Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

FourLeaf posted:

It's reddit! Poe's law has got me running around not knowing what's real anymore

Don't worry, it will be the source of a serious piece for a Medium post soon enough, even though it is clear bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
stop fighting the inevitable, just give trump the nom now

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

don't get silly, trump vs hillary debates would be a majestic television moment rivaling UFC in nastiness

i can't wait

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

It's reddit! Poe's law has got me running around not knowing what's real anymore

Don't worry, real posts about suicidal thoughts on Reddit from Bernie supporters will appear on March 1.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

A Trump Clinton debate would be watched by a billion people

It should happen

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Marco looked so thirsty

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

I believe with my full heart that Berniethrowaway32 is a real person telling a totally real story about their life.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

So did Rubio or Cruz end up pulling any delegates? Did they both give victory speeches while winning zero delegates?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

eric posted:

The GOP has to do whatever it takes to get Kasich and Carson to drop by super Tuesday. If not the only way Rubio gets the nomination is a royal screw job at the convention and Trump fucks them over with an independent run.

The idea that Rubio wins a heads up against Trump is basically media fantasy at this point with no real evidence to back it up.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

So did Rubio or Cruz end up pulling any delegates? Did they both give victory speeches while winning zero delegates?

no and no. yes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Trump won all 50 delegates tonight, but there are 698 delegates up for grabs on March 1.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hillary already speaking in Houston :stare:

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Trump won all 50 delegates tonight, but there are 698 delegates up for grabs on March 1.

Don't the March 1st primaries out us at about 1/3 of the total delegates allocated?

I predict Trump will have at least 1/3 of the delegates needed for a majority after March 1st.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

The idea that Rubio wins a heads up against Trump is basically media fantasy at this point with no real evidence to back it up.

A united Rubio-Bush-Kasich ticket would have beaten Trump by a six point margin tonight. As soon as the race winows, Trump is in trouble.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 05:54 on Feb 21, 2016

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

QuoProQuid posted:

A united Rubio-Bush-Kasich ticket would have beaten Trump by a six point margin tonight. As soon as the race winows, Trump is in trouble.

The votes aren't all going to stack together

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx

QuoProQuid posted:

Get out. You dummy.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

You're assuming Rubio gets all the supporters of Bush and Kasich, and while he would probably get most of them, a decent portion would go to Trump and Cruz.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zohar posted:

The votes aren't all going to stack together

Not to mention Trump hasn't gone after Rubio yet. When he does you're going to see some serious blue screening from Rubot.

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
Listen, it's so simple. I'm going to be the nominee and President. Just think of it, President Trump. It's going to happen. Believe me.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Donald Trump posted:

Listen, it's so simple. I'm going to be the nominee and President. Just think of it, President Trump. It's going to happen. Believe me.

Mr. Trump do you think Jeb Bush might have a place in your cabinet? Followup: What about Cruz?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Guy Montag posted:

Mr. Trump do you think Jeb Bush might have a place in your cabinet? Followup: What about Cruz?

McGovern said he'd consider Wallace for his cabinet after visiting him in the hospital in '72.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/701269540844527616

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

QuoProQuid posted:

Any futher winnowing is going to probably be after Super Tuesday and Trump could have a big lead by that point. I still think Rubio has a good chance of winning but I'd consider Trump the frontrunner at this point.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What are the chances of the nominee not being settled before the Republican convention?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

The most unsettling time will be when Trump gets inaugurated and for at least one brief moment everything feels the same as it did before.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

McGovern said he'd consider Wallace for his cabinet after visiting him in the hospital in '72.

Holy poo poo, why? A bid for Southern Democrats?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pakled posted:

What are the chances of the nominee not being settled before the Republican convention?

Still pretty low. Most of the delegates will be awarded on March 1 and March 15. If we're still in a three way deadlock on the 16th, it might happen, but it's far more likely that either Rubio or Cruz will be well ahead of the other at that point.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aliquid posted:

Holy poo poo, why? A bid for Southern Democrats?

Yes. HHH would have won easily in '68 without Wallace in the race.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Pakled posted:

Unlikely if one of the challengers doesn't pick up a competitive amount of delegates on March 1st and March 15th and after.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

Still pretty low. Most of the delegates will be awarded on March 1 and March 15. If we're still in a three way deadlock on the 16th, it might happen, but it's far more likely that either Rubio or Cruz will be well ahead of the other at that point.

Even if Trump's wins narrow to 3-5% per state, it's still a massive delegate sweep, as seen tonight. There's a pretty good chance that that the delegate count after the 15th is closer to 70% Trump, 30% Rubio/Cruz.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Joementum posted:

Some haven't been polled in months, but most of them see Trump in the lead by 5 to 15 points. After winning three states in a row, do you really think his numbers are going to fall in the south?

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Joementum posted:

But in a 3 way race with Cruz and Rubio about even doesn't that mean they are getting too few votes to pick up many delegates due to the states that allocate on winner take all or modified winner take all (like SC)?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Boosted_C5 posted:

Don't the March 1st primaries out us at about 1/3 of the total delegates allocated?

I predict Trump will have at least 1/3 of the delegates needed for a majority after March 1st.

More like 1/4th of the total delegates allocated. If you add them to the February ones it's ~1/3.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Joementum posted:

Saving this post for when trumps win in Florida puts him in the lead and kasich is in second place after winning Ohio

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fuschia tude posted:

Some haven't been polled in months, but most of them see Trump in the lead by 5 to 15 points. After winning three states in a row, do you really think his numbers are going to fall in the south?

I think the winnowing is going to make those 5-15 point leads -5-5 point leads (edit: or worse).

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I think the winnowing is going to make those 5-15 point leads -5-5 point leads.

We will see :smug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

Yes. HHH would have won easily in '68 without Wallace in the race.

Oh man, I didn't realize the states played out that way; I thought Wallace's support was wholly contained in the states he won. Nixon won about fifteen really close states, and even some that weren't that close (Florida at >9%) would still have swung Humphrey's way because of Wallace's strong showing.

At what point did the Dems realize that the South was Nixon's for the taking and stop campaigning for white votes there? my brain says 2010

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Are there Super Tuesday states that Rubio has at least a decent shot at winning?

e: I checked; early February polls had him down 6 in VA and CO, down 4 in AR, and up 2 in MN.

e2: confused AR with AK, I meant Arkansas.

Slate Action has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Feb 21, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Slate Action posted:

Are there Super Tuesday states that Rubio has at least a decent shot at winning?

e: I checked; early February polls had him down 6 in VA and CO, down 4 in AK, and up 2 in MN.

Honestly, he has a decent chance in any of them except, probably, Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slate Action posted:

e: I checked; he's within 6 in VA and CO, within 4 in AK, and up 2 in MN.

He'll get the full party backing in MN and VA, CO and AK will be tough for him.

In AK, aren't the various native populations receptive to moderate Republicans? I think I remember Murkowski relying on them for her write-in campaign.

• Locked thread