Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Quick aside from shop:

How is the netcode and all that stuff on the PC version? I keep buying fighting games on Steam and getting burned by the online experience. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but I have too much of this human disease called "hope"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Srice posted:

It works fine as long as you set a filter to only get matched with opponents with good ping, and crossplay with ps4 players has no problems outside of the ps4 version having slightly longer load times so unlike other pc fighting games you don't have to worry about it becoming a wasteland.

Hm... maybe for now I'll back-burner it until they add Arcade Mode in March, so I have something to fall back on.

I'll probably just keep watching the twitch tournaments because :esports:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Saint Freak posted:

The Man from F.A.N.G. is dumb-looking and my hot tip would be to switch to a beautiful character like Karin or Zangief or Birdie

I'm probably gonna take a stab at maining Karin when I pick this up. I tend to fall back way too hard on shotoclones in fighting games, except in Mortal Kombat where I kinda waffle between Kitana and Johnny Cage (you could probably argue that Kitana is a shotoclone with that rising fan uppercut). I wanna try somebody with more of a Rushdown style, as opposed to my usual standby of "rely too much on anti-air and try not to die :v:"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I was peripherally attached to the melee scene in college by way of the video games club, Electronic Gaming Society. They had a couple of couches in the back of the room, and a big TV that we played melee on. Every once in a while, somebody would be showcasing some new GCN game that they imported or whatever, because it was the club's only GCN, and it would just be a bunch of glowering nerds watching some guys play Naruto.

I was detached enough to be able to wander across the room to play Soul Caliber or whatever every once in a while, for which I am: thankful.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChocNitty posted:

What's rollback netcode?

It's a method for reconciling differences between what the client thinks is going on and what the server thinks is going on. Basically it will rewind the game state up to 4 frames in the event of a mismatch and "re-sync" both players, resulting in what is perceived as a lag spike.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Anybody else watching Winter Brawl? The brackets are supposed to start any minute now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I have a 3 game win streak in ranked, which is: surprising :haw:

I was having a hard time earlier today, but after warming up a bunch in Survival I'm doing pretty okay.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Cool, I can't get any matchmaking this morning. Sat in "waiting for opponent" for like 15 minutes and gave up :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yeah, I tell mine to filter on quality 4-5, and my mileage varies a lot. Sometimes I get a match within a minute, sometimes I just never get a match and give up.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bisse posted:

For being a multiplayer game the multiplayer features sure suck rear end, it takes me between 1 to 10 minutes to find a ranked game, and battle lobbies would be great if I could EVER successfully join any of them.

Same. The 1 minute I don't mind. The 10 minutes sucks a lot, though. It wouldn't be so bad if I had some kind of arcade mode to distract me. I don't play survival mode while I'm searching for matches because survival mode is serious business and I don't wanna be interrupted, haha.

Also, battle lounges can only hold 2 people at the moment. Improved lounges are coming in March Sometimetm. I'm holding out hope for a King of the Hill mode with spectators. That poo poo used to be my jam in Mortal Kombat.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fruitsnacks posted:

You can search for matches while doing training mode. Pause the game while in training mode and at the bottom of the menu is an option called Network Match Fight Request Settings, which is identical to the one on the main menu screen.

Yeah, I know about that. That's like... not fun, though? If I turn up the AI difficulty on the training dummy, it's a decent warm-up, but I'd rather be doing actual discrete fights than like infinite combo practice. I don't really want the matchmaking service to just be rescuing me from a Sisyphean Chun-Li who never dies :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You can set health to normal for you and the dummy, and then it'll play out like an actual round until one of you dies.

Huh, I stand corrected. Okay, I think I'll start doing that, actually. I only ever messed with the basic CPU behavior options, haha.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

InnercityGriot posted:

Her hair is the best thing about her wtf

I'm the delivery of "BOOM!" that sounds like your aunt trying to tell you about a meme she likes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cat Machine posted:

The league system in SFV is actually pretty good, I think. It's never gonna be perfect (especially in its infancy when there are still killers who just haven't put in the ranked time yet) but I feel like 90% of my ranked opponents are within fair margins of more/same/less skilled.

Yeah. I'm like dumpster tier so it's hard to judge, but I'd say the ranked matches I get into are mostly an "even" match. I still lose the match, mind you, but I often win one round or lose with their health such that I would have won with a confirmed combo.

My 5-game winning streak this past weekend was a major fluke. I wish I could run into some more of those kinda chumpy players, haha. I think for most people I am the kind of chumpy player :ohdear:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I thought the PS4 had native streaming? :confused:

Does it not work with Street Fighter? Or is he just trying to run it through the PC so he can get a scarecam and layout?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hell, same.

Or

Please somebody show up at WNF with one of these :pray:

Suit and tie, leather briefcase with stick and buttons on one side. Become an internet legend.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Man if there was a legit guide on how to make a hitbox from parts that I could find easily I might actually do it.

Anyway, my Laura's getting better slowly. What's irritating is having to wean myself off using the command throw after LP elbow and using a normal back throw instead since I realised how much better back throw is. But as I've been doing this I've been wondering if I should switch to Bison. Notably all of this is premised on the idea that I'm just playing a character to teach me things until Balrog comes out. (Oh, and that I hate DPMs)

I'm still feeling out how to play Karin properly. I know a few combos, but I'm kinda bad at judging when to actually use them. I lean really hard on the various iterations of MK, and I'm trying to get better at reliably executing instant tenko after a confirm. I finally won another ranked match last night :toot:

Filtering my matchmaking on quality 4-5 is a real double-edged sword. It basically means there's a pool of like 5 people that it matches me with. I had semi-even fights with the same guy playing F.A.N.G. about 4 times last night, and got absolutely bodied by the same Cammy twice.

Karin vs. F.A.N.G. is a weird as hell matchup, too. He has crazy sweep range, so my usual bullshit footsies don't work very well. He likes to do the thing where he walks in behind his poison ball, so my options for getting inside were pretty much: risky ressenha from close range to try and catch him off guard, EX Command Dash into Tenko into Kyakku to get under the poison ball, or try to risk a jump-in MK crossup. In retrospect, I could have probably also used Meioken to just eat the poison ball and maybe hit him?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

hiddenriverninja posted:

I caved and bought the season pass because grinding at work is still grinding (and is actually much easier)

This is an astoundingly dangerous idea that's gonna fester in my mind for the rest of my life :v:

Thanks for helping me justify video games purchases.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

i forgot there was casual matches and battle lounge and got confused. i also cannot understand why someone would do casual matches then

I switch them on along with ranked when I'm waiting for rando matches just so I can spend more time playing Street Fighter and less time practicing my hit-confirms.

I'm slowly improving! I won a few matches on Sunday, then proceeded to lose a bunch of other matches and go back down to 0 LP :haw: Hobojim pointed out some of my bad habits to me in our lobby the other day, so I've been trying to get better at punishing people and not giving up so much of the screen. So yeah, Sunday was pretty good for me- I had a really satisfying fight against some Ken, where I blocked his CA and immediately countered with my own CA for a knockout. It was a fun session. Maybe I'll be able to rank bronze by the end of the month.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jmcrofts posted:

He's doing some really clever stuff with packet sniffing. Not only does the bot never lose its streak, but you also don't lose any points if you lose to the bot.

Speaking of packets. Does anybody know what causes that thing where I can't see how many LP I or my opponent has before a ranked match? Is that my NAT still freaking out, or is it on Capcom's end?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Help Im Alive posted:

Do these people realise the costumes will be available for $4 later this month

Yoooo. I forgot that was happening. I should probably play those other 15 story modes so I have enough fight money. Have they said anything about other costumes, or is it just gonna be the story mode alt costumes for now? Some of those are pretty great, but man I really don't give a poo poo about Karin's little black dress. Which sucks, because she's my main.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Revelant posted:

Anyone elses main screen LP stuck , mine displays 1000 lp below my actual rating I have in match.
I assume the patch will fix this with all the stats but its a long shot.

Mine was showing "--" for me and everybody else for most of yesterday evening. A quality capcom product

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Capcom release a Karin alt without banana colored entenmann frosted donut hair, tia!

Everybody needs certified PimpWeartm like Sagat got in SF4. Karin's should be that black dress, but also she's wearing a mink coat and has her hair in some elaborate updo.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dangerdoom volvo posted:

the best thing in persona was how you could build together titles like lego and youd get epic poo poo like pussy destroyer and little sister fucker or you know something like that

It's not like the concept is foreign to Capcom- Monster Hunter has this for your Guild Card in multiplayer. I was "Year-round Charge Blade" or something.

"Prohibited Maid"
"Japanese-Style Hedgehog"

Let me make a tag with Karin's face and the text Grandpa Impersonator, dammit.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Renoistic posted:

It feels like I'm fighting nothing but Kens. Kens everywhere.

I feel like the Kens come in waves. I have days where I fight like 6-8 kens in a row before a Mika shows up and I'm like, "wow that's like a unicorn". I almost never see other Karins, except in Casual mataches, which I'm not sure if I should take as an omen or not :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm never gonna get over how dumb Necali is :allears:

"Devour...our...our..."

No take-backs, Capcom. I'll be real disappointed if you patch that in to be an actual reverb effect.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Her basic thing (cancelling into Just frame Tenko) is harder than the hardest thing many characters have. You have to adjust her juggles based on spacing (JF Tenko vs Shoulder) and her optimal midscreen 1 and 2 bar combos are hard. Her confirm from lights (cr.lp cr.lp xx JF tenko) is one of the hardest in the game. Lots of her crush counter/vtrigger optimal confirms have *microwalks*. Also things like consistently setting up trades by delaying cancels into shoulder, and then confirming and comboing off the trade.

Most of that stuff I would consider essential for playing Karin at an intermediate/high level and doesn't even include more obscure/situational hard stuff like buffering st.lk into EX shoulder.

That said you can play a basic effective Karin without any of it because her buttons and frametraps are strong. Anybody with good footsies will do well with her but the advanced poo poo is what will separate good and great Karins. Also this is SF5 so the "hard stuff" is pretty easy, it's just relatively hard.

To expand on learning Karin:
I got the hang of instant Tenko after a few minutes with the practice dummy. The thing I have trouble with is that her basic hit-confirm string is crMP->stMP, which doesn't give her a lot of range to work with. You basically have to do it as a wiff punish. That can be hard for newer players; I still battle my instinct to punish with a sweep or standing MK to keep my distance.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bhsman posted:

Oh wow, Kung Jin is gay?

They're pretty subtle about it, except for Liu Kang being a dick to him for some reason. "I am aware of your proclivities *scoff*"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Gammatron 64 posted:

I hate Rashid. I have no idea what to do against him

Also I was playing a friend's gief and we discovered that if gief tries a jump in and I try to AA him with a cannon spike... he grab me right out of it with his air SPD. We were both kind of amazed and I was like "yeah lol you know what, I'm just gonna put the stick down and walk away now"

This, but with me playing a scrubbo Karin against Nash. He's got a surprising amount of mobility and I have a hard time getting in close without being subjected to his strong aerial game.

I have a decent track record against Rashids so far because a lot of them seem to love that horizontal flying kick move from across the screen, which is incredibly punishable.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Tell me if this is crazy talk:

As Karin, my go-to punishes currently are either a kick or my crMP->stMP confirm combo, depending on distance. Should I be trying to mix in stHP->Kyakku(HK version) for punishes on things with a longer recovery?
Or other stHP strings like stHP->V-Trigger->stHP->qcf P->etc?

Or is stHP still too slow to use like that?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ventana posted:

What is this from?

Pokken, probably. It came out this week.

e: Thanks for Karin tips. I'll try to work some of that into my repertoire.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

apple posted:

I hope SFV Remix adds boooOOOOooom to at least half her moves

Saint Freak posted:

And Ding Ding! to the other half.

I hope they mix them into her Critical Art. *arm lock* booooOOOOooom! *... *flies toward camera with headlock* Ding! Ding!

I also want a dedicated button to make Mika go "RAAAAAINBOOOOOOW"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

This is also acceptable. Give us a goofy yelling button, Capcom!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Eh, I'm sure we'll see a patch for it. It kinda seems like they are replacing the Super/Ultra new versions thing that they did with Street Fighter IV with the Fight Money Store and patches. I hope the game-as-platform thing pans out for them. If nothing else, I really love watching this franchise on the pro esports tier, so obviously I'd like that to continue.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fruitsnacks posted:

Picking the right punish starter is important but If you're trying to maximize your damage you need to learn her optimal combo routes. Here are the highest damage combos, organized by meter usage and screen position.

*notes:
- Normal (non-EX) Tenko is always the just frame version
- Orochi = shoulder. When comboing into Orochi, always input it with d, df, f, d + K~P (or 2 kicks if EX Orochi).

0 meter, midscreen
Tenko, Orochi <- somewhat tight timing
Tenko, Tenko <- easier than comboing into Orochi but less damage + stun
Tenko, QCB+LK <- least damage + stun, but sets up good pressure after

0 meter, corner
Tenko, Tenko
Tenko, QCB+LK

1 meter, midscreen
Tenko, QCB+LK, EX Tenko <-input the EX command dash immediately but slightly delay the P follow-up

1 meter, corner
Tenko, Tenko, EX DP

2 meters, midscreen
:siren: Tenko, QCB+LK, EX Tenko, EX Orochi :siren: <- highest damage without super, highest stun (349 damage, 530 stun if starting from cr.MP s.MP), strict timing
Tenko, EX Tenko, forward dash EX DP <- 3 less damage & 35 less stun than previous combo but much easier

- For the first combo the EX Tenko command dash must be done immediately but the P follow-up is delayed
- For the second combo the entire EX Tenko (command dash + follow-up) is done as fast as possible

2 meters, corner
Tenko, QCB+LK, EX Tenko, EX DP

3 meters, midscreen
Tenko, Orochi xx super <- this is a cancel, not a link
Tenko, super

3 meters, corner
Tenko, Tenko, super
Tenko, QCB+LK, super <- only a few points less damage than previous combo

Looks like a lot to learn but it's really just 1 combo per situation (meter + screen position). Many of them are just variations of each other, too. Like the 3-meter combos are the 0-meter combos but with a super at the end. If the optimal combo is too hard you can use the easier version instead.

The 0-meter ones are what you're going to be using most of the time so learn those first. The big 2-meter combo is difficult but the damage and stun are huge. It will probably be the last combo that you add to your repertoire so don't worry too much if you can't do it right away. There are also some 3-meter combos that use 3 EX specials rather than super. They do less damage than super but significantly more stun and they're also pretty hard. I think you should focus on the combos above for now.

Yeah, I've been using those 0-meter tenko + whatever combos a lot. I get clumsy with the execution on orochi, I need to work on that more. I hadn't actually thought of juggling somebody into the EX DP using tenko, so I'm definitely gonna work on that. Tenko, Tenko, Super looks good, too. I usually end up doing like qcb+LK canceled into super unless I can get somebody in the V-trigger qcf+p blender.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

In Training posted:

I suppose if I was better at tenko combos those get solid distance too...ill get there.

This is where I'm at. I'm pretty good at getting that confirm into instant tenko, but about 25% of the time I choke, because I'm surprised my combo didn't get blocked, and forget to follow up with a second tenko or mujin or Super.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
edit: ^^^Monster Hunter is probably the thing keeping them afloat. That franchise prints nerd dollars at an astonishing rate, and also deserves to be doing that.

Can somebody explain Karin's "Perfect Hubby" title to me? Because I did a little :staredog: when I unlocked it the other week and promptly forgot it existed until just now. Unless I missed a beat in her backstory, I kind of don't understand the context of that title.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Agoat posted:

My favorite thing about R Mika is that in her intro she doesn't say some bullshit about the heart of battle or whatever, she just throws it out there that she's gonna kick your rear end.

I like the characters that have specific smug comments about other characters during their victory messages. Karin and Ken are real low-key douchey to each other, it's great.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I think the worst is SFV's YOU WIN/YOU LOSE font. It looks like ms-paint with rainbow gradient fill. Really really bad.

I think it's kinda charming :shobon:

What I hate is that voice that counts the number of wins in Vs. Mode. It doesn't really pertain to anything and just kind of sticks out in a really unsatisfactory fashion during tournaments, like "Yes, computer. The player-2 slot has won 13 times. It was a different person every other time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Help Im Alive posted:

They should do the Persona 4 Arena/BlazBlue thing where you can get the characters to do the announcer voice overs

BoOOom!

I kind of want a Zangief announcer now, so he can bark out like poetic muscle philosophies every 30 seconds.