Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
I mean you've answered your own question. Never block what you can DP.

But let's say he does get in with an awkward crossup or whatever? Stomp is safe but the string you're talking about isn't a true blockstring. You can interrupt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Slashes are completely punishable all the time, you should be able to cr.MK into tatsu those. Stomps, if the guy is doing the HK version, are actually even on block, so you kinda have to guess how he's gonna follow it up. It's how you pay for letting Necalli get close to you.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dias posted:

Slashes are completely punishable all the time, you should be able to cr.MK into tatsu those. Stomps, if the guy is doing the HK version, are actually even on block, so you kinda have to guess how he's gonna follow it up. It's how you pay for letting Necalli get close to you.

mk and hk are safe, but as goodpart said, they are not true blockstrings. if a necalli comes up and does c.mk into stomp, you can jab and MAYBE c.mp? i feel like that has been done to me.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

inthesto posted:

Because we didn't need a new word for "baiting throw"

It's the same reason we roll our eyes at "microstep" and, a few years back, when Smash players used words like "lag" and "camping"

Yeah, but "baiting throw" and "microstep" are three-syllable clunkers. "Lag" and "camping" are dumb because they describe other things. Shimmy is descriptive and has a good rhythm. I submit the following as evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLjZRAXRRA

Pomp posted:

It's not new though

No one said it is.

Buncha fuckin' prescriptivists, all of you.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
netcode isn't real

microwalk

priority

what else am i missing

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

netcode isn't real

microwalk

priority

what else am i missing

ken howitzer

8 FRAMES OF INPUT LAG

the "neutral game"

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 23, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
okizeme monster dictator

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

yomi

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Devourourour - Necalli, eating the March update

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Woshige Fighter V

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Secret discord illuminati

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

SectumSempra posted:

I feel like for my level this game has very little to offer. I don't like ranked. ( i feel like people play stupidly and it takes too long to rank up to 'good' people)

I don't play randoms and the person I played sf4 with since vanilla is more interested in the division than this game.

It also feels like there aren't enough archetypes.

Hey man.. there is a discord chat thingy with goons of your level that way to play all the time (sorta). Honestly you should play with people much better than yourself to get better, so maybe see if you can find the goonsgarden irc channel (if they haven't given up on this game yet (lol) or even assuming that channel still exists).

I think there is a link in the op. Maybe.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Foodahn posted:

Hey man.. there is a discord chat thingy with goons of your level that way to play all the time (sorta). Honestly you should play with people much better than yourself to get better, so maybe see if you can find the goonsgarden irc channel (if they haven't given up on this game yet (lol) or even assuming that channel still exists).

I think there is a link in the op. Maybe.

Public Discord Slums: https://discordapp.com/channels/150735798352871424/150735798352871424

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Well just got the game at last and Christ you guys weren't lying about wait times for playing ranked. It's pretty poor. I don't believe it's got anything to do with playerbase either. Sf4 had lots of time with less than 2000 players on pc at certain points during its life and finding a game was still easy.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 23, 2016

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Goodpart posted:

If Mika poses after the activation it's delayed. The rest is unknown to you

Isn't it that she points in the direction from which Nadeshiko will enter with one finger for instant and two for delayed?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

netcode isn't real

microwalk

priority

what else am i missing

tripguard socal

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
~finger puzzles~

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

netcode isn't real

microwalk

priority

what else am i missing

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

You wish

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hey cams, I don't know if you already follow vryu on Twitter, but here is a bunch of laura stuff:
https://twitter.com/vryu123/status/712534560421101568

E: oh and did you guys seriously forget hard reads? Smh

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 23, 2016

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ag Bengip posted:

Isn't it that she points in the direction from which Nadeshiko will enter with one finger for instant and two for delayed?

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

~finger puzzles~

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

:vince:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
B I S O N V O R T E X

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
catch your opponent off guard

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's easy because I never block

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
How do I autocorrect dp, is it just timing the button press or do I have to do a different motion?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
"Baiting throw" does nothing to actually describe "the shimmy". There are a million different ways to bait throw. Shimmy is something very specific and the term is descriptive and clear. What exactly is the problem?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

It's dumb.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jmcrofts posted:

"Baiting throw" does nothing to actually describe "the shimmy". There are a million different ways to bait throw. Shimmy is something very specific and the term is descriptive and clear. What exactly is the problem?

Perhaps there is no good reason why and people need to deal?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Did you guys get mad when people started calling Cheap Throws "tick throws"?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

There are a lot of fighting game terms that sound silly or dumb, not sure why this one is the back-breaker.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smash players using the term Lag for frame data

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Arzachel posted:

How do I autocorrect dp, is it just timing the button press or do I have to do a different motion?

It's when they cross you up and you do shoryuken but it goes the other way on it's own because it's baby street fighter and knowing left from right was deemed too much for stupid gaijin fighting game players.

Press P after the cross up I think. I really dont know, it works everytime I do it with Ryu.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bhsman posted:

There are a lot of fighting game terms that sound silly or dumb, not sure why this one is the back-breaker.

The Shimmy Meta

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Arzachel posted:

If you see them going for a cross-up, hold foward (if you were on the right side of the screen before they jumped, you should be pushing 'left') and then roll the stick to down-back as they cross you up; the game should register this as pressing forward, *cross up occurs*, down, then down-forward. At least, that's how it was explained to me. v:shobon:v

dangerdoom volvo posted:

The Shimmy Meta

Multiple big-name players have admitted it's a critical part of the game, tough poo poo? :shrug:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

It's when they cross you up and you do shoryuken but it goes the other way on it's own because it's baby street fighter and knowing left from right was deemed too much for stupid gaijin fighting game players.

Press P after the cross up I think. I really dont know, it works everytime I do it with Ryu.

I am worse than a stupid gaijin because I get a medium punch every time I tried. Guess I just have to grind it out in training

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm filing a trademark for 'dhalshimmy' don't steal

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mods, please change the title to Shimmy Shimmy Ya Shimmy Yeah Shimmy Yay

It will be like hanging a clove of garlic on the door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Arzachel posted:

I am worse than a stupid gaijin because I get a medium punch every time I tried. Guess I just have to grind it out in training

I wouldn't worry about it. Trying to make things more accessible and in the end making them harder for everyone is the entire history of Capcom. Remember FADC?