Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

if you think about it.this Republican refusal to confirm or even meet with anyone Obama might appoint to the supreme Court is pretty hosed up. When trump gets president if I were a Democrat i would be like No gently caress you i'm not confirming your appointee either right? and each party can just refuse rto confirm the other party's appointee because they dont want the cour tgoing in the other party's favor. We'll be at 8 justices for awhile as both parties continue to filibuster but Kennedy Ginsburg and Breyer are like 80ish so soon we will be down to a 5 person supreme court,. Then the remaining justices will probably hang in for another decade or so before they start falling off again...

i think the last three supreme court justices in the history of the United States will be Roberts, Kagan, and Sotomayor... Kagan is the youngest by sevweral years so shes the odds on favorite to be the final justice, the person with the power to write the final and binding judicial decisions that no one will ever have the chance to overturn again, to select all the cases she wants and set all the precedents to her liking. But I think John Roberts is gonna be just kind of biding his time, he'll k eep losing 2-1 decisions to Kagan and Sotomayor but he's gonna be doing like all this intense physical training he'll be doing like 100s of situps and all kinds of cardio and hes gonna get insanely buff but nobody will be able to tell what hes got going on under that robe but hes gonna have like a personal chef and five dieticians and he'll be taking all kinds of supplements and writing up draft opinions for allthese different issues like abortion and privacy and guns and everything to get prepared. Kagan will be turning 90 and wondering why hes still alive and them ome day she'll catch him chuigging down a protein shake and hastily wiping his mouth with the sleeve of his robe and shell just be like OH gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

quote:

Scalia's Death Prompts Dow to Settle Suits for $835 Million

Dow Chemical Co. said it agreed to pay $835 million to settle an antitrust case pending before the U.S. Supreme Court after Justice Antonin Scalia’s death reduced its chances of overturning a jury award.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-26/dow-cites-scalia-s-death-in-settling-urethanes-case-for-835m

lol

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Another day without scalia, another day without the sunlight in my life, everything has just gone gray since he passed, and I don't know what is more despicable, death, or you rowdy fellows.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I guess today is Opposite Day.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

No. 6 posted:

I guess today is Opposite Day.

Nothing can reverse death, sadly. Another day with the good Judge alive would be another day with justice living in America

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

if you think about it.this Republican refusal to confirm or even meet with anyone Obama might appoint to the supreme Court is pretty hosed up. When trump gets president if I were a Democrat i would be like No gently caress you i'm not confirming your appointee either right? and each party can just refuse rto confirm the other party's appointee because they dont want the cour tgoing in the other party's favor. We'll be at 8 justices for awhile as both parties continue to filibuster but Kennedy Ginsburg and Breyer are like 80ish so soon we will be down to a 5 person supreme court,. Then the remaining justices will probably hang in for another decade or so before they start falling off again...

i think the last three supreme court justices in the history of the United States will be Roberts, Kagan, and Sotomayor... Kagan is the youngest by sevweral years so shes the odds on favorite to be the final justice, the person with the power to write the final and binding judicial decisions that no one will ever have the chance to overturn again, to select all the cases she wants and set all the precedents to her liking. But I think John Roberts is gonna be just kind of biding his time, he'll k eep losing 2-1 decisions to Kagan and Sotomayor but he's gonna be doing like all this intense physical training he'll be doing like 100s of situps and all kinds of cardio and hes gonna get insanely buff but nobody will be able to tell what hes got going on under that robe but hes gonna have like a personal chef and five dieticians and he'll be taking all kinds of supplements and writing up draft opinions for allthese different issues like abortion and privacy and guns and everything to get prepared. Kagan will be turning 90 and wondering why hes still alive and them ome day she'll catch him chuigging down a protein shake and hastily wiping his mouth with the sleeve of his robe and shell just be like OH gently caress.

democrats care more about appearance than policy. they would capitulate after a week

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Meanwhile, a liberal checks in on the issue:

The sky is insanely blue today. The sun is shining, the critters are doing critter things, and the city throbs with life. But best of all, Scalia was still dead when I woke up again. This is America as it was meant to be. This is the best of all possible worlds.

*Unashamedly does a war dance on top of scalia's grave, bevause there is no wrong in celebrating the passing of evil*

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Terror Sweat posted:

democrats care more about appearance than policy. they would capitulate after a week
Yeah you're right. I mean Obama already was vetting a Republican before, and a quick check of D&D...

ErIog posted:

It's masterful on many levels and only makes Democrats mad in the least likely of cases:
If Sandoval appointment hearings are blocked then it demonstrates to the public that the GOP are obstructionist dicks.
If Sandoval appointment hearings go forward and he's voted down then the GOP looks like obstructionist dicks in that case too.
If Sandoval is actually appointed to the court it removes someone from politics who Dems might have had trouble beating in the future.

I think Obama's calculation is that the appointment probably won't actually go through so he's gonna take the opportunity to make the GOP look bad during an election year in order to increase the chances of the vacancy being filled with an appointment by the next Dem POTUS.

and after Sandoval withdrew:

Fox Ironic posted:

What other Moderate Republicans could Obama tap?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nathilus posted:

Meanwhile, a liberal checks in on the issue:

The sky is insanely blue today. The sun is shining, the critters are doing critter things, and the city throbs with life. But best of all, Scalia was still dead when I woke up again. This is America as it was meant to be. This is the best of all possible worlds.

*Unashamedly does a war dance on top of scalia's grave, bevause there is no wrong in celebrating the passing of evil*

scalia was a good man with dumb views on homosexuality

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Everyone is a good man if you ignore what makes them tertible.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Everyone is a good man if you ignore what makes them tertible.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's a shame Scalia's retirement was caused by his death, but it's unquestionably A Good Thing that he's no longer interpreting the Constitution for maximum oppression from the bench.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

BillmasterCozb posted:

He may or may not have been a good man. I didn't know him. I doubt he was good given how reprehensible his court opinions were, but I'll decline to judge. I won't decline to judge that he was a godawful justice. And he wasn't going to stop being an utter poo poo justice until he died. So yes, I am glad that he's dead. Actuallly thrilled and sexually satisfied would be a better description. I'm liberal.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah you're right. I mean Obama already was vetting a Republican before, and a quick check of D&D...

and after Sandoval withdrew:
liberalism is a disease of the mind

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Nathilus posted:

He may or may not have been a good man. I didn't know him. I doubt he was good given how reprehensible his court opinions were, but I'll decline to judge. I won't decline to judge that he was a godawful justice. And he wasn't going to stop being an utter poo poo justice until he died. So yes, I am glad that he's dead. Actuallly thrilled and sexually satisfied would be a better description. I'm liberal.
yeah i think you lose your right to be called a good man when you come out in favour of executing children and the mentally retarded

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama mentioning the Republican as a possibility has to be one of my all time favorite trolls of the GOP of his

Like imagine being that dude, having a chance at this prestigious lifelong appointment and you can't even entertain the idea of accepting because your whole party thinks it's a trick because they think you're a secret liberal RINO

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

The trolls keep on coming from Obama:

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=1202750846454/Source-DC-Judge-Ketanji-Brown-Jackson-Vetted-for-Scalia-Seat?cmp=share_twitter

quote:

During her confirmation hearing, she received support from Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, who is related to her by marriage. Ryan expressed his “unequivocal” support for her nomination to the D.C. court.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Did obama nominate lawrence lessig yet?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Appachai posted:

Did obama nominate lawrence lessig yet?

I think he's still got to float the idea of nominating Mich McConnell's mother in order for the right to tear her down before he moves on to actually nominating anyone.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Brian Boyko would have an orgasm.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Well if they're possible to shut out Obama from putting one of his own guys on the bench before the clown is out of office, we're in the clear

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He should nominate Cindy Cohn

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Article today about how much Scalia abused free trips and stuff.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zen death robot posted:

False alarm everyone he's still alive!

Nothing would surprise me less than that evil fucker respawning elsewhere on the map.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

zen death robot posted:

This but for Scalia:

Someone should blast him with a few silver-lined bullets, make sure the beast is truly defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

zen death robot posted:

dammit lock thread gas ban op

• Locked thread