Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In my language, democracy in the dictionaries is defined as:

quote:

politična ureditev z vladavino večine, ki varuje osebne in politične pravice vseh državljanov
which translates to "political system with a majority rule, that protects the rights of all citizens" or thereabouts.

In my opinion, this is the only correct definition, anything else is a tyranny of the majority, not a democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Which is why enlightened absolutism is the best way to go for most places right now :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SaltyJesus posted:

That particular phrasing is somewhat funny considering the existence of https://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izbrisani

I'm just giving you a hard time, Slovenia seems to be doing a few things better than the rest of us Yugos

e: Haha, my post even combos with

Yeah, the whole erased thing is super hosed and unfortunately the people responsible for it won't be prosecuted at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SaltyJesus posted:

Can't we all just unite to stop Japan from exporting anime into other people's pop cultures?

Same, but with united states culture

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my point exactly

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/874547267642028032

is this the real life?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

But I don't hate Russia. Russia owns.

I just think Putin and his goons need to fall down a flight of stairs and break their necks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

What hasn't changed is Russians' abhorrence to making change for any bill larger than a 100RUB. More places take credit cards but I feel weird making credit card purchases for what amounts to $4.

But why? I used my credit card to pay 1 eurodollar cent the other day, I don't carry cash at all anymore, it's just more annoying to work with.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure the rampant rape problem isn't helping. There's estimates that about 40% women will get raped at least once in a lifetime.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm interested.
The short version is, we have this cargo port, it's a pretty popular one and it's been growing steadily since it's been opened in like 1960 or somesuch.

The railroad linking the port town to the railway network is literally a hastily put down single track though, made in the mid 60s for the needs of the port (and sponsored in big part by the local population). Last couple years, utilization has climbed to something like 90%, it's obvious we need more better yesterday.

So, some 10 years ago, the then ruling SDS picked a route and plan for the new railway to the port town. Lots of tunnels, some big bridges, high tech rail for fast trains, the works. Except now, those same people are trying to sabotage it now, because supposedly the route (that they picked) is far too expensive and bad by calling for a referendumb about it to delay it further. There's also a nice deadline for getting some EU cash for the railway right about now, which would make it much more affordable for us, and the construction permits are going to start expiring soon-ish if the construction doesn't start and then it's likely back to nimby hell for another 10 years.

The thing is, the whole project would cost only about 1b euros, and cost us some 300mil in EU funds less, which is pocket change over the 10 year period this has been dragging on now. Supposedly, this is ripping the taxpayers off, and we should totally delay/cancel the railway the region (arguably even the country) can't afford to not have to develop further, so we can save the poor taxpayers some change.

Because the wrong people are in power at the moment and if I can't have construction sector kickbacks, nobody can dammit :arghfist:

e: Oh yeah, the highways are filled with increasing amounts of cargo trucks too, and it's going to get far far worse in the next 5 or so years.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 8, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

This is running for president. loving :five: Translation:

quote:

Why I'll vote for Angelca for president?
1. Respects the God's 10 commandments.
2. Will help the young to apartments and better wages so they can make a family.
3. Knows workers and farmers should get a fair payment for their work.
4. Return respect to old moms and dads which the state constantly tramples on.
5. Will return a boy to their grandpa and grandma (this is a long story, but the gist is, the boy didn't like being with their grandpa/grandma so social services took him away).
6. ~prolife~, so she'll help moms in distress.
7. Extremely against putting terminally ill or old people out of their misery.
8. Will start the procedures to take back what the communist elites stole and give it back to families and children.
9. Empower the police and military, so they can effectively protect our women and children against Jihadi terrorists.
10. Will not allow the unfair real estate tax, that would tax the hard work and savings of people that invested into their houses their whole lives.
11. Respects the meaning of mom and dad, thus will prevent adoption of children into relationships of two men, women, trans or queersexuals.
12. Angelca will rule, which we'll elect, not puppets planted by the media and elites.

the not so funny part is, she'll probably get a couple % of the vote

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Err, sorry, yeah. Slovenia

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately, no.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

it's ridiculously stupid and specific and owns af. there was a hullabaloo about it a few years ago, and the ~family values~ people were downright enraged over it and I can't believe it's still a thing.

Young Freud posted:

Also, :lol: at "returning what was stolen by Communist elites". That poo poo was like almost 30 years ago. If it wasn't returned with the fall of the Soviet Union and the breakup of Yugoslavia, then you never had it in the first place.

You have no loving idea, the nutcases around here are 200% certain ~are country~ was stolen from us by the communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids.

When the communist regime collapsed, they expected to suddenly get voted into office and be in control because finally! we live in a free country. When this simply doesn't want to come to pass, election after election, instead of figuring out "hey, maybe nobody likes us because we're shitheads stuck in the 16th century", they decided that no, it's still the communists preventing them from achieving their true potential. Communists, obviously, also control all the media. Never mind the loving Roman Catholic Church owning some of the bigger stations for a brief time until they quietly bailed as they were quickly falling into insolvency. :laffo:

We did have a centre-right coalition once, and it turned out real well. They spent more money in the glorious booming economy of 2004-7 than even that economy could possibly support, figuring (as everyone did then I guess) they can just pay off any debt easily at current rates of incline, but when the reality of 2007-8 finally came crashing down on them, they froze in panic and did basically nothing until the election except blame everything on everyone else and hope it'd all go away. At least we got a couple nice high profile rich people in jail over that fiasco, so at least there's that.

oh and, if anything, denationalization went too far. half the country's forests are now owned by the church or other shady moguls that are in bed with them and the wood is being cut and shipped off to austria and then gently caress knows where for probably massive profits the country will never see a tax penny of because for some arcane loving reason religious organizations aren't taxed

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why is mexico so high? Cartels?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This war on drugs thing is going really well :smith:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lichtenstein posted:

what is even going on itt

heh, I read these on the local slovenian messageboards literally daily. People unironically arguing "who is worse, hitler or stalin tito?" in tyool 2017.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty silly comparison. Islamic State wishes they did as much damage as Russia.

A great many people don't even have Russia on their radar. I'm in Slovenia and Russia's poo poo barely ever makes the news, much less front pages and is under represented, often to the point one would think such a country doesn't even exist, in right wing media. Which is also obviously the loudest about the middle east.

Saying Putin is behind many of the far right movements around the world in public gets you branded as a conspiracy theorist, even, which is extremely ironic because these same people were scared shitless of Russia back when they were dirty commies not even 30 years ago.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to find an alternative less offensive than Pohar, but didn't so I didn't vote, since he's gonna win anyway. I'll probably show up for 2nd round to vote for him because he's a loving commie and it makes conservatives really angry.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, but the tax submission in normal countries is fully automated or requires minimal intervention.
:yeah:
My taxes are automated somewhere in the government, I sometimes have to pay a few bux or get back a few depending on how my wage or situation changed during the year, usually it's around 20-30 bux either way. I get that notice once per year, usually in may, along with how to pay any extra if needed.

I remember my parents spending a week or two each year doing their taxes and going through a bunch of folders stacked with bills and poo poo, and then later having quattro pro or excel sheets to fill out and print which shortened the process to about a weekend, to get a few 100 euros back from the state, and gently caress that noise. I'm glad I don't have to do that poo poo, it's a job for computers and accountants, not people.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Those guys sure are sporting some nice hijabs. I thought they were against that kind of clothes?

Paladinus posted:

'Europe will be white, or there will be no people left living there'

Wait a second, if you think that brown immigrants are going to take over, then how will there be no peop- ah, you don't see them as people, I get it, I get it.

No, see, what will happen is the arab people will gently caress everything up and turn it into a wasteland desert, same as what happened with their previous home. Which we certainly didn't have anything to do with :pseudo:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tevery Best posted:

No, it's "either we have it or nobody will".

I understood that correctly, but they don't really have any way of preventing others moving in after they all die?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
China is working really hard at that and they'll at best ruin a few % of its landmass, earth is pretty loving big. Also nobody is buying poisonous poo poo from Poland, so they can't afford to excavate it :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think Poland had much to do with western imperialism, seeing as it didn't exist at the time

They're in NATO now, you can't just take the good and ignore the bad. :rip:

https://twitter.com/Bart_Wielinski/status/929796225959907329

This also seems pretty hosed up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's straight up how some people act in multiplayer games. Collecting corpses of notorious enemies in eve online and similar.

But it's IRL :cripes:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Osmosisch posted:

Also, emigrating to PiS Poland to escape Brexit Britain seems like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face to me.

Being a polish citizen means you can go live anywhere in europe except britain at the drop of a hat.

Being a UK citizen means you can go live in post-brexit UK. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because that's their only option? Amazon isn't allowed to sell them in poland while ali express gives 0 fucks about that is my guess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kanine posted:

hey im curious about something, is there any significant presence of anarchists in eastern europe?

im just curious because a lot of the eastern european expats ive met seemed to be pretty into the idea after i talked about it with them since it took the concepts they saw as good about life under the soviet union and took away the stuff like authoritarianism/problems with central authority etc.

does any of the anecdotal stuff im saying here make sense or is this really just because i have a tiny biased sample pool of liberal expats who were even willing to talk to a leftist about politics in the first place

hi, i'm a realistic anarcho communist and understand it can never work with the human condition

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The situation with the new antonov planes seems really dire:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/rossiya-slams-an-148-reliability-347983/

quote:

The airline has been using the aircraft since June. In the three months to September, including aircrew training flights, the company's five An-148 aircraft flew 1,725h with Rossiya. In that time, 235 problems occurred, requiring over 2,000 man-hours of repair work.

In one 92-day period, one aircraft was unfit to fly for 89 days, Rossiya says.

Rossiya says incidence of technical failure in its fleet occurred once every 344h in the An-148, every 5,355h in its Airbuses, and 2,824h in its Boeing 737s.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Considering the record these planes seem to have, I'm going to bet on broken, though underpaid pilots loving up checklists wouldn't be something terribly new.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Got linked this, it owns af

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
he's been hinting he's too old for this poo poo for like 10 years now, lol

he literally can't retire because he doesn't have anyone who'd replace him though, afaik

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's a whole twatter of those: https://twitter.com/Gulay_Pole

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think it's supposed to be one of those icecream things with something written on it :v:

and yeah, it's for donating

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HorrificExistence posted:

It's so loving stupid is what it is. My god, an ICBM that can dodge ABMs with computers. The Americans have never thought about this! It's the classic Russian strategy of making something stupid and then telling everybody. In the US they make something stupid and don't tell anybody. That's the main difference.

lol yes they do, the entire arms race is who can market their useless overpriced military tech better.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HorrificExistence posted:

yeah, but when america makes rail guns and poo poo they release 1 slow motion video, not an cg cutscene of the railgun punching holes in the admiral Kusnetsov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oyCzT6sB_4
:colbert:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

Bee thieves can also be a problem, if rare. Last year some local bee keeper in Germany lost like 50k Euros worth of bees. Someone just walked into his forest and absconded some of his hives.

Also bees have been getting genocided in many countries recently, which I'm sure has nothing to do with climate change or all the barely tested high tech disruptive pesticides being used, no sir. https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/honeybees-decline-pesticides-study-a6925936.html

e: also, for how poo poo imported foods in EE can get, one just needs to try the warsaw pact nutella. at least the they try to make it taste like it's something else in the western versions, here it's just cheapest straight cocoa and sugar mixed from the nearest supermarket lmao

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 16, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
^^^ lol

also, elections here soon, and we all know what that means!
lovely right wing jumbos, stolen straight from orban

"a bit of statistics by the way: a green dragons/violets (local football fan groups) democratic meeting made for more felonies than half a million refugees passing the country"

Truga fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Broz1892/status/997558466507149312