Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...e-eh-interview/

Phenom Did Nothing Wrong.

(not a hot take from Velociraptor, relatively safe to click)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, I'm recently discovering that Mika appears to have a tick-command throw? ...Off of what looks like a jab?

...What the actual gently caress am I supposed to do with that?
scoop em

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is there even enough time to get a jab in between the tick and the scoop? Do I just have to not let Mika jab ever?
If she's jabbing at a range where she can throw you hosed up because getting close is basically her bread and butter

Don't be close to a grappler ever

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
SF4 owns

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Double Bill posted:

They'll probably hit 1M sold by the end of the month (Steam alone is at 135k now). That's well below expectations but not "gently caress all".
In the context of a company that is being crushed under the weight of its own lovely business decisions, the numbers on SFV by the end of the fiscal year are utterly catastrophic.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Corbeau posted:

So... Necalli just vanished from my character select screen. Like, there is no character above FANG. And the game disconnected when an opponent picked Necalli.

What in the actual gently caress is going on?
MARCH UPDATE PATCH NOTES:

- Removed OSes
- Removed Necalli
- Changed "Coming in March" notices to "Coming in May"

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

First Time Caller posted:

How is it you guys are bored with 16 characters already?
They're all underpowered and boring with less offensive options than ever before, all with the same gameplan of "get in and press your best buttons, then throw maybe" (with the exception of Dhalsim)

Because of this, you can learn how to play a character at a semi-competent to intermediate level within 10 minutes, for better or worse

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
If Mika poses after the activation it's delayed. The rest is unknown to you

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Stefan Prodan posted:

As Ryu, if a Necalli jumps in on me and does the little 3 hit combo that ends with him stomping, what do I punish that with?

Ditto with his charge attack, I block it a lot but every time I try to hit back he's always blocking again.

Are those two moves safe? They seem like they shouldn't be.
Why are you letting him jump in?

Slash is 100% punishable

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I mean you've answered your own question. Never block what you can DP.

But let's say he does get in with an awkward crossup or whatever? Stomp is safe but the string you're talking about isn't a true blockstring. You can interrupt it.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Just a reminder that another reason why The Shimmy wasn't as prevalent in SF4 was because offense was a lot more safe and emergent in that you could do more poo poo more safely to maintain pressure instead of hitting medium punch twice and then backing off because you have Literally No Options At All anyway that's my post about dumb jargon bye!

Also it's hilarious that an entirely ironic and pejorative term has somehow become a core part of the metagame. Like that actually makes me chuckle a lil bit.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Night Blade posted:

The more I read this poo poo the less I want to play.
Why?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Corbeau posted:

The trials are legitimately useful for new players, at least the ones I've gone through. SF4 ones were just ridiculous, but these are doable and each seems designed to show a mechanic or cancel or link that's possible.
SF5's challenge mode gives you combos that are less useful than the stuff that's been out there since like the second beta. What an enormous waste of time and energy

I'll still do them if they give me free poo poo I guess

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Mega Comrade posted:

While this patch is a little lackluster in polish the rematch system is wonderful.
I will never rematch anyone ever unless I know I'll body their poo poo free and steal more of their points hope that helps

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 29, 2016

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
is there a lesson in the new tutorial section about the ken howitzer and if so could someone please capture it and post it onto youtube, thanks!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

burger time posted:

They nerfed marns mika mixup too
I haven't noticed anything that doesn't work yet

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Corbeau posted:

I hate Birdie.

I just got mega-exposed as Cammy because I don't know how to properly pressure. I just got jabbed out of everything, poked out after, and it didn't matter that my opponent didn't know how to combo or punish because random hits did a million damage anyway. His normals go so far that I can't seem to punish any whiffs or even negative-on-block moves.
Define "everything"

If you're doing lots of random poo poo and getting punished for it, stop doing those things and do safer things. If you're doing the safe things and just getting counterpoked, get better at footsies

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Microwaves Mom posted:

Shes the el fuerte of SFV right now.
Anyone who actually believes this doesn't remember what fighting against Fuerte was like. The only reason they'd say that is because they think that a standing 3-choice is somehow comparable to Fuerte having a 2 in 3 shot of keeping you in a loop of okizeme that you can't escape until you make the right read.

Also he had full screen gap closers and armour on wakeup and the ability to link far normals into said okizeme. But y'know

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

DoubleDonut posted:

Anyone have any tips for pressuring people after I knock them down as Mika? I've been doing f+HP into Wingless Airplane for people who will fall for it and otherwise I mostly miss timing the command grab when they get up and they throw me instead
There's no one solution and you have to make an educated guess 100% of the time

The best you can do is hide your movements somewhat and keep the opponent guessing. Best way to do this is using her target combo. Personally I wouldn't recommend using her fHP straight away as most people will block on wakeup the first time. Instead, do either LK~HCB+LK~MP (or omit the LK if you want to throw them the other way). It's basically an option select that gives you target combo if the LK hits, and a command grab if it whiffs. You get to choose which one.

This works with all her specials so long as there's a MP buffered somewhere in the motion but you're still making a read, so it's not a brainless solution. You could even do blocked LK into command grab, since you're left + afterwards. Most of her close pressure outside of fHP stems from her stLK so use it liberally.

Once you've gotten them scared of your command grabs they'll be inclined to mash or jump out. Take this on a character by character basis. If you're up against Laura, for instance, you can pressure her for free with fHP so long as she doesn't have super, whereas Ryu you'll need to be more careful.

Remember that fHP puts you at +3 on block so you have options after that too.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

DoubleDonut posted:

Well, I wasn't really asking for brainless solutions which is why I asked for tips, but thanks for your help
you said "tips for pressuring people" as if that's somehow a linear progression of actions that can be optimised to get the best result, sorry that it's not that simple and sorry that you somehow managed to take offense at that; perhaps r.mika is not for you?

perhaps you should try a character with more simplistic okizeme options, such as zangief at full screen

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Golem II posted:

Supers should just be the motion and two punches or kicks
get better at fighting games

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
MikeZ is a font of knowledge on many subjects regarding [fighting] game design and his opinions should be respected and listened to because he has been vindicated several times on several key issues, and has contributed a great deal to the broader community

But please also understand that if you give him carte blanche to Actually Make A Game, Skullgirls happens

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
But the few things Skullgirls gets wrong are so central to what the game is that it renders the good stuff pretty much irrelevant

Anyway, not a Skullgirls thread, SF5 is still booty, haven't touched it in days, look forward to streaming biweekly tournaments so I only have to talk about it instead of actually play it! Play KI: it's fun!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

ellbent posted:

hey update I quit necalli because I can't get a 10% success rate on literally his simplest combo

edit: mad at video games
h-how

e: my execution is bad enough that I can't play guilty gear or marvel or whatever the gently caress so this is rich coming from me, but really

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
hold down back as the stomp comes out and then you'll have enough charge after doing the crMP to hit the slash! it is literally impossible to link so I don't know why you'd ever want to do that

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
:siren: Australians :siren:

I'm hosting the first online tournament for SFV this coming Thursday at 6:30PM AEST. Entry's free and there are prizes, so feel free to sign up if you're interested.

Event details are here and rules/regulations are on the AUNZ SFV page, as well as the AUFGC page. Even if you're not interested, I've set up an AUFGC Discord that you can join to ask questions, matchmake, etc. I dunno if the Australian/NZ goons are part of the SA SFV Discord already but this one is more for the locals anyway so you should find a lot more matches out of it!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Golem II posted:

Mika players just spam the corner combo. They suck
stop getting hit by it and then you get to spam your own combo!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Kawabata posted:

friend of mine was like "combos are much easier than sf4, jump in"

we play a bit, he has absolutely poo poo reflexes and I win most exchanges but whenever he does win them it's the typical "unleash the 12 hit phoenix skull death combo on his face" fighting game bullshit so I keep losing matches. it's like fighting games always need to have the most difficult execution otherwise non-nerds who only like footsies, zoning, mind-games, reaction to mini-animations etc might someday have a chance and boy we can't have that.

the following question is: do I want to be a good nerd and do the 3 frame combos hundreds of times in training, hours a day, like he does?

the answer, surprisingly, is yes! game is amazing, and the disappearance of the "you must be a virgin" 1 frame link stupid retarded bullshit might just have won me over.
Look at this postttttttttttttt good gravy

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfv/bgm/chara/bgm_guile.wav

theme

its bad

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Lemon-Lime posted:

Actually, it's extremely good.
"people really like guile's theme! it's iconic and great! how do we re-arrange it for sfv?"
"how about we gently caress it all up and make it sound like a maroon 5 track and then strip away the core melody?"
"sounds good, book it"

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Revelant posted:

More combos with Juri that I was exploring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9JY06F-NU

Shes quite fun to play as and I see lots of potential in her current state, but she may change for all we know.
How did you manage to get Juri into training mode? The only mod I've seen seemed rather broken (in that she was permanently stuck in VT or that her specials didn't store properly).

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
:v: THE PRODIGAL SON RETURNS :v:

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Evil Canadian posted:

Its her longest range normal and its plus on block, what else ya want.
Except it's not? Feels about the same as her regular HK, which is around -2.

She feels like she's way too much effort for what you get, and isn't terribly fun. neat

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Toolassisted's Kolin data suggests it is indeed -2: http://toolassisted.github.io/SFV/KLN_000_A.html

but it's + on block tho :v:

Everything about her feels awful. She is sf5feel.exe writ large.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Keegers posted:

I enjoyed SFv for the first month...
...of the beta

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Jack Trades posted:

Is today the day when Capcom is going to announce their plans to make SFV good?
It's the day that Arika made them irrelevant.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Ironically their April Fools content seems to be among the most well-received stuff they've announced for the last 6 months

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
There's a SF4 tournament at BAM and I can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Cool they took all my most disliked inputs and slapped them on to a character that looked kinda neat to play! I can't wait to not try this guy!