Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

I never know if table breaking is still bannable.

When I was in college I briefly worked the nightshift at an absolutely massive Johnson & Johnson's warehouse, driving one of those little stand up forklifts. Even the little ones have a massive amount of weight and power behind them. Looking back on it it seems almost criminal that they'd let total retard temp agency hires run one after 8 hours of safety training.

These were electric so they had these massive 1200 pound batteries that you had to swap in and out. They also had a battery disconnect mounted prominently on an exterior side. During the three or so weeks I worked there someone "pranked" another employee by swatting the battery disconnect while he was driving by him at 15 mph. This has the effect of making the forklift unbrakeable (by the normal method, you could still engage the emergency brake (a deadman's pedal) but the regular method of braking was basically just pulling back on the joystick, i.e. running the electric motor in reverse). Guy forgot about the emergency brake and plowed into the side of a 40' high three story rack full of tampons, at 13 mph. It was loving amazing.

Any time you had "metal on metal" contact (i.e. running into something accidentally) you were supposed to report it, but I, like everyone else, would just get out, rub some grease on the fresh metal scar, and pretend like it never happened.

It was the best job I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just spent 8 hours in an MSHA mandated safety class and the woman next to me the entire day was a super bitchy engineer and I also didn't win the $50 Chili's gift card because I didn't know where the yellow copy of the 5000-23 went. And it actually took the entire 8 hours like it's legally required to, unlike the 6.5 hours that slacker instructors usually end up giving.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DemeaninDemon posted:

Dumb engineers.

Heard one wanted to heat-stress test their doodad and asked to stick it in the ICP-OES torch. Like it was a Bunsen burner or something. Thing's around the temperature of the surface of the sun. It's one purpose in life is to obliterate any matter it touches. No we do not want your poo poo all over the icp chamber.

lol, I guess she either didn't know what the P stands for or has a pretty vague grasp on the different states matter can exist in.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ruggan posted:

That's a stupid qualifier. The sun's surface is only ~6,000C, but the sun is ~15,000,000C at its core and ~1,000,000C+ in its corona (which surrounds the sun and extends millions of km into space). The sun's surface is the coolest part of or anywhere around the sun by orders of magnitude. To imply that the torch comes anywhere close to the heat of the sun just to get people to go "wow that's hot!!!" is pretty misleading imo.

FYI, 6000C is still pretty hot.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ruggan posted:

The richest man in the homeless shelter makes as much money as I did when I was 16!!!!

Maybe that's not saying much... Ya he's pretty poor, but he can still afford that Mickey Ds

That was the shittiest analogy ever.

youre an engineer, aren't you?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Say Nothing posted:

Homemade log splitter. there's a lot of these on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsObwqD788

That bald guy is a goddamned retard. By trying to "be safe" about it, he's actually making it far more dangerous. Setting the logs on the rest and sliding them into the path is safer than basically throwing the log at the contraption and hoping that it doesn't spit it straight into your face.

Probably wouldn't use it personally, in any case.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GirlBones posted:

It's true that MSHA are major sticklers but IIRC ~30 people died in mines in the US last year compared to like 1,000 in construction so...

There's useful stickling and not so useful stickling though. When you get two or three citations for smoking near a diesel tank when the "evidence" is cig butts that are pretty obviously 4 months old and got pushed there by a snowplow, I'm not so sure it's really doing any good.

But in general I have no problem with MSHA. poo poo like that isn't good, as is the tendency that I've seen where if they "like" you you're in good shape but if they get pissed at you you're totally hosed (i.e. what is really a non issue and either would have been ignored or at best they tell you to fix it and don't write any paper, turns into "I'm gonna write this same citation 14 times.")

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DemeaninDemon posted:

The idea is when something fucks up in a mine people don't get hurt. They die.

That fire? Have fun with no more oxygen.

Support structure breaks? Don't burrow into the rock just right? Have fun digging dudes out.

Sure, but writing a citation because there was a snickers wrapper in a garbage can without a lid on it probably isn't going to prevent a lot of underground fires or roof collapses.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MG2 posted:

I think if you find a snickers the you've found an unhealthy mofo

Maybe you're not aware, but the healthy peanut protein found in snickers really satisfies and can prevent Betty White from acting like a total bitch.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

I didn't know hardhats protect from gravity...

Any kind of work on the outside of tall buildings creeps the poo poo out of me. An acquaintance of mine was working as a windows cleaner about 15 years ago, and he still has a huuuge scar on one of his arms from when he got bashed against the side of a building like 40 stories up and thrown through a window.

Maybe a bird took a really huge poo poo on his head and it surprised him and he lost his balance, whereas with a hard hat he wouldn't have even noticed.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I had my annual hearing test today (and respirator fit test). Said hearing test occurred in a rv type trailer, in a "soundproof" booth that wasn't, on a busy loading dock, with a diesel generator (powering the trailer) running right outside the window, 20 yards from an active train track.

Way to go, health and safety.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't think they would be pursuing the criminal charges if they just found remains of a cig butt. Most likely they found something like a fire accelerant that shouldn't have been there.

An old butt near a diesel tank is enough for MSHA to cite you, probably also enough for BATF to decide it's a criminal act.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Seems reasonable enough. If they're only putting themselves in danger, shouldn't warning signs directed to the general public just be considered suggestions for the purposes of liability or expectation of being rescued?

code:
Boiling Water Selfie Area ------->
DO NOT ENTER

The problem isn't that they die, because who gives a gently caress. The problem is that their boiling meat carcass could alter the chemistry of the pool and kill the algae.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bina posted:

Hmm...

This just looks weird though, right? Like the toilet pipe just goes past the baseboard pipe (probably have to remove some fins or bang them out of the way) and into the wall where it connects to a regular water pipe. Right?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lars Blitzer posted:

Looks like a hydronic baseboard heater to me, which isn't terribly good, since even if the 1/2" copper coming out of the wall misses the 3/4" heating pipe there's still going to be transfer of heat to the toilet water. Not a lot mind you, but enough to wear out the rubber washers of the shutoff valve, and to help sublimate Calcium and Magnesium out of the water if it's hard. It won't cause the toilet to shatter or anything either. The only noticeable problem would be less efficient heating of the bathroom.

Looks scabby as gently caress though.

Yeah, that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fasdar posted:

I may be misunderstanding the type of heater. When I was a child we had electric in-wall heaters that could have easily started toilet paper on fire.

If it's electric it's not a great idea. If it's hot water it's fine.

I've had both electric and water baseboard heat and I can't tell for sure which that is. Neither of mine had access hatches like that. My guess would be it's electric and that's an access hatch for a thermostat knob but I guess it could be water and there's a knob in there to interrupt the water flow.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Johnny Aztec posted:

Doppler effect

It's like Bose headphones. The train horn heading away exactly cancelled out the train horn coming towards, leaving nothing but eerie silence and the giggles of teenage girls.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My first job underground I was walking around and a piece of equipment was coming towards me (can't remember if it was a 40 ton haul truck, or a 6ish yard loader, I think the loader). I stood off to the side of the road up against the wall as much as I could in order to let it pass and when its front tires were about 5 yards past me the one on the side I was on blew out. It scared the poo poo out of me and I got pelted pretty hard with some gravel, but at the time I didn't really realize how much worse it could have been.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

RyokoTK posted:

That kid looks like he's the site supervisor, the way he's walking over like that.

The kid is the best part. I'm imagining him saying something like "you dumb motherfucker we better not get a citation over this."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Memento posted:

gently caress, for a second I thought someone had found some footage from this crash yesterday.

That's what I thought for a second as well.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

JB50 posted:

I generally use a reciprocating saw for my bigger tree trimming needs. Grinder seems like a dumb idea.

Yeah, too big for the big pruning shears but too small for chainsaw I use a reciprocating saw.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

e:f;b

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 21, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

that looks like the range on blue diamond road. the last time i was there it was simply "here's the gun, here's the bullets, you're on number 2"

They demonstrated how to shoot the mac 10 and the gun felt like it was going to fall apart and touching the trigger once unloaded the whole magazine immediately. i would imagine if someone wasn't holding it properly it would spin through the air as it unloaded itself.

the one on flamingo was like 50 bucks for 12 bullets for the revolver. this one was $20 for a box of ammo that by the time i was done, i really didn't want to shoot anymore because the gun was a little too small for my hands.

so OSHA as hell, but much cheaper so that's probably the one i'd go back to. You might die but $20 is $20.

I met some of my buddies from back home in Vegas and it took about five tries to find a place that would let us shoot our own 223. All they seemed interested in was renting machine guns and .22.

The place we did find was nice though and had a competent range officer at hand and pretty reasonably priced.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Humphreys posted:

After 7 years sober, I'm sure my first night on the booze with internet access might go as 'well'

He only got a year.

I read all the court docs from this case years ago, it was pretty interesting.

I work in hard rock but I did my initial MSHA 40 hour in coal country and whenever the instructors were talking about coal dust and gas and poo poo I'd just look around at the other people and think "you poor fuckers."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This must have been metal irrigation pipe, I assume?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Memento posted:

Irrigation pipe is generally polyethylene which has exceptionally good resistivity, on the order of 1016 ohms/cm. Even if it was PVC, you're still talking 1014 ohms/cm

There'll be an MSHA fatalgram shortly, so I guess we'll find out.

Overhead power lines are a mother. People always forget to look up. Last place I worked a guy was carrying a bunch of strapped poo poo with a zoom boom and the straps were way longer than they needed to be so the boom was way higher than usual and he plowed straight into some overhead lines. No injuries, luckily. He snapped one of the power poles though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Memento posted:

My job drug tests for minesite employees, random screen for opiates, weed and amphetamines. A dude driving a 200-ton ore truck with 400-ton of ore on the back of it isn't someone you want tweaking or sedated.

Well maybe this thread wants that, but I don't want to be anywhere near it.

Unloading a 'dozer at a Western Australia mine in the late 80s. The most important thing to note is that nothing happening here is breaching OH&S laws. The past is a different country.

It makes sense to test the guy driving the 200 ton haul truck. Not sure it makes as much sense to test the geologists or IT guys or whatever.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

scrubs season six posted:

This must have been metal irrigation pipe, I assume?

Turns out it was aluminum. Power line was about 20' up. And he was probably only about 20' from the pole.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

RatHat posted:

Probably? Do you really think a drone can carry a ~200 pound person?

I don't think the military is using DJI Phantoms. There are drones that can lift 500 pounds (i.e. 1.5 goons)

Probably a dummy though.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 4, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have a light in a location similar to that in my new house. Except without the handy ledges.

Not sure yet how I'm going to change the bulb, but I have to because it's a CFL and won't match the rest which I'm swapping to LED and I have crippling OCD.

e: I guess a claw hand but I'm not sure how easy it'll be because the bulb thats in there is one of those curly glass CFLs and I'll be replacing it with a BR40.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 9, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Volcott posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

A time a plane went too fast. (Because the pilot was trying to keep a man who'd just tried to kill the flight crew with a hammer off his feet.)

It's also an episode of good podcast the dollop.

What a dick.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Only thing wrong with this is that I'm pretty sure the flag is supposed to be red.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Booley posted:

Did you miss the guy hanging onto the lumber for dear life inside the car?

No, I saw it, I just think it's fine.

I also have two related dumb stories.

1. When I was a very wee lad before they had little plastic red flags at Home Depot (or Home Depot at all) that you could just staple on your poo poo, I had to remove my coincidentally red underwear to be used as a flag. I don't think I actually remember this and only know about it due to my sisters telling me many years later.

2. If the lumber humper had an FJ Cruiser instead of that RAV or CRV or whatever it is, he wouldn't have had to do that, because the little 14" tall window on the back of an FJ opens. I hauled a lot of 12-14' long baseboards when I was remodeling my house by having the front end of them pressed up against the windshield and the back end sticking ~4' out the open back window.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

axolotl farmer posted:

This has been posted before, but worth seeing for those who skipped a bunch of pages.

Safety cage for inflating a large tire.

When I was a newbie miner I had a tire on a 40 ton haul truck blow out while I was very near it. I got pelted with some gravel and it scared the poo poo out of me but at the time I didn't realize how close I came to dying.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

boner confessor posted:

there was some miserable show called bering sea gold and it was about these people who live on the alaska coast and try to scrape enough gold out of the ocean to live a marginal existence through the long alaskan winter. everyone had these homemade gold dredges and most of them involved divers vacuuming silt off the ocean floor but the big dogs in town had a barge with a backhoe that would scoop up silt and dump it in a machine to shake out the gold, they often ended up paddling the barge around with the backhoe as well. so if you want to watch a whole bad show about this concept its out there

other highlights included a young woman who lived with her dipshit boyfriend in a yurt on the beach. in alaska. the producers of the show were trying real hard to turn her into some kind of eye candy appeal for the show, but their dredging attempts were always hilarious failures. her dad lived in a bus behind someone's house. everyone was an alcoholic

I'm pretty sure she was contractually obligated to jump into the ocean in her underwear at least once per season.

All in all the people on Bering Sea Gold aren't as retarded as the Hoffmans on Gold Rush though, and the fact that they're also all drunker and angrier does add some entertainment value.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

We were talking about this at work yesterday because two of us knew one of the guys that was killed and I hadn't looked for the Fatalgram yet. The full pic from the (revised) PDF:

I'll be curious to see what the final report says. Guess I'll have to wait what, another 4 or 5 months?

poo poo like this is why working at a big open pit always scared me way more than working underground.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 11, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Memento posted:

If you have haul trucks on a mine site, you need to make sure you're quarantining light vehicles from every place the haul trucks can go. Otherwise, poo poo gets parked on.

How on earth would you do that? Do you give every engineer and geologist and surveyor and supervisor their own haul truck?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

You build separate roads for light vehicles so they don't have to cross paths with haul trucks except at designated crossing points.

Maybe that's feasible in some places but good luck getting your average mine to devote the footprint and engineering and cost to do it, and I don't see it working underground.

Proteus Jones posted:

No, you keep them away until the truck is gone.

That sounds awful close to "shut the mine down every time a non haul truck needs to do anything."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Atticus_1354 posted:

You may be surprised how cheap you can get a boat for. Lots of people have boats and jet skis and are not rich.

In a global comparison having a working 20 year old refrigerator makes you rich you bougie scum.