Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

he's also a job creator cause now people have to fix that bridge

I remember reading about that when it happened. That bridge had to be removed and replaced, it was not repairable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Spiders are our friends and are happy to ignore you if you don't try to murder them

*not valid in Australia

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

That 1-year sentence is lame. I don't normally have an opinion about criminal sentencing, but if he'd straight-up murdered those workers - like, just shot them - the prosecutor would have filed 29 separate charges of murder. Is there some reason the prosecutor in this case didn't file 29 separate charges?

The judge gave him the maximum possible sentence for the crime he was actually convicted of. He was found innocent by a jury of the 3 more serious crimes he was charged with that could have seen him spending most or all of the rest of his life in prison.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mistle posted:

I've seen lines like this that run close to train lines(within the 15' on either side, not literally next to the tracks) and they don't go up and down extremely sharply, which probably explains it. Are the nearby poles the same height? Are they near somewhere that has low-flying aircraft or demands low clearance?

Slope on the lines looks like it's short so it doesn't cause the lines to droop dangerously low.

Fairly certain that the top level is the only power, and all those glass insulators on the lower level are old-school telegraph lines that used to be all over the place alongside railroad tracks. I think they run something like 70 volts, at fairly low amperage. They'll give you a good tingle, but unless you put them across a pace-maker, unlikely to cause any real harm.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mozi posted:

Nuclear plants would top the list, I suppose. Chemical plants as well, probably.

Pretty sure that most nuclear plants would eventually just go into automatic shutdown, so unless there was some sort of external catastrophe affecting them (like a giant earthquake and tidal wave for example), they would just become giant concrete structures enclosing the reactor vessels. Eventually stuff would decay to the point of radioactive hazard I'm sure, but it should be a really long time given the way they are constructed (speaking only in regards to US design/build plants, not sure about other places that use different types of reactors and construction).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I think the Glen Canyon Dam takes the lion’s share of that, but of course when it fails catastrophically, Hoover will follow.

e: In 500–700 years if sediment is indeed the limiting factor on lifespan here (unlikely).

That would take a really long time, since Glen Canyon's spillway's would prevent over-topping except for some really amazing flood levels. In theory the spillways could erode out and collapse, which would then cause the dam to become a giant waterfall. No idea how long it would last after that, but if it lasted long enough to be over-topped because of sediment fill, then there would be no catastrophic wave of water into Lake Mead, because there wouldn't be all that much water in Lake Powell due to the sediment fill, right?

It would be a hell of a sight to see though if Glen Canyon did collapse, as the river reclaimed the canyons by carving ridiculous canyons into the sediment in a super-accelerated version of the original erosion process.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Just found a couple of pictures on my old cellphone:

This one is really pretty common in farming country, but they are typically just local farm trucks and stick to the local roads to move that stuff between the field and where the cows are.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, the newspaper had a piece today about it being the International Day of Occupational Health and Safety.

It said that here in the Netherlands, most companies have the proper safety equipment. The troubling thing is that they can't seem to get the workers to use it. They don't seem to think it's important. The yearly amount of people suffering a work related accident is apparently relatively high. Apparently managers have no idea how they can convince workers to wear helmets, goggles and steel-toed boots.

Fire them when they refuse. It's not rocket science.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Today's safety lesson - you should actually maintain your bicycle periodically, including checking tension on critical fasteners. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

What kind of egg? Farm egg? Ostrich egg?

Elephant Bird

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

This is from my workplace. The building is 100 years old, the kitchen sink installation is from the early 90s. The fusebox and stuff was already there when someone decided it was a good idea to cram in stuff for making coffee and heating lunches in the closet/electric room.

I could be wrong, but from what I can see in that picture, that's all telecom gear, not a fusebox/electrical.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

haveblue posted:

Alternate solution: Summon giant robot

Rescues fish, turns fish loose... fish swims directly back into trap. :doh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mostlygray posted:

An uncle of a friend of mine blew himself up trying to weld a fitting to an old gas tank to make a pressure tank for an air compressor. He was killed instantly.

I don't understand how it's possible, but no amount of rinsing will make a fuel tank safe to weld. I was always told that, if you were going to weld or braze a fuel tank, to fill it to the brim with water first. I'd never risk it myself.

I think the actual approved method is to fill it with a heavier than air inert gas. The reason rinsing doesn't work is that it doesn't remove the film of gas/fuel on the surface of the tank interior which is enough to cause vapors. It's the air/vapor mix that's explosive as hell.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Landing a bit off balance, but totally stuck it. 8.7

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's a boaardvark, commonly found down by the sea.

:golfclap:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

zedprime posted:

Its a valve handle. He's closing some giant rear end pipe, with what is probably hilarious effects

Based on the color and some of the fittings visible... My guess is high pressure gas line. Of course since it's in a strange land where that creature lives, they may use completely different colors for things so who knows.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

Most helicopters don't have ejection seats, as far as I know.

Don't know why, shooting the pilots up through the spinning rotor seems like an awesome idea!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Elsa posted:

The skinny guy receiving the cutting tools looks like a rookie, and he has his ear plugs in. He also doesn't look very strong, so I doubt he's been there for very long. He's making the effort to use ear pro but that will probably subside if he lasts.

The guy at the head doing the actual replacement looks like he is wearing custom fit ear inserts of some kind. Maybe electronic noise cancelling doo-dads, or hell, maybe just hearing aids since his job made him go deaf probably.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Humphreys posted:

Fresh from Facebook!

Looks like a fairly typical 'emergency patch' type of thing after the line was cut by a trencher who probably didn't have the lines properly located before digging.

Depending on what's in that line, they may dig out a larger pit and do a permanent repair later, or if it's just water or something they'll probably just leave it like that. If it's gas, they'll come back and replace an entire section of line since they'll want to get rid of the whole section that got stressed by the hit, but that becomes a non-emergency repair so it's typically done by scheduled crews instead of the emergency response guys on a small line like that.

Of course, this is only true in the area I used to work, who knows wherever this is.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sammus posted:

I can't be the only one here super impressed by the tensile strength of that wire right?

1/2" utility grade galvanized strand guy wire has a minimum breaking strength of 25,000 lbs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It probably says something terrible about me as a person, but I always chuckle when I read the occasional story about someone that was doing this sort of thing making a mistake, or a ledge giving way, and they get to go find out if their religion of choice is real or not.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rah! posted:

And speaking of gas pipeline explosions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zveazwHM7Y4

:catstare:

That one wasn't a gas pipeline explosion per se, rather there was a propene (yes, it's spelled like that - also known as propylene or methyl ethylene) leak into the sewer system. The leaking 4" pipe was shut down approximately 16 minutes before the first explosion (but almost 4 hours after the leak started apparently). In the first hour of the leak, 3.77 tons of propene were lost from the pipe.

That particular gas has managed to kill pretty spectacularly before the disaster in Korea too - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Alfaques_disaster

quote:

The Los Alfaques disaster was a road accident and tanker explosion which occurred on 11 July 1978 in Alcanar, near Tarragona, in Spain. The tanker truck was loaded with 23 tons of highly flammable liquefied propylene. 217 people (including the driver) were killed and 200 more severely burned.

The OSHA part is pretty severe:

quote:

The tank container was manufactured at 13 December 1973 by a workshop from Bilbao,[11] and at that time it did not meet the requirements for carrying flammable liquids, since it lacked emergency pressure release valves. Therefore, the tank had been used to carry other substances, some of which were highly corrosive. Tests on the remnants of the steel tank revealed microscopic stress cracks consistent with corrosion caused by previous loads of improperly overpressurized anhydrous ammonia. Combined with whether the tanker suffered an impact that caused additional structural damage, these factors likely led to the almost instantaneous rupture of the tank when the flames flashed back into the tanker. Even without safety valves, a structurally sound and properly filled tanker should have been able to maintain structural integrity in a fire long enough to at least allow nearby people to escape.

The tanker was also severely overloaded, which was apparently common practice.

quote:

The Tarragona facility lacked either a meter to measure the amount of gas dispensed or an automatic shut-off device to prevent overfilling, and consequently most tanks were consistently overloaded.
The driver was neither informed of the overloading, nor about the type and class of the cargo, and there was no means for him to check the pressure level of the tank before he departed or to monitor it in transit. He had not attended the HAZMAT training program for drivers of dangerous goods, because the company considered his experience of 20 years as a truck driver to be sufficient.

You probably don't want to do much Google image searching on this one, it's all aftermath photo's and lots of them are of the bodies.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought the shrapnel got her? Passengers were saying there was "blood everywhere".

Passengers were also saying that the landing was more like a 'crash', but in the video taken inside the aircraft that includes the landing you can't even tell for sure when the flight transitioned to being on the ground except from the noise rapidly dropping as they decelerate.

I saw another quote that said one of the other passengers who was tending to the lady 'had blood all over his hands', which is easier to believe than 'everywhere' when a picture of the seat she was in shows pretty much no blood at all inside the plane.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Messadiah posted:

gonna need an explanation for this

Flying saucer lost control, clipped the power lines and crashed in front of that car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Securing your load is for chumps who don't believe in the power of gravity and believe that something called 'inertia' exists.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Have a link to the story on this? Seems like the three people walking into that hallway almost had to get run down.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hahaha...

quote:

WICHITA, Kansas (AP) -- A man has been sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for driving his car through Wichita's City Hall. Marcus Johnson, 33, also was ordered Wednesday to pay $142,000 in restitution.

I wonder when our justice system is going to start paying inmates a reasonable wage so they can start paying their restitution orders after we toss them in the pokey for a decade over property damage...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Quite a bummer if you built a house there betting that it wouldn't happen in your lifetime.

Memento posted:

Oh and while we're at it, there's an island in Vanuatu with a population of ~10,000 that is considering a total, permanent evacuation. Volcanic ash is killing their crops and poisoning their water supply.

The total population of Vanuatu in 2016 was 270,000. 10k is a considerable portion of their population to have to relocate. Looks like a pretty awesome place to retire (well, except for volcano death island).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Just guessing, but based on the design of the grate, I expect that is an underground utility vault of some sort, not a storm drain.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ventilation? :shrug:

You are correct. Underground transformers for example, generate a lot of heat, so they can't really stick them in a small space without ventilation. The vault would have some sort of drainage built in. If it was a telecom/cable type vault it would likely have a solid cover, but they aren't waterproof either and in heavy rain would fill with water anyway, so the type of cover doesn't really matter except for keeping people from dropping stupid crap into it like it's a trash can.

Based purely upon that picture, that cover is a split cover with hinges on either side (meaning it's designed to allow regular access), whereas a storm drain would have a solid cover that was bolted down with no hinges.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LostCosmonaut posted:

Posted without comment

(I got a perverse amount of glee a few months from telling somebody at work about Yellowstone for the first time.)

On a more realistic timescale, the northeast can get fairly strong earthquakes; http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/20/new.england.tremors/index.html

Plus a 7.3-7.9 back in the 17th century; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1663_Charlevoix_earthquake

edit: and another one; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1929_Grand_Banks_earthquake

At least a little comment might be nice... like... thickness of... what?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Memento posted:

Anyway, to more contemporary matters, the fissure zone in Hawai'i is moving both northeast and southwest. Fissures 16 and 17 are new in the past ~18 hours, and the steaming zone in the southwest is increasing in output. Best case scenario for the steaming zone is interaction between lava heading north and groundwater, and will only express as steam, but generally if there's superheated steam forcing its way out, magma will follow it up because, like everything else in the physical sciences (electricity, water, etc) magma is above all lazy.

(click for big)

I got to listen to my father (who unfortunately is at that age where clear signs of dementia are beginning to be observed) explain at length that the reason the lava keeps showing up in different rifts, is because the island (plate) is moving across a hot-spot which doesn't move. Um... I don't think the plates move that fast dad.

I saw that an 18th rift had appeared today, but I can't seem to find it on any official maps, it's just in news reports and on YT videos without maps.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Platystemon posted:

There is a kernel of truth to what your father is saying.

That is indeed what is going on in the long term.

Oh I'm perfectly aware of the long term growth of the chain as the plates moved, but that he thinks it's the plate movement causing the eastward march of the rifts in this eruption that shocked me. I guess one of the side effects of a much longer life span than those several generations ago had is that we get to see the effects of old age more. Hell, I'm way over the average lifespan of a human in 1950 myself, let alone my father.

Edit: ^^^ That was an expensive drive-by. Why in the world was the Quantas Airbus backed out so far from the gate?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ah, thanks. We get neither of them here and I thought it sort of looked like the pictures of Qantas I've seen. Thanks. According to that report, the Turkish A321 had just arrived, but it looks like the ground crew were not in place so they must have been waiting for them to show up to guide them in that last little bit. Just seemed weird that it was so far away from the gate just sitting there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Memento posted:

let me know if you're sick of Kilauea posts and I'll cut it out but here's one that people might not have seen.

Circled in red are the two USGS volcanologists who went down to the lava stream to take some samples yesterday. Geologist-for-scale gives you a real sense of how big this poo poo is.

Definitely keep posting stuff, it's really interesting. That's a great shot, I knew it was big, but it's great to see something to scale like that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

boner confessor posted:

yeah i keep watching this and i'm pretty sure the guy with his hands near the gators mouth is a gator man, notice how he doesn't have any emblems or patches on his shirt sleeves like the cops. he's also not wearing a tool belt

He apparently missed the memo where gator's hate sunglasses worn on the top of your head.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mistle posted:

Any way to artificially speed up the weathering process? Or is it a matter of environmental biology just as much as geological weathering?

Step 1 - Turn off the active volcano so it stops adding new layers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

So can I like, buy up a load of brand new beach front land? My great grandkids will love me for it!

By the time your great grandkids inherit it will be 3 miles inland from later flows!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've seen that train post before, and it's pretty enlightening, but what's the value in making an illegal immigrant the cause of all of that in his hypothetical?

If I remember correctly, that was posted shortly after a train hit a truck stuck on the tracks like that and the driver who left the scene ended up being an illegal. I could be making a connection that doesn't exist though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pretty sure that's just a strong dust devil (that's what we call them in the desert anyway) as there is a pronounced rotation visible at times.