uncomfortably hot, and sized to make said cannibalization difficult again

lol if you think irregular slabs will stop them

While dark things absorb energy from light more readily, they also radiate it more readily. Just loot the place at night. :ssh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Preventing diamond theft, 1954‐style:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mithaldu posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on there. Looks to me like a piece of wood clamped to a drill with an immobile separator plate inbetween, while the drill is clamped to a wooden beam?

Poor man’s router table.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Imagined posted:

This dude estimated he's got about 700—800 mSv in the time he's worked there.

That’s Ramsar territory. All x‐ray is unique, though.

Now all we need to do is expose more technicians find more exposed technicians and get a proper study going.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Trying to find the story someone posted about the plasma torch and the engineer who wanted to use it to test something. Anyone remember where that was?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763899&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post456936340

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is art.