Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Powershift posted:

If you're on a sour site(meaning H2S could be present) and you see someone go down, you yell "man down" and run the gently caress away because if you run toward him there are now 2 men down

I used to work on a site with huge, industrial ammonia-based cooling systems.

The training was 'this is safe, you don't need to do anything different from the usual industrial safety.

Just be aware that in the extremely unlikely event of a major leak, a cloud of ammonia the size of the entire site will be released. The wind direction that day will determine which of the surrounding villages/towns will have to be evacuated. So, always be aware what direction the wind is blowing so you know what direction to run and you'll be okay'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ewiley posted:

I've had some pretty great dates with slags too

I've taken them up Copper Street a few times.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lobsterboy posted:

Probably not, house isnt THAT old, and all of the detectors are on one breaker, but still.

You always need to insert an '*' into statements like that to include aftermarket DIY, incompetent sparkys, drunk sparkys and just plain acts of god.

I once found a stunned industrial electrician sitting on my office desk. Despite having 20 years of experience of electrical installations in factories, he got caught out when two sockets, side-by-side, were unfathombly wired to separate circuits.

I lived in an apartment block that was built and wired to all the relevant commercial residential standards. A team of electricians replaced 42 hallway light fittings. All but one were on the correct common area ciruits. That single odd one was the middle one in a string of 8 and was wired to the bathroom vanity mirror light of one of the units.

Pat on the back from me for taking care of yourself

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

The Lone Badger posted:

But why did he die if he tested it and saw it was hot?

He was very depressed?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
If you are really old, you may remember disposable flashes which were pretty drat powerful.

A young me thought it would be fun to connect a battery to one of these and fire off the flash bulb.
What I didn't realise is that the way they work is when an individual bulb fires, it fuses and creates a connection to the next bulb.

In practical terms, what this means is that all 10 bulbs fired sequentially, straight into my face, 12" away.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I passed a motorcyclist doing 80mph wearing full leathers and a full face helmet.

But bare hands and espadrilles without socks on his feet.

I don't understand how his mind worked, but all I could think was how an accident would leave him looking like the gingerbread man

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Do people watching rally driving have a death wish? If that car is off in its sweet as gently caress jump, it plows right into the crowd...

(video is safe to watch as they freeze-frame before the nasty bit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9yKokadnqA

Today's news

quote:

Seventeen people have been injured after two cars crashed at a "car cruise" gathering and ploughed into spectators.

The vehicles collided on Monkswood Way, Stevenage, at about 21:45 BST on Thursday leaving two seriously injured and 15 more hurt.

One of the charity event's organisers described the "horrific" crash as a "nightmare".

Police have asked witnesses to send footage of the crash to detectives.

Video footage shows one car passing another before the two collide and one strikes people standing at the roadside while the other hits spectators in the central reservation.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah thanks for ensuring no gore. I should probably put a no death or gore rule in the op?

Probably a good idea: it's far too easy to get densitized to these kind of things. I was definitely looking at the uncensored version and thinking 'well the people are quite small in the video, so okay to post?'

Or at least give very specific gore warnings so that people know what to expect.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Technically, gore images outside of FYAD has always been non-kosher anyway.

I'd definitely like to get a warning before watching Staplerfahrer Klaus that I shouldn't be eating lunch while watching it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvZu6e5vrQA&t=110s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTw8STRo6CU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l14uaaZt5W4

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 19, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cojawfee posted:

It might be like the other video where the throttle cable snapped so one of them sat in the engine bay and manually actuated the throttle.

"Pilot drives looking out the window and the co-pilot sitting on the engine accelerating"

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Private Speech posted:

My neighbour has spent all day today welding metal, uhh, stuff onto his car right in the street in front of my (rented) house. I feel like that's not okay? Am in Britain if it matters.

Is your concern that he's running a welder or that he is building KilldozerUK?

If it's the first, then there is nothing to worry about.

If it is the second, then thanks to the cost of petrol, his rampage wouldn't last more than 10mins.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Private Speech posted:

Meh okay. Could be doing it in his garage though.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from with this. On the plus side, at least it's not late at night, so it could be a lot worse.

violent sex idiot posted:

his garage is probably not setup to vent the fumes properly, making it safer to do it in a larger atmosphere
It also won't reduce the noise much anyway.

zedprime posted:

Yeah besides everybody needs a friend who can weld. Even if its badly tacking small bits onto things that's still more welding expertise than the op has at the moment and welding is cool.
This is also true: having a guy who can weld belongs on the same list as 'man with a van', 'is good with computers' and 'solicitor'

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MrYenko posted:

What I want to know is when they previously filled the interior spaces with foam, it was obviously done so the vessel wouldn’t sink, right? Now, it’s tied up obviously semi-permanently, but’s did they do anything to assuage the original concern that it would sink, or are they going to come back to their office one day and find it with the tide lapping up over the desks?

Here's a comment that says the plan was to tow the ship offshore and leave it unmanned as a static lighthouse. So the foam was a preventative measure.

My biggest concern was that it was such a small office to share with such a miserable bastard and I wonder how long you'd last before getting the urgent need to go swimming or set about him with a boathook.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

He's using a door handle/lock designed for a thinner door. So, he is extending the internal spindle to allow it to reach the latch.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Wet weather, assholes who can't drive.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

redgubbinz posted:

I've seen people texting/talking while on bicycles. Naturally, their right hand is the one steering/braking so they've only got their rear brake to work with. You're already courting death cycling anywhere near a main road in the US, why not make it interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW_OkzChXQU&t=347s

(should be cued at 5:47)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcx7_1yphJI

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Wall full of awards from the internet, doesn't understand the basics of electricity.

I am sure that is a biting comment on something.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, he posted a long video about his divorce. He also said that he has really poor social skills so dating was very difficult for him. He ended up meeting a woman from India in Skype and he married her. He had been working for 3 years to try and bring her over to the UK and I think the government finally allowed her to travel and emigrate to the UK a few months ago.

Is he happy now?

I saw his very depressed video where his inability to be with his wife was causing him to seriously contemplate wiring himself up to one of his massive transformers and ending it all.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think so. He posted this picture a few months ago when his new wife arrived in the UK and said he’s thinking about doing videos again.

Yay!

Thanks for that closure. I'd been avoiding his channel because every time I went there and saw no updates/activity, I started to assume the worst.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

monkeytennis posted:

I thought diamonds would just burn up at crematorium temperatures.

You need to brush up on the classics, my friend.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Platystemon posted:

I give up. I know the diamonds are in the body, but where?

Alimentary, my dear Platystemon

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

FuturePastNow posted:

those are the code names you choose when you want everyone to know what you're doing (or in the latter two, when you want the cable news to lie about what you're doing)

quote:

“Operations in which large numbers of men may lose their lives ought not to be described by code-words which imply a boastful and overconfident sentiment, such as ’Triumphant,’ or, conversely, which are calculated to invest the plan with an air of despondency, such as... ‘Massacre,’” Churchill wrote.

"Intelligent thought will readily supply an unlimited number of well-sounding names which do not suggest the character of the operation or disparage it in any way and do not enable some widow or mother to say that her son was killed in an operation called ‘Bunnyhug’ or ‘Ballyhoo.’”

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Oh hey, I get to contribute something from my home:

I have been using this extension cord for 10 years. In my house. Sometimes with heavy-duty power tools, sometimes under my bed (not both scenarios at the same time).

What really pisses me off is that I have always regarded it as a very safe and durable one as it uses very heavy cable and I am pretty sure I orginally stole it from the machine maintenance section of a previous employer, so I knew it had been put together by an electrically-qualified machine engineer.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cojawfee posted:

Is that supposed to be a fuse?

It's thin tin foil wrapped around a fuse.

Not even good tin foil. Like the stuff wrapped around a roll of candies with a paper wrapper over it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

zedprime posted:

Well duh, if you use the good tin foil it won't blow at an appropriate level of amps.
That is less reassuring that you think!

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't know what you're complaining about, seems like it was modded for higher durability for you.
What is frightening is that I now wonder if I have had any close shaves that I wasn't aware of. I've used it for a lot of powerful stuff. And as I am typing this, I now wonder if the same bodger who did the fuse 'upgrade' didn't actually make this out of top quality material and instead used some old poo poo that they had lying around.

Hedenius posted:

Or China. Why is that by the way? Did they just pick up a bunch of machinery on the cheap when the US and Europe switched to stay-tab?
I'll guess that the machines they currently use are the same ones they have been using for the last 70 years and why spend money on a upgrade if the old ones work fine and who cares about the environment, that's where poor people live?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Imagined posted:

When you look up any crazy element or chemical discovered more than about 50 years ago you'll always see notes about what it tastes like. Apparently combining random poo poo and seeing how it tasted was just how chemists rolled back in the day.

My Junior Encylopedia of Chemistry told me that 'Acids taste sour' and 'Alkalis taste brackish' - complete with a drawing of a person tasting something out of a conical flask.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Imagined posted:

I've always wondered how a steel mill or similar facility cleans up a spill like that. How do you get hardened steel puddles off the floor and ceiling once they've cooled to room temperature?

Now ask the question as to what happens in a chocolate factory when a huge vat of expensive chocolate spills onto the floor

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Presumably, when he got to the bottom, the top of the tree fell off and hit him.

and the roadrunner escaped

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

PostNouveau posted:

The Soviets used to train dogs to do this. Just spend a few weeks teaching them to run up and lay under a tank for treats, and then get them out on the battlefield with a bomb strapped to them.

The initial plan was for them to run up and leave the bomb and run away, but that didn't work so they switched to doggy suicide bombers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

quote:

The first group of anti-tank dogs arrived at the frontline at the end of the summer of 1941 and included 30 dogs and 40 trainers. Their deployment revealed some serious problems. In order to save fuel and ammunition, dogs had been trained on tanks which stood still and did not fire their guns. In the field, the dogs refused to dive under moving tanks. Some persistent dogs ran near the tanks, waiting for them to stop but were shot in the process. Gunfire from the tanks scared away many of the dogs. They would run back to the trenches and often detonated the charge upon jumping in, killing Soviet soldiers. To prevent that, the returning dogs had to be shot, often by their controllers and this made the trainers unwilling to work with new dogs. Some went so far as to say that the army did not stop with sacrificing people to the war and went on to slaughter dogs too; those who openly criticized the program were persecuted by "special departments" (military counterintelligence).[3] Out of the first group of 30 dogs, only four managed to detonate their bombs near the German tanks, inflicting an unknown amount of damage. Six exploded upon returning to the Soviet trenches, killing and injuring soldiers.[3] Three dogs were shot by German troops and taken away, despite furious attempts by the Soviets to prevent this, which provided examples of the detonation mechanism to the Germans. A captured German officer later reported that they learned of the anti-tank dog design from the killed animals, and considered the program desperate and inefficient. A German propaganda campaign sought to discredit the Red Army, saying that Soviet soldiers refuse to fight and send dogs instead.[3]

Another serious training mistake was revealed later; the Soviets used their own diesel engine tanks to train the dogs rather than German tanks which had gasoline engines.[5] As the dogs relied on their acute sense of smell, the dogs sought out familiar Soviet tanks instead of strange-smelling German tanks.[7] This effectively meant that the Soviets had trained the dogs to sabotage their own army.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cojawfee posted:

How do I shot faust

Hans! Shot Faust?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's not the worst way, probably the worst case is similar to the above though - It doesn't work and now you have a device in an even more potentially dangerous condition.

Speaking of the worst way, we had a report come in to the mine action co-ordination group while I was back in the capital one day. Some guys who ran a bicycle repair shop had found a downed helicopter gunship in the bush and relieved it of a load of ~30mm cannon shells. They were pulling the projectiles, heating them up and then using a hammer and chisel to pop the copper driving bands off to use for brazing. Apparently they had been doing it for weeks before the inevitable happened. I was glad we didn't attend the scene.

ChickenHeart posted:

Initially I would get pretty anxious when handling explosives, but once you start building up your knowledge of how explosives function and how to best protect yourself against known and unknown hazards (and of course constant, unending training), the nervousness just turned into a healthy respect for stuff that can rupture your lungs/plant the baseplate from a tank round inside your chest cavity. Safety and situational awareness are drilled into your head from day one.

I find stories of stuff like this fascinating.

Please share lots more.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ReelBigLizard posted:

One of the absolute fuckers of UXO clearance is cluster munitions. Take the BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomb for example. About the size of a soda can and painted a jolly bright yellow the unexploded munition is attractive to children and adults alike.

This is a BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomb. Designed to be dropped out of military aircraft in conflict areas, it is deadly to anyone touching it.
It is painted bright yellow to warn and discourage people from approaching it.

This is a Humanitarian Daily Ration. Designed to be dropped out of military aircraft in conflict areas, it provides life-saving nutrition to anyone opening it.
It is painted bright yellow to encourage people to approach it.

E: Beaten. Spent too long on getting the formatting just right.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 17, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BMan posted:

don't worry, the rations are pink now. problem solved!

Phew! At least that horrible potential confusion has been eliminated.

Oh, hang on....

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mister Speaker posted:

I've definitely heard almost this exact story before, in the context of police (or maybe military) knife drills. A friend who teaches stage combat relayed it to me and I think he even mentioned something about 'special training knives' that were developed to counter it that did... something, perhaps shock you? if you tried to hand them back. That last part sounds extremely far-fetched, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zvQI_I2U7Y&t=20s

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ChickenHeart posted:

Exploding stuff is pretty good at starting fires in the first place, and any professional setup would take fire prevention into consideration regardless of whether burning is involved or not (in a permissive environment; safety may occasionally take a backseat to timeliness in a warzone).

ReelBigLizard posted:

It was hollow, just the bakelite part. Otherwise I wouldn't have hosed with it.

I was in a suit/helmet/plate combo thing. It was hot, heavy and disgustingly sweaty.

Could you two do an Ask/Tell thread?

I'd really like to know more about what you do and the replies keep getting lost in this fast-moving thread.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ChickenHeart posted:

Eh, long story short I decided it would be fun to blow dangerous stuff up for Uncle Sam. I don't have any interesting stories in my few short years so far as a bomb-toucher; by the time I joined up deployments had all but dried up.

It also doesn't help that you're limited on what you can talk about. Pretty much anything pertaining to how EOD does their job is classified in one way or another, and for good reason:

I respectfully disagree: even the most mundane to you, completely unclassified, stuff to you is really interesting to me.

Hell, I just spent an hour on the phone talking through a printer installation, so this is Hollywood to me - even if it's anecdotes on how you take a dump whilst wearing a bombsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mooseykins posted:

Oh, i'm sorry, i must've forgotten to cross check the user's icon against my Encyclopedia of Racist Symbols before i linked a video relevant to someone else's post.

I'll be sure check with you next time. Not that i looked at their icon, let alone knew it was racist.

You should do what I did: get them all tattooed on your arm so you can quickly and easily check to make sure you aren't accidentally using them.

The only downside is that I keep getting punched in the face and no-one will employ me or sleep with me.