Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DownByTheWooter posted:

if you didn't the radiation that bad boy is shooting out would give you balls like the fuckin elephant man

Operator spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

I'm guessing you're not supposed to crush the ribs. How strong is a rabbit ribcage?

The problem with the squeeze-the-guts-out approach is it's easy to burst the gut and wind up with a rabbit carcass filled with poo poo and tainted meat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Busket Posket posted:

Woah. That's so much cooler than the dragon.

I dig how the two guys who surprise the chav are apparently just going to stay there holding onto him for the rest of the operation.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I met a good handful of Royal Marines and they were always swole as gently caress

I tried to drink with two of them who were in the Falklands. The older one was in when the RN still had a rum ration, and personally knew the guy who put two Carl Gustavs into the Guerrico.

That turned out to be a mistake.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

The French used to deploy an actual brothel for the troops :france:

The Japanese just used to use indigenous personnel to set one up when they got there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Was seriously expecting it to just start firing everything.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Turkish military helicopter opens fire on Turkish police:

https://twitter.com/agirecudi/status/754086102907047937/video/1

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

MrYenko posted:

And she was hit while sitting still, not moving at 30+ kts, and maneuvering. I don't think the bow would still be attached if she had been at speed.

And there was nothing flammable or explosive on board, so no fires or secondaries.

Still, though. 4 Harpoons, several Hellfires, a Mk84, a GBU-12, and a Mk48. I'm impressed. The USS Caron was twice the displacement of a FFG, they set a single 500lb charge off in the engine room to gather weapon-effects data, and whoops, the ship sunk and took all the data (and sensors, and recorders) with it. The FFGs were tough little ships. Samuel B. Roberts broke her keel against a mine in the Gulf in 1988, she survived that (due to absolutely remarkable damage control by her crew) and was only decommmissioned last year.

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, if you want a modern naval ship to go down in 10 minutes or less, you need a torpedo or mine to break the keel (and the rest of the ship) in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlpx4DMGzYI

Note that the ship in that video is way smaller than even an FFG. The video calls it a "destroyer battleship," but it's actually a corvette, it's only 650 tons as compared to an FFG's ~3200 tons. A modern heavyweight torpedo is a serious amount of overkill for a ship that smalll

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 19, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Koesj posted:

Uhh that's a 2500 ton Leander-class frigate.

I stand corrected, I thought this was the video of the Colac target shot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

because you don't have to redesign the entire warhead. Making a heat-frag warhead is as simple as putting a frag sleeve around the heat warhead already in place (which is pretty easy) as opposed to putting a completely different thermobaric warhead on the missile

Is it? If the missile's tube-launched, the OD has to be smaller than the tube, so you can't just wrap a sleeve around the warhead section and still make it fit. You'd have to fit it internally, which means it's got to fit somewhere, which means you're probably designing a different warhead, one that integrates a fragmentation section, and putting it on the missile.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Good point...my only question would be how much clearance is there between the exterior surface of the missile and the tube? A light frag sleeve adds very little in diameter

I'd expect a really close fit, since HEAT penetration scales as a multiple of diameter of the warhead. Shrink the warhead diameter even slightly from what you could fit in your tube launcher and you've just taken a big penetration hit, so given the constraints of the tube you'd make the warhead as wide as possible.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

The Libyans made the best homemade poo poo.

The Iranians managed to hack together Hawk SAMs into AAMs carried by the remaining Tomcats they've kept flying by constant cannibalization. That's pretty McGuyver.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Note that even though they call it an FAE in the movie, BLU-82 was just a big barrel of basically ANFO.

quote:

Fire makes it clean! Speaking of, a while ago I learned about the CBU-55 and how it was a propane fueled incendiary and man now I want to see one of those go off

Enh, close enough, BLU-96 test at China Lake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmRASCHJe2Q

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That's some real-life World of Tanks poo poo right there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ded posted:

They had a drat good ambush point covered on both sides. Those dudes were hosed.

I don't think they were hosed until the one guy broke his ride going over a bump and then got rear-ended by the other guy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Should have paid extra for the mine *proof* option.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Now do it 80 meters closer.

Looks like at 0:04 they're too close to the float, then when it cuts to the shot they're further away.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

go3 posted:

imagine how many jet powered catamarans we'd have if we did that instead of the Independence/Freedom classes

Probably more useful than LCS.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Pesticide20 posted:

poo poo, the CIA actively recruited Nazis from European nations right after the war in order to fight against communism.

Otto loving Skorzeny wound up working for the Mossad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Matt Groening did 9/11.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Also I spoke with a friend of mine who knows more about BMPs like that. They've likely got no gun stabilization and can't depress the gun for poo poo, so they may have been completely unable to hit the truck on the move through no fault of the gunners.

One of the BMPs that fires sends a round skyward at about a 45 degree angle. I'm going with "they don't practice much."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

holy poo poo that blastwave must've been doing the speed of sound

Yep. A shockwave is supersonic by definition.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

raccoons are perhaps the dumbest smart animals going

"We had one stuck in there before."

It was probably the same one.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Are those zooming about at an extremely rapid pace or are there a couple nanoseconds where a nuclear explosion just sorta wobbles in place?

They're just not in sequence, and not all of the same detonation. The sphere of the explosion doesn't expand and contract, it's not like an UNDEX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQp1ox-SdRI

The mottling and asymmetries in the expansion are from bits of vaporized bomb, tower, shot cab, etc, catching up to and splashing into the expanding shock front. The spikes are the mooring cables for the shot cab which are heated to incandescence by the radiant energy moving out ahead of the shock wave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rope_trick.ogg

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 29, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

(and leaving his weapon unattended 10 feet away... And eating a face full of hummer)

Once you say 'hummer,' then adding 'face full of' is pretty redundant.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Is that a Herkimer Battle Jitney?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Blistex posted:

Wouldn't there be a decent sized puff of dust from the excess pressure being bled off due to the puncturing?

A pressure cooker bomb doesn't contain anything greater than ambient pressure until it detonates.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Russian SOF in Syria. There's some good footage of an ATGM hitting a truck. :aaa:

WTF?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t-tJv1WA9M

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

I could deal with dropping dead but the whole thrashing around and crying with a brain that doctors think should not even be able of experiencing pain anymore is creeping me right the gently caress out.

Bonus fun: the Navy at one point wanted to experiment with DMM as a rocket propellant.

quote:

Phil Pomerantz, of BuWeps, wanted me to try dimethyl mercury, Hg(CH3)2, as a fuel. I suggested that it might be somewhat toxic and a bit dangerous to synthesize and handle, but he assured me that it was (a) very easy to put together, and (b) as harmless as mother’s milk. I was dubious, but told him that I’d see what I could do. I looked the stuff up, and discovered that, indeed, the synthesis was easy, but that it was extremely toxic, and a long way from harmless. As I had suffered from mercury poisoning on two previous occasions and didn’t care to take a chance on doing it again, I thought that it would be an excellent idea to have somebody else make the compound for me. So I phoned Rochester, and asked my contact man at Eastman Kodak if they would make a hundred pounds of dimethyl mercury and ship it to NARTS. I heard a horrified gasp, and then a tightly controlled voice (I could hear the grinding of teeth beneath the words) informed me that if they were silly enough to synthesize that much dimethyl mercury, they would, in the process fog every square inch of photographic film in Rochester, and that, thank you just the same, Eastman was not interested. The receiver came down with a crash, and I sat back to consider the matter. An agonizing reappraisal seemed to be indicated.

Phil wanted density. Well, dimethylmercury was dense, allright– d =3.07 – but it would be burned with RFNA, and at a reasonable mixture ratio the total propellant density would be about 2.1 or 2.2. (The density of the acid-UDMH system is about 1.2.) That didn’t seem too impressive, and I decided to apply the reducto ad absurdum method. Why not use the densest known substance which is liquid at room temperature – mercury itself? Just squirt it into the chamber of a motor burning, say, acid-UDMH. It would evaporate into a monatomic gas (with a low Cp, which would help performance), and would go out the nozzle with the combustion products. That techniques hould give Phil all the density he wanted! Charmed by the delightful nuttiness of the idea, I reached for the calculator.

At NOTS, Dean Couch and D. G. Nyberg took over the job, and by March 1960 had completed their experiments. They used a 250-pound thrust RFNA-UDMH motor, and injected mercury through a tap in the chamber wall. And the thing did work. They used up to 31 volume percent of mercury in their runs, and found that at 20 percent they got a 40 percent increase in density impulse. (I had calculated 43.) As they were firing in the middle of the desert, they didn’t bother with the scrubber. And they didn’t poison a single rattlesnake. Technically, the system was a complete success. Practically – that was something else again.

So that's what they did.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: Oh hell no.

I should clarify in case it's ambiguous: They wound up using elemental mercury, not dimethyl mercury. Originally they were going to do the test in New Jersey and built a big scrubber system to recapture all of the exhaust and prevent the release of mercury to the environment. But then the program was moved and they tested it out in the desert, where they decided the environment wasn't worth bothering with and didn't use the scrubber.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

What's even funnier is we just sent the Cole back to patrol off the coast of Yemen.

I'm guessing the ROE are going to be a bit less restrictive this time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Shamelessly stolen from TL:

That's just a little prick.

Mexican cops kill a cartel head and 7 of his goons via minigun:

https://youtu.be/wIUZL7nqmYU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Almost as good as Martello's hair memo.

What does IN mean in '

CPT, IN
COMMANDING

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Wikkheiser posted:

have low-altitude helicopter races and have rally cars film it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08K_aEajzNA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Q: What nation and unit does the man standing next to the women's auxillary baloon corps and thinking "One day I hope to supply my family with that much food" come from?

Man. Even if they can't hit the broad side of a barn at this range that guy's still in serious danger.

Dammit. Comment seen elsewhere: "Meal Team 6"

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 30, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Facebook video so I can't link directly, but here's the FSB arresting the brother of the St. Petersburg subway attacker:

https://www.facebook.com/izvestia.ru/videos/1517266724973953/

There's a nice surprise in his fanny pack, but because of the cut in the video you can't tell that the FSB didn't just plant it on him.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

It's the shadowy government agency that makes your booty move!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

NRO patch people rule.

poo poo. It's a fake and the real one is entirely lame.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NatReconOfc/status/857619425373167618

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jesus Christ. Army photographer's last photo when the ANA mortar crew she was shooting had their tube blow up:

And the ANA photographer's last shot as well: