Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

don't really see the issue here, SFV having 7k players means that's 6.5k players I have to filter through who are incredibly bad because they're new to the game to find the players that are actually fun to play against.

unless you're actively teaching them by kicking their rear end like something out of a kung fu movie i dunno how anyone can have fun rolling a train on someone that's completely helpless against them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Flinger posted:

Darn those new players playing a game that has been out for a week

I don't mind new players (although I don't think it's really fair to imply that this game has only been out for a week when on a basic level it plays like every other SF game and it's had multiple betas)

I do mind having to beat up a bunch of people (potentially discouraging them from ever getting good at the game) to find someone that's actually on my level

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

*combat rolls into thread, pulls pin out of grenade with teeth and drops it, combat rolls out of thread*

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/701853092753453056

pls dont act like guilty gear and blazblue are the same game, ty

e: actually watching this vid wtf is he saying? the only thing I got from it was "in guilty gear people use this button to poke/as up close pressure, except for the characters that don't, SFV works the same way"

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 22, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dias posted:

But also how is a "nerfed" sweep more GG/BB?

maybe he means that sweeps in GG dont usually give you the time to set up an ambiguous crossup like they did in SF4, and you also can't do this in SFV because they don't hard knockdown anymore

of course that doesn't really make sense because:

- you can combo into sweep from everything besides max range pokes in GG, and that's basically the go to BNB for low level play so it's not really comparable to SF sweep that is almost always a neutral/punish move unless you do the shoto classic of jump in -> sweep

- you can cancel GG sweeps into specials so instead of jumping over them ambgiously you just do some other setup off a special move, while in SFV you just sort of sweep them and move a bit closer as they stand up from the soft knockdown

it could also just mean that "sweeps don't have super long range anymore (because nothing does)" which is the case in GG where your sweep is a bit shorter than your actual pokes. but that also doesn't really make sense because sweep is still your longest reaching normal for most characters in SFV

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

on the other hand he made this video so maybe he's ok after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hkpQoypf-o

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Pomp posted:

it's hard to gently caress those up when they're like the most basic rundowns of characters and concepts

ol' tilty mcburstslam pomp could tell you anything in those videos

imo it's cool to have a consalidate resource for how to play character instead of trawling through pages and pages of dustloop fourm posts

idk why the wiki for +R is so undeveloped for most characters, there are wiki's for poverty as gently caress fightcade games with 200% the effort

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Foodahn posted:

https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/701947647398023168

SFV server maintenance extended "indefinitely"

everyone buy xrd

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

am I the only one who routinely forgets this character is even in this game

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Faffel posted:

They're going to have to bring in someone from SF4. Maybe Akuma will make it in and he becomes Oni during vtrigger. Let's do that.

why would anyone use a vtrigger that makes you a way worse character

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

lay it on me yall

street fighter V: yes, or no?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Pomp posted:

if we didn't play games we thought were bad nobody would play marvel

marvel is good, actually

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Cool a super obvious/useless thing that people will parade around as Sick Tech for a week and nobody will actually do it ever because its bad.

there's no need to be rude, the entire point of SF5 is to be Esports and one of the fundamental ways that one becomes Esports is by making a name for yourself by posting videos on youtube that get hella views

it's not the players fault there's nothing actually useful to discover and make a tutorial video for, people are doing the best they can

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yeah well marvel 3 is travesty so it kinda follows

by the standards of every vs game that isn't marvel 2 or cvs2 marvel 3 is really really good

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Right - I've come to the conclusion that stick play is no longer possible for me, so I'm gonna have to become a pad player.

What's the single best loving pad I can buy, because I'm salty about it, so I might as well have a good one.

ps2 pad once you've broken in the dpad. ps3 is about equivalent if you don't care about the triggers being throttles instead of buttons.

if you're gonna get a fancy hori pad with the six button layout you may as well save your money and just buy a sega saturn controller + converter, the dpad is equally garbage on both

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

what does urien even have outside of aegis that doesn't involve his tackle juggles or his dope voice acting (things he wont have in SF5)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think Ono has come out and said Sakura will never not be a schoolgirl. And she may not be in the game, as due the timeline she'll be grown up.

lol if they finally brought back karin but then don't put sakura in the game as if that teamup isn't half the reason anyone ever cared about her

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

General Morden posted:

put in skullomania!!!!

says everybody despite nobody ever playing sf ex series

arguments like this don't matter when characters like birdie and mika have been heavily redesigned

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

are those a3 hitboxes? I coulda sworn giefs body splash was way more insane in that game

or are anti airs just all garbage so the effect is the same

e: wait, is the blue box the collision box and not the hitbox?

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 4, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Oh right, I forgot SF5 sucks, and so does 4 and 3 and alpha.

pretty much, cvs2 4 lyfe

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Wasn't everyone complaining anti-airs were bad before? Now jumps are bad?

both of these things are true because only insane people expect mashable jabs to be strong anti airs in sf

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Worked pretty well in 3s

you mean the game that killed street fighter for nearly a decade

beyond that though what reason did anyone have to expect that this game would be sf3: we removed all the good parts edition instead of another game like sf4

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

By the time 3S came out, arcades were all but dead in the mainstream eye. At least that's how I remember it.

I never really understood this excuse for why sf3 didn't take off because sure arcades were toast in america but like, they weren't in asia right? What was stopping capcom from just thinking americans don't like street fighter anymore and releasing capcom fighting jam or w/e as japan only

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Zand posted:

sf3 died in asia because that game loving sucks. it didnt get popular until the series was over and dead for years.

why are there still tourneys for it then, do they see it under the same ironic mindset they do hokuto no ken

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

btw when do we get to the point of this thread where people start making unfavorable comparisons with strekken 2013

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

you know there are games besides street fighter right

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Shockeh posted:

"Online Rematch Option - Salty from a close loss online? Want revenge? Players can now play a 2/3 set in Ranked Match, provided both players accept the rematch."

In what universe do Capcom think the SFV Online community, a collection of hollow shells that look like human beings who will reset their console if they lose precious League Points, will accept a rematch after winning the first one?

why would you want to rematch someone like this in the first place

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

isn't urien a blonde too before he powers up

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

this game is doing badly because there's no reason for anyone to play it besides people who are really big fans of the returning characters or people who make their living playing fighting games

the only excuse anyone can come up with is "it has the most players" as if the majority of the people playing this game aren't ragequitters, online gimmick masters and other Undesirables that you don't actually wanna play against outside of free points, and as if it's still 2006 and the scene for every game consists of five people

it is on all fronts A Fighting Game, but it doesn't excel at anything besides having the most advertising money and a couple characters people want back because they like their design. "It's Fun" because on a base wavelength all fighting games are the same, but what does this game have that you can't get in so many other games, both big name releases lesser ones

sf4 could get away with a lot of the same crap this game tried to get away with because it was The Only Fighting Game, but now depending on what you want in a fighting game you have so many options that have online that actually loving works properly without needing multiple beta tests

the hosed up part is that this game isn't actually lovely, it's much worse and just Fine. capcom only releases "we're sorry please love us again" sequels/updates to games that are poo poo like strekken, this game is Fine so it's just gonna keep on doing what it's doing and making as many dlc dollars as possible

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 11, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What would a fighting game's version of BGH look like? Also, they should take a page from Nintendo and just include all their marquis characters in every flagship game now. Finally, they should have crates with hats in them for playing multiplayer and monetize it. This would be especially effective in SFV because you could un blonde the banana stricken characters

There, I just saved fighting games :smug:

the equivalent of the huge armies slamming into eachother with no thought that bgh maps let people make is messing around with easy to use and/or flashy looking moves and playing in a bonus mode where the rules are relaxed/changed

games like mortal kombat, guilty gear and marvel 3 all have flashy as heck moves and a (at least initially) low input barrier to throw out effective moves. SF5 gief's super looks like a goddamn normal throw with some camera angles

these games also have modes like test your luck, M.O.M and heroes and heralds which add all sorts of wacky modifiers to matches that make them less about technical skill and more about Strategy, in the sense that johnny Q casual feels really smart & accomplished for picking the right loadout or literally winning with his characters arms tied behind their back by doing jump kicks the entire game

meanwhile SF5 has nothing, and it's only planned big mode is story mode which is unconfirmed if it even has gameplay or if it's just a movie

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Bisse posted:

I don't know if you were there in 2007 when the latest noteworthy fighting games to have come out were Melty Blood from '05 and mother loving Capcom Fighting Jam? I was, and it sucked. I remember digging up Breakers Revenge and playing in GGPO because there was just nothing new happening for several years. It was stagnation.

Then SF4 happened and all of a sudden the entire god drat genre is on fire and my friend who never even touched a fighting game is telling me how awesome it was to see Poongko's Seth in EVO. Suddenly game devs realised people will actually buy and play fighting games if they don't suck and if they have acceptable net code. Today you have millions of people playing punchman games online and watching EVO live compared to just a few years before when there were maybe a few hundreds online simultaneously playing aging games on GGPO and Kailerra

I have never understood these arguments.

I have a ton to say about it but instead of dropping an essay at you i'm just gonna throw out some bullet points.

- Every other genre and type of competitive game doesn't find the need to arbitrarily update itself every few years. You didn't see quake 3 players or starcraft players demanding that more games be released, they just played their game some more before leaving it for a sequel because that's where the money went due to whatever company wanting to promote their new thing.

- SF4 coming out actually made fighting games LESS varied because you went from a bare minimum of 4 games with online scenes (capcom game on ggpo, snk game on ggpo, guilty gear, melty blood) to one game with an online scene

- online on consoles was a loving mess back in 2008 because the internet wasn't great even before most people using crappy cheap wifi connections and capcoms inability to program severs that run well that lasts to this day. the PC stuff that was out before SF4 was a lot better but playing SF4 online was a completely different and much more stupid game.

- On that note, SF4 having way more players doesn't matter at all if you care about actually improving at fighting games. It's much better to play a smaller number of people and actually talk/improve off one another than it is to play an endless legion of ken/seth players that found a gimmick that works well online and do nothing else. If you don't care about improving at fighting games why are you even buying SF4? "fighting games were dead" yet they were still releasing soul calibur and anime brawlers every couple years

- This doesn't even mention all the games that didn't have online but had scenes for them, like CVS2, marvel 2, 3D games like tekken and VF or guilty gear

- Fighting games being dead before SF4 made tons of money off advertising hype and nostalgia is a giant lie. Blazblue came out like two months after SF4 did, that was a game that was happening regardless of SF4. Same with TVC. Tekken was going strong through "the dark ages" or whatever the gently caress. SNK released one of their best games (samsho 5 special) in like 2005 and the 2002/98 UM games are quite good. Guilty gear was going strong until the year before SF4's release and only stopped for a while because of rights issues. We would've got all the HD-With-Online versions of old capcom games eventually if with less production values because there's no way capcom can avoid re-releasing something forever. The only games that we got because of SF4 were some mortal kombat games that haven't been completely unplayable poo poo like they were previously.

If you are someone that didn't have a controller that connected to a PC, had crippling social phobias that made talking to people online to request games impossible, don't like the literally dozen+ games that were available to you at the time and lived in the goddamn arctic so there was no local scene at all then SF4 was a godsend. for everyone else that takes it as some revelation from heaven it was just a game you bought because it was advertised a bunch and either didn't bother or didn't care to see if there's anything else going on in fighting games.

Like there's nothing inherently awful about SF4 (besides maybe mashing down-forward and punch being a DP because of the input buffer), but the biggest reason for it's longevity or cultural impact or whatever other vague term is because it was advertised a bunch by capcom and streaming was just starting to kick off around that time so it was the The Big Advertised Fighting Game at the first online viewable fighting game tournaments

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 17, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

is there a UMPS (Unfunny Memes Per Second) chart for these games?

skullgirls runs nice but I feel this is a more pressing concern when it comes to comparing the true quality of these games

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dias posted:

Nah, because only spergy goons let "memes" interfere with their enjoyment of a game.

i can't enjoy the great music in skullgirls because ms fortune wont shut the gently caress up about how she wants a cheeseburger, i'm sorry for your deafness but please be considerate of others

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The Gorp posted:

Make the gorilla a hybrid grappler/zoner and ill play exclusively JoJos.

shadow dio and some of the other characters are really cool mechanically and capcom put a lot of love into this games visuals but its a real trainwreck to actually play seriously, tandems are a strong contender for the stupidest mechanic ever put into a fighting game

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

tandems going into 10-30 second long combos is already stupid, and the fact that characters with tandems do so much more damage than everyone that doesn't outside of shadow dio on every hitconfirm is even worse and is a huge part of why this game is so unbalanced with 7-3 and 8-2 matchups everywhere

but what really seals it is that tandems have goddamned I frames for some reason and are essentially completely unpunishable because you can just poke out of any gap with your stand and go into your own pressure to punish any move and if they hit your stand then they usually can't get anything more after it. at specific distances they can reversal super you but in that case you just don't hit any buttons and still get to completely freeze the game for a second or so and figure out the best counter for whatever situation you're in

this is already a really insane boon that only some characters have but it gets even worse because of how fast you build meter in this game & can stock 10 bars of the stuff, plus tandem is a simple quarter circle input so it's super easy to mash

there's a lot of other wacky unblockables and other dumb poo poo (my personal favorite is that young joseph has a 9-1 matchup against old joseph because he can't avoid laser super on wakeup, meaning he automatically wins almost any round where he gets a knockdown with some meter) but tandems are by far the most hosed up because they make matches drag out way longer if you know how to be an rear end in a top hat with them

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

star breaker doesn't really work as well because it doesn't have the crazy hitstun but that's still a really good move and it lets jotaro just completely wreck a lot of matchups

I wasn't kidding about 30 second combos btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDdRTgnC10&t=133s,

e: oh yeah I forgot another stupid as hell thing about tandems, the combos you get off them will build back most/all of the bar you spent on them so at a certain critical mass of saved meter it just becomes a free option you have at any time forever

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Capcom outsourced SFV netcode to a Korean mobile app game developer?

https://mobile.twitter.com/dantarion/status/710570775422455808

why can't big company capcom just make their own videogame instead of outsourcing it to random poo poo companies like dimps and these guys

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

GG Xrd was "made" by epic games

there's a difference between using an engine or other tech made by another company and just having another group actually develop your game for you

xrd was made in house by arcsys and they did a lot of goofy poo poo to make 3D models move like 2D, that's not the same as just getting the people responsible for sonic 4 to program your game and then having to patch it when it keeps loving up

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

alex doesn't even look like hogan anymore, he looks more like knuckles from the new sonic the hedgehog cartoon

wow another person on earth knows about this series

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

skullgirls being bad has nothing to do with it having sexy anime ladies (& the characters still make anime porn orgasm faces whenever you hit them so redrawing a couple sprites to not show panties or w/e doesn't really change this) and everything to do with all the mechanics being horrible & stupid

marvel 2 style reset heavy focus in a game without marvel 2 mobility/assists/screen size is a horrible idea, there's nothing fun about having to guess when exactly filla is going to end this combo and throw you into a high/low/throw/crossup mixup again that all lead back into the same combo into the same reset

the custom assist system is a huge joke because in order to "balance" the game they made most of the good moves incompatible with the system (IE you don't get a proper beam assist from peacock because you have to mash to shoot more than once) which means that every character has one, maybe two moves worth using as assists so the entire system might as well not exist anyway. I dont give a gently caress if mike Z pretends you can totally use jab assists to help set up tick throws, nobody ever uses that over stuff like flying rear end

the well advertised IPS system is a mess, it lead into 30 second combos before they changed it but now the big feature of this game not limiting your combos with arbitrary rules is no longer true and you still get thrown into a blender of many 15 second combos so it didn't really change anything

this last one is more opinion based but all of the characters suffer a similar problem with blazblue where they're overdesigned. Everything about their moves is so fine tuned to make them do one thing and do that one thing over and over that there isn't really any variety or tech to discover. This is probably because the devs are Actual Fighting Game Players and so they give them moves that whatever archetype is expected or "should" have but it makes everyone feel super linear and not unique compared to other fighting games.

It also doesn't help that the developers are stupid as hell and do stuff like massively overhaul how a character plays/combos and tells the fanbase to deal with it and get ripped off by publishers so they can't make any money to finish their games

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Fenn the Fool! posted:

For what it's worth, Skullgirls tries to be both fanservice and a deconstruction of fanservice. Take Valentine, the sexy nurse; pretty blatant character design, but she purposely fights with everything that is unsettling, unnerving, and unsexy about medicine. Bone saws, body-bags, needles, and anesthesia, her level 3 super is literally just performing a surgery, but with spooky framing and sound effects. Body horror is also a central theme, as shown by Fillia, Eliza, Painwheel, Ms Fortune, and Double; even Big Band is actually a dude in an iron lung and Peacock is terrifying when you realize her eyes are actually empty sockets. At the end of the day the game still has way more fanservice in it than I'd like, but it has some really interesting character designs that have a whole lot more going on than Anime Tittays.

no alex ahad just jerks off to stuff like this, sorry