Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Still better at predicting than anyone who'll post in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zohar posted:

because of a garbage political science theory that they and most other American pundits attached themselves to before this election.

It's not garbage. It still elegantly explains a almost every primary season that's happened. The only reason it didn't this cycle is because Trump can completely break reality.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zohar posted:

yeah I'm sure it's just a magical and inexplicable event and not indicative of a serious flaw in the theory because after all the theory can't fail it can only be failed

It's called an outlier. You're gonna have them in social sciences. And let's remember that the theory's doing just fine with the Dem primary.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zohar posted:

Yeah no that's a handwave. If invisible primaries theory's description of how elections happen (or at least the form in which it's passed into received wisdom) were true, then Trump wouldn't be where he is. The fact that he is means that the theory's description of reality is not sound.

No, like I said, a single exception doesn't disprove a rule in social science. Elections aren't based on immutable physical laws.

Now, if Trump opens the door for other ultra-demagogues to hijack party nominations, then you could make the case invisible primary theory is busted. But I don't personally think that'll happen because Trump is such a singular phenomenon.

Concerned Citizen posted:

"just fine" other than the fact that bernie sanders has come very close for a candidate who has essentially no backing by the party.

"party decides" is garbage. its existence owes more to the fact that there are very few elections to sample from. endorsements only correlate with the winner because, not surprisingly, people endorse expected winners. but that's not predictive because endorsements don't actually win votes unless you happen to be an unpledged delegate. look at the vote in NH. hillary won *every* major endorsement in NH and she lost by 20+ points.

"Coming very close" isn't the same thing as winning, and if you believe betting markets Bernie has never even been without striking distance. I personally thought he was before Biden dropped out but that's not the consensus.

G-Hawk posted:

Nate Silver originally focused on averaging polls and factoring in some fundamentals in a way that was fairly advanced as far as election analysis goes at the time, and that was good and innovative if not spectacularly difficult. These days 538 just churns out poo poo tons of content some of which is good but others are really speciously reasoned and basically the same kind of leap to conclusion punditry he originally cut through.

I do agree 538 has too much punditry now, but as punditry goes it's pretty good.

Laphroaig posted:

Also he's just tweeting incomprehensible gibberish now:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/702683681132040192

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

what completely meaningless statements

He explained what he meant in an article. The "high floor" is because Trump's supporters are so loyal and he hasn't taken the less-loyal ones from Carson or Cruz yet. The second tweet is about how many voters supporting non-Trumps are vehemently opposed to him. It's basically just about how he's a really polarizing figure even among the GOP.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Correlation is not causation.

I didn't say it was.

MaxxBot posted:

It's not just Trump, the Republican base hates the GOP establishment right now, people like Jeb! who had no grassroots support and were propped up by elites didn't stand a chance this cycle.

That's definitely another factor.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Also it's not doing 'just fine' with dem primary, silver has been wrong at multiple junctions so far and keeps moving his goalposts.

Silver said like 8 months ago "Bernie has a good chance to win New Hampshire, and some chance to win Iowa, but is very unlikely to win SC, and probably won't get the nomination." That still sounds reasonable to me.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

With all that said, I don't think 538 is perfect, just better than average punditry. I also really want Trump to win and at this point consider it likely.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nate Silver and other data journalists were basically running on the theory that candidates would boom-and-bust like Herman Cain and other candidates in the 2012 race. They just sort of applied 2012 as a universal model for no particular reason, and ignored the reasons why 2012 happened the way it did in the first place (because the right disliked Romney). When the bust never happened, I guess they just sort of assumed that the crash would be all the more epic later on.

I noticed that, and commented on how, if anything, Trump's pattern of support was more like a supercharged Romney than one of the not-Romneys.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I've done it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

5-turdy-8

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bernice Anders posted:

Yeah no poo poo. Harry Enten wrote today that if Trump doesn't win Ohio he is FINISHED.

All he wrote is that "Trump is unlikely to reach a majority of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination if he loses Ohio" which is true.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

That's delegate majority, not popular vote majority. He'll make it.

Yeah that's not gonna be a problem for Trump, but it could for the other candidates :pray:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Maxwells Demon posted:

Do the 8 states have to be from the actual 50 states or does Rubio winning Puerto Rico and DC help him?

States only.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:whitewater:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

bawfuls posted:

On the other hand Trump makes things up all the time without penalty.

Trump is an extraplanar being that doesn't have to follow the prime material's rules.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

He'll probably do better in the general. Then again, as long as Trump gets the nom, this won't be a hard general to forecast.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like that graph even if has obvious problems with the limits of what it can represent.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bernice Anders posted:

They made a retarded completely arbitrary graph and then put one of their made up data points outside of it. They're morons and the graph is dumb.

It's hard to say it's completely arbitrary, since the categories really are flavors/coalition members of the Republican party, and the candidates do reside in them. Are you talking about how the endorsement jumps wouldn't look as long if the circles were in different places?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's surprising when you look at them politically, but not when you look at them personally, since they're both corrupt bullies from adjacent states.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

I really hope they didn't chose the most flattering keyframe to display because JFC.

Edit: On the 5-turdy-8 theme it looks like Nate is giving birth to the black baby jesus in that photo.

More edit: I watched the video. Nate is def sitting on a warm turd. Also the key frame might actually have been the best single frame in the vid.

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

look at the top of his head

Do I have to?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

They talked about this concept with Rubio, but I think it will apply to Johnson in the general: he doesn't have a base of support. Not many people dislike him, but no one would claim him as their first choice.

If you're a leftist he's worse than Hillary or Trump.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

"Who could have seen me being happy, clearly the problem is that this is a once in a lifetime event and not my complete ignorance of everything that made me famous"

In fairness to Bad Hair Nate (I'm working on Trump-style epithets) the GOP primary really was a once-in-a-lifetime affair this cycle.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

look at the top of his head

No.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

NATE!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

https://twitter.com/Patrick_J_Egan/status/762347138042986496

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

eviltastic posted:

Yeah, it was pretty pitiful. He seemed caught completely off guard by a boilerplate "I'm offended you're even bringing up race" line. Like, what, did you expect Frank Luntz of all people to be ready to speak plainly about that? Maybe in addition to showing up to an interview with a sorta-relevant poll, you have stuff the guy himself previously said to the Atlantic or Fox News or speaking at colleges or what have you on the subject you're interviewing him about? The guy's own work provides all you'd need for a followup, if you're too polite to bring up the fact that the party kinda nominated a guy who keeps doing a racism.

What the gently caress. These guys need to stick to statistics and quit being interviewers.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

http://www.clickhole.com/article/playing-it-safe-nate-silver-will-spend-next-month--4742

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Despera posted:

And a 50/50 outcome makes no prediction.

Yes, they're right. If you say there's a 50% chance of something occurring with only two possible outcomes, it means your model doesn't know what is going to happen. It's the model equivalent of throwing your hands up in the air and saying "who knows?" The theoretical perfect model would only assess either a 0% or 100% chance to any outcome, and it would be correct every time.

:psyduck: Are these guys trolling?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why doesn't Nate just shave his head? He'd look like various psychic pop culture characters instead of a loving disaster.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

In his latest article Nate calls Anthony Weiner "tragicomic," which I appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:stonk:

• Locked thread