Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, so thanks to whoever posted the Laura mixup video. That was really helpful.

I'm trying to master her LP xx LP Elbow, but the timing is /incredibly/ tight on it. Is there anything I can do short of constantly working on it in training to make it easier?

Should be roughly same timing as s.Lp, s.Lp combo. The slightly easier (slower) one is c.lp, s.lk, qcf+lp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
So they are adding rage quit punishment next patch or something?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Help Im Alive posted:

I think they said one character per month but I might be making that up

Also there's not really anything to base this on but you could maybe assume the characters are coming in the order in this picture

I saw a SFV release roadmap with each character and feature they are adding already labelled with scheduled release months on SRK somewhere, but I cant find it now.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I dont see the problem honestly, New Generation was critically panned and no one wanted to play it over MK/vs/alpha/SF2 arcades. A large part of love for SF2 (at least in the casual fanbase) was rooted in refusal to switch to SF3. By the time 3S came out, arcades were all but dead in the mainstream eye. At least that's how I remember it.

Just need to wait for the Alex update to see what we're in for in the long run as far as "finishing the game over the next few years" goes.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Jmcrofts posted:

SF3 followed literally the exact same arc as SF4 - called garbage by everyone for its entire life, but then when the next game comes out, looked back upon wistfully as The Good Old Days.

Now that you mention it, Capcom Fighting Jam at least had Jedah...

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm still playing with this random richiro french guy's name.

I was watching his Ryu replays and seemed ok, I dont know what name he would be under now since all those. Is he just getting double replays ?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

teagone posted:

Laura isn't real you guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyra_Gracie

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm really new to SFV/fighting games and I'm curious, what game is it most like in the series? I don't really have any experience with the others but I remember people saying it was a big change from 4?

It's not a drastic departure from 4, from a casual point of view. When the preview videos came out, the main complaint I heard was it looked like SF4 with new graphics.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Ah, I forgot. Zangief stole Alex's CA before Alex was even released, without the powerbomb at the end though.

On account of this, Alex is a no buy for me, even for play points.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I know it's a pipe dream, but I feel like a new Darkstalkers could work if they made it a download only, $20 title and got Iron Galaxy or whoever to work on it. Like it's never gonna beat SF or Mortal Kombat, but I think it could do okay in the budget digital realm. Resurrection certainly didn't light the charts on fire, but it's actually impressive that it sold as much as it did given that it was an obscure rerelease of some Playstation-era games with no promotion. Modern 2D graphics and a spot on the undercard at Capcom events could give it a big boost. It seems weird to me that they have the whole Capcom Pro Tour for one game anyway.

Remember the fake GG vs DS screenshot(s) floating around the internet? That's still on someone's pipedream list, Capcom, Sammy, whoever makes Guilty Gear.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Artelier posted:

I haven't put too much work into the game, but I'm stuck around the entry point of Silver rank right now.

When I'm under Silver - keep fighting Bronze and below players, the ones that haven't quite picked up the game.
When I'm at Silver - Keep fighting Gold players, the ones that have studied the game quite a bit more than me, which shows in their combo choice and tech.
Fight no Silvers.

I feel so alone.

I dont play much rank, so I end up playing every type of player and FWIW I haven't noticed any difference between bronze and silver players.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Yeah, seriously, only complete assholes pick FANG.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah when even Capcom community managers are RTing this

https://twitter.com/letshugbro/status/708284729708175360

you know there's no hope

After about 120 hours with the game so far, I have concluded that SFV for a large part of it's development was intended to be a F2P game, but they decided to slap a 60$ entry fee on it and see if they can get away with it. That is the only explanation that I can think of for it turning out the way it did, from everything looking like poo poo, to the grind or pay model with the costumes, and lack of arcade mode, characters and content being added over time. Next update the shop will introduce a new item, 5$ for a month of double fight money!

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 14, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

It was really weird how people (reviews) were saying that aside from the flaws, the SFV core gameplay was great. When the first thing I noticed was how sluggish and unresponsive everything felt, which I would consider a pretty big part of "core gameplay." Glad Im not crazy or older than I thought I was, it's just Capcom loving up like they always do.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

anime was right posted:

anyone good wanna fight me sometime i play birdie and live in the northeast usa my fightpunch name is "OROCHIMILEYCYRUS"

Did you have a sub/alt account named YouBleedLikeMIley or something like that? Cause I think I played you if you did.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Anime sells tho, dont you know? Oh wait, SFV sold poorly.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Fenn the Fool! posted:

For what it's worth, Skullgirls tries to be both fanservice and a deconstruction of fanservice. Take Valentine, the sexy nurse; pretty blatant character design, but she purposely fights with everything that is unsettling, unnerving, and unsexy about medicine. Bone saws, body-bags, needles, and anesthesia, her level 3 super is literally just performing a surgery, but with spooky framing and sound effects. Body horror is also a central theme, as shown by Fillia, Eliza, Painwheel, Ms Fortune, and Double; even Big Band is actually a dude in an iron lung and Peacock is terrifying when you realize her eyes are actually empty sockets. At the end of the day the game still has way more fanservice in it than I'd like, but it has some really interesting character designs that have a whole lot more going on than Anime Tittays.

Yeah, man. Games are art.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Zand posted:

I keep hearing that they are doing this, but I've never seen anything actually from capcom about them doing this. I heard that the release itself was rushed because of tournament schedule too, but again I've never seen any actual thing from capcom. where is this from?

It's assumption. But just look at the bland esportsy gloss on the whole package and suddenly all those assumptions seem more than fair. Capcom is going in hard on the e-sports thing this time around. You didn't buy NBA2K16, you bought A Basketball.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Hobojim posted:

I have no idea what you mean by this. Bland esportsy gloss?

More assumptions about the launch. What's actually working? Ranked, recording matches, simple training mode, the core gameplay. These are the most important things (eyeballing) to a "competitive minded" player. Story? Expanded tutorial? Arcade mode? After thought/will come later, because casuals are not the demographic. We don't need flashy trailers or CGI cutscenes, we need this poo poo to look like ESPN.

SFV just seems very purposefully pulled back on presentation to me, because they are targeting the hardcore fanbase over the casual fanbase this time around.

There's not going to be an Arcade Mode. Ranked is the new/true Arcade Mode. Be glad they're not charging a quarter to queue up.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 23, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Arzachel posted:

How do I autocorrect dp, is it just timing the button press or do I have to do a different motion?

It's when they cross you up and you do shoryuken but it goes the other way on it's own because it's baby street fighter and knowing left from right was deemed too much for stupid gaijin fighting game players.

Press P after the cross up I think. I really dont know, it works everytime I do it with Ryu.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Arzachel posted:

I am worse than a stupid gaijin because I get a medium punch every time I tried. Guess I just have to grind it out in training

I wouldn't worry about it. Trying to make things more accessible and in the end making them harder for everyone is the entire history of Capcom. Remember FADC?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Lothire posted:

I'm never one to kill the messenger, but stuff like this can get frustrating. "At some point maybe soon we will say *something regarding the future update."

*said something may not be important or helpful in any meaningful way, or it could be a loosely tied-in Alex trailer with release date.

By now they can drop the whole "thank you for your patience" line. Heard that enough during FFXIV 1.0 days.

For what it's worth, that appears to be the comedy Capcom UK site that posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiB3UFTH9CU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I'm sure there's no difference.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Wait I just realized, they are going to charge money for stages and every character that they're adding post launch. LOL.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Well I aint payin for that, gently caress u Capcpom.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

A.o.D. posted:

Why do people ragequit? Why do they do it the first time I cross them up?

What I dont get is ragequitting in Casuals or Lobbies. I mean I get why they do it usually because winning too much or losing too much (or obviously lag.) But what's the point? Isn't non-ranked just practice? It happens so much I'm starting to think it's more like a trend than a coincidence.

I go into lobbies for the sole purpose of getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly over long periods of time. It's a huge inconvenience!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Ryuga Death posted:

I still get the eventual slowdown after a period. I'll try running memtest to see if there's an issue with my ram or something. Maybe a reinstall is in order.

It's almost 100% chance to be an issue with the game.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The majority of people with Spanish and Italian flags have the absolute worst rollback. It wasn't optimal in USF4 either, but it was at least just a little bit of input delay. With this, it's full blown crazy rollback where they're fullscreen to in your face in a few frames.

Capcom knew people would want the car bonus round to return, but they also needed to come up with something original to impress modern audiences. They looked at MK and thought about Reptile, a character that turns invisible. Why don't we make BOTH players invisible randomly? If you can win blind, surely it's a sign of true skill. These random "blind" matches that happen between players are just another example of Capcom's INTENDED DESIGN.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Capcom server team is outsourced to gradeschoolers.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I think the worst is SFV's YOU WIN/YOU LOSE font. It looks like ms-paint with rainbow gradient fill. Really really bad.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I like how their simulations just kick in on the first frame on the character select. It's especially noticeable on Birdie. They should've just baked it down but eh.

Go into training mode and select the same character twice with the same color. It takes like 15 seconds for the game to realize oh yeah p2 should be assigned a new color.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

zooted heh posted:

I can't even do vegas first trial because the dummy blocks the final move. Do I just need to input it faster?

You can press start and see the demonstration of it. Sometimes you have to walk/dash forward or even be in the corner/specific spacing, but there is no mention of it.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

hiddenriverninja posted:

Did 9 trials for Chun Li, can't seem to crack the tenth one. What's sad is that it seems more straight forward than the other ones :(

That one is the easier one imho, it just takes longer if you don't play ChunLi and have to learn the timing I guess. Karin 5 is the one I actually had to stop at and put away for another time (don't play Karin either, so.)

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Dracula Factory posted:

After many days upon a mountaintop deliberating, I came up with a hairstyle tier list. Facial hair counts.

Obviously V-Necalli is SS+ Tier and we all know where Alex stands (although his doesn't look so bad in action as it does on the select screen).

Fun fact: Laura has cornrows because IRL women's MMA fighters style their hair that way specifically for in-fight practicality (most dont have cornrows outside of a combat.) I realize it's only half her hair, but def more practical than wearing a turban. Braids and cornrows is generally the go-to for keeping your poo poo out of the fight.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 29, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

ReVerve posted:

If you want to develop muscle memory and input DP's in a way useful beyond SFIV and V, try the following. The first is a buffer using the z motion and the latter a buffer rolling from 6 to 2.

6, 2+B, 3+B or 6, 3+B, 2, 3+B

I would also suggest practicing the combo in chunks when you run into any problems. E.G. First normal into specail, then special into super, then normal into special and super etc...

This is from a page or two back but I want to quote it again because it's really legit advice. As for segmenting, well it's kind of the way to get through anything hard in anything really, not just fighting games. It's always the small problem sections that cause the biggest mistakes.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

any tips for Cammy trial 10? I can't seem to hit the airborne cannon strike. I'm trying to start the combo from as far as possible, anything else I should try?

Personally that one was giving me trouble on the CA. I kept trying to cancel the drill into it, then watched the demo and turns out Cammy can just hit it as a juggle (like I didn't already know that from playing against a million Cammys?)

The divekick part I think is fairly generous, using MK divekick, starting the combo from almost max range, just as long as you don't reach the peak of your jump arc before it goes off.

Not sure if any of that helps at all.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
So while Alex is free to try, you can just farm out all the easy fight money out of him. At least there's that.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

darealkooky posted:

my argument is "why would you willingly play this game you keep saying you only think is meh and doesn't offer anything that doesn't exist in at least one other fighting game"

Brand name recognition, corporate marketing has brainwashed us all long before we were old enough to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Well, one positive thing about SFV, for anyone that still cares about Street Fighter as a whole, I guess now we can see a true grapple match between Zangief and Alex. There's got to be at least one person in the world that's excited about that.