Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

if you think about it.this Republican refusal to confirm or even meet with anyone Obama might appoint to the supreme Court is pretty hosed up. When trump gets president if I were a Democrat i would be like No gently caress you i'm not confirming your appointee either right? and each party can just refuse rto confirm the other party's appointee because they dont want the cour tgoing in the other party's favor. We'll be at 8 justices for awhile as both parties continue to filibuster but Kennedy Ginsburg and Breyer are like 80ish so soon we will be down to a 5 person supreme court,. Then the remaining justices will probably hang in for another decade or so before they start falling off again...

i think the last three supreme court justices in the history of the United States will be Roberts, Kagan, and Sotomayor... Kagan is the youngest by sevweral years so shes the odds on favorite to be the final justice, the person with the power to write the final and binding judicial decisions that no one will ever have the chance to overturn again, to select all the cases she wants and set all the precedents to her liking. But I think John Roberts is gonna be just kind of biding his time, he'll k eep losing 2-1 decisions to Kagan and Sotomayor but he's gonna be doing like all this intense physical training he'll be doing like 100s of situps and all kinds of cardio and hes gonna get insanely buff but nobody will be able to tell what hes got going on under that robe but hes gonna have like a personal chef and five dieticians and he'll be taking all kinds of supplements and writing up draft opinions for allthese different issues like abortion and privacy and guns and everything to get prepared. Kagan will be turning 90 and wondering why hes still alive and them ome day she'll catch him chuigging down a protein shake and hastily wiping his mouth with the sleeve of his robe and shell just be like OH gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Terror Sweat posted:

democrats care more about appearance than policy. they would capitulate after a week
Yeah you're right. I mean Obama already was vetting a Republican before, and a quick check of D&D...

ErIog posted:

It's masterful on many levels and only makes Democrats mad in the least likely of cases:
If Sandoval appointment hearings are blocked then it demonstrates to the public that the GOP are obstructionist dicks.
If Sandoval appointment hearings go forward and he's voted down then the GOP looks like obstructionist dicks in that case too.
If Sandoval is actually appointed to the court it removes someone from politics who Dems might have had trouble beating in the future.

I think Obama's calculation is that the appointment probably won't actually go through so he's gonna take the opportunity to make the GOP look bad during an election year in order to increase the chances of the vacancy being filled with an appointment by the next Dem POTUS.

and after Sandoval withdrew:

Fox Ironic posted:

What other Moderate Republicans could Obama tap?

• Locked thread