Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Red Oktober posted:

I worked for a midsize bank, and would often get requests for my budget through from central finance as "we had someone addressed to you, we paid it, now pay us back." Without any sort of checking before paying it.

It was all legit, but I can see how someone could have billed me for something I didn't use and get the money.

In my last job, the finance person I worked with spent some time every single month going through all the things that other business units had charged off to ours and rejecting the gently caress out of them when it inevitably turned out to be inappropriate for them to have done so. Corporations scam themselves internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

That robo call has valled 7 times today. Nobody picks up the phone.

A robocall that no one answers is practically free, so they'll try it a LOT of times.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

I mean, usually what you do is cancel via phone, then return the equipment.

The lifehack is to return the equipment at a physical office and get a receipt. If they keep billing you don't even bother with them - call your credit card company, offer to send a scan of the receipt, and report the charges as fraudulent.

That's not a lifehack as it makes sense and makes your life better. A lifehack would be to call and cancel, then reroute the cable to your neighbour and give him the equipment so now he gets free cable (and then you get billed every month for the service that is now his)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

He's just joking that "life hacks" are usually dumb. That's it, that's all there is to it

I mean yeah, I thought that was the whole point of the thread.

Edit: haha, I'm a loving moron and thought I was posting in the lifehacks thread.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 14, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

greazeball posted:

According to Charity Navigator, they spend about 25% on fundraising and 10% on admin so only 65% goes to the program which is pretty poor IMO for an org with revenue of $35 million/year.

Don't forget children and the police!

Is that top one spending nearly 97% of its revenue on raising revenue?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

In the UK it's common to get hit by a wave of 'chuggers' in the high streets, (charity muggers). They're a vile type who do their best to guilt you into paying a monthly subscription to a charity - some really well known, some unheard of. They also make it sound like they're in the streets volunteering but the ones in my old area were on about £8 ($12) an hour. They're told that they generally need 2 years worth of money from a person to break even. Scams all the way down.

Chuggers are the worst. They're all working from the same playbook down to the emphatic hand gestures. I hate them.

The only upside is they're not allowed to sign you up to donate then and there any more, they have to arrange a time for someone to call you a few days later to set it all up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

peanut posted:

More like someone who actually cares about the cause and doesn't know the money is used ineffectively :(

I've seen the same people on different days collecting for different charities so either they're massively into everything or they're not really into the cause and just need a job.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

stringball posted:

Can a UK goon tell an idiot american about TV taxes? The concept of it is odd and I remember hearing the collectors go door-to-door, bringing up great opportunities to scam people apparently

It's not hugely complicated - you need a license to watch broadcast TV or to watch the BBC online. The usual approach that the beeb takes to enforcing this is to just repeatedly send mailings to any address without a license telling them if they watch TV without getting one they're breaking the law, but there are also TV detector vans. How these vans work is subject to some debate (with some people believing they don't actually do anything at all) as the beeb says it doesn't want to put the mechanics out there as then people would work around them.

What IS apparently the case though is that as a form of suveillance, the beeb has to get the same permissions to use a detector van as the security services do to use a wiretap. Which is weird.

I guess you could scam someone by driving down a street full of students with a van with a big antenna on the top, knocking at each door and demanding they give you £150 for a TV license because you detected their laptop watching Doctors.

Edit: If you google TV License scam you get a LOT of results. And frankly I'm amazed only one of them is from a Murdoch owned paper saying the concept of the license itself is the scam.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 5, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

If you watch the BBC iplayer now it asks you for your address and name, so I assume if you're dumb enough to put your own in and you have no license it sends you a fine through the post. That's kind of it for ways they could enforce it though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Why not just make it something subsidized through regular old taxes? It seems like they're making way more work(and spending more money) with the TV fees than if the funding just came through income tax.

I guess the thinking back in the day was that not many people have it so they'll pay for it and it's just continued through inertia, similar to the annual car tax we have. This way though, there's distinct funding for the BBC that a hostile government has to do a lot more work to defund and dismantle. It's like how national insurance makes the tory dream of putting a bullet in the NHS a bit harder.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Could they even (theoretically) figure out what channel you were watching on a CRT? Someone else upstream said the UK also has ad-supported channels; could the van tell the difference?

In addition to what's already been said about phreaking, from a legal standpoint it wouldn't matter. The TV license is for you to watch ANY broadcast television whatsoever, so it wouldn't matter if you were watching ITV or Channel 5 (Channel 4 is both ad supported AND publicly funded, weirdly), you'd still need the license.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know back years ago, if you could prove you were in an area where you physically couldn't receive the BBC signals, you could get out of it.

It's all BS though, it's not a tv license it's a 'we will charge every household and dorm room £150 unless you jump through hoops' tax. If they ever turn up at your door with or without the police, tell them to gently caress off.

Well yeah, don't let them into your property unless they can actually prove they have the legal right to come in there with a warrant.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

That's the bigger "scam" part - their tendency to pretend to people who are trusting or clueless (old people and students basically, sometimes immigrants) that they have police powers and force their way indoors.

Are there actual cases of this happening then? I'm looking now and pretty much every news story I can find on dodgy TV license inspector behaviour is from the Daily Mail, which I'm always loathe to believe unless there's something else backing it up. Especially when it's about the BBC because they loving hate the BBC.

Edit: Oh, they've subcontracted it out to loving Capita, I believe it entirely.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It may also be that they're required by statute to enforce it, even though collection might not be especially profitable. It's like how some train stations here are technically open and have one train a week because closing them down is mired in paperwork and stuff that has to go through parliament.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lol at this really specific sovereign citizen bullshit. "I've decided it doesn't apply to me so please refund"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

peanut posted:

U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20535-0001

INTERPOL is the world’s largest international police organization, with 190
Member countries.
Our role is to enable police around the world to work together to make the
world a safer place. Our high-tech infrastructure of technical and operational
support helps meet the growing challenges of fighting crime in the 21st
century.
Email: https://www.interpolpolice56

Urgent Attention

We have this morning discovered that you have been making foreign legal
transactions with Western Unions, Money Grams, Diplomatic Agents and Banks with
West African Countries (Benin, Nigeria, Ghana etc.). We went further with the
investigations we found out that you don't have Money Laundering Clearance
Certificate, which is a major Federal Offence. You have violated the World
Federal Law, which constituted against smuggling of large amount of money and
trafficking of drug e.t.c., without having Money Laundering Clearance
Certificate before you commenced the transaction. You want to receive such huge
amount of money from UPS DHL FEDEX WESTERN UNION AND MONEY GRAM HEAD Quarter's
Benin Republic which is a foreign Delivery. Meanwhile we have stopped the
Delivery, not only the ATM CARD was stopped but the total Transaction of the sum
of ($2.7 million dollars)

Furthermore, be advised that according to the World Wide Law Enforcement Agency
together with the FBI rules and regulations, you are to obtain the document
from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Benin Republic which
is the origin of the fund in question. Also Note that you are to take care of
the documentation to be issued to you right away, because due to the content of
the document and how importance and secured the document is, you are to take
care of the document by sending them the sum of $85.00 US Dollars only to the
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Benin Republic for issuing of the
document right away and your Payment will be release to you. That is the only
way the Economic and Financial Crime Commission Benin Republic will issue you
the document, because they are going to issue you the Authentic and Original
copy of the documents.

Note that your rights are limited; anything you SAY or DO will be used as
evidence against you in the court of Law. You have the full rights to remain
silent and obey the Law. Don't think we don’t know you or your address. We will
get you arrested if you fail to provide the document or pay for it to be
obtained from Benin Republic. The Arrest Warrant can only be withdrawn once the
document is obtained. There are three charges against you, which are:

1. Smuggling of a huge amount of money into your country without Money
Laundering Clearance Certificate is a violation to Federal Law. 2. Smuggling of
a huge amount of money into your country without a proper documentation is a
violation 2003 Federal Constitution, otherwise, called illegal transaction. 3.
it’s a Conspiracy, a Criminal Attempt and Disobedience to the Federal Law,
which will eventually lead you to 5-year imprisonment.

You Should Send The Money Direct To The Country Of Origin Of The Fund In Question
through western union or money gram money transfer system:

State/City: Cotonou
Text Q.: info
Answer: Yes
Amount;;;;;;$85
Receiver Name:EBELE OHIDE
Sender name: and MTCN is needed;

Once, you make the payment, attach and send to us the copy of the payment slip
for verification before sending it to the Economic Financial Crime Commission
(EFCC) Benin Republic.

WARNING: Failure to pay for this documentation is a confirmation that you
wanted to smuggle the funds into the country which is a federal offense and a
gross violation of the Patriot Act and legal action will be taken immediately
by arresting and detaining you and if found guilty, you will be jailed As
terrorism, drug trafficking and money laundering is a serious problem in our
community today. The UNITED STATE INTERPOL world’s largest international police
organization will not stop at any length in tracing you down and prosecuting
any criminal who indulge in this criminal act.

Sign: General Shawn A. Bray, head of the Central Investigation Bureau
UNITED STATE INTERPOL world’s largest international police organization

FBI WEB SITE http://www.fbi.gov/Interpol site http://www.justice.gov/Supreme
Court of United State
International Trade Court

Oh no, not the world wide law enforcement agency!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

Loot crates.

Door to door euthanasia loot crates.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

My wife does Avon stuff and yeah, it's basically a bit of extra money. She posts catalogues through people's doors, they order stuff, she puts the order in, collects the cash from them, delivers them the stuff and then pays for the order. She gets a phone call from them the day before each campaign order is due where they try to get her to order extra items that are on sale, but she basically ignores those.

You CAN do the whole "recruit others and profit from them" thing, but they don't seriously push it and they don't expect you to live and breathe it. The worst you can say about it is that it probably takes more time than it's actually worth spending.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TheKennedys posted:

I mean, Avon is probably one of the less exploitative MLMs but it's still an MLM, one of the oldest and most well-established ones. The fact that they focus more on sales just helps to legitimize them, but I doubt anyone would see significant money without pushing recruiting hardcore just like any other MLM (also lol if they think they'll be making significant money with that either).

The bits to look out for are "which is more important, recruiting or actual sales?" "do they track product sales to customers or only to consultants" and "are you encouraged to keep a massive inventory of poo poo you will likely never sell". Bonus points for "does the product actually do anything" and "does it work better than something you can get from the drugstore for $3" Any MLM that hits any of those red flags is not worth even spending the effort to listen to a pitch for, because it's guaranteed to be Mary Kay/LuLaRoe/ItWorks! level of scammy garbage

e: also, in tangentially related news, every single facebook post from a "millenial" MLM (LLR/Scentsy/ItWorks/etc) is a copy/paste from their upline and/or the company website. I see a lot of people (not necessarily here) wondering why every MLM shill post has the same feel to it, well, that's why.

I like the MLM recruitment posts where they do everything they can to not tell you what the product or service actually is. Just about how much you can make and how happy they are because they're an entrepreneur and why wouldn't you want to be an entrepreneur too!

If you won't even mention the name of your company, you can bugger off

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Was it the lifelock CEO who put his social security number on the side of a truck to prove how good the product was?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MightyJoe36 posted:

Can't find it on YouTube right now, but there was a Seinfeld episode where he buys his dad one of those electronic organizers that at the time were really expensive. George tells him to tell his dad that he "got a deal" on it, and hint that it might be "hot." This really impresses the old man. "Look at this! Jerry got me a deal on it. It might even be stolen."

The thing that makes people buy Van Meat, Speakers, and other questionable stuff off a truck is the same thing that gets them to fall for stupid stuff like Nigerian scams - they want to think that they're smarter and/or a better negotiator than everybody else or they want to believe that they can get something for nothing.

People wonder why, in the year 2018, it's still almost impossible to buy a new car without going through a dealer and going through the whole "what would it take to put you in this car today" and "let me talk to my sales manager" bullshit. They tried the "no-haggle" car sales with Saturn in the 1990s and the company ended up folding.

The majority of car buyers want it that way. They want to go into a dealer and pretend that they're a great "horse trader" and then brag to their buddies how they out-negotiated the sales guy and "got a deal." Same thing with Van Meat.

Has the US got anything like the car supermarkets we have in the UK like AvailableCar? They have customer service and finance types that are on no commission, they don't haggle over sticker price and you basically wander their huge parking lot looking at the cars and then go back to the office to do a test drive. When you buy it the finance guy shows you their options but if you say you've got the funds already they just shrug and you're on your way. I've bought like three cars through them and one through a Ford dealership and I'd prefer to never go back to a dealership again after extra fees getting tacked on and aggressive sales pitches for finance and their "service plans".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rusty Shackelford posted:

My voice is my passport?

God shut UP Werner, you've compromised security like eight times this week because you keep saying that poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm Scam Likely.

Oh, of the Conneticut Likelys?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Leverage was pretty good.

In a very similar vein, Hustle is great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Tony Martin would beg to differ...

I love that he claims he "found" a pump action shotgun. Yeah, sure Tony, we're just tripping over firearms here in the UK. After Hungerford and Dunblane all the guns in private ownership were gathered up and just scattered across Norfolk for farmers to find.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Generally speaking I abhor violence and prefer to solve issues in non-violent means.

I won't lie though; when I saw a helmet-haired televangelist demand that his followers send him money because God told him he was holy enough that he deserved a fourth private jet I wanted to hit the man with an axe. I highly doubt I'd ever actually do it but boy howdy did that ever fill me with rage.

John Oliver had a great episode on televangelists. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

Televangelists are 100% a horrible scam. They are dreadful people.

My favorite thing about that John Oliver thing is the number of people that sent him envelopes with actual seeds in after.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

Don't have kids, but if you do get used to this happening a couple times after they call to see what would happen or cry into the receiver because TV time is over.

ps,

"maybe you can help us work out where this meat is from"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

One of my first jobs was ringing people to try and hand out lost money.

In my country if a company has money they don't own and can't find an owner for andit just sits there it amasses a punitive rate of interest to encourage them to find its owner quickly.

It usually occurs because someone died with some forgotten account and no one ever claimed it and whoops it's 30 years later and costing a fortune.

While a really fun job, ring folks up and give them money, it was very hard to get to a point I could do that. Cause it sure as hell sounds like a scam when I rang and asked them to give me information.

https://youtu.be/03K1cR9qQZM

Was this you

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sanford posted:

That happened with burger vans in Derby and Nottingham in the UK. My wife used to know some guys who ran food vans and they all had guns. Chap with a burger van near my old job used to sleep in the van fairly often because people tried to set it on fire so many times. He reckoned he was the only one in the city who actually wanted to sell burgers rather than launder money/sell drugs. Punch-ups over the best spots outside the stadium on match days were not uncommon for a while.

The only burger van in Nottingham I can imagine needing a gun is that one near Rock City and Rescue Rooms that's always absolutely swarming at chucking out time. I can see needing to loose off a few rounds if the students are getting rowdy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Offler posted:

The same logic that the U.S. border control used for the first question on the short form you had to fill out to enter the U.S. as a tourist in the 90s. The form was just 6-7 yes/no questions, the first one was literally "Are you a terrorist?"

Wasn't there also one that asked if you were a Nazi?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Masonity posted:

Isn't that usually just some call center (usually a scam one) illegally using more autodiallers than they have staff working so there's noone to pick up the call when it hits your phone?

Most of the time yeah. I don't know how the law works in the US but in the UK you can dial as many lines as you want, the regulator only gets involved if you're hanging up on 3 percent of the calls you make without the customer getting to speak to an agent. This leads to running an auto dialler being a fun balancing act between getting through the records as fast as possible and going slow enough that you don't drop a bunch of calls and end up with Ofcom on your back.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

beats for junkies posted:

I got an email telling me that I had a new google voice message for a number I haven't paid attention to in years. The message was nothing (literally 30 seconds of silence), but I decided to scroll through the history and found these two gems totally legitimate messages I didn't respond to and so now I'm sitting in Real Prison (transcriptions by google voice):

"You're from the legal department the very second you receive this message. You need to leave your work aside so that we can discuss about your case and take necessary action on this matter in order to connect federal agent, press one, and you will be connected to the concerned Department. If we we don't hear from you, then we will be forced to take took action against you press one and you will be connected to the concerned Department."

"Is 7 Spectre general of Social Security Administration your social security number has been suspended. We would request you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case. Thanks, you suck. Hello, this is Linda. This is the final reminder from the office of Inspector General of Social Security Administration. Your social security number has been suspended. We would require you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case. Thanks you"

"Thanks, you suck. Hello, this is Linda." made me laugh.

There's a reason Paul F Tompkins used to have a section of his podcast where he just read aloud Google Voice transcriptions of messages he received, it's never not funny how it screws up in minor ways that totally change the intended tone and meaning.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I've been watching Jeeves and Wooster (someone has uploaded them all to YouTube) and even though I knew him as a sketch performer with Stephen Fry first and foremost, these days it still feels odd to see him speaking with what is mostly his own accent.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Neito posted:

Anything that ends up being the subject of an episode of Last Week Tonight has to be good for capitalism.

That was coroners wasn't it? Which is kind of worse.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

It's astonishing how suddenly aggressive they become, you see it on the reddit convo chats all the time.

Because you've wasted their time, how dare you?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Neito posted:

I had someone call my phone to offer me services for my website and I pretended I didn't know what the internet was. He told me I was being "Very mature, gently caress you" and hung up.

When I still had a landline I'd get about three calls a week from "Windows" trying the scam where they get you to install remote access stuff and spyware and steal all your digital stuff. After months of this I finally said to one of them in a weary, weary voice "Look man, could you just take my number off this list? You guys call all the time and it's literally never going to work, it's a waste of your time". And the guy loving LOST it at me. "gently caress you, we're going to call you a hundred times a day", poo poo like that. They didn't, the calls continued at the same rate, and we just kept hanging up on them. What a waste of time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

I keep forgetting that Jagger is still alive and making toxicologists question their research.

Jagger nothing, Keith Richards is the one pushing up LD50s for everything he can cram in his mouth.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

This has been my Gmail from the word go, dumbasses with the same real name as me who think they own firstname.lastname@ when they don’t. It’s unusable. Luckily those dummies don’t have Apple stuff, so my @me.com has always been fine.

My first name is both uncommon and spelled in the less common of two ways it could be and my surname is pretty rare. There's still some guy in Brooklyn who sometimes forgets he doesn't have the Gmail for his name and gets stuff sent to me, most recently all the receipts and confirmation email for everything to do with his wedding.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

Go to the wedding. If the bride is hot, claim you're the real groom, with the emails as proof.

I dunno man, Massachusets is a long way from the middle of England and the receipt for the catering didn't look like my kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

A lot of lawyers offices just have some a 'this is sensitive information, do not open if you are not the intended recipient' disclaimer as part of their default signature on all outgoing mail to cover themselves, and I think that encourages them to treat the more sensitive stuff casually.

I remember a couple of jobs ago one team started putting something like "this email is categorised as SECRET" in all their signatures (it might have been INTERNAL or something else, it was basically the second highest category of document we had), and this was eventually met with our director emailing everyone to say "Hey, that poo poo is not alright, you review each one and categorise it, you don't get to just pretend your every utterance is going to cause material damage to the company if it is shared, do it properly"