Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh Crystal. Not the first game I ever owned, but it was the first game I ever played. Unfortunately for my siblings after they taught me to play, I was the little sibling who overwrote saves. Lots of nostalgia for this one, even if it's not the greatest.

Er, maybe it was Gold or Silver, looking at those dates. I could've sworn I started playing Pokemon before I started Kindergarten. Maybe a month seemed longer then? Who knows.

As for karma, it bit me in the rear end 8 years later when my brother deleted my active save on Crystal when I left my GBC in the bathroom. After that, my Crystal's battery went. Thankfully, HGSS came out that spring but still.

Totodile was the starter of choice when I was a kind because CROCODILES :black101:, but now I go with Cyndaquil because look at it's precious face!

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I've gotten Pokerus twice: once in Gen 3 and once in Gen 4. Once you have it it's pretty easy to keep around though. A Pokemon will remain infectious if you put it in the PC, so you can infect your team at will at that point.

As for the rival, let's call him Shinji, since Paul was the closest thing to a Silver equivalent in the anime.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

EDIT: I am a dumbass.

Sentret has always had one of my favorite first route normal mammal designs (though I prefer the Zigzagoon line). It's a shame it's such a weak Pokemon.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 28, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Trick Question posted:

I think Jeremiah would be a good name for that 'mon.

Nice. Jeremiah has my vote too.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kikas posted:

Spinarak might be weak, but is in a diffrent league then Ledyba, The Second Worst Pokemon In Existance. It evolves into Ariados which is a big, speedy spider. Yeah the birds are the same, but pokemon distribution is WAYYYYY better then in Gen 1. It will become very apparent soon, I think you can encounter like 30 diffrent Pokes before the second Gym, which is something the games will not repeat until I think B2/W2. Or even X/Y.

That's because XY spreads the first and second gyms a million years apart.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And then every other Gym City has one or two routes between it and the next Gym City.

Excellent pacing, brought to you by the company that made the level curve in this game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I like the night palette the best, but Espeon is my favorite Pokemon.

I guess you'll be getting it anyway so it doesn't matter though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Crosspeice posted:

Espeon, which is also my favorite overall Pokemon, since I love purple and green and cats and Espeon is a purple/green psychic cat. Simple.

:hfive: Espeon is my favorite overall Pokemon as well.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lanturn is a Pokemon I've always wanted to use, but it always comes to late for me to add it to my team. Maybe one of these days I'll breed myself a Chinchou to actually use it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Let's talk about Badge boosts! I don't think I've ever noticed a difference with them!

Does any non-Gen I/Gen I remake games even have the badge increases?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Solumin posted:

No, the badges in Gen 1, 2 and 3 actually boosted your Pokemon's stats. Different badges give different bonuses. In Gens 1 and 2, it's a 9/8 multiplier, and in Gen 3 it's a 10% boost (or 1.1 multiplier). These bonuses are applied during battle and are really broken in Gen 1. Here's the article.

Here's something I've never heard before though:

Poor Dark Types.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Crosspeice posted:

Noted. I know about bits and bytes and that, but I was mainly copying what Bulbapedia said, so blame them.

Also, it's interesting that they did make the Unown Latin letters. Did this occur before or after they knew Pokemon would come to the west? I imagine that decision was made around 1997, so they had time to localize it. So maybe if Gold and Silver hadn't been delayed, who knows what changes would've been made. Cause while Unown are really lovely Pokemon, they are really fascinating and the ruins are neat to go through, so I'm glad these games were delayed, if this area was an added feature.

Pokemon was brought to the west and began selling like hotcakes in 1997, so I imagine they assumed localization would happen even that early on.

There are some sounds that can't be written in traditional hiragana. "v" for example. Distinguishing between "l" and "r" for another.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

There was apparently a braille guide in the instruction manual for R/S/E, but no one reads those so I can't verify that.

I did!

...but I lost the box and manual years ago, so I can't verify one way or the other.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Serperoth posted:

That will teach me to post at 2am :downs:

But yeah, what I meant was that, while they cover the same sounds, katakana is the one used for non-Japanese words, and hiragana is for Japanese. Don't know how set in stone that is, however.

Katakana can also be used for onomatopoeia and emphasis. Or showing a character is talking robotically.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Solumin posted:

You're right, I meant the manual.

My guide for Ruby/Sapphire is falling apart, too. I played the poo poo out of those games.

My guide is held together by hopes, dreams, and nostalgia. It has neither cover and the spine cover wore off.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

Imagine how many easier ways there are to make money once you have time travel.

Investing in Google would be a good start.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It's really annoying because I like to use all new Pokemon for my first run of new games and it really limits my options. There are some Pokemon that I've always wanted to use but never have just because they always come too late in the game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My one wish for Gen VII is not to only have 70 new Pokemon so I actually have options when I want to have a team of all new stuff. And not to stuff all the cool poo poo by the 6th-8th gyms.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

Then B2W2's story dives back into stupid again. :v: Though gameplay wise, it was better than BW.

I'M ABOUT TO UNLEASH MY RAGE!

:allears:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We're all thinking it.

What even was the plot of B2/W2?

I remember something involving Hugh being upset about his sister's stolen Purrloin, and then Team Plasma did random crap for most of the game until they made a giant freeze gun with Kyurem, and Ghetsis showed up for, like, 10 minutes.

Also N comes back to Unova and Colress exists.

...And I make a million movies, I guess.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

Lance was so full of Rule of Cool that they decided using dragons and being a region champion wasn't enough cool for him in the Anime. No, they needed to add MORE. Let's make anime-Lance a SECRET AGENT, TOO! YEAH!

Not to mention he was such a cool secret agent that he'd be the one to respond to Team Magma and Aqua, not any Hoenn characters! :downs:

...God, the Magma and Aqua arc was so bad in the anime.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I always call mine Boris.

Wait, no, poo poo. Churchill.

Oh yes. :britain:
Churchill is a good name.

Re: anime talk, OK! is still my favorite opening, no matter how lame Johto was.

Golden sun and silver moon!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You know, I've always wanted to use a Slowpoke. Maybe if I didn't keep going with the water starter I'd remember to do it.

I used a Slowbro in my X Psychic monotype and it's actually quite good. I bet the Physical/Special split and increased moveset over the years helps though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Silegna posted:

Courage for my vote....I use to think bugsy was a girl.

So did Gold in the manga. :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I find monotype challenges also help. I used a bunch of Pokemon I hadn't before in both my Psychic and Water monotypes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Roro posted:

I usually do a run of the game with some of my favourites and some new, then a run with a completely wild team. Doing this has taught me that Lilligant can be a loving beast when she wants to be. In Omega Ruby, she wiped the entirety of the Elite 4 AND Steven on her lonesome.

Lilligant is one of my favs because she's a beast in game. I even managed to win a few OU games online with one because of shocked opponents despite her fragility.

I probably would have had no idea if I hadn't caught one with Own Tempo when I was first playing through Gen V in Japanese.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

apokaladle posted:

Until this moment I assumed everyone loved it! It was one of the better minigames in the whole series, along with the 3rd gen contests that nobody else liked either.

I also like the movie minigame. I wasted like 2 hours there on my first W2 playthrough.

And I'm one of the few people perfectly happy to see the Game Corner gone because it was such a pain in the rear end. I hate slot minigames, and I also hate that RSE gated the Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam TMs behind coins.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Spatula City posted:

I like Voltorb Flip because it only took me two hours to grind enough coins to get Flamethrower for my Togepi (because Togepi gets Extrasensory off the bat in HGSS and has decent special attack, it becomes eminently usable).

I love the Togepi line and that's probably because of gen 4. I almost always end up with a Togekiss in HG.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Miltank was a huge roadblock for the 5 year old me. I think my brother managed to take the game back from me a couple of times when I asked him to beat Whitney for me though, so good for him.

Whitney and Elesa are easily my least favorite gym fights.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

apokaladle posted:

...is that still in the later gens? How have i played Pokémon games for literally thousands of hours and not known that?

Status immunities are now based off of the status itself rather than the type of the move that causes it, with exceptions like Grass types being immune to powder moves. All Fire types are immune to burn, Ice types cannot be frozen, Electric types cannot be paralyzed (Ground types can if hit by a non-Electric paralysis causing move), Steel and Poison types cannot be poisoned, and all types can be put to sleep now in Gen VI. The newest edition is Grass immunity to powder moves and Electric immunity to paralysis.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 21, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I cheesed the Slakings by using Protect on the turn they attacked and then attacking on their Truant turn. :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Oh lord, those things, yeah. I forgot about them.

Not only are Slakoth surprisingly fast (Base Speed 100 for a sloth), but also have some of the highest non-Mega Attack stats out there at 160. Now factor in solid bulk at 150/100/65, and you got a wrecking machine... that can only attack every other turn. Yeah, as someone said, you can cheese them with Protect, but I'm not sure at that point you have good access to Protect on anything that can put a dent into them. Especially when you consider that the second one in RS has Slack Off to restore 50% of its health.

Yeah, I used a Pelipper which isn't exactly the strongest, but it wasn't that much of a fight of attrition. But since it was ORAS, I had access to Brine.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

GilliamYaeger posted:

While we're on the subject of overpowered Miltanks that abuse Rollout, I found this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AYyYzzS98w

The interesting stuff happens at about 7 minutes.

:psypop: That's... That's dedication there. At least to put up with all the switching.

"..." indeed Red, "..." indeed.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 23, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SkyTalon2314 posted:

:sigh: I am trying to find somewhere that corroborates this short of me cracking open my copy of X and going back to fight her myself. Which I might just do. My friend and I were taking her on at about the same time and noticed an odd number of crits, but the most telling thing was her M-Gardivoir dodging 100% accurate attacks like Thunderbolt. Then again, it's been a couple years, so yeah. I'm going to go back and refight her, see what I can see, and report back. I haven't transferred over everyone to Alpha Sapphire, so I should still have a good team.

Yeah I fainted her Gardivoir in one hit, so I'm not sure about this, dude.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kikas posted:

And then with Fairy typing and Play Rough it's a literal dragonslayer :black101:
I mean a Dragonite will still wipe it with Thunder, but it's still badass.

Azumarill is the MVP of my water monotype in ORAS. Helps that I stuff even Protein I find down its throat though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Each of the Professors studies different branches of Pokemon, right? Like Elm doing evolution?

So I could see him using trade evolution Pokemon or ones that evolve in weird ways.

Elm is eggs, Rowan is Evolution, Juniper is real world evolution (Pokemon origins), and Sycamore is Mega Evolution.

I think Birch is habitats and Oak is everything? I can't remember.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Platinum is actually fun, although after D/P I can't blame anyone for not wanting to play it. D/P nearly made me leave the franchise, and the same happened to a few of my friends. What terrible games.

It's a great thing they were followed by B/W, by far the best Pokemon has ever been, because man, that was awful.

X/Y are okay. They have their flaws, but even gens are as a rule flawed as hell. At least X/Y are fun, unlike G/S/C's complete lack of level curve or D/P's being terrible in nearly every way.

Gen II's level curve is poo poo, but it's still better in every way than Gen 1. So I wouldn't say all the even Generations are bad. Or rather less good; I don't think there's been a truly "bad" main series Pokemon game yet (in the since that it's a bad game period ), even though I dislike Gen IV too.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

I will never understand why the fake tree Pokemon is considered a rock type and not a grass type (or even a grass/ground type).

...Because it's a fake tree, not a real one?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Archeops in BW was awesome because its stats are completely ludicrous and balanced by Defeatist. But it's incredibly rare that you'll ever end up with it below half health, given you can use potions and the like.

Yeah it's useless in multiplayer because Defeatist, but in game it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Qwilfish! The Pokemon so bland I forgot about it for a good two years when I was a kid.

• Locked thread