Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F2B
Feb 13, 2003
It's a good thing user interface isn't what makes a fighting game good. Right now the UI won't allow to me click or focus the OK button at the intro box for maintenance time.
I got stuck in a guide tutorial but managed to roll my face around the keyboard sufficiently to break it out of that one.

I say better than 4. Because 4 was so awesome with all it's risk-averse play styles and being about forcing the opponent to make mistakes rather than actually playing the game well in your own right.
Fight-by-the-numbers / "Street Fighter Hero" with all its sing-along baked-in combos made it felt like you were just getting spoon fed a game that what once was based on improvisational fighting styles as much as it was about winning an actual game. It's better than 4 broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F2B
Feb 13, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Thanks to this post I now know that forcing the opponent to make mistakes is not actually playing the game well

Thank you goon sir for this revelation

Yeah. It's not a losing strategy. It's just not one I'm too fond of. Mistake-based victories imposed or otherwise seem to me like technical victories rather than real ones. That's all.

F2B
Feb 13, 2003

Brosnan posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

Fightin games

F2B
Feb 13, 2003
Sorry if I don't know this one, but is there an easy way to turn around and talk smack to the person who just beat you? Because I'm not seeing an easy way on PC. I've got Steam for all of 2 games 4 and 5.

If not, I believe this is absolutely a good thing. Every time I get out match I win I'm still waiting for that nasty hate message I remember getting on Xbox. If this was a decision on Capcom's part then it was a solid one I think. Obviously they're trying to follow the model set by Riot games for e-sports, but it if this is true they're looking take some of the toxicity from it all. I mean I could be reading too much into this but if they're as smart as I think they are then they used this as an excuse to release a semi-made game on a solid premise. Because I would rather have a semi-made game early than a fully made one later.

F2B
Feb 13, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

A week or so ago, I had talked about how emotional control is both one of the hardest and most important skills for fighting games that no one ever talks about. I go on tilt a lot, and when I do, I always lose. One you get mad or scared, you are done, bro. When you get caught up in your feelings and get that fight or flight response, you literally get dumber as your brain doesn't process logic so well. It's science, man. I'm already pretty stupid, so the last thing I need is to get any dumber. If you have a big loss streak in ranked and you're getting frustrated, just stop. Take a break. Don't try to win back those points because you're gonna lose more. Call it a night and sleep on it and come back tomorrow renewed.

This guy made a pretty good video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-gaAmNNXw

This also makes me think there's you know, some actual utility in taunting your opponent and talking smack to them, but well, just do that at your own risk and don't be this guy:
https://www.facebook.com/anbufightclub/videos/1044036798993404/

Good stuff. My roomate was a straight decent player on League. Everyone wanted him on their team, but he couldn't hang. He would lose it over anything. He had to quit because he couldn't regulate. It was pretty ridiculous actually.

F2B
Feb 13, 2003

How about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F2B
Feb 13, 2003

Every Ken bronze + is using that option select in your video. But good poo poo though. Subscribed