Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Jack Trades is a Capcom plant to make us like SF5 by making it impossible to want to agree with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

These loving costumes

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zand posted:

because fighting games and other competitive games traditionally don't come with a fraction of their options if you purchase at full price. you don't need to grind matches or pay 5 dollars to unlock the AWP in CS, and in chess I don't need to play 200 games before I can get bishops. having a handful of DLC characters like in guilty gear is bad enough, but having 26 total characters with 10 of them being DLC is pretty egregious. add to this the fact that the game will be "supported" until 2020 actually just means that there will be an additional 10-15 characters added to the roster if they keep their current pace with around 40 characters, with only 16 coming with the base, full price game. This is a straight up free-to-play model, but everything is monetized, and the season pass doesn't even cover everything. This would be a completely different situation if the base game was free with every component being monetized.

the season passes are 30 dollars. they are planning on having 3 more seasons for a total of 5. the price for an incomplete package here is something like 200 dollars, without colors, without stages, without costumes. for being a featureless mess of a game it sure is expensive

Counterpoint, League of Legends

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zand posted:

league doesnt charge for base game, so,

and the league model sucks compared to dota 2 for a competitive game. the only reason it works for league is because the characters are a samey mess of interchangeable garbage

I only remembered that they used to sell a boxed copy of League

Also yeah League sucks

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Harada has Ono's family hostage

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fereydun posted:

"vergil is mid tier at best, morrigan is unplayably bad"
"zero and dormammu are without doubt the best characters in the game"
-
tabs circa december 2011

One out of four ain't bad

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Are there any other fighting games that are as slow and footsie based as street fighter is?

Koihime Enbu is even more footsies based than Street Fighter

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Mostly because there's almost nothing else in the game other than footsies.
It's anime ST basically.

Have you ever played ST before

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ST the game well known for having no setplay, only footsies

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/AutoMattock/status/813615342517895168

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i skipped a lot of college classes to play soul blade in the student center

Your name isn't a joke huh

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ixiggle posted:

Theoretically crush counters should have worked the risk/reward away from dps but real pressure situations are hard to get and CCs dont do enough damage so now dps are worse than theyve ever been in street fighter (fighting game??) history. Good job team

I mean non-invul dps were in third strike too, pretty much exactly like they are in SFV with ex dps being invul (though Ken's fierce dp had startup invul because it was ON FIRE and Akuma's were all invul because he had no ex moves)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zand posted:

make sure it's set to DP and not LS or RS

This got me a few times

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It is quite useful in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

People say that but Q's taunt is way too powerful for a vskill in this game

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

No way....

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Remember that when you lose it's because you don't have enough experience with the matchup

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

First person looking down at your big ol' fat E Honda belly

Help I think my VR is permanently on

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/nycfurby/status/837025224981872642

lol

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

So the game has all the data from prior character patches in the latest version because otherwise they would have to update their combo trials and maybe some replays would break since they just store inputs and replay the match for you to save storage space.

However this is like the 2nd or 3rd time the game is loving up and pulling the old character data in matches.

The last time i remember was like if you played against alex when he was brand new, half way through a set you character would revert to launch version. I dont recall specifics.

They have a very bad file structure that makes this easy to happen iirc too

It was like, every character had versions 001, 002, etc. Since Alex was new his only version was 001. Every other character was on 002 at the time. The game drew from the version of your default character to load its frame values and such, so if you had Alex as your default then it would draw from the 001 versions of every other character too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Slayer is more condescending than smug

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I kind of want to see them make the black girl who is a literal spear chucker into a playable character just to see the reactions

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Correctly guessing an opponent's next move is one of the hallmarks of Street Fighter. Option selects, which allow multiple options to be covered with overlapping commands, directly conflict with this idea,

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm not sure how jump throw tech os is gone when you can just do 1, brief 7 back to 1+throw and that'll still give you a jump if it's possible and tech a throw if you're in the middle of being thrown

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

(only works against horizontally-angled kick attacks)

This is such a weird thing even amidst that sea of weird changes

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Will they make it so that P2 doesn't have to thumbs up to rematch

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Only two versions?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

I had the idea that 'horizontally-angled' might have been a poor translation of 'forward', as in MK, which would be slightly less arbitrary but every bit as insane

jab/short/strong/forward/fierce/roundhouse are not translations from the Japanese

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

anime was right posted:

quote this if you think user jack trades should stop posting itt

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

stay depressed posted:

he's got funny hair

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I want to play this character but I am worried they might be too good

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

We Know Catheters posted:

Aren't they doing Evo Japan this year?

Evo Japan isn't running SFV

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

In this weeks excellent adventures marn explains his Vietnamese business practices and asks them to edit the audio out saying "its not here, its veitnam". They silence all the details in the vid. Then he talks about how he fired employees who wouldnt have sex but doesnt ask them to edit it cause its all there still.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I can feel it comin over me
I feel it all around me

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Its this. Xrd has huge characters too and looks fine even with like may vs potemkin nothing does it as bad as these sfv shots

Partially cos GG only has a few moves (maybe even only one? I can't remember others) that're hardcoded only to hit characters in certain states. Elphelt's 5H can't hit crouchers for example, and even Potemkin, the largest character in the game, isn't so tall that the animation clips through him when he's crouching. The issue comes up when people do crouching normals that raise their hurtbox up (like Johnny 2H, Slayer 2H, etc) and still don't get hit by it, but those are relatively niche cases.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

anime was right posted:

why did this make me laugh

Because Gief's counter is hilariously useless and he gets bodied by horizontal kick attacks on the reg

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ah my favorite, tier lists that have nothing to do with actual top level results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kawabata posted:

anime fgs have too much tits.

how can you say this unironically in defense of a game with Laura's string bikini in it