Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

Nowhere it is safe for gay people, as far as we are talking about Eastern Europe.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Do you just have all this at the ready? The way you keep pumping out statistical data and related links at a moment's notice is really impressive regardless of whether it's all posted in bad faith or not.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trogdos! posted:

Soon there will be The Catholic State videos with Poles blowing up EU officials cars with gregorian chanting playing on the background

Ave Maria!

Deus vult!

I hope at some point the Pope gets involved and the more conservative Polish priests go full schismatic and proclaim him the Antichrist.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

alex314 posted:

"We want it up the rear end too
Stop gay privilege"
Last one is a line from a polish comedy, probably has some extra meaning, I don't understand dresiarze-speak too well. It's also most likely shopped, poor grammar is a nice touch.

???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-Qtz70_z4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Young Freud posted:

Apparently Medvedev told an elderly pensioner there was "no more money" to pay pensions . In front of TV cameras. Russian social media has gone apeshit.

It's happened quite a while ago. Basically he said to a Crimean lady, when asked about small pensions, that their pensions are on the same level with the rest of Russia, and there's money to raise pensions for everyone, Crimeans will also have the raise. So it's slightly more nuanced than just him saying there's no money to pay pensions full stop, but he's phrased it in a somewhat dismissive and highly memetic way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

In Russia there are already statues celebrating Russian soldiers invading Crimea. Now there is one in Crimea:

It's better than the initial design:

People called it a man raping a cat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's an interesting conspiracy theory regarding those Russian football fans. Some people say that Putin has allowed the more aggressive ones to go to France in hopes or with his specific order to stir up enough poo poo that the next World Championship won't be in Russia, because there's simply not enough money to host it. It also would help to perpetuate already popular ideas that a) Russia strong and can totally take decadent Europe in a fight, b) the West doesn't want good things happening to Russia. It is really :tinfoil:, but if everything pans out right, conspiracy or not, Putin can definitely profit from it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

See if you can coordinate with Niantic/Pokemon Company to accelerate releases in Ukraine/Russia. Make the Kremlin a gym. Also the area just outside the gate of Ecuador's London embassy.

Peskov was actually recently asked whether or not there are pokemon in the Kremlin. He said that he didn't know, because the game isn't out yet.

This is real.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

So, since you seem to be in the know about how those sites fit into the propaganda networ, any idea how many people actually read them?

You can check the number of friends livejournal bloggers have on their profile page. If it's less than a thousand - divide it by two, if it's more than a thousand - multiply it by two, if it's over ten thousand - multiply by ten.

E: the number of comments is also very telling, but I'm too lazy to factor it into some meaningful formula.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 14, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair it probably is, given Russian orthodox church being basically just another propaganda bureau.

You'd be surprised, but UOC (MP) enjoys a considerable amount of freedom from Moscow. Only recently they've prohibited a priest from service basically for wearing a St. George's ribbon on Victory Day. Local priests may be more loyal to Moscow and more involved in pro-Russian initiatives, but Ukrainian Synod in general is very neutral.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

So neutral their big wigs refuse to stand up in memory of Ukrainian soldiers killed fighting against Russia, and some of their priests even refuse to hold funeral services for them.

Again, there's a difference between what local priests and even bishops do, and what Synod, i.e. UOC's local administrative council, proclaims in official documents. For example, that incident with bishop Onufri (just one bishop) was quickly addressed by UOC's press service people, who interpreted his alleged protest not as anti-Ukrainian, but as anti-war in general.

http://zn.ua/UKRAINE/v-upc-mp-obyasnili-pochemu-mitropolit-ne-pochtil-pamyat-pogibshih-v-ukraine-stoya-175494_.html

UOC is very afraid of any open confrontation with Ukrainian government, and try to keep their priests from any form of political involvement beyond regular social programmes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Onufri isn't "just one bishop". He is the head of the entire church!

I'll concede that his appointment was an attempt by Moscow to get more influence in light of ongoing events, but ultimately he is still just one bishop even if his title may suggest otherwise. Unlike Patriarch's, Onufri's actions informed more by local church politics than by anything else. When he slips up, the official version is always that he meant nothing controversial, and he can never state his real position or confront anyone openly.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Putin's been too busy sacking officials and stripping Crimea of it's autonomy to read DNC emails.

I'm not exactly sure what it entails for regular Crimean citizens. It's still a republic, so they keep their local autonomy to some extent (at least when it comes to elections, constitution, official languages, etc.), but it's clear that Crimean political leaders would need to go an extra mile to get to federal budget money now. Maybe it's supposed to be an anti-corruption measure, but I'm doubtful that the regional government is less corrupt than what they have in Crimea.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Skeesix posted:

Does anyone have the pictures from Yanukovich's compound? I seem to remember a golden loaf of bread.

Putin sure has a set type of useful idiot he prefers.

I've been to Kyiv last weekend, and the central square is swarming with people offering tours to the residence. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to go there. They still have ostriches there that tourists can feed.

As for the golden loaf, apparently, it was a joke present from some bakery owner, and it's not actually made of gold.

Unlike Yanukovich's toilet.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Queen of Romania died in Switzerland. Always find it puzzling there are people claiming to be Romanian royalty.

http://www.romania-insider.com/queen-anne-romania-dies-hospital-switzerland/

Why is it puzzling? The last reigning Romanian king is still alive.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I read articles like this and seriously wonder what purpose they serve.

Poland seeks to become mediator in pursuing closer relations between the EU and Belarus

And Poland always wants a seat on the security council next year.

Poland is acting very friendly towards Belarus lately. There are talks about simplifying the process of issuing Polish visas for Belarusians, huge programmes for exchange students, days of Polish culture in Minsk. It's nice, but so far Belarus was doing very little in return, as far as I know. I guess the security council seat explains it at least a bit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
First Sheremet and now Schetinin. Ukraine doesn't look particularly safe for journalists nowadays.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Everyone forgets Belarus. :belarus:

Not even remotely comparable to Uzbekistan.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dwesa posted:

I don't get how playing Pokemon Go in church insults religious sensibilities (who even notices?) or what damage it does to anyone, but eh... Russia. Better ruin some lives to ensure no kid is demonically possessed by an app.

He also made some comments about religion in the video. I haven't watched it, but the pokemon part has actually nothing to do with his arrest and its those comments that got him into hot water.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah there's no denying in him being an edgy militant atheist type, but by most standards there was anything barely worth mention in that regard, in the particular video. Still though, he's in trouble now for just being a smug teen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfMn1yahGYk

For sure. I just find it mesleading because internet media went for a more clickbaity angle with it, instead of highlighting the real problem which is Russian laws on religious intolerance.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dwesa posted:

It's also probably mix of nationalism and lack of any significant reforms. Maybe I am wrong, but there really never were any significant moderate movements, no protestant reformation to challenge them on their religious ground and bring something new, because it was always such a backwards country. State and religion (or lack of it) were pretty much always one, so they have a long history of church that is either backed by state (and backing state) or it is corrupted and controlled by state (bishops collaborating with KGB etc.).

Not quite. There are many different movements in ROC, it's just that a particular wing of the church is more prominent at the moment.

One of the most well-known confrontations between the official church and state was between Ivan the Terrible and Philip II, Metropolitan of Moscow, who was against oprichnina. Phillip II is still venerated as a saint and martyr for this.

But then there's Peter the Great forcing church reforms that abolished patriarchal government and made Synod a de-facto part of state government.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

treerat posted:

Hello friends, I have a minor polish grammar question but I don't want to derail this thread. So, Putin is bad. He taught me realpolitik like nobody else could cuz he's a worthless oval office and I thank/loathe him for that.

Fake content aside, how do I say "Polish potatoes, they are good." It's something like Polski ziemniaki, sa dobre but I don't really know the language and don't trust that. Also I learned today that Poles share the Deutsche word kartofle! The earth-apple carries memetic power.

'Polskie ziemniaki, więc są dobre' would be more correct in this context I believe.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's especially funny considering that Putin himself pushed for installing those webcams.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Enjoy the US pulling out of NATO and europe being too chickenshit and cowardly to actually fund any sort of european military and putin bullying or outright invading a big ol' sphere for him self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK67o8oI7wE

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

dex_sda posted:

Dem is the only good polish youtuber

SA Wardega is also good, imo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Karmalis posted:

Wow, Putin has his own http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1269884 page. What a guy. Guess who's winning the Oscars this year.

Apparently many political figures do.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1682433/awards?ref_=nm_awd

Obama has two Grammies. Putin should probably have a talk with his agent about this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
With America aligning with Russia, it comes as a bit a of surprise that Lukashenko calls current conflict in Ukrain a war for independence.

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/01/27/lukashenko/

Lukashenko posted:

We didn't pay too high a price for our independence. All nations fought wars for it, and the brotherly nation of Ukraine is fighting for it even today. We should never allow it come to war, though. We are peaceful people.

My guess is a European credit is on the way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Belarus is going to allow a five-day stay in the country for foreign citizens without obtaining any visas or registration. Understandably, Russia now wants more control over the border.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Young Freud posted:

poo poo's going to blow up in Belarus, isn't it?

No.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ratpick posted:

Hey, if we have any Belarussian goons or people with knowledge of that country, I have a question.

A couple of years back I met a couple of Belarussian dudes. They told me that after decades of Belarus aligning itself with Russia both culturally and politically, there's been a resurgence in trying to build a more Belarussian identity and this has been done with the blessing of the government. They specifically told me that this Belarussian identity harkened all the way back to when Belarus was a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. How much truth is there to this? Has there been a visible change in Belarus in how they align themselves culturally?

No, unless you believe Russian websites like Sputnik and Pogrom. According to them evil Belarusian nationalist are about to start beating up anyone who speaks Russian any day now. In reality some statues of historical figures got installed and that's about it. Maybe more ads are now in Belarusian, hard to say, but no real effort is made to promote the Belarusian language either. If you read the official newspaper of the Belarusian army, it's full of stuff like calling Kalinouski and Kosciuszko traitors of the Great Russia. And that's about the only paper that cares about that. Everywhere else Belarusian history only exists in the context of USSR and WWII. There was also a fairly recent closure of a historical magazine that would emphasise the Grand Duchy of Lithuania's role in Belarusian identify.
I am normally somewhat pro-Russian, but that sort of sensationalism bullshit really pushes my buttons. The most annoying part is that some Belarusians now begin to believe it, too, which is insane.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Karmalis posted:

Wait, so how do Belorussian see themselves historically and culturally? Is there some sort of a divide in that area?

The majority of people, I'd say, see themselves as Belarusian only as opposed to Russians, Ukrainians and Polish. Then there are many people who consider themselves Russian/Soviet Belarusians with no particular emphasis on either part (around 35% according to some polls). Not many people draw their identity primarily from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, though. Even the opposition celebrate their unofficial Independence Day on the day when BPR was established (in 1918). Belarusian identity is very young, indeed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Libluini posted:

How is that fine even supposed to be enforced? Aren't you basically fining people for not having money, which makes no sense? Will the government just spend tons of money on bureaucratic regulation for what will effectively be just a reduction in unemployment support?

That's not how it works. You only pay the new tax (~$200 a year) after you, as an employable adult not on pension/maternity/paternity leave, stay unemployed for more than six months and declare no income. The real reason this law was introduced is to force freelance workers to come clean, which is a stupid and backward way of approaching the problem, obviously.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Some of the protests seem to be from people dealing with things like cancer treatment, which seems like something they could address, too.

Depends on its severity, but cancer usually allows to claim disability benefits. In this case the law also doesn't apply.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Meet the next Belarusian president, a timid man in an ill-fitting suit who rambles about some nonsense and promises to undo every mistake of Lukashenko's government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vEKtkHG2oY

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Charliegrs posted:

Well according to this article:
https://theaviationist.com/2017/02/22/u-s-wc-135-nuclear-sniffer-airplane-has-left-the-uk-heading-towards-norway-and-the-barents-sea/

There's a higher level than usual of a radioactive element in the atmosphere over Eastern Europe and that might be why the sniffer plane has been flying around more frequently

Lol if they just didn't account for Chernobyl.

This could be a plot for a spy movie, actually. Terrorists steal a whole bunch of nukes and hide them in Pripyat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

An ironic place to spell Belarus as "Byelorussia".

That was the standard spelling back then.

A Pale Horse posted:

Is Batka losing his poo poo or is this normal for him? He seems to be floundering around a lot recently, first making conciliatory noises towards Russia, then antagonizing them, then trying to make good with the West, then accusing them of directly opposing him. It brings to mind a landed fish, flopping around on the deck of the boat, not realizing its already dead.

It's definitely much more complicated that usually. The most suspicious part in the whole ordeal is that Russia remains relatively silent. Normally protests would be all over the news with reported ties to Ukrainian revolutionaries, American ambassadors, etc. But the coverage is really sparse. It may indicate that Russia isn't interested in helping Lukashenko anymore. Despite Lukashenko's gaff about training camps, he is actually more cautious than usual and even slightly apologetic about the controversial law.
Some additional 'security' measures were taken, too. You won't be able to buy tickets to Minsk online today, in some schools children are required to attend/stay after classes on Saturday, and some other small things.
The reason behind it is that massive protests previously happened around elections, and no one was expecting anything as massive.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 24, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Have the protests in Belarus continued or fallen off? What's the best English-language source for news out of the country? Googling 'belarus english news' gave me several obvious state propaganda mouthpieces and some sketchy-looking URLs that I refrained from clicking on.

Try Euroradio http://euroradio.by/en.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SaltyJesus posted:

Poroshenko and the Rada just banned a bunch of Russian web services, social networks etc. including VKontakte, Odnoklassniki, Yandex, Mail.ru for three years

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/World/2017/May-16/406005-ukraine-blocks-popular-russian-social-networks.ashx

:ussr:

mail.ru has a page in FAQ where they explain how to access banned sites through proxies. Probably wasn't there before.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nice. Russia conditionally sentences a vlogger to 3,5 years for what amounts to edgy atheist videos on youtube, and Ukraine just couldn't wait even a week to sentence a student for the terrible crime of posting Lenin's quotes on facebook. I guess he's lucky it wasn't in vkontacte. Could have added another year to the sentence.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Canadian IT companies have offered to make a social network website for Ukraine if 50,000 people sign up by June 1.

http://www.ukrainians.co/

Yes, a country-specific social network. It works in China, so it'll probably work in Ukraine! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It works in Latvia too, but we aren't exactly social to begin with.

Yours had an advantage of being developed in 2004. Unless Ukraine also plans to ban Facebook, I've no idea how they plan to compete.