Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

To those who say our soldiers don't face threats from the air anymore, I give you the US Air Force

I don't know what went on before that, but depending on the type of control being used, much of the responsibility falls squarely on the JTAC who called for the bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
There's basically a zero percent chance we were dropping dumb iron in support of a TIC in Afghanistan in TYOOL 2013.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Dunson enlisted in the ANA. We should see if we can scrape out our couch cushions and pay Skrillex for a dubstep remix.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Somebody misunderstood what their tactical manual meant by "dismounted infantry."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
What are you talking about, that guy owns. Dude's a squadron commander who said, "gently caress it, I'm rolling with a three inch Hello Kitty decal on my stock."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

That is goddamn impressive for an aircraft of considerable bulk.

Show some pride in your heritage, man :colbert:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Many of them have one specific solution.
Many? All. Having been through that exact course too many times, I am completely certain that they write the solution that they want and then back a problem and description on to it, just like everything else at SOS. The lack of consistency in the obstacle materials is the most aggrivating part. That, or people who don't know what they are doing going rouge and trying to implement their own plan in the middle of an obstacle, like your sister taking her twentieth stroke on a mini-golf hole she refuses to give up on.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I like that they've created a weapon system ideally suited for mowing down street protests, and are making no attempt to disguise that fact.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Or just use something that actual engineers designed

GAU-19B
It's amazing how much more fun this looks compared to the Iranian version.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Tactical baguette delivery

During the siege of Dien Bien Phu, the French attempted to resupply the garrison by air. Although increasingly numerous and effective Viet-Minh AAA would eventually render this untenable, the inaccuracy of the French drops did them no favors. Supplies such as ammunition and rations fell into no man's land, or enemy territory. April 30th is the feast of Camarón, the legendary stand of the Foreign Legion against the Mexican army. The Legion on this day drinks wine and eats sausage. And it wouldn't do to allow the enemy to deprive them.

From Fall's Hell in a Very Small Place:

quote:

One such situation that day was to have humorous side effects. At 2200, de Castries' headquarters reported to Hanoi a successful raid on the Communist trenches and fortifications south of E2 by Maj. Coutant's 1/13 Foreign Legion. One Viet-Minh blockhouse was completely destroyed with plastic charges and two others were severely damaged. In addition at least ten enemy soldiers were killed and others were wounded, while there were no friendly losses to report. The communique, however, failed to stress that the idea of the raid originated in the fact that two complete crates of "Vinogel" wine concentrate had fallen into no man's land east of the Eliane ridgeline held by the Legionnaires. The Legionnaires, who thus far that day had had to celebrate Camerone with exactly one bottle of wine per platoon, were not about to let that precious booty fall into enemy hands. A commando of volunteers was organized (as one non-Legionnaire observed: everybody would have volunteered for that raid) and as soon as night fell pushed off into no man's land. The main objective was rapidly secured, the knocking out of the enemy bunkers being a mere tactical necessity incident to the success of the operation.

(Not actually from DBP.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
$50,000 bomb. JFC, I'd like to at least see some secondaries for that sort of outlay. "Disrupt illicit financial operations"? What the gently caress is this, guys.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Looked like a Hellfire to me.

Which means it was a $100,000+ shot.

Given the anemic performance, I assumed it was either a legacy Hellfire, or one of our new "low CDE" weapons.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Aside from the fact that it would take an Exorcist maneuver to turn around like that, yes it's clearly a loving video game.
The interphone on your plane didn't come with subtitles?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

Does Syria have PGMs or are bombsight-aimed munitions always able to be that accurate?
Depends on who/what is doing the dropping. If you have a laser system for accurate ranging/targeting, a system for measuring winds aloft, a skilled bombardier, and come in for a low altitude/high angle release, you can get drat good accuracy out of unguided bombs. A shot like that requires both luck and skill though.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

sorry but the johnny chimpo lower is way cooler
The PEN15 lower gets way funnier when you realize they're dunking on Spike's Tactical's "tribal dick spider" logo:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

CENTCOM PA needs to step up their game, we need some inspirational music and awesome sound effects in our strike videos too
You know it would end up being set to "Sail" six years after that song was played out.

Also, gotta say, seeing the "Recommended by Iraqi Ministry of Defense" youtube banner is surreal as gently caress.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hostile apostle posted:

officers return fire with small arms
Man, those guys care way more about their jobs than I do.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Where's your downforce now?
:stare: rest of series/vid plz
n/m just totally accidentally ran across it:
https://twitter.com/badly_xeroxed/status/794342699247824897
Ahahahaha, I love the Hip at 2' AGL just making GBS threads flares on the vehicles and burning Hind at 0:45.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Were those vulcans manual or are they controlled by some computer that is aimed through radar or w/e?
I'm pretty sure the drum on the right side of the unit is some sort of fire control radar. At the very least radar ranging coupled to a targeting computer.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 5, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
That's a loving StG44, isn't it? I guess they have a bunch of 7.92 Kurz to go with their WWII tank. :psyduck:

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I was about to ask where on earth they found a working T-34, then I checked wikipedia and it says that as of 1996, it remained in service with 27 countries :stare:

You don't really need much better when your main target is dissidents.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Given his level of certainty about their location, they very well may be his IEDs.

Unrelated: Maria Fletcher visits the Colt plant

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The guy with the helmet strobe looks like he has an EOD badge on his nametag, so he may actually be someone who goes to work with an assault pack and IR strobe on a regular basis.

E: yup, EOD. You can see earlier in the photoset that one of them even brought that giant backpack respirator setup. I'd post it, but iOS is a giant shitpiece about selecting text inside any sort of formatting or popup.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 1, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
That was the CORONA satellite film canisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YQqAnEN_0

They just downlink poo poo now.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

"Hold my akvavit."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Drones seeking out individual dudes and crashing into them with a toe popper's worth of explosive would be terrifying, either persistent, sprinkling them over an area and letting them jump at armed people they hear passing, or actively seeking like "hey swarm, go 300m over there and kill everyone carrying a Russian-made gun". I guess the more appropriate wording is "will" be terrifying. Bonus points if they broadcast "shoot your own dick off and I might let you live" in the local language.

It's not really a solved problem though. The intelligence to recognize "person with a Russian-made gun" is not there yet, but even if they're getting close, the complexity would drive up unit cost and weight. The current system apparently relies on distributed processing, which leaves it vulnerable to EW.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

I work in manufacturing QC

ISIS is able to maintain a 0.1mm tolerance on their parts in the middle of a war zone, and they have a documented supply chain qualification system, AND a process management system. ISO auditors would be impressed.

OTOH, most ISO auditors can't hang non-compliant suppliers from lamp posts and set them on fire.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mike-o posted:

I'm a little rusty on my airplane sperging, but I seem to recall that they have such a good wing/lifting area that they can fly balls slow to the point that the Russians would just have dudes jump out of it onto the ground at low level without getting hurt.

It's Russia, so the whole "without getting hurt" thing was probably just a happy coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwizQfIiBuQ&t=21s

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Ad Anime Per Asperger.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I know it's not exactly military and there's nothing going boom, but this pilot has brass loving balls and almost made his DC10 go boom.
Flying as pilot or observer in one of the CalFire OV-10 pathfinder planes is seriously one of my top 3 dream jobs.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I wonder how much westerners with the Kurds gently caress.

Sample size of one and all, but a Green Beret I talked to said that parachuting in and saying "I'm here to train you in the latest tactics" is a huge panty-dropper for the kind of chicks who run away to join guerilla groups and militias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011