Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ugh I am finally starting to play ranked and its just about 1/3 matches are ragequits. Almost always pc users too I guess the urge to alt+f4 is too great :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

fnox posted:

I finally reach 1000lp.

I pity anybody who is below that and has to deal with thousands and thousands of ragequitters until at least March.

They are all there still past 3k points, all I wanted to do today was get gold rank to get that dumb achievement but that doesn't look like its going to happen.

*ed*

I wish i saved all the matches to make a shame video or something. I have had literally over 20 disconnects so far today, its very frustrating because today is the first day I have had to put time into ranked :(

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

well inbetween everyone constantly disconnecting on me, I done did up a birdie matchup chart. poo poo subject to change etc etc but I feel its accurate enough for the moment.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

What makes the Zangief matchup so advantageous?

Banana conquers Zangief in a way that would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

*ed*

That and Birdie just outright out-buttons him.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I'd love some tips / banana setups if you ever get the time.

Well as for "banana setups" there isn't really any that isn't gimmicky to all get out. You should just be tossing it out there to own that part of the screen.

Now soda, there is some workable setups. Even baby basics of toss it, do something crazy, and if they attempt to punish they get whacked on the return and you can do whatever.

*ed*

teagone posted:

I'm finally able to pull off Chun's instant air legs and combo from it, but I can only do it (semi-consistently) from the left side of the screen. My execution blows haha.

Don't worry affects us all. I can do it now with 100% accuracy on p1 side, maybe half the time on p2 :(

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 24, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Nodoze posted:

Birdie is a hard matchup for Cammy

Yeahhhh no. Cammy is effectively the only character that can circumvent his amazing anti air with all the awkward angles and delayed timing she can hit from, and once she's in(which is easy to do for her) its incredibly uphill for Birdie.

I mean if you wanna play footsies against him sure, Cammy would lose, but why do that when she can bypass it easily enough.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Yas posted:

Anyone have good Birdie resources/videos? My hit confirms have been lk > lp > lp bull head. Block stings are just things like LK > c.LP > mk. In general I just abuse his great normals (mk, hk, f+hp and hp) and I've been using his vskill as a combo extender after ex bull head. Meter goes towards super and ex bull revenger for fireballs. Does all that sound about right or am I playing this dude all wrong?

As for Combos the vid I made here is basically all you will need to know unless something amazing gets discovered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt7L2JfuSzA

But yeah you are doing good, just maybe watch it on the hp and f+hp, both can be punished if you are too close.

*ed*

Oh and use more slide, always use more slide its his best move.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

flatluigi posted:

It was less 'before the fiscal year ends' and more 'before Capcom Pro Tour starts' fwiw

Getting those numbers in for the end of fiscal is much more important than their videogame tournament.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

So what does Karin say during her super anyway my ears kinda suck. I can only make out behold! the final attack.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I play birdie. I poke her for a bit, she gets in, puts me in the corner and then, unless I'm all peppered up, I'm usually done for. Guess I've got ex bull horn to get out of pressure w/o pepper but ex charge plus tech is like four fingers and I'm bad.

couple things

1) Your buttons are better than hers just flat out, but don't go crazy. St.mk basically beats her whole arsenal but the happier you get with it, the easier it will be for her to land a jump.
2) watch out for the jump, cr.mp beats everything she has but once she's in its annoying to get her off.
3) I will assume the Karin is using cr.mp st.mp like everyone else. If you notice they go for anything after the st.mp, after blocking cr.mp you can do your f+HP armoured move and get a guaranteed crush counter if they touch anything after the st.mp.
4) ex bullhorn is a desperation move basically, don't rely on it as a crutch especially since its unreliable and it won't buffer reversal timing like most moves(you actually have to do it when you are standing up on frame 1 vs like mashing any other move for any other character).

Effectively, just be patient, poke, wait for the jump and then slap her out of the air. After every cr.mp you get a mixup of a) hit st.hk and if they hit buttons crush counter, b) meaty overhead st.lk lp headbutt, c) walk forward piledriver once they start blocking.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

strangemusic posted:

So many ragequitters.... it's a farce in Ranked.

This is the first time it has ever actually bugged me in a fighting game. I just want the loving cheev in getting gold, but I will never get there when the majority of the people pull the plug on me when I win, and I lose like 100 points for every loss arrghhh :argh:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Huh, just figured out you can actually choose the side you want to land on after vegas throw from ex walldive. Right before the throw, just hold the opposite direction of the one you want to be on and boom. Might be old but news to me.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Klades posted:

Option selects are just a result of the way the game works. If you press buttons while your character is busy doing something else, nothing happens.

The only way they could completely get rid of option selects is to have some grossly huge input buffer for everything you press and that would probably be bad and not go over well.

This is true, but capcom can selectively slice them out. Basically every tricky OS found in the betas was removed from the game. I would be surprised if further ones found are not removed in the future as well.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Faffel posted:

This is probable, but it would be really unfortunate if they started actively clamping down on new tech before letting it run a long course.

Their mission statement so far has been less option selects, more situations where you the human have to make a real choice. I am all in favour of everything like that which is found to be cut out.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Lemon Curdistan posted:

For the record, this is how I hold it:

Yeah that is exactly how I hold a stick as well. Practice is all you need my friend its all in the wrist.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

what did I say :(

For dashing I use my wrist I don't move my fingers.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

fnox posted:

You can apparently beat V-Reversal with a throw with a lot of characters, I saw Daigo do it with Ryu against Bison.

Yep, the v-reversals are strike immune, but they are not throw immune.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm so frustrated and angry at myself now. I'm trying to implement the stuff that I've learned, but I'm getting literally nowhere in Ranked at all. Like it feels as if learning that stuff has made me worse at the game even though I know that's shouldn't be true. I want to think it's Laura that's the problem, but that's a goddamn moron's way of doing it and I'm not sure what I can do to /actually/ get better.

You are basically at the point where you know what needs to be done, but its not second nature to implement it yet. This is going to be the hard part where you grind it out but it will pay off in the end. Don't get necessarily concerned with ranked and maybe try casual matches for a bit as well.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Made a vid re: Instant air legs & the mk SBK combo, hopefully helps someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oYAvSZ4254

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

to make things further confusing i find this combo to not be that useful in real world situations as in a huge punish, like off a jump in you would want to go for the c.rh x legs, jab x lk bird(or ex legs) combo for max damage. And when getting a clean activation combo you dont needany special tricks to do c.jab c.mk x mk bird. So the only time you will get this combo is off a cross up or dash under vs anyone decent

It's her best hit-confirm combo and any situation you can toss out the cr.jab is when it can be used, more than just a cross up or dash under. It sucks that its so hard for the majority of people but don't discount its effectiveness, its incredibly useful.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Goodpart posted:

It's a flagship game with lots of competition so even people that hate the game are playing the game with the intention of wanting to get good at it.

Take me, for instance.

Putting a lot of your personal time into something you don't like is pretty insane.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 28, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Input leniency wants to read me walking forward with Vega then ex roll to react to fireball as ex walldive every time :argh:

Although outside of that situation, man ex roll has some reach that is not visually apparent. The first hit can connect way before Vega is physically there.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

When you're walking forward, you need to do a HCF in order to not get the DP motion to come out.

Oh I know its the same trick from sf4, only issue is if you are too fast it still reads as dp.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

If you have the meter, Vega's super is also fireball invulnerable, and not likely to get a false dp input.

Yep very true. Way I play Vega though every single hit confirm leads to ex walldive/izuna so I rarely have bar for super.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

My hit confirms almost always go to meterless stuff. If I can dominate in footsies ( a big if, but at least Vega has the tools for that) I find that I can afford to store meter.

Well my philosophy there is hes quite a low damage character (unless you get the optimal big punishes which is higher than most), so take your damage when you have it. Even just a babby hit confirm cr.lk, cr.lp ex dive is almost 200 damage, vs barely over 100 if you just go lk roll.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

people actually let you hit them standing?

Nobody is immune to being caught standing.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

JackDarko posted:

Evil Canadian you do know you're my favorite Canadian right? That being made mind sharing some Vega hit confirms and possibly some advice regarding how to hit ex walldive? I'm struggling entering the DP after a neutral. Trying real hard to learn Vega this time around.

Well one of the big things that helps and yeah you shouldn't do(but actually do it) is I hold down-forward during hit confirm combos, then just ride the gate downback-downforward into ex walldive. It's a bad habit but whatever I have done my time the proper way and it works just fine and its much quicker.

As for combos, I did a Vega BnB vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsfxCTu3Yo0

Although I regret not putting in there just (claw)st.mp, cr.mp. Unless you are one of the crazies that prefers no claw Vega in neutral, it is the combo you will land more than any other.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Gief was never strong on the combos, but yeah way less so in this one. Only other big combo is cr.lk/lp whatever into trigger.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I've seen people mention they can option select the ender of chun's bnb by putting a forward in the middle of the the sbk or using a tk motion. So you get the sbk if you have enough charge and legs if you don't. Does anyone here do that? What do the inputs look like in training?

It works but I don't use it. Just practice enough and you can reliably use legs. Motion is the traditional TK 2369 but eh.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

teagone posted:

I wish I was competent enough to pull this off, lmao.

If I can do it anyone can, my execution has always been my worst trait.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

fozzy fosbourne posted:

e: i just went from being able to end the bnb with the lk sbk about 1/20 tries to doing 5 mk sbk enders in a row :staredog:

Told ya, once you get it, it remains got.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

More of yall should get on that discord thing, it is fun to play and match with goons :)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Where can I get details of this discord thing I would like to play and match with goons :)

Link is in the names thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765001 :)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Can Dhalsim just wake up teleport backwards? Is that really a thing? Is the only way to beat it to grab it on the first frame that it comes out, or hope you have something fast and far reaching that punishes it?

He is throwable on the first few frames. In fact anyone with a command grab can just do a meaty command grab on his wakeup and since his jump and backdash are so poo poo he basically can't do anything about punishing it if he gets out.

*ed*

^^ Ryu is really solid in this game, and is only going to get better over time once people get really used to using the parry.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Goodpart posted:

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would play a casual match when ranked exists.

Hey I wanna try a new character but I don't wanna lose points while I inevitably lose taking my learning lumps.

Its not hard to figure out.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ghosthotel posted:

hello friends

someone has probably already posted something, but anyone playing birdie mind sharing some tips?

I literally started playing him like 3 hours ago but my win rate online shot through the roof of just playing the footsie game and blowing up whiffs with ex bull rush, or bull horn but I don't really know what his gameplan is supposed to look like, and SRK apparently doesn't like the donut man because theirs like 5 threads maybe

His gameplan is play footsies and lay down can/banana when they let you for pressure. Theres a bunch of little setups and tricks(and gimmicks that you shouldn't do because itll hurt your game long run) but that is the essence of Birdie right there.

I'll give one hot tip right now anyway, pay real close attention to how often someone quick rises. If it is more often than not after any throw(normal, command, or hop throw) feel free to toss out the ex leap grab, its near unreactable and you cannot backroll after a throw only tech straight up, so they wake up right into it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Pomp posted:

25 frames of flashing lights in the air is unreactable?

Its 23 frames and yes it gets a lot harder to react to when you are just preoccupied with teching up.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ghosthotel posted:

That bottom tip helped me get away with some fraudulence. My biggest concern with birdie is that im not sure if i have a solid blockstring once i get in. Like if im on top of someone what buttons should I be pressing to stay on top of them? So far I've found st.mp works a whole lot but im just looking for a second opinion

Birdie should never be concerned about getting in, that isn't his gameplan. Stay at the range of st.mp at the closest if you can help it. If you are in just do the simple st.lk st.lp hit confirm into headbutt and nail it if you got it.

*ed*

To be more succinct, he lives and dies at mid-range. Trying to go in on someone just makes their job all the much easier for them.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 7, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

For fucks sake, even with the capcops putting everyone on notice I still can't loving get past every third match being a rage quitter in ranked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So I've mostly got the TK instant air legs down, I do 236963 double-tap mk and the key for me was figuring out the button press needs to be after you've hit the minimum height -- it doesn't really matter so much which direction you are pressing as it does that you are above the minimum height.

However, watching replays, it seems like the pros do neutral jump legs a lot for in your face pressure. :bang:. Has anyone figured out how to TK that, if it's possible? Someone tweeted that you can do neutral legs with 236863 but I feel like you need a hitbox to go from 6 to 8 like that, but maybe I just need to git gud. Or do you just do 8346, really quickly? I've tried that a bit and the fastest I can do it only gives me 1-2 hits, while I can consistently get 3 from the UF TK motion. But maybe if I keep practicing.

E: unghhh I want to do that combo at 1:06 http://youtu.be/MCwU-cdaftQ

Not sure why you are double tapping the mk, its gonna take whatever the first input is its not quite like doing a combo where you can be too early on the button press.

As for neutral legs, only real motion that works is either 8741236 or if you got pure speed 8236, although neutral legs isn't necessarily ideal because you want the forward motion to make sure you can get the bnb. That combo at 1:06 is something you would do if you are too far away as it does less damage than the normal BnB.