Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Does he have any good reversal options at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
If you land a counterpoke with Ed you can't do anything afterwards because all of his specials have lovely range

Why

W h y

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

dhamster posted:

Not to mention Sol's counter hits give him crazy ground bounces, wall splats, tumbles, floats which can be converted into corner carry/big damage. Meanwhile Ed apparently doesn't get much off stray hits? Not that I was expecting too much out of him.
His two best cancelable pokes are crMK and crMP

At the range where you're punishing normals:

- uppercut whiffs, EX uppercut travels even less distance
- flicker hits once at best, whiffs 90% of the time
- DP whiffs
- can't cancel into burn knuckle because you gotta charge that up, else it's just stHP
- fireball whiffs, as does its startup move
- not even sure if super works

The only good things about him in midrange are that his sweep has like 9 active frames and his stHK crushes lows pretty well. Other than that I don't see why you'd ever play footsies with him

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

my mans do you know what game this is
I sat in training mode with Laura and whiff punished normals for half an hour with stHP xx elbow just to like, get back some semblance of feeling again

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
SFxT is a better game than SF5

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Zeku is actually really fun which means after two whole seasons they made a character I enjoy playing

Discuss

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
The problem is that the hitbox tweaks are just to make weird suboptimal poo poo work in combos where they wouldn't have otherwise, not to make the neutral game better/more interesting. They're buffs at such a miniscule scale so as to be nonexistent. Maybe someone will get their hands and feet back but I doubt it.

Why on earth would I wanna do stMP crMK with Ryu (which does less damage and doesn't even cancel into his donkey kick in AE) when I could do stMP crHP (which does more damage, and does)

Like honestly

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I don't see how Vega could be worse than Zeku.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
It's not. Light ball is the only safe-ish one due to pushback and even then, moves like YZeku slide, dic scissor kick and mmmmmost supers will reach it.

The trick is to apply pressure with electricity and then work from the frametrap. crmk xx elec, stlp xx light ball is an obvious safe pressure string but it's got gaps and is only safe in theory. Best option is to confirm from the jab, mix up your options with things like command grab, EX electricity or nothing at all, or just use it more when you get VT2 since then ball becomes properly safe

He's really fun but has mmmmmaybe the worst buttons in the game which is saying something given how loving awful most buttons are. His crmp is great but that's honestly it.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Mr. Locke posted:

That's really saying something because usually Blanka's whole thing is "hey my entire kit is a giant pile of unsynergystic badly-designed trash but at least my buttons are huge and good."
It still kinda is. On the upside his command grab is scary and the threat of it gets people twitching. On the downside there's no reason that I can see to ever use any of his ball moves other than the LP horizontal ball and EX up ball. Honestly I've had really good success just using electricity as a constant pressure tool and jumping around like an idiot

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
"How do we give a character with a long-range weapon SF5 range?"
"Just don't let her swing it"

God this character loving sucks

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

(hits high)

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Futuresight posted:

It's an anti-air jab.
this guy gets it

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
The difference in damage and setup potential between a character's hardest combo and their reliable BNB is negligible at best for 90% of the cast so just do the simple thing and enjoy the easy wins

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
SF's halo effect in terms of overall influence on the genre can't be overstated so a SF game being mediocre is catastrophic where another fighting game being mediocre is just... whatever

Like I get that not everyone like SF (not just SF5, but the game in general) but it is the defacto fighting game to which all others are compared. DBFZ isn't a great game mechanically but it's the only game that realistically has a chance to capture the hearts and minds of the general populace like SF has so I'm guessing people just will it to succeed so that they get to deathride SF5

Nothing ever came close to dethroning SF4 in terms of sheer numbers when it was on top but now Tekken is close, and DBFZ has taken over at a lot of majors. DBFZ not being great doesn't preclude it from having a ton of really nice little polishes that show that the devs cared enough to make a fun/exciting game at the very least, so I guess people just want it to succeed more?

Kawabata posted:

the sf5 hate on these forums is weirdly intense and specific

some of the posters' voices are also muffled, as if coming from deep within the salt mines
Except those same posters tend to be among the better players on average and can pretty much give you an itemised breakdown of why the game is bad? It's not like a whole host of pro players haven't come out and vocally critiqued the game for the same reasons.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Bleck posted:

I'm not disagreeing but as a mid-tier fighting game enthusiast I can't help but feel like "I can't believe that the neutral boils down to fishing for a high impact attack that leads into a rote combo" is maybe a more widespread problem among the genre than the community is comfortable with admitting
You're misreading

It's not that hitconfirms are inherently problematic: they're a fundamentally important part of fighting games. It's that SF5 gives each character one or two Good Buttons and offensive pressure boils down to hitting one of those two. No matter what the result, you're probably safe, and you're probably able to continue pressuring (sometimes with the same button) until you're out of range or the opponent v-reversals out

And to sweeten the deal, long range normals are so loving slow that they can be jumped over them like a fireball; since a lot of characters lack a quick AA normal to capitalise on late jumps so if you don't have a DP (or EX DP as the case may be) your best option is to probably jab AA, at which point they aren't punished for jumping so much as you just switched the offensive momentum having taken very little damage

That's somewhat reductive and there are variations on the theme like "the shimmy" which people pretend is somehow a new element to the fighting game genre when it's literally element 1 of the loving footsies handbook or like, i dunno, Menat in general, but like you get the point

ok so there are all the complaints people have had that are basically "lol chun's face" level of severity but when dbfz puts a mirror shine on everything it's tough to look at mika's anti-gravity tits or the patch that did nothing but remove cammy's nipples and be like "yes, this is fine"

that said pro players hate on this game routinely both privately and on the public record, and a lot simply put up with it because of the money at stake

dbfz is not worthless poo poo but it's not a great fg. it may go the same way as sf5 when the money disappears, it may not, but it's also the first of its kind, so it's hard to critique it the same way

several people in this thread (including myself) have tournament top 4 finishes to our names so it's not as if it's a bunch of uninformed r/kappa posters yelling into the echo chamber. effortposting about the issues sf5 has seems... i dunno, self evident?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It's really cool when you find out Cody is like his favorite SF character ever and he mains him in every game he's in
Fei Long not being in SF5 is bittersweet for me because on one hand I enjoy playing literally zero of the characters in this game

On the other hand I know they'd ruin him and I'd resent the fact that I'm resigned to using him

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Loot Boxes

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumsl...tion-on-june-25

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
G's mobility is terrible, his poor AAs make his zoning ineffective and overly risky, his momentum-based gameplay means he's Hakan with less guarantee of conversion and his lack of good defensive options means that he'll be at the mercy of the same throw loops and meaty setups that every other character who has the same issue are

Sagat is like a less good SF4 Sagat which is weird because even a less good SF4 Sagat feels too good for this game so I expect him to be heavily nerfed

That said his buttons are atrociously slow and it's actually less risky to throw a fireball in neutral than it is to throw a standing normal

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Double Bill posted:

Do you even vskill bro

Cammy eats this poo poo up free

Renoistic posted:

I want to like G but I'm having some real trouble using him. Are any of his jump-in attacks not poo poo? And his anti-airs? His V-skill is OK but it's got a slow startup. And his specials are terrible unless you use them in a combo since they are so slow. Most of the time the opponent just jabs him before the attack hits. Which attacks are reasonably safe to use?
His splash is good. bHP is a great AA at the right angles. Always cancel into qcfMK afterwards and you can get your charges up easily.

I don't really know what the gameplan is with him since the only thing he does especially well is steamroll once he's got charge, but even then starting things off requires a stray hit. His normals are stubby, he's slow, his projectile is atrocious. I figure you're just meant to stall, lure them in, and catch them with the hit that starts your offense, but really he's not that scary in any situation aside from the raw damage that he can do. He lacks +frames on CC buttons to be properly scary up close.

He loses to rushdown, he loses to a strong footsie game, he loses to grapplers, though I think he beats zoning. But this is SF5 where everyone beats zoning, so

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

A.o.D. posted:

Please elaborate, because her dive kick sure doesn't.
this:

Dias posted:

That attack has a long rear end startup despite the hitbox, if you do it preemptively it works, otherwise you're getting murdered.
is why.

If you time it to the start of the jump to catch an early divekick it'll work if she actually does it, but whiff if she doesn't. If you time it to mid-jump it'll catch a raw jump in, but get beaten by a divekick assuming the jump arc is right.

Even Nemo has some issues with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRj7QihLmLc

He successfully AAs a divekick once with shield, and that's with VT popped. Every other time it's an air to air, I think one crHP and the rest were just blocked or failed.

It's actually really reassuring to see Nemo struggle with the same problems with the character that I've been having :shobon:

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I mean I could link to a whole host of other G v Cammy videos where other players like Sako and RB struggle with the same issue but sure

Sako's most common AA option is jump back LP if that's any indication

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Colour 14 is the one true colour because it's The Mask and I've received more "sssssssmokin" messages than rage messages since getting it, which can only be a good thing

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Sakura: low damage garbage
Blanka: surprisingly fun and not at all bad
Falke: worst character in the game
Cody: not Cody
G: owns
Sagat: a worse version of what he once was

Season 3 was better than Season 2 but that's not saying much really

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Thirteen Orphans posted:

What is different in Blanka’s play between this and Ultra IV that he’s no longer considered a gimmick?
His command grab adds an interesting dimension to his toolset instead of just hopping around like an idiot hoping for a stray hit to do The Combo, and SF5 being SF5, ending blockstrings in electricity puts him at +3 which means it's actually a really good starter for offense

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Savage For The Winjun posted:

drat so much hate for sakura Chan. Y'all gotta remember she was rear end in sf4 vanilla too! She doesn't do much damage anymore but I'll be damned if she can't stun most of the cast in 2 touches
Pretty much every console release character in vanilla was really strong, just unexplored. Sakura was probably the weakest of the lot other than Dan but still had a lot of cool poo poo. She suuuuuuuuuuucks in SF5

ROFL Octopus posted:

It was cool when people went back to vanilla years later and found ridiculous tech characters like Cammy and Gen could do.
It's me, the guy who abused instant dive kicks like it was a 3S medium punch and hit stMK xx hands all day

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you rappin awful
gently caress 1 frame links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart