Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Brown Moses posted:

Pro-government tank in Daraya, Damascus, getting hit by rebels.

Trying to figure out if that's ERA cooking off, or if that tank is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

It's Florida or Germany

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

That's pretty close

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Friar Zucchini posted:

The word in Arabic is the same for both, "sarookh." There's actually a poo poo load of words that Arabic has trouble with - "sound" and "voice" are the same word, they don't really have a word that means "loud", that kinda thing.

edit: Holy crap those AK gifs :stare: ...i need more

...or wait is that a FAL?

Top 2 are AKs, then FAL and last is a BAR.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

aphid_licker posted:

Is that really more economical than some hypothetical factory-new improved F-15 version?

That's not the point. If it's a new build its going to be a 35 or perhaps - a very slim chance a 22.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

Man, we need to buy the Brits a super carrier so we can do that poo poo again

From the airpower thread
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/09/usmc_will_fly_f35s_on_hms_queen_elizabeth_first_op_deployment/

Looks like we'll be doing it with F-35Bs in the near future.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

One missile missed badly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNgPIxqEzA8&t=18s

So in the official Russian MoD video they edited it to try and make it looked like it hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S6UuH9OnDg&t=29s

Video from the ground shows it was a clear miss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vcdEAK_U1o

Laugh, nice editing ;)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Is it not cheaper to just have a B52 carpet bomb the whole neighbourhood with 1000 pound dumb bombs than use that many guided munitions?

Look at the video clips from Vietnam. I'd wager you'd be lucky to get 1 or 2 of those on target and you'd have a decent swath of destruction following the path of the plane.

Or you can drop a handful of bombs exactly where you want them.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Friend of mine owns a pipeline inspection firm and they passed up on some work in Columbia in the 1990s because of the kidnapping risks.

The District can be pretty dodgy especially back in the 90s if the stories are true.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That's when you send the q code for "fetch competent operator" #sigburns

In the swan song of our State cable system - I sent one of those.

Felt pretty good after I sent that.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Laugh dockyard victory

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

DoktorLoken posted:

The Mi-24 is still pretty big although I haven't seen one in person in like 5 years.

I saw one flying overhead near Kampala - pretty loving big.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Judging by the "dirt path" going to the right of the photo, its almost a guarantee that the KC-130 came from that direction, left wing dipped, slowed the plane, damaged port outer engine blades and it simply turned towards camera direction at end of run.

Now, that doesn't explain the two starboard engines. They had to be running to lose all their blades, because anything else would have damaged the wing to some extent, but we don't see any marks. Maybe they were windmilling while landing and struck something parked or trees? Otherwise, it hit something in the air.

Edit: The furthest white object on the right of the photo looks like a white pickup truck, but I think the object in front of that might be the Port outer pylon tank.

Balls of Steel Raider 50 posted:

LA Center LA Center, RAIDER 50 declaring an emergency, midair collision with VOLT 93. We have two engines out, we're leaking fuel, and likely on fire, and in emergency descent at this time. RAIDER 50.

While Raider 50 didn't say the impact was on the starboard... I'm thinking it was that side.

TCD fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 1, 2020

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

So if I follow this right you think he connected to the fuel hose and then proceeded to yeehaw barrel roll over the top of the tanker to show off? Have pilots done that successfully before?

I think that would be on the the disconnect. Not during the transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Numbers I've seen but have no verification are $100k per interceptor and around $800 per for the sugar, fertilizer, steel pipe, dynamite warhead, and other assorted parts to make a hamas rocket. Said rockets have killed less than three dozen Israelis in the last twenty years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/namfs3/video_by_hamas_showing_their_military_wing/

Guess steel prices haven't hit the ME yet, because that's a big rocket for just $800.