Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why do you just post random gifs sometimes?

It used to be that tabs posting Devil May Cry gifs was like the "hey this argument sucks so here's some cool gifs to make the thread better" signal, but now I think it's a compulsion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
He is like GameQuoter on that DMC poo poo though.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
jmcroft's post didn't agree with what you said.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
As long as we're getting hung up on people using dumb words, baiting a throw attempt is not "meta-game," it's part of the game.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

StabMasterArson posted:

Honestly is it worth me dropping £45+ on this game to play it on PC with a stick with Dinput or just stick with IV?

Realistically no one is going to be playing IV anymore, but you should wait and see if the patch announcement makes the game look any better as a package.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gunder posted:

Theoretically, why would you want an octagonal gate in the first place? Arcade games?

People who are new to sticks don't like being bad at doing stuff, so they often convince themselves that they can buy or mod their way out of having to spend time playing to get better; octagates and new springs and hitboxes and all manner of other dumb things end up finding their way in when people get impatient.

Basically true for any other hobby, I guess. If I just had this one golf club, *then* I'd be able to drive it 250 yards! ... Okay maybe I just need to use different balls, then I'll *really* nail it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They completely missed Alex's vibe with his redesign.

It's OK, Alex wasn't that cool before either.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fellblade posted:

Thanks, I can handle Necalli so hopefully Alex shouldn't be too bad.

?????

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Crayvex posted:

Is there still an IRC goon chat room or anything to find matches? I'm getting tired of getting my face kicked in by randoms.

#goonsgarden on SynIRC is where most of the SA fighting game old guard hang out.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I understand a lot of forms of whining from fg scrubs but I don't understand whining about charge moves.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

I don't like playing charge on pad and always found it kinda awkward to "time" my specials, plus it leads to less mobility overall. I think most people that would rather not play charge characters have similar issues. There you go.

There is nothing about playing on pad that makes charge any harder than on stick. The only real complaint here is "I want to walk forward all the time," which you get to do anyway if you pick Guile, because charge projectiles let you follow up and press buttons.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well what you actually said was "[the reason for whining about charge moves is that] I don't like playing charge on pad" but I am giving you the benefit of the doubt in my assumption that you were implying an even remotely more meaningful point.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Buckwheat Sings posted:

What does it get wrong? I'm just curious since this stuff is fun. I know the obvious one is ease up on the pedo-cheesecake character designs. What are other ones?

The central design hypothesis for the whole game is "Relentlessly comboing and resetting your opponent is the most fun way to win in a fighting game, so characters should be able to constantly put opponents in a state of mixup pressure even if they're already being comboed."

A small number of people agree with this hypothesis and find the game fun; a lot of other people feel that pacing is part of any good game design, including fighting games, and that the way Skullgirls forces you to be vigilant 100% of the time, even when you're already being punished for getting hit, is exhausting and not fun.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

I completely missed Marvel 2's heyday, but isn't "relentless pressure even when comboed" something that's applicable to that game also?

No. There are specific circumstances where you should expect your opponent to go for a reset (kind of like MvC3, in the rare case that you actually have to do a reset instead of just killing them outright), and you will usually know vaguely what kind of reset they're going to go for. There are still nasty ones because that's the point of a reset, but it's not like Skullgirls where every character is designed to have like 4 to 8 way poo poo that they can restand you into at any time.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also Capcom is terrified of doing anything innovative or competent.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

I finally understand what "offensive crouch" is.

It's about time someone decided to actually make it a thing.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dracula Factory posted:

Damnit we need blizzard to make a fighting game, it would get the appropriate amount of love and the story would be terrible, which is exactly par for the course for fg's. At first I was a little mad but now I think it's funny that a company can take one of the most beloved IPs in all video games and then release the game in a half-finished state.

Blizzard's MO for the last 10 years is to not allow things in games that make you feel bad, even if they help make your decisions more meaningful. Fighting games basically exist to make you feel bad about your incorrect decisions.

A Blizzard fighting game would be less of a fighting game and more like Smash Bros.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That's not really news to anyone ITT

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
No bc you don't take chip damage and you can kill noobs with it

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Constellation I posted:

Can we use this thread as an Overwatch thread instead. I only read posts from Brosnan in the other thread anyway.

I support this, if only because the real Overwatch thread is really awful.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

brian posted:

precise and difficult to perform

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Overwatch is cool and complaining that a competitive shooter doesn't have Borderlands shooty numbers is dumb.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

Your a dumb rear end lol

How do I tell when I'm shooting someone :saddowns:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

is there actually some sort of feedback for that because it'd be cool to know. I'm just used to tf2 doing this through damage numbers and hit dings.

NecroMonster posted:

but really, the game needs to be giving a shot ton more player feedback, during and after matches, than it currently does.

some better tutorials, explaining game modes, and doing in depth run downs of what characters are generally supposed to be doing would be a big loving help too

NecroMonster posted:

Your a dumb rear end lol

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
MKX is actually a pretty competently made fighting game if you're OK with how Mortal Kombat games have felt since the original.

It also has tons of content for people who aren't competitive players, which MK games have always tried hard to do and it's part of why they're basically guaranteed to sell well.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Basically I don't know why Capcom seems to think over and over again that half-assing a flagship game on a shoestring budget is a good way to eke out profits when other companies are actually putting resources into making good games and seeing good numbers as a result.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
God that game is still so loving ugly.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

play skullgirls it's a better marvel

It's not nice to troll tabs

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

I would agree with you on the first part but SFV doesn't have any character unique mechanics and everybody has like 2 specials and a V-Trigger, the complexity of the character by character design has been super limited so far. It makes me think the situation is like 4 people in a Tokyo basement somewhere hitting the server reset button once a week in between non-stop working sessions to just get something out the door at the end of the month

Just designing interesting character mechanics isn't really what takes so long though, it's also a lot of asset generation, animation, tweaking, etc.

But I think your description of the situation is probably pretty accurate.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Guys just play Tekken

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Even though it doesn't have loving CRAIG IN IT

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Flinger posted:

8 frames = 20 tickrate

this

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L2ooG_MX9E&t=72s

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Baal posted:

I don't think they're understaffed. If anything this game seems to me like it's got too many cooks more than anything else.

I don't think a game that's like 40% done reeks of having too many people working on it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
His proportions are freaking me out right now

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

As far as I'm aware T3, TTT1 and T5DR are the Tekken games in terms of popularity/acclaim. Brosnan can probably say I'm wrong and dumb with more knowledge tho.

I can say that even the lovely arcades I went to had those cabs while anything past CPS-2 was impossible to find anywhere.

Those were all definitely huge titles, but kinda like appleken was saying, the Tekken community doesn't tend to cling to previous iterations the way people do for some other series. Like T4 was lovely but it didn't cause a huge number of people to go all Smashfan about it and insist that Tekken Tag is the One True Tekken or anything (and also no hitting me on the ground it's cheap and Jin is banned and I get to be first player).

I think T3 is probably still all-time most popular in terms of sales, because it had insane market penetration with PSX owners who weren't really fighting game players but loved mashing in Tekken.

T7 kinda has mixed reviews from the diehards so far, which is more or less what you'd expect when you take the most impenetrable fighting game in existence and try to give new players some tools to get into the game more easily.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
ESPN2 has covered Dota previously. It was a little funny watching sports nerds online rage super hard about how Video Games Aren't loving Sports What Is This Geeky Bullshit On My TV but other than that it didn't really affect anything.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

A.o.D. posted:

Training stage is a massive problem

lol #priorities

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

youre not supposed to play fighting games youre just supposed to buy all of them, do training mode for a half hour and never play them again

Cool so boxcarhobo is doing it exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

youre not supposed to play fighting games youre just supposed to buy all of them, do training mode for a half hour and never play them again

btw real talk this is what I did with SFV and Xrd

I think I also did some player matches against like one person in each game but that was it.