Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

You know what that image is about, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

Russians didn't have to either.

But apparently they tried!

El Scotch posted:

I think they put some extra ventilation holes in the t72's in Iraq, too.

Those were so the souls of the damned could escape.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kiejzar posted:

If you haven't noticed, I am arguing against complacency, not repeating Russian propaganda... People in Poland who know alot about tank warfare are right now concerned that we have exactly one weapon system that can harm new Russian hardware - Israeli-licensed Spikes.

I sincerely doubt that the T-90 or T-72 is safe from the Abrams, and vice versa :ssh: Its more likely the tank was hit 8 times in the right places by poorly trained AT operators than that it actually survived correctly placed hits 8 times.

Regarde Aduck posted:

If an Abrams can't hurt a lovely T-72 then what chance does a T-90 have of hurting it? Or did Russia become superior in both Armour and Gun systems while no one was watching? I'm pretty sure Russia has always lagged behind in Sabot ability not counting the new untested Vacuum-1 ammo that the T-14s are supposedly getting. I'm getting so loving tired that people think a country that spends the same budget as Italy on its military is somehow making all these super weapons.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 8, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you have a source?

The larger point is though, the whole idea of having a pair of tanks facing off and shooting each other in the turret face is a lousy basis for comparison. I doubt that thing about Russian tanks taking 8 ATGM hits without even suffering a mobility kill (nothing hit a track even once?) but some rebels with 1980s Fagot launchers is not a networked opponent with air support, precision artillery, and fancy ATGMs with features like top-attack. Even if you can survive a turret face hit from a 120mm gun inside 1.5 km it would be dumb to base doctrine on the idea that your tanks will survive being seen and targeted by a peer opponent.

This thinking is sort of the same as yours in that you envision a worst-case scenario on the attacker side and plan from there, but from the perspective of protection the situation is tilted against protection. You might be nervous about getting a kill on a Russian tank, but you've got multiple attacks per tank. The protection guys are way, way more nervous about taking a hit because you only get one tank per tank.

Not to mention: The TANK may survive the hit, the crew may be so injured and disoriented they won't be retaliating.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
They've already said the air assets are staying in Syria, so yeah take this with a massive grain of salt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

That one got to me. They're so damned brave, holy poo poo.

:ohdear: I just want to hug them and tell them the world isn't as cruel as people make it seem to them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The hateful are just the most vocal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brown Moses posted:

As for Ted Postol, I keep meeting people from MIT who give me the impression he's seen as a fringe figure among his fellow academics, and it was me and Dan Kaszeta who got invited to the OPCW's anniversary event, not Hersh and Postol.

There's a couple MIT professors like that, including a Computer Science professor with an unhealthy obsession with the dangers of GMOs, and MIT was previously funding work by the goofball who says that GMOs are dangerous and claims he invented email, but they cut him off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kalstrams posted:

That's Beethoven's Symphony 7, Movement 2, by the way.

My favorite.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Emanuel Collective posted:

No idea if this is legit, but it's apparently CCTV that captured the crash. Plane looks like it's nosediving full-speed into the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqU-saaGUU

And was on fire while going down..... :tinfoil:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Poles are destined to become the Sardaukar of Europe - hardened by their nation's insufferable politics, led to blind loyalty to authorities and indoctrinated to hate Russia unconditionally, they will be the bulwark against Russia, and the shock troops of our future push against the Bear.

They have already started the process of turning themselves into a militarized, cult-like society. Now we just need to hope there are no Fremen in Siberia.

Does that make Russia the Harkonen?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

alex314 posted:

Is there any doubt?

So that makes the US the Atriedes?

Oh god :ohdear: And Spice is a Petroleum reference. poo poo!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Palpek posted:

How exactly are they planning to track if somebody is going to have a same sex marriage?

Christian Gaydar.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Palpek posted:

One of the worst things about that abortion ban idea not mentioned yet is that because of women being held legally responsible for getting one...every miscarriage would have to be investigated by the police as a potential crime. Imagine how that would go given how bad Polish police already is at treating crime victims (zero psychological training) and now they'll be asking every women who lost a child 'why did you abort your baby?'

So how long till Poland just has papal police?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

But do they have investments in Trump :smuggo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

-Troika- posted:

Has anyone ever proven any real ties between Trump and Russia other than "some staffer once worked for some Russian organization"

Trump supposedly has difficulty getting loans from US banks, and has some German bank assets. Supposedly, its a bank known for having Russian ties.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

She wasn't instrumental to the protests in any way. She didn't call for them, she didn't lead or coordinate them. What her de-facto deportation means is that there is no-one who can even claim to be the leader, and there is no opportunity for dialogue, so the only path right now, and it's scary beyond belief, is escalation of street violence and Lukashenko is the one to blame for it.

From her video, obviously taken under duress, it seems they were threatening her children.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Prepare yourselves for Russian occupation of Belarus

Will happen before Nov 4th optimally.

There's been tracked flights by official Russian Diplomatic aircraft in and out of Belarus since it started, so entirely possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1297582261118865409?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Undercover tried to grab a guy off the street.

It did not go according to plan:

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1300117154759614464?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HorseBodyInspector posted:

Polonium in Litvinenko was found by chance, if you don't look specifically for it there is small chance you find it. If I remember correctly, it was found only because urine and blood samples was sent to "nuclear research facility" (nuke assembly) and one of technician recognized polonium pattern from spectrometer. If Litvineko died few days sooner, cause of death would be unknown.

Though once you find polonium, it is easy to track it origin to specific reactor.

I suspect even if he'd died sooner, there would've been an intensive autopsy given who he was.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

It was doctor who admitted Litvinenko saying in documentary, (as I remember). Again if medical staff didnt come with idea: "I have friend in nuclear research facility" and if technician who worked with polonium didnt looked on spectral analysis of his urine nothing would be found.

Autopsy would reveal massive internal organ damage, not Polonium itself.
Polonium is alpha emitter which is not penetrating radiation so normal radiation counters are useless.

What I am trying to say, using Polonium, even if it appears counterintuitive (especially now, when we now FSB is willing to use it) was good way to kill somebody without trace.

edit: But now appears they don't give poo poo what rest of the world thinks. Putin&co seems went full dark side after Crimea.

There are very few things other than cancer that do systemic damage like that. Its not as stealthy as you think (I went to school for nuclear fuels). There would be an autopsy, the massive organ failure would come into question, and someone would eventually notice even if they hadn't caught it earlier.

He was in the middle of exposing multiple Russian crimes, he wasn't going into the dirt without an inquest. And the fact that he was meeting, and known to be meeting with, Russian agents who have a history of using radioisotope poisons, it would've come up eventually.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

It is not my thinking. It was doctor/experts saying in BBC documentary. Maybe they are wrong but I still choose to believe them.

Probably this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8tJzsFEq8M&

Fair enough.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Warning, this video is LOUD

https://twitter.com/stealthygeek/status/1304967421334355968?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LithuaniaMFA/status/1308807289093197826?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Social Engineering works both ways, folks. That's a masterstroke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brown Moses posted:

I've had to sit quiet about this for a week, what they pulled off was incredible, Navalny not only maintaining his composure but also badgering him into confessing was quite a feat. We're planning to turn all the Russian spy stuff into a podcast and then work on making it a TV documentary.

Not only did they fail to kill him, but he then social engineers them into spilling their guts on the phone. It really is an over the top achievement.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

Probably preferable to having to continue going to work after a fuckup like that :v:

Yeah I figured they are likely on a FSB list somewhere after the first Bellingcat report...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1357377484266692611?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Russia's been mobilizing assets, and it seems likely they want to take a drat Ukraine setup post Crimea annexation

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1377432142867664899?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 1, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its even worse because its a "sphere of influence" to defend an illicit annexation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I seriously wonder how much brain damage someone needs to have to make the "Guys it's not imperialism it's a sphere of influence" argument.

That's why they show down MH17, it was in their sphere of influence :thunk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Necronormiecon posted:

This entire Daily Beast article is JUST :piaa:

what

the

christ :allbuttons:

"By moving our borders we eliminate American influence, so lets move our borders all the way to the Channel"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

karthun posted:

When you classify trees as renewable anything can happen.

Yeah, Germany continues to be the textbook case for Greenwashing, shuttering their nuclear plants and now NIMBYism stopping their Renewables rollout so they are back to being dependent on Coal and Russian Gas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OddObserver posted:

SPD is up to being irrelevant while auditioning for Russian oil and gas industry jobs. Their foreign ministers have been utterly boot-licking of Russia compared to the overall Merkel government.
A potential Green government is gonna be weird, though, given their hate of nuclear, but gas is hardly green itself.

its not, but the greens have been pushing gas, hard. Hell, Greenpeace runs a Gas reseller in Germany that they bill as "Green Gas". Their hypocrisy is amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenpeace_Energy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ukraine is part of Russia, this checks out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1384597999809175559?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mokotow posted:

Gas is propping a large part of the economy, and Europe has been setting up alternative sources of gas and alternative to it for years now. And it wouldn’t be something *that* unforgettable, would it? I think he’s overselling his capabilities here.

Germany doubled down on, specifically, Russian gas, so no they are on the hook still.

And the EU itself basically decided Natural Gas was "Green" further emboldening a dependency on Russian sourced gas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Congrats you fell for Putin's schemes as a russian cyber attack ruptures the East Coast's oil supply

"Fell for Putin's schemes" half these Oil Industry networks are a joke, not much scheming required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1403032603515621380?s=20