Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Amazon faces $350K fine for shipping dangerous goods

"Amazing Liquid Fire" is 98% sulfuric acid with a bit of detergent mixed in. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Here's the MSDS. It includes this nifty NFPA label:

This is from a while back but did someone create that MSDS is mspaint? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Some cool logging videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GyZpEUDOts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5bt6NJEVAI

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

I just found the most unexpected warehouse and forklift in a random video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU

I am actually a little jealous of the storage space.

oh my god :3:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Its not like this everywhere in the civilized world?

edit: (yes, I've been reading the thread; I'm using a veil of ignorance to express my incredulity.)

everywhere that's not Oregon and NJ, yes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

Was this posted here yet? Bear on site. Most Canadian dialogue I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

gently caress you, bear.

A couple years ago and several times since, yes.

Still a great video though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tater_salad posted:

What I don't understand is at a bridge like this they font hang a board on chain at 10'8".. If you hit this sign don't go.

this is a great idea i don't know why people have not thought of this before. hey, maybe they could even raise the bridge or lower the road!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Master Twig posted:

Something just occured to me. Every video I've seen of that bridge has people hitting it from the same direction. Do they not bother to show them the other side because the angle isn't as good for the video? Surely people hit it from the other direction too.

Those videos are from one guy's business right by the bridge, they aren't official city videos or anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tater_salad posted:

You're right sorry for wondering if there was a simple solution to cure stupidity, but there isnt.

what i was getting at is that this bridge pops up every few weeks and every time someone asks about putting in a bar/raising/lowering the bridge, putting in water thing, closing the bridge, blah blah blah.

the faq covers most of the issues.

http://11foot8.com/faq/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why not make the truck stationary and have the bridge move over it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JB50 posted:

Hmm yes let me lean these super flammable pallets against this building and put an accelerant on them and start a fire.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

The best part is he is holding the flammable liquid in that cup in his hand and when he goes to extinguish the flames with his armpit he ends up spilling it all over his shirt, cementing his impending doom.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chlamyllionaire posted:

Fun little story is how these asbestos companies realized they were in deep poo poo and ended up being bought by Haliburton, who recouped the losses from war profiteering.

thats not fun at all you lier

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turn left thread!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Posting here since multiple work vehicles were involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0CJMGUhr5U

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why not tank treads?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

McDeth posted:

Sorry to dredge this up for pages past, but I firmly believe that there should be a limit to how much SHOULD be done to prevent idiots from taking themselves out of the gene pool. Humanity has basically solved the whole "natural selection by survival of the fittest" problem, so the only thing preventing us from completely overpopulating this planet is those people that are literally too stupid to notice poo poo like this either killing themselves or removing their ability to reproduce.

why would you dredge up a loving 5 week old post to vomit up this terrible opinion

the gently caress is wrong with you

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pro tip: if your post begins with "sorry to bring up this old rear end post", whatever follows will loving suck so just delete it and move on

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PhotoKirk posted:

That "bench" looks like it would collapse under the weight of an average Goon. I love the tiny brackets attaching it to the floor and the lack of bracing.

I like the use of rotten reclaimed barnwood for a loving ladder that one one cares about.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If youre're getting hospitalized for stomach bugs then something is wrong with you and it isn't just that you're not fat enough. Tell your brother to see a doctor.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I cleared out all the popcorn ceiling in my 50s house with nothing more than a hand scraper and a box fan before I learned about this asbestos thing.

Whoopsie!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Aren't the percentages in it extremely low? Maybe 3% in a completely pulverized ceiling is awful though? And if you just left it alone, then it would be pretty well encased and not prone to kamikaze-ing your body?

We'll find out in 40 years I suppose.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lime Tonics posted:

Just a small crack,

It's getting a tad worse

And here's the emergency overflow, basically just the side of that mountain there

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Echoing what others said, the main spillway is trashed at this point, so I'm assuming they're just going to try and slow down the erosion occurring at the screwed up area. Reuters says that they're going to use helicopters to drop rock into the hole which would at least control the rate of erosion/undermining. Anything you can do to deflect the kinetic energy of the falling water away from the eroded base is a good thing. It's good news that flow over the auxiliary spillway has ceased. Maybe the rains will be light this week.

They're got about a week to do any emergency repairs because a large storm is about to dump a ton of water in the area again next weekend. It's likely the emergency overflow will be used again very shortly.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rah! posted:

The rain is actually supposed to be back in just three days.

Oh.

That's much worse.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

holy poo poo everything in this article

https://www.revealnews.org/article/this-tool-cuts-fingers-and-gashes-faces-but-shipbuilder-still-uses-it/

quote:

This tool cuts fingers and gashes faces, but shipbuilder still uses it

Martin Osborn had a job to do at the Alabama shipyard: Use a handheld power tool to slice a tiny piece of aluminum on a ship being constructed for the U.S. Navy.

As he pushed the saw blade through the metal one morning in February 2014, the tool shot back. It ripped through his left ring finger, tearing away flesh and bone. Osborn never saw it coming.

But shipyard managers did. For years, managers at Austal USA’s shipyard in Mobile privately fretted about the danger of a tool they’d modified from its intended use. In an email three years earlier, Chris Blankenfeld, the company’s top safety manager, called the machine a “Widow Maker.”

“These millers are quite literally an accident waiting to happen,” he wrote to company officials, referring to the tool by its shipyard nickname.

He was right. At least 53 Austal workers have been injured by the tool, losing fingers and suffering deep gashes on their faces, necks and arms, according to injury logs from January 2011 to March 2015 obtained by Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting.

quote:

But he also has blamed employees for their injuries. It’s “the employee who makes the tool unsafe not the tool (itself),” Blankenfeld wrote in an email to a group of company managers in 2011.

A safety alert titled, “Miller Tool Use and Dangers,” went out to workers in 2015. It declared: “ALL injuries involving Miller tools are caused by carelessness, improper use and complacency.”

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Wait, it’s a single tool (i.e. not a class of tools similarly modified) that injured fifty‐three different employees?

:stare:

It was a single type of tool, but not just one tool.

It was a grinder where they modified a toothed blade onto it. Doing so results in nasty kickbacks from a hand-held tool.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

I had to watch this like 8 times and I still don't know how he failed so badly. Did his little booties slip off the pedals?

Gear slipped.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

They had to re-open the gates on the Oroville Dam Main Spillway yesterday, this video starts before they do that and keeps an eye on things as they ramp up to 50,000 CFS

Second half of the video is discussing what the current plan is for operations through Summer, and an update on repairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQe0J5NLLT4

This is very informative. Basically they need to keep the main spillway volume at 40-50k CFS. Any higher and it will damage the rest of the lower spillway, and lower and it will cause headway erosion into the upper portion.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

oohhboy posted:

I am surprised they even give a poo poo about the lower part of the spillway as I would have just written it off.

Yeah, their main concern with the lower spillway was debris clogging up the pond at the bottom. It's already been written off.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dillbag posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't notice the drop ceiling at first.

50/50 chance there's a camera up there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Greatest Living Man posted:

I don't think the car at 0:15 ever makes it through :tinfoil:

So you didn't watch to 0:40 then?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dude did a PIT maneuver on a car on the other side of the intersection before crashing, that's dedication.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh man if it would have hit that building it could have been very bad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lime Tonics posted:

report is in, and it's not good.

America's Infrastructure Scores a...

D+

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org

Killing it on rail tho

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hers the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfzUSK_ombA

There's one girl that holds it together pretty well but another two lose their poo poo and squeak like pigs for two minutes

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CollegeCop posted:

That video is some Grade A theatrics.

I had to do this when I went through the academy, then again three years later when my agency finally authorized us to carry OC spray.

The idea behind getting sprayed as part of the training is that you are going to get blowback when you deploy. It is just going to happen. You have to be able to work through the effects and finish the interaction.

Our certification process went like this: Get sprayed, call on radio that spray was deployed and ask for backup. Run 50 feet to next station and perform baton strikes to dummy. Run 50 feet to next station and handcuff suspect. When that all was done, they had a hose you could use to rinse your eyes out.

It wasn't fun, but it did prove that OC spray is not debilitating, and you can fight through the pain.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

oohhboy posted:

I cannot deny that is a badass and utterly dangerous use of physics assuming it isn't a photoshop or he is attached to a post.

It's just physics my man

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MF_James posted:

Those things are also super loving dangerous and the one at six-flags (if it's even still here in illinois) has been moved around to multiple different places because it's removed a few feet and other body parts.

wtf why are they moving it did they think the area was haunted or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dont take selfies while go karting

http://i.imgur.com/Qf1o14D.gifv