Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Please excuse the google translation.

quote:

They HURT YOUR LAPTOP HARD DISK

The bastards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Germany's green energy:

gently caress you, planet

You're next, you stupid little town

Good thing it renounced dirty nuclear power! The environment is all the better for it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thatim posted:

It is waiting for the first proper large scale battery. Solar and wind are pretty good of itself, but not without storage.

The best storage is in hydroelectric dams, but there are relatively few of them since they require specific geographic conditions -- you can burn coal anywhere, but you'll need mountains to build a dam. The largest pumped storage power plant in Europe is in France, with just 1800 MW. Based on this, pumped storage hydroelectricity represents just about 1% of total electricity production in Europe.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

This just reminds me of DDees, somehow.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Back To 99 posted:

Russians were in Crimea before the Tatars so how can they be the original inhabitants article?

If by Russians you mean "Kievan Rus'" then you'd be right, but this only proves that it rightfully belongs to Kiev, that is to say, Ukraine.

Otherwise, the Crimean Khanate was established before there even was a Russia. And anyway, the original inhabitants of Crimea were the Greek, followed by the Venetians and Genoese. Which would mean that the rightful owner of Crimea is the European Union.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

szary posted:

It's just C.Y.A. procedure, the prosecutor is more than happy that she'll be able to discontinue the investigation due to being unable to identify the author of the comment. Unfortunately or fortunately, even the most absurd crime reports have to be at least cursorily examined before being dismissed, I once saw a criminal file where some poor cop had to type out a 20-page statement from a loony who showed up at a police station and reported a vast conspiracy by atheists and communists to commit genocide against Polish catholics, and then various courts had to consider his appeals when the case got shut down for being nonsense.

And then he was elected President.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

I just love that NATO has to be NATO / OTAN just for the french.

Don't forget half the Belgians and some of the Canadians!

English and French are both official languages of the organization, it's been like this since it was created, deal with it. :frogc00l:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just because someone speaks French doesn't mean they're a crybaby about their language not getting the respect it deserves.

Because the French are massive crybabies when it comes to language. Like, I'm pretty sure every single field, from politics to architecture to science has had some French dude crying about English superseding French in some organization, and probably leaving it or starting his own rival organization that respects the French language.

The one who is a crybaby about language here is the one who is going "boohoo why do languages other than English exist". NATO has two official languages, deal with it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mobby_6kl posted:

We really should've just kicked France out for good for their backstabbing ways. Two problems with one stone!

Feel free to start a petition on change.org.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arglebargle III posted:

Will the Russian terrorism law change anything de facto?

I don't think so?

And honestly it doesn't seem to be worse than antiterrorism laws that have been enacted in the west...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ultimately, I don't consider Russia to be a rule of law country, so it doesn't really matter what their laws say or not. Heck if they can legally put in jail anyone for flimsy reasons, then maybe they'll merely put them in jail instead of having the mob murder them (just ask journalists and political opponents), so ultimately regressive and repressive laws might be the more humane approach.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm perfectly fine with other languages than English existing, hell, one of them is my mother tongue. I just think it's ridiculous that the French want to waste everyone's time and money foisting their language on organizations like it's some sacred thing instead of just being pragmatic and using the lingua franca.

And I just think it's been like this since NATO was created in 1949 and whining about it now is what is really a waste of everyone's time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Russia Today talking points, uncritically accepted as gospel. Can't say I find this surprising, we've seen the same comments everywhere, sometimes even in this thread.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

In short, this is an unconstitutional law no one has the infrastructure to accommodate, [or] the funds to pay for
In other words, a run of the mill anti-terrorism law.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

Do folks have any thoughts on Sputnik? It seems to be a new generation of RT- with more thought and craft going into its propaganda.

They killed RIA Novosti for that. Novosti was of much better quality and relatively reliable, which is why it had to be killed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

slavatuvs posted:

RT made a cool super deceptive map about the new NATO deployment.

So basically the NATO deployment will not really change anything to the balance of forces, except perhaps in Estonia? So it's a purely symbolic gesture of solidarity between allies? Thanks Russia, it's nice of you to recognize that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

slavatuvs posted:

The map is flawed. There are a lot more than 30,000 troops in the west of Russia.

Well of course, plus there are Russian troops in Crimea and Moldova (Transnistria), to say nothing of Donbas. I'm just talking about the blue forces here, the light blue NATO dots are insignificant compared to the dark blue dots. Even with Russia's exaggerations and lies, the NATO reinforcement does not provide a meaningful change to the balance of power in the region, making it purely a token gesture of solidarity, even though Russia is trying to portray it as mean old nasty Uncle Sam preparing to savagely invade poor defenseless and peaceful Mother Russia.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly because British people tend to think that all our petty thieves & so forth moved here from Eastern Europe. Despite petty crime existing before Britain was in the EU.

Well all the British petty thieves were sent to Australia, so it'd make sense that if any petty thief exist in Britain now, it's because they came from some other country.

Look at it this way: you get to be Eastern Europe's Australia.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Pale Horse posted:

I don't really watch TV anymore but this came across my facebook feed.

This is the sort of stuff that gets trotted out when you appoint Catholic fanatics to run your TV station:

The question posed to the audience is "Are modern day Jews responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus?"

As you can see the audience is very divided in the matter. :saddowns:

This reminds me of an old poll some pranksters ran in the 1990s. They'd phone people and ask them "so if you look at a calendar, you'll notice that New Year's Day 2000 will fall on a Friday the 13th. Does that seem like an ill omen to you?" and they of course got more answers along the lines of "yes" or "no, I'm not superstitious" than of people noticing the contradiction in the premise.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Brown Moses being in Turkey during the coup will hardly help the CIA conspiracy theories - even though I feel Russians are in favour of the coup, popularly.

Brown Moses will be the reason why the coup failed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

Turkish forces occupied and cut power to the Incirik US Air Base for a few hours, which held Ballistic Missiles. We goons feared today that Turkey was stupid enough to start a loving war with us and WWIII, etc for several hours until defcon reported that they had left our base a while later. Still makes you think how quickly Cuban esque crises could escalate though.

Incirlik isn't a US base, it's a Turkish base belonging to Turkey's Turkish Air Force of Turkish Turkey, and it merely happens to be graceful host to US and other NATO forces, which are there as guests, and not as lord proprietors. In fact the US had to negotiate with Turkey to be allowed to use the base for raids against Daesh.

And the US nukes in Incirlik are gravity bombs, not ballistic missiles. Nuclear sharing is done only with gravity bombs.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rincewinds posted:

Heard about it on the radio the other day, rather shocking that 20 years later somewhere between 2.5 - 5 % of Bosnia is still hazardous due to mines, with floods moving mines to "safe" areas.

We still find unexploded ordnance from 14-18 in northeastern France to this day... Here's a pic showing in blue all the conventional bombs and in red all the chemical bombs, remnant of WW1, found in France between 2008 and 2011. (Sorry, didn't find something more recent.)

15 tons of chemical weapons unearthed every year, to this day, over one century after the war. Industrial warfare fucks up the land something fierce.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jonnypeh posted:

I was talking about wartime army anyway. Because other than military exercises, why else would one call up reservists?

Looking at France, you call up reservists when your politicians keep expecting to use the army everywhere both in-country and abroad while at the same time slashing budget and downsizing because Austeriteus Vult.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I guess Poland is trying to get in the news for something else than their awful government.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How convenient of Ukraine to wait until Russia has moved heavy military materiel in Crimea to perform some (obviously failed) provocative sabotage attempt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's a decade old, but it ought to still be about the same, unless there have been dramatic shifts in potato world.

Looking at this, I suggest making Rwanda an honorary Eastern European country.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

Of course there was the obligatory shitstorm when the new Weissbuch for the Bundeswehr hinted at maybe we need to defend ourselves against Russia a little bit more? But apparently everyone immediately forgot about that, since I haven't seen it mentioned in the news again. So I guess all signs point to Germany rearming, I guess. :shrug:

The broomsticks will be upgraded to vacuum cleaners.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It'll prevent Russians from looking at foreign lies, and also more importantly will prevent British bloggers from looking at the VKontakt pages of Russian soldiers. It's simpler than teaching your army how to do OPSEC.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DangerousDan posted:

Have actually considered writing a paper on the weird crossover between Tsarist-era nostalgia and Stalin-era nostalgia. It seems so bizarre to Western outsiders..

Why? It seems pretty straightforward to me. Tsarist Russia was a stronk authoritarian empire; Stalinist Russia was a stronk authoritarian empire; people who want a stronk authoritarian empire are nostalgic for when it was so.

The differences in ideology between monarchy and soviet communism take second place, what matters is nationalism, strenkth and authoritarianism.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This kind of stunt is a good way to get yourself killed. E.g.:

quote:

Their shouts of "Allahu Akbar" from an army truck caused one local restaurant owner to pull out his shotgun

Also I'm always amused by those people who believe pigs to repel Muslims in the same way garlic repels vampires.

quote:

Tomio Okamura, an MP who heads opposition movement Dawn of Direct Democracy, told people to walk pigs near mosques as an "instruction for the protection against Islam" in a Facebook post last year.

(Also, I found the name not very Czech-sounding and looked him up. You'd think someone who got bullied presumably for being foreign would be a bit more tolerant...)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DangerousDan posted:

It's the same thing when you see the Azov Battalion doing Nazi salutes and posing with Swastikas. It's like - dude do you not realize what Hitler thought of Slavs lol.

Dude, that's nothing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

The government of Poland plans to introduce a law making it a crime to imply the country bears any responsibility for atrocities carried out on Polish soil by Nazi Germany.

People could face up to five years in prison if found guilty.

The bill was drafted in part as a response to the phrase "Polish death camps" which often appears in the foreign media as a shortcut term.

There is, perhaps, one tiny insignificant problem with this plan, namely that that "foreign media" happen to be foreign, i.e., not under Poland's legal jurisdiction.

Polish death camps, polish death camps, polish death camps! Can't arrest me, neener neener!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yes Russian

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LeoMarr posted:

Sorry let me address this, I dont meab literally drag out a 500 lb bomb and drive itbibto parliment. By utilize I mean take that bomb and use the a. Similar to what occures in the ME on a daily basis. UED is recycled every single day in the ME, where most of the foreign fighters go to jihad-college of baghdadi knowledge.

Let me rephrase the question, Could ISIS use the recycling of UED tactics that are used in ME conflicts in europe; with that fact that drat near every country has UED fields litteref with poo poo ranging from arty rounds to 500+ lb bombs.

All the unexploded bombs and shells that remain after all these years are remaining because they haven't been found yet. All those bombs that were sitting around on the surface in plain sight have been taken out already. And when one is found, usually as a result of digging in preparation for building something, authorities are alerted immediately and they send a bomb team to safely dispose of it.

So Daesh agents would have to be the one to find a bomb, and for that they would have to be searching for them. Which is going to be quite difficult to do discreetly. I mean if a bunch of people with Arabic sounding names are renting some earthmovers to plow through someone else's private property, that's probably going to be noticed.

It'd be much simpler to smuggle fresh unexploded ordnance from Syria...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Aliquid posted:

if anything, The Sum of All Fears taught me that the only person organizations need to use WMD's is an ophthalmologist

wait

Assad is a topic for the Middle East thread.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Seriously though, to my ears a peasant + greens party seems a little strange, since I'd normally assume the two would be opposed politically on many fronts. What kind of policies do they support?

It's not that surprising. From western Europe, there's the example of José Bové, the guy with the Gaul mustaches who dismantled McDonalds and tore out experimental fields of GM maize crops, who created the "Peasant Confederation" (a trade union for farmers, which deliberately used the word "paysan" instead of the more modern-trendy "exploitant agricole" (agricultural exploitation manager) and is a prominent member of the Greens/environmentalist party. The big difference between the peasant confederation and the much larger "national federation of agricultural exploitation unions" (FNSEA) which on the other hand is fiercely anti-environmentalist is how they perceive the farmer's job. On the peasants' side, it's mostly about quality: you'll see traditional cultivars, grown organically, with as many labels as possible. On the agricultural exploitation side, it's entirely about quantity, so you'll see the latest, most efficient genetically modified cultivar, tons of pesticides and fertilizers, animals raised in batteries by the hundred of thousands, etc.

I figure every time you have farmers calling themselves peasants, they'll be opposed to industrial methods, meaning that politically they'll be compatible with environmentalist and anti-globalization political platforms.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dragas posted:

In Lithuanian peasant is "valstietis" and farmer would be "žemdirbys" (literally "earth worker") but neither have negative connotations by themselves, no.

Etymologically, "peasant" is "country man/woman" and "farmer" is "employee". Both come from the Latin through Old French, peasant being derived from a word meaning "district" (which also gave the word "pagan") and farmer being derived from a word meaning "payment" or "contract" (which also gave the noun "firm" and the verb "confirm", for example). The original idea was that a peasant was someone from the land (not from the city, castle, abbey...) and a farmer was someone working on behalf of somebody else.

Of course these notions are mostly forgotten now and not much relevant anymore to the commonly used meanings, but that's the kind of things that might help choosing the best picks for translations. Sorry for the spergy :eng101: derail, I just love word nerdery. :)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Translating from the moon runes:

quote:

Fierce hell. Resolution of the arrest of a blogger: Catching Pokemon - "crimes against the constitutional order"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

treerat posted:

Also I learned today that Poles share the Deutsche word kartofle! The earth-apple carries memetic power.

And that comes from the Italian, meaning "little truffle"! tartufoli -> Tartuffel -> Kartoffel -> cartof, картоф, kарҭофель, kartul, kartupel, etc.

poo poo, :regd08: this thread is now about names for the potato.

The English term "potato" comes from Spanish "patata" which was a portmanteau between two different words from two different languages meaning two different vegetables: "papa" is Quechua for potato, and "batata" is Taino for sweet potato. Papa + batata = patata -> patate, potato, etc.

The "earth apple" analogy is found in French (pomme de terre) and Flemish (aardappel) and in several German dialects that use Erdapfel instead of Kartoffel, but you can also find "earth pear" (or "ground pear") in other German dialects (Grundbirne) which gave krumpli, krumpir, krompira, krompirja and crumpenă in various Balkan languages. It's also found in the archaic Swedish Jordpäron. Other names derive from places they were introduced, so burgonya is derived from Burgundy while brambor or bandraburca are derived from Brandenburg.

Outside of Europe, it was originally known in Iran as "Malcolm's plum" (ālū-i malqalm) and in some Chinese dialects as "earth fava bean" (土豆 tǔdòu). So the potato is an apple, a truffle, a pear, a plum, and a fava bean all rolled into one!

:goonsay:

Okay well enough of this dumb tangent.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Truga posted:

Obviously, this wouldn't be free either, there would have to be people monitoring this archive, and that's obviously what a southern european country heavily in debt should be spending cash on, infrastructure and people that watch over an archive of child pornography. The logic is just loving :yikes: Meanwhile, actual police officer wages are literally minimal allowable wage, because we gotta save a couple cents here and there in these hard times of crushing debt right?

Well, that way, if a cop is really hurting for money, they can blackmail a victim thanks to that big warehouse of child porn. Or sell some of it. See, the invisible hand of the free market wins again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

El Scotch posted:

The spark to light the overthrow of Putin has been lit.

Hmm, depends if he bans vodka too.