Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
FDR, also a hero.

FDR, also famously deadly to enemies of america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm very sorry to make this economic but the lack of maternity leave is at its heart stemming from the idea that corporations have absolute entitlement to every single bit of their workers' time throughout the workweek and anything that takes away from that will be viewed as "nonproductive" and thus unpaid, simply because it doesn't immediately feed into short-term profits for that corporation, instead of long-term benefits to society and its economy (such as the impact of a well-rested parent on their child)

this gets filtered into sexism because only biological women can have children and they are particularly "easy" targets thanks to patriarchy

in short, crush capitalism and the profit motive

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Please murder me for marxsplaining.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Pick posted:

Right, I think maybe I misunderstood you. My point was that the lack of paid maternity leave is bad, but the unpaid angle is also super bad. It's bad to the core.

Ah, yeah, maybe we're talking at each other. The entire thing is bad and it's one of the reasons I like Hillary. She's very consistent on certain issues that I think would be really impactful that I don't feel like Bernie talks about much.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Churchill and FDR are good answers because FDR is who Bernie is trying to model his campaign after and you cant attack Churchill as a politician because to 95% of Americans Churchill = British guy who fought the nazis.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pick posted:

That should have been easy for a candidate of his longevity.

Yeah, we're talking about a guy who is being praised for bringing up Kissinger to bag on him and giving an Iran history lesson. "Couldn't think of anyone else" feels like a weak defense.

I don't think its a huge deal or anything, it just seems like a bizarre combination. I think Bernie did well for the most part beyond random internet questions that catch him off guard.

STAC Goat has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Feb 12, 2016

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Brannock posted:

Scott Walker has been trying to do that for years, what makes you think we'll have better luck

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Ace of Baes posted:

Churchill and FDR are good answers because FDR is who Bernie is trying to model his campaign after and you cant attack Churchill as a politician because to 95% of Americans Churchill = British guy who fought the nazis.

Also Bernie angling for the voters who demand the bust of Churchill be put back in the White House.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

Ah, yeah, maybe we're talking at each other. The entire thing is bad and it's one of the reasons I like Hillary. She's very consistent on certain issues that I think would be really impactful that I don't feel like Bernie talks about much.

Yeah. And my original reason for bringing it up is, unlike abortion, I really do not think I have ever met a woman against it, even the very most hardcore Republicans I know. Remembering it reads as the interests of "all women", going back to abortion time and time again reads "primarily Democratic women" (though everyone uses it). And I want to see changes for ALL women.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I learned everything I need to know about Kissinger on 9/11.

Of 1973.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Thump! posted:

I learned everything I need to know about Kissinger on 9/11.

Of 1973.

That he's the wiliest toad alive?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pick posted:

Yeah. And my original reason for bringing it up is, unlike abortion, I really do not think I have ever met a woman against it, even the very most hardcore Republicans I know.

Well, women are the ones who kinda get confronted by it the most. There's also a big elder care thing that gets missed - women quite often are the ones who wind up taking care of aging parents.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
didn't most of bernie's extended family on his father's side get sent to the concentration camps in poland?

would probably explain the churchhill answer...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

Well, women are the ones who kinda get confronted by it the most. There's also a big elder care thing that gets missed - women quite often are the ones who wind up taking care of aging parents.

I haven't seen her bring that one up, though.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Pick posted:

That he's the wiliest toad alive?

That he oversaw the overthrow of Salvador Allende's democratically elected government in Chile.

He's a huge piece of poo poo and Hillary really shouldn't rub elbows with a war criminal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

Bernie called for a primary on Obama in 2012.

Do a little thinking and think what the optics of an old white man calling for the first black president in office to be primaried look like.

Spoiler: They ain't good.

There's a battle waging in my head. On one side: the faction that wants Bernie to win and knows he is a master strategist. On the other side: the faction that wants someone to say the uncomfortable truth that Hillary is basically Obama 2.0, and that's a horrible thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/698002642908401664

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

They will be destroyed in equal measure if they attempt anything. I just hope SS is back in shape, all manner of crazy out there.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

:stare:

He really shouldn't out Alex Jones like that.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pick posted:

I haven't seen her bring that one up, though.

I think tonight was the most anyone talked about seniors and it was sort of the standard social security pablum that doesn't really go anywhere imo.

It's a super loving hard topic because it cuts across a whole lot of areas and there's really no good answer to any of it. How much should we spend to keep people alive for a few more months? How do we take care of people who can't take care of themselves? How do we take care of the people who take care of those people? The conversation about seniors seems mostly to focus around this vague notion that Social Security should be less lovely - and it should be - but there's some real cultural poo poo about death, dying, family, and independence that we don't talk about and don't address in the political process.

To top it off, of course, long amounts of leave to deal with elder care and such gets taken from FMLA allotments which suck and are unpaid are notoriously easy for the employer to abuse even if you're in a decent job, to say nothing of the poor sod who works in a less skilled trade.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I did really like that Hillary pointed out that widows get a rough deal re: SS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So they strung him up right there, or what?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Brannock posted:

please report to processing chamber 47, citizen.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Brannock posted:

No. Marxsplain to me all day!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Thump! posted:

That he oversaw the overthrow of Salvador Allende's democratically elected government in Chile.

He's a huge piece of poo poo and Hillary really shouldn't rub elbows with a war criminal.

The triad about Kissinger was dumb because nobody gives a poo poo about some commies America killed during the Cold War other than SA. he should have used the time to schlong shiliary over libya some more

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

good poo poo

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
"I'm the one who pays taxes (because I control a grossly disproportionate share of the nation's wealth)."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sanders's financial plan: depress bankers into dying of alcohol poisoning.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Typo posted:

The triad about Kissinger was dumb because nobody gives a poo poo about some commies America killed during the Cold War other than SA. he should have used the time to schlong shiliary over libya some more

its basically this.

Kissinger is def. not the high point of american politics, but lmao if you think the american electorate gives a poo poo about it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schnorkles posted:

its basically this.

Kissinger is def. not the high point of american politics, but lmao if you think the american electorate gives a poo poo about it.

They gave enough of a poo poo about him to google him a gorillion times more than Obama during the debate, and he explained why to care in the debate itself.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Neurolimal posted:

They gave enough of a poo poo about him to google him a gorillion times more than Obama during the debate, and he explained why to care in the debate itself.

the amount that something is googled is not a meaningful predictor of what will happen in a primary, or hell, a general election.

People learning about Kissinger is probably a good thing though!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

The older generation is also familiar with Kissinger as one of the symbols of the loathsome Nixon administration.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

etalian posted:

The older generation is also familiar with Kissinger as one of the symbols of the loathsome Nixon administration.

He was relevant 40 years ago so the generation in question is 60 or so right now and probably don't care that much about the Nixon administration anymore

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Neurolimal posted:

that's because they already know who obama is but they are like who the gently caress is kissinger

like if sanders is running for president in 1980 or something yeah bring it up but seriously he's just giving a history lesson at this point

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

honestly as a poli sci nerd kissinger being in the dialogue is cool as gently caress because he's basically the poster child for overreach of the realist mold of ir.

That also said its loving totally meaningless you nerds c'mon.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

:bernget:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Schnorkles posted:

honestly as a poli sci nerd kissinger being in the dialogue is cool as gently caress because he's basically the poster child for overreach of the realist mold of ir.

That also said its loving totally meaningless you nerds c'mon.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Typo posted:

He was relevant 40 years ago so the generation in question is 60 or so right now and probably don't care that much about the Nixon administration anymore

My mom STILL likes Nixon.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Maternal leave is cool and good, but as the secondary earner who will be primary care giver for future offspring it would be nice to skip the battle over non traditional gender roles and implement maternal/paternal leave in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It'd be cool to be able to tell 1970s Bernie Sanders that if he worked real hard someday he would eventually get a chance to poo poo all over Kissinger in front of millions of people

• Locked thread