Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
i've been having fun with the game. sometimes you get some simple pleasures like resetting some dude so many times in a match that you get a 40002 error when they eventually pull the plug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I enjoy the game for what it is and hope they improve it in future.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Real hurthling! posted:

There were 20-30 mins of loads in a 3 hr game pn console last time i played it
on PC, in a battle lounge, I can sit in a ftdeath with people forever with maybe 10% of the time being actual load times.

Training mode with auto-accept matches takes maybe 30 seconds to connect and load the match with incoming challengers.

Beats me, dude, i think the game operates just fine compared to how SF4 handled lobbies.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Real hurthling! posted:

Wtf does this have to do with story mode?
I wasn't aware this was referring to the story mode.

I played through it once on PC. Loading times weren't bad? Not memorable at least. Story's rear end though.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kawabata posted:

I doubt all those same posters are "among the better players" and they didn't give us an itemised breakdown at all, most posts were "hurr p2 chun li boobs physics" or weird 2016 era complaints about all characters being exactly the same, or even posters not watching competitive SF5 but somehow complaining that you can't tell one pro from the others on the same main.

There are obvious reasons why this game disappointed at release and Capcom could've done a better job in more than one department. Sure, many pro players critiqued the game for the state at launch, the netcode/management of rage quitters, the 3 frames thing and the lack of defensive options leading to all out aggression being too strong, etc. Those are all things I can kind of agree with - except the 3 frames - but they don't make SF5 the worst fg ever released or DBZ the best.

But wait, the twist is that most of the posters you describe also think DBZ is worthless poo poo (I don't) so who knows!
we may be trying to go 14 years into the past to congregate on IRC and setting up fight lobbies for Melty Blood.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Ersatz posted:

So, did Capcom never do anything about cheatingnshitheads losing connection on purpose to avoid rank loss?
Yeah, you can get temp or permanently banned from repeated D/Cs, you also lose rank.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Savage For The Winjun posted:

I've gotta say the game feels pretty good these days... anyone else having fun or is everyone still sipping on the haterade?
im enjoying it, but i left the goonsgarden discord. not active enough/too much useless sarcasm

i go to other communities to talk about fgs

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Goodpart posted:

His command grab adds an interesting dimension to his toolset instead of just hopping around like an idiot hoping for a stray hit to do The Combo, and SF5 being SF5, ending blockstrings in electricity puts him at +3 which means it's actually a really good starter for offense
his VT2 is also incredibly nutty and pretty much allows him to steal entire rounds later on in the match by doing gimmick ball->hp+hk strings, allowing you to cross up (-2 ob) or stay in front (+2 ob) at your leisure.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

In Training posted:

drat +2 on Block???????? They should nerf that poo poo
This is an example of what blanka can do with a VT2 activation (should be at 6:50 in the video). When I say it's "+2 on block", blanka's free to continue pressure.

also there's a lot of safe specials that convert into pressure in this game, i don't know where you're getting the -10 from.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
game's... fine? It's free from the 11th to the 18th for anyone interested in seeing whether or not its worth playing.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

BGrifter posted:

So uh, I've had a craving to break out the old PS3 Fightstick and play some Street Fighter lately. I figured by now they must have unfucked everything wrong with SFV enough for it to be worth a look but after reading the last five or so pages, holy poo poo... :stare:

So um... I'm guessing the better option is to snag the PS4 version of USF4?

Yikes.
SFV is fine, not sure why people whine so much.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
iunno it just seems like relentless negativity based on an incredibly poor release. I picked this back up last February and have been playing it on and off since then, and had no consistent connection issues in ranked or in lobbies, if I run into a random wifi warrior I just blacklist them and move on.

Spending 70+ dollarydoos over the span of a year doesn't hurt that badly for me, i find it fun enough to justify the peanuts I'm spending on it.

There's always matches, and the ranking system feels like every match is close at the level I'm at.

it's a shame BGrifter didn't get in on it when the base game was free for a week or so.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yeah that must be it
a lot of the issues got fixed, and it's the same dudes rolling through and saying "it's poo poo play ____ instead"

i left the fg discord for goons because ya'll are negative pissbabys about just about everything and it makes interacting with you guys tiresome

Sestze fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 28, 2019

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kilometers Davis posted:

:yeah: it’s extremely tiring. I’ve always found the goon fgc very helpful but when it’s 80% toxic pissy assholes it gets absolutely fatiguing to exist with. It wasn’t always like this either but who knows. It’s a bit worse outside of the forums but that’s have changed lately.

Anyway I’ve been wanting to give SFV another shot so I think I’ll reinstall soon. The ads were loving atrocious but I guess they rolled that back. Might try DBFZ again too why the hyeck not.
the ads reward like 4 FM per ranked match, but you can turn it all off in the options menu. it was a raw attempt at monetization that they're walking back.

I hang out on the New Challenger discord, they're helpful to new players and have lobbies for other games other than SFV.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

AdmiralViscen posted:

Can you redo this invite
Sure, New Challenger discord. You can pick it up on newchallenger.gg as well

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
online lobbies are pretty fun and lag free

roster's pretty expansive at this point.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been playing one Capcom fighter a month for over a year and finally got to SFV last week and.... I'm having a really good time. I'm a pretty terrible player so frame counting complex combo poo poo is largely beyond me, but it's funny how easy it is to beat low ranking players with just a basic defensive strategy (I'm playing Cammy for what it's worth). Everyone is always rushing to attack and just hanging back, blocking and waiting for a chance to counter into a dirt simple scrub level combo seems to be working pretty well. Plus there are so many predictable shotos that you can easily bait into throwing a fireball at mid-range, which is easy to punish and they. never. learn.

Do goons still meet up and play? It'd be nice to get ground into the dirt by someone that actually knows what they're doing.
I'd love to play you, and there's plenty of people looking to play SFV on the New Challenger discord, and they'll teach you stuff.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 13, 2019

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

LeninVS posted:

Can't believe I have to benchmark against a 5 year old game.

Anyone have suggestions on who I should try and main?

My execution is "okay", in sf4 I mained balrog with a pocket Eryu and Honda.
I think I liked the explosiveness of Eryu if you landed a mk fireball FADC.
I liked the footsies of balrog/Honda.

I'm trying to learn kage, and Im not disliking it. But I feel like something is missing.
I think I just miss FADC in some sick way.
I suggest you join New Challenger, it's a good discord with links to other character discord, tech documents, and free coaching for SFV and other fighting games.

I also committed some stuff I know about various characters to my dropbox. It's far from optimal in some cases, but provides a decent starting point

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

LeninVS posted:

Love the notes.
Thanks for the discord advise, il join that tonight.

Did you main chun in sf4? I recognize the name.
No, I was an ibuki main in SF4, though I tried to learn about the entire cast.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Play Karin she is fun and you can make people real mad

e: fair warning I haven't played in like 6 months so I'm sorry if she is bad now
Karin lost her walk-up throw loop in the corner and has increased pushback on st. mp.

Other changes were detailed here.

Karin is still very fun, she didn't lose any of her combo routes or ability to tack on additional damage/stun by spending meter post tenko.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 3, 2020

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

LeninVS posted:

I believe you were the first goon to add me on steam to run sets with like 100 years ago. I barely understood how to DP. I think I lost 200 matches before I took a round
Once upon a time, yeah. I understand a little bit more about FGs now than I did back then :D

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Boredom and quarantine has lead to me going through and creating a set of basic guides for all the characters in SFV, as well as a couple of videos regarding some basic SFV mechanics and offense strings.

I dumped all of the guides into a dropbox that I link to with this google sheet. I update them as I learn new things

I also made this fairly dry video on some basic things worth learning and basic mechanics for SFV, as well as this video on string-based offense in SFV.

I also heartily recommend joining New Challenger. It's a good discord that Trykt, myself, and a few other goons play at. They focus on teaching new players the ropes in SFV and other fighting games.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mode 7 posted:

Oh awesome, I've seen/read a bunch of these guides but didn't know you were a goon - thanks so much for these, I really appreciate the straightforward way they're written.

Ranked update: Super Bronze and hovering around the 1000-1200 range consistently. Every Ultra Bronze I've fought lately I've come pretty close to winning which is comforting, but have been let down by execution or match-up unfamiliarity.
Working on getting some combos into my muscle memory but finding the link timing challenging, though double tapping is helping with that a bit - most of the fighters I've played recently have had gatling or cancel systems so I'm used to a certain degree of dialling in a combo that SFV doesn't let me get away with.

This is also where I start wanting to play other characters even though I know it's probably better for me to just stick with Sagat and knuckle down on learning him. It's not that I don't enjoy Sagat, more that this game has a lot of cool characters.
honestly, play who you like.

i made another video on setting up post-knockdown offense in SFV if anyone's interested

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
5 more characters, 3 more stages, and a costume contest

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/1265660100850733058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

NonzeroCircle posted:

I haven't played this in ages, is Juri still a bit underwhelming? I mained her as I had in 4 because if someone doesn't know what to do about her you can play keepaway for days, but her damage output and fireball range was nerfed from 4 from what I remember, and I don't think her non feng-shui engine ult was as much fun to snag people with. She's still fun but some match ups she really gets massacred.
I am pleased that my SF4 fightpad works seamlessly on PC with this and SC6, cannot get to grips with sticks at all.
Juri's a completely different beast to SF4, for better or worse. You're not playing keepaway and hitting them with a divekick in this game.

Her mechanic in SFV is stocking certain special attacks with qcf+k that she can then release or chain later on. As such, Juri's sort of a "chores" character, where if you get your stocks, you can do incredible damage, stay safe on block, and have incredible corner carry. She's also got three different anti fireball options as part of her kit, which makes her a nightmare for the ubiquitous shotos you face in lower ranks.

Not super top tier, but very playable.