Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I saw the troubles with legacy sticks on a tournament stream but what's the deal with regular DS4s people are talking about? I'm thinking of trying to go to tournaments (to be free to people) but it's likely I'll only have a DS4 to play with for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Pomp posted:

evo is tentatively allowing ds4 this year

After your match, a caster crushes your DS4 in their powerful hands to assure a desync.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Servers should be coming down right now and they expect them to be back up by 4pm PST. They just say "scheduled maintenance" but maybe all our dreams will come true.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Bruc posted:

What's a good character to start with in this that isn't Ryu or Ken?. I haven't played a 2d fighting game since the second version of SF4 so I'd like to avoid people that are very combo dependent until I get a decent grasp on the game. Something similar to Blanka in 4 where he had good normals and some pretty simple short combos. Picking this up tonight and haven't read up on or really followed it at all so apologies if this has been answered a bunch in the past, everything I've seen on google just says Ryu but I am just not a fan of him/ken and don't want to end up practicing with a character that is really hard to learn.

Cammy has a few excellent normals and a great walk speed to help surprise people with them. I think all her combos are pretty simple, short of V-trigger shenanigans. One of her downsides is she has no standing overhead at all.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

She's great and every time my goggles Cammy gets crushed by a normal Cammy I still count it a win.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I think Zangief and R Mika are the most heroic characters because they just have wrestling training and they still go out there to fight people who can throw fireballs.

Is there a looping gif of Gief's vacuum yet?

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Birdie, the most heroic character.

He has comfort food.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Foodahn posted:

Don't call them "casters". Jesus christ.

Broadcaster? Announcer? I wasn't sure what gave them the appropriate respect, by which I mean a middling level of it.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Now I can't lose a couple matches before I have to go out. :( I hope the servers are at least a little more stable when they put them back up.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Lhet posted:

I'm now managing to consistently scrape by a decent number of ranked wins with Ryu's simplified gameplan (c.mk/c.hk/throw/hadoken/shoryuken), but am now having huge difficulties with anybody else I try. Necalli I really want to like, but it feels like I can't apply decent pressure without running in and then getting destroyed (or just losing a close range fight that he theoretically he should have the advantage in). Nash keeps on getting destroyed by jump ins (and slow reactions to them). With Ken, I don't have the proper feel for aggression in this game so he's like a worse Ryu.

I think I just don't have a proper feel for when to block, dash/jump, or attack (in addition to execution problems causing dropped combos here and there). What should I do to work on getting a better sense of those things?

I'm not a good player, so I'll stick to just a couple things I feel confident would help. But if someone good contradicts me then probably go with them.

If they're not coming in because they're spamming fireballs, I think you need to find the range where you can punish that with a jump-in over it. Some characters, not Ryu, also have specials and v-skills which slip right through fireballs if your timing is right.

If they're not coming in because they're defensive and you want to do the opening up, I think you need to either dash in and do a safe one or more hits and try to keep the height or occasional throw unpredictable. That or find what you can combo or cancel into if you catch someone with a poke like a cMK at its max range.

e: And if you get in and knock them down or come in when they're knocked down, you can use jmcroft's video on option selects.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Point is, what's that mean for the matchup? A draw? Does that count as balanced?

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Awesome! Now I can use that code for a free month of subscription to their channel to... I dunno.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Ah, I see this Cammy at the WSO has wisely chosen to do all their specials while wearing goggles.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Haha! It landed, but I'm pretty sure one of the CASTERS just said "what the hell" about that random spiral arrow.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

i had a really fun round 2 in this match, mindgames own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srf35ndAQ20&t=110s

Why the hell didn't this end with a grab? Still love it.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Fought my way up to bronze, tilted back down to ~450, back to bronze--I think this is where I'm settling currently. It fits my "I forget the punish for aggro I trained as soon as a real match starts" play style.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I have a little trouble with the slightly-delayed-grab option select. I hit it better in training than in matches, like EVERYTHING, and so I've been assuming feeling a bit tense is loving up my timing as usual. But it did make me curious, does the way they handle lag mean you need to hit things on time or a bit ahead of time?

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

The way they handle lag in this game, do you need to hit buttons right on or a bit ahead?

Do people with fightpads use their fingers or thumbs on the face buttons (or is close to evenly split)?

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

See, she photosynthesizes so she HAS to dress light.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

New Laura has better hair.

[physics engine disagrees during round-win pose]

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Most Smash players seem to be unique snowflakes in annoying ways, but their presence at EVO did make for my favorite comment I saw while watching the stream last year.

They were giving gold arcade sticks to winners of all the games. When whoever's stick broke during the USFIV finals and there was a lot of confusion for a minute about how it would be handled, someone in Twitch chat said "GET ONE FROM THE SMASH WINNERS! THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S FOR!"

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

The main benefit of a properly configured rollback netcode is that you don't get input delay and you have the feel of playing offline.

The downside is, if you have a bad connection with the other player, you may see them warping around. But with the other method of handling lag, you would see the whole game slow and that can be just as or more frustrating.

Trouble currently is that it seems only one player sees the rollback and PC has a rather reliable way of forcing that trouble onto the other player. One player sees the match correctly and the other sees all the warping.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I've been looking at fight sticks too and considering a Madcatz, the HORI RAP4, and whatever shows up on craigslist.

The HORI seems great but I don't like how gigantic it is. And I haven't heard any reason for it to be that big other than if you find it more stable on your lap.

What I'm really curious about is if there's any delay or similar problems using one of the Brook USB stick converters for PS3 > PS4. And when you do, is that when you use legacy authentication or does the converter avoid that?

Hydrocodone fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 26, 2016

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I'm listening to these French commentators yell "mais oui" during this tournament and I've never felt so worldly.

^^^^: Thank you!

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

In Training posted:

It's funny that they've advertised this as the first stop on the CPT and tried to play it up but the schedule on Capcom's website just says "Sunday - ???"

I've found that question marks on an invitation usually just means 9:30.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

And find a goon you have a good net connection with and play sets with them. I find having very little downtime between matches and seeing the same gameplay for a while makes it easier to work on things.

And if they're way better than you, just take one thing you're working on that day, like landing a certain punish, and count it as a victory whenever you manage that much. It'll still be really valuable practice.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I think you get 1k fight money per level up on each character. I would guess they could give a pretty small amount of EXP for lobby matches without losing a lot of revenue. An amount that would be useful over the very long run but really inefficient to just trade wins for. I'd like that.

I like that I've got fight money for two characters and a bit more from the tiny story mode and some survival (though I hate survival). I'm expecting we'll get a somewhat similar amount for completing the "cinematic story mode" when that comes. But I'm still afraid it'll be easy to get about 4 characters and then slow suddenly to a grind after using up the one-time things.

Hydrocodone fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 27, 2016

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

What's usually the goal with footsies?

With Cammy I sHK things I think I can predict and jump-ins for the chance at crush countering. I poke with either sMK for its long range or cMK for the chance to cancel into special if my reactions are great. But when I want to catch their attack with mine (that's the only thing called footsies, right?) I'm not sure if I want HK for crushes, cMK for cancels, or something else for something else like just adding a little damage.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Anybody else watching Winter Brawl? The brackets are supposed to start any minute now.

I'm watching idly. And Winter Brawl is sponsored by some vape company. What a meeting of subcultures.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I just noticed they've got USFIV as well. I don't care much who wins, but I'm excited to see some of that tomorrow because I played so little and so long ago that I don't remember a majority of the differences between it and 5.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

dont play footsies with cancer

AnonSpore posted:

Burn meter not tobacco

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Does SFIV-style plinking literally not work or is it just far less worth it to stretch 3-frame windows to 4? And some notes I read said input windows are increased by "2f either direction," but isn't it just 2f before? Either way sounds like it'd be 5-frame windows.

It's still a bit hard to separate notes people made in beta from release stuff when googling.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

OxMan posted:

I'm a victim of winter brawl hype. PSN: EffEmmEll

Particularly since cross-play with the PC works great, the most effective way to find goons to play with is using this thread to look them up or joining the Discord chat using the link in the OP to find people around right now.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Ono tweeted on the 24th that they would be giving more info about a patch, I would guess the March one, in "the next few days." I hoped that meant we'd get more details or even a time frame by now but I guess not. :(

Still enjoying most of my online play immensely. And I also like that Ono has given a few straightforward apologies about the launch troubles. It's nice in a world of "we understand some people are reporting alleged issues that may or may not exist."

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

messaging needs a dedicated button after all matches so i can get as salty as possible

What do you mean? Hotkey-ing a few favorite phrases from the list or typing your own like they were talking about?

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Very nice.

Any particular reasons you chose it that you can share? I'm idly researching arcade sticks (that 30-tabs-about-it-open-for-weeks kind of idly) and I like hearing people's reasons.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Whoa. That case builder is reasonable.

http://imgur.com/a/plkGF

I was thinking of doing something like this.

After the first picture, I was really hoping they were gonna just cut holes in the cardboard box the stuff shipped in and use that.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Just posting to give the nth recommendation for the Hori FC4.

I just got it today, so I haven't put it through its paces. But it feels REALLY solid and it's comfortable to hold in two hands if you don't/don't yet wanna lay it on your leg and piano the buttons. And I thought I wouldn't make use of the bonus features, like tilting the D-pad and adjusting the diagonal sensitivity, but I played around with them and I actually might.

I think the only consistent complaint I've seen is the D-pad wearing out, not immediately but a little too fast. But I can't speak to that.

And it was $30 from US Amazon with Prime. I dunno if that's the cheapest it's been, but it looks like a significant savings.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

OxMan posted:

How are diagonals on that thing? I got the fightpad pro cause it seemed like holding db for charge chars could be problematic but i actually use the stick on it not the dpad anyways.

Keep in mind, I'm still basically "first impressions." And on the DS4 I was mostly using the joystick too, so I'm not a d-pad pro.

Really good, for a d-pad. Their physical design is no different, like it's still a + rather than a dish or something. But there's a switch on the back, the kind you turn with a coin or screwdriver, that lets you make the diagonal area thinner or thicker. It felt good the way it arrived (I'd say as good or MAYBE a little better than the DS4 d-pad) but I tried it on the thicker setting and my accuracy is definitely a bit better. It particularly cut down on me neutral jumping instead of jumping in or out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Dictator, Boxer, and Claw came about because of the name swaps made for English versions, right? Or do all the characters have nicknames?