Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

SectumSempra posted:

sf4 had the most intuitive unlock system.

Fight with them, unlock color/ taunt alternating.

Except the character unlock system. That was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I did a new video about frame data, for anyone who is confused about how to read it and how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmVzilCDMiE

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is the fighting commander 4 pad any good

Yup it's very good

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

angel opportunity posted:

It's a mess. I don't even remember what I did, but you have to find an HDMI hub or whatever that is "bugged" and doesn't transfer over the encryption. I had to read all these Amazon reviews and google a lot to find the "right one" and even then there was a risk they'd ship me a different version that "worked" and carried over the encryption.

You don't have to do this on PS4 right, can't you turn off HDCP in settings?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/YTYogaFlame24/status/704775148528930816

D.... Daigo-san.....

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

See, I always heard it was all in the fingers and you should keep everything else at a minimum

This is how I play and I've never had a problem dashing.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did a vid on how to fight Bison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCVVMD7z7r0

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

it will be boring and people will defend it because sfv is about hard reads or something

How long can we possibly keep up this charade that people who enjoy this game are faking it?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm watching Winter Brawl X and seeing Cammy repeatedly getting her poo poo kicked in so a part of me is starting to feel like dropping her and just playing Nash or Bison. Like, Bison's everything is at advantage on block and that's just nuts.

I'm starting to loose faith in the Killer Bee. I wish she had an overhead and her old st.RH from previous games. Her new RH is really weird and I can only really seem to use it to get crush counters from whiffed DPs and sometimes jump ins but it's really risky to use an an anti-air. Her sweep also works as a crush counter but what good is that because you're not gonna be able to combo after it.

Cammy is really really good, you don't have to worry.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He also grabs you and explodes on you. So basically,

In Training posted:

Q is loving epic

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

E: while I'm at it

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 4, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

comparing SF5 to SFA3 and SF4, as a defense of SF5. flipping the script

Oh right, I forgot SF5 sucks, and so does 4 and 3 and alpha.

BTW I didn't realize this existed, but this site has hitbox data for 3s and it's pretty cool.

http://ensabahnur.free.fr/BastonNew/index.php

3s does the "vulnerable hitboxes stay extended after a move stops being active" thing a lot too:

frames 8-10:

frames 11-13:

E: btw

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 4, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Please don't tell people to stop posting about a game they decided they hated long before it was playable.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not convinced Ragequitter Hell ever actually existed in marvel 3. Capcom talked about it but there were never any posts online like "I keep getting matched up with the same ragequitters over and over!". Also there's no way of actually seeing if you're in ragequitter hell and there's no indication anywhere in-game of what your or anyone else's disconnect percent is. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a bluff.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fereydun posted:

the medal next to your name actually displays it- you get a skull medal if you ragequit enough

0_____0 hundreds of hours in that game and I never knew this

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

In addition to what I posted above, SF is a series that I have played on and off for a very long time, both casually and competitively, and I look forward to seeing how different aspects of the game develop. Sometimes, discussion on its development may involve insights into how bad the game is, because the last two decades of street fighter are dotted with terrible entries. For years now, discussion on the SF series has always had at least a partial focus on the depressing decline of the series. Even when it was the Capcom Japan developed games like SSF2, to Alpha and SFIII, a good deal of discussion was centered around how bad the games were. And now that the torch has been passed to the people behind the DBZ and Naruto fighting games, Dimps, with SF4 and SF5, the inevitable conclusion is that a healthy amount of discussion will surround how awful the series has become. This is tradition and I'm just keeping the fire burning.

Have you considered that instead of "every game since the one I liked is bad", the answer might be "people don't like it when the things they like change"?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

To be fair it wasn't playable at launch, so...

(I'm mostly joking here, though it was true at launch. I almost said 'still not playable' for effect)

That's a good point. But I'm counting stuff like when they had the demo at Evo, considering that's when I actually realized the game wasn't gonna be poo poo.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

InnercityGriot posted:

The funny thing about all this bitching is that it's pretty resigned to this forum. There's obviously some critics, but the reception to the actual game part has been mostly good, even SRK seems overall positive about it. This thread reads like the fighting game equivalent of No Mutants Allowed sometimes.

This is a somethingawful thing in general. Universally acclaimed, 96% on metacritic album To Pimp A Butterfly was declared unlistenable garbage by the fine goons on NMD.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Names removed to protect the innocent

quote:

lol Kendrick's collection of unmastered outtakes are better than his album

quote:

literally every single kendrick release that isn't tpab is better than tpab, even the random mixtapes from before he blew

quote:

if theres one thing about tbap is that it definitely needed more songs so it could loving slog on even more

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

See me at Evo

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

I've said hi to you at evo several times :(

lets play jopjos

Sorry, I'm esports now. Can't be caught fraternizing with the peasants.

But seriously I'm down.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

I thought he interned on it? Maybe I'm missing the joke.

I actually invented skullgirls and did all the code as well.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Do you ever worry that a skullgirls fan might murk you some day???

Haha, good one, as if there are any Skullgirls fans.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Doing a different kind of video today - I downloaded a Daigo replay and did kind of a play-by-play to break down what's going on. Pls let me know if you think it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcjRfo85agE

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fellblade posted:

So if Laura lands her elbow charge thing, what can I do to avoid eating a command grab than isn't churn out DP?

Jump

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't everyone complaining anti-airs were bad before? Now jumps are bad?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

both of these things are true because only insane people expect mashable jabs to be strong anti airs in sf

Worked pretty well in 3s

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

you mean the game that killed street fighter for nearly a decade

Right, this wasn't because of the death of arcades or the lack of a good console port or the removal of everyone's favorite characters from 2, nah it was the Jab anti airs

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Jab anti-airs were "good" in 3s for entirely different reasons and trying to imply it's because jumpins had terrible hitboxes or the jabs themselves had good anti-air hitboxes is disingenuous as hell. Makoto has the best standing jab anti-air and the hitbox is barely above the hurtbox in her hand, and way below her head. Jumpins also had hitboxes that extended outward or below their hurtboxes and there wasn't a giant horizontal hurtbox slapped onto the bottom third of every jump attack just for the gently caress of it.

Regardless of the reason, my point is that "jabs shouldn't work as an anti air" is a nonsense statement that doesn't take into account the entire context of the game.

What exactly is the problem created by jabs anti airing in this game? You wish jumpins were harder to deal with? You feel jabs are overpowered?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing to me that a month ago people were saying poo poo like this:

Pomp posted:

The dps also do piss damage when used as an antiair, half the anti-air normals are loving awful at their job, and the reward for doing either successfully is so low that there's almost no reason to not do random jump ins.

But all of a sudden the threat of a jab is so much that there's no reason to ever jump.

For a ton of characters, jab isn't even close to their best anti-air either.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Like do I really give a poo poo what Pomp says or said at one point, what the gently caress does that have to do with what I'm saying now and what is easily observable.

Maybe you can try to understand what I'm saying instead of arguing against points other people made or things you just made up on the spot.

What exactly have I made up?

I'm not sure it's worth arguing anymore since it's clear there's a large contingent in this thread who will happily glom onto any aspect of SF5 that's different from the previous games and insist that it's yet another piece of evidence the game is garbage, completely ignoring the context of V's mechanics.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

why are there still tourneys for it then, do they see it under the same ironic mindset they do hokuto no ken

SF3 followed literally the exact same arc as SF4 - called garbage by everyone for its entire life, but then when the next game comes out, looked back upon wistfully as The Good Old Days.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Buhbuhj posted:

Forgive my ignorance but are there any other fgs that have autocorrecting AA normals?

This game doesn't have that either.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

zooted heh posted:

How do you punish nashs spinning back knuckle attack? The few nashs I end up fighting in casual usually start the round with this attack but the way he steps out of it if he misses is hard to punish.

Some characters just can't. Practice it with different stuff in training mode. Usually it has to be a special like ken's tatsu or cammy spiral arrow

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

do you mean moonsault, sonic scythe or tragedy assault?

f+HP i think

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Which character eats poo poo from half the cast for throwing a fireball from full screen?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ybrik posted:

Could someone give me some advice when dealing with wakeup dps? I have some safe jump setups but I feel whenever I get a knockdown and I don't have time to set one up I feel like it's just a guess on my part.

Got a vid you might find helpful:

https://youtu.be/wFBBAA4wAKw

Safe jumps aren't as big of a thing in this game because of the quick getups

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

Chess didn't get good until turbo.
Can you believe people once played it without stopclocks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aKqAJopIus

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skypie posted:

And speaking of Shooting Peach, I was under the impression it had a hit of armor on the first swing but I've been jabbed out of it a few times so is it not armored low?

The armor doesn't start until the 3rd frame so if they hit you with a properly timed meaty you'll lose.

My general suggestion is abuse the crap out of s.HK until the opponent proves they can deal with it. s.MK is probably her best all-purpose poke, and her cr.lk is super spammable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

For some reason the bot doesn't lose it's win streak when people beat it, I think Mike Ross fought the same one

He's doing some really clever stuff with packet sniffing. Not only does the bot never lose its streak, but you also don't lose any points if you lose to the bot.