Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
poo poo, Spring is even more packed than I remember it being.

Continuing

Concretio Revolutio
AssClass
Usio and Tora

Definite Watch

JoJo Season 4. This is the only part of the manga I've read, and it's amazing. Super hype.

My Hero Academia Just a really solid and fun shonen series with a cool artstyle.

Checking Out

No Chicks on the Internet: Will almost certainly be terrible, but how can I not?

Big Order: I...kinda like the name?

Flying Witch: I like witches I guess.

Girl Meets Bear: Bears are cool and popular at parties.

Iron Fortress: I fricken hate Zombie anything, but the trailer makes it look insane enough to be worth a shot.

Phoenix Wright: I have only played one Phoenix Wright game, mostly because I couldn't get past that one case that wanted me to blow my 3DS with greater vigor than I could manage. Should be fun.

Rinne: First season was decent-ish Takahashi light. On a less crowded season I'd be more likely to make time for it.

Sakamato: Never read the manga, but I've heard good things.

Twin Star Exorcists: The little bit of the manga I've read struck me as style over substance, but it's a cool enough style and concept that I want to see at least a bit more.

Looks like a season with a good number of shows that will almost certainly be good/decent and a bunch of wildcards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The artstyle for Season 4 JoJo looks way more animation friendly, I'm expecting it'll be at least a bit more fluid just from that.

Also I legit forgot Trigger had a show this season, I guess that gets an episode at least.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

grrarg posted:

There are still people without Prime?

But seriously, more western streamers competing is a good thing in the long run. Maybe the production committees will finally learn basic economics, that they can make money from general audiences instead gouging a few thousand broken brain otaku.

My concern is mostly that too much audience fragmentation through exclusivity deals might weaken streaming and cause a revival of fansubs as people get tired of having to sort through half a dozen paid streaming services every 3 months and just give up on legal streaming.

I already have subs for most of this crap and even I'm about ready to throw my hands up so I'm a touch worried how this is all going to pan out in the end.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah Hulu is a huge pain and I hate it, Daisuke I put up with that one time for One Punch Man but otherwise bleh.

Netflix is still basically useless for anime unless you're looking for older mainstream-ish titles you never watched. They also had a killer selection of old-rear end anime DVDs back in the day but I'm pretty sure those are 75% destroyed by now.

Funi is awful without a sub and OK with one (But probably the worst value for money just because the number of shows they get per season swings wildly) Crunchyroll is great but is apparently losing the bidding war to all the crappier services, Amazon Prime is actually a good deal just for the free shipping and member discounts so I guess I can live with it.

Still too many competing services for too few titles at the end of the day. Also I assume Viz grabbing Jojo means Hulu or bust?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Srice posted:

The most likely scenario is, unless there's a huge amount of buzz around those shows licensed by Amazon, most people probably won't even know they exist.

Last I heard they exclusively licensed the entire Noitamina Block, so it could go either way. Been kinda hit and miss lately TBH.

And it's not even really just the Amazon thing in itself. Every exclusive slice that goes to a new service is also reducing the number of series available to the established ones. Losing the Noitamina block is a blow to Funi in particular, for example. When every streaming site is wanting you to pay for like 4 shows per season, how many people are going to bother?

Meh, who knows how it will turn out in the long run. For right now at least it's becoming a bigger pain every season to try and follow things legally and it's hard to feel positive about it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Kuma Miko had a good start. A tiny bit slow though.

I liked it. Didn't seem slow to me either, aside from the bit with the Cops, and that felt deliberate.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I couldn't get past 10 minutes of Hundred, but it's looking like the Ur-Terrible LN adaption for the season if you're into that sort of thing.

Next up Cerebus, because I'm pretty sure it can't be any worse.

Edit: Cerebus status, better than Hundred, still laughably bad. The most entertaining thing about the show is the terrible names and aesthetics attached to almost everything. The Protagonist is a mysterious caped swordsman named Hiro, the evil dark lord Dagon Zot is a loving Zoid, and most of the weapon designs wouldn't look out of place on an episode of Power Rangers.

Ah well, I wasn't expecting anything on Mondays. Next up Motorcycle girls and Sailor Moon I guess.

Still a really good season so far of course.

madmac fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 4, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Ranma is a good read, not much reason to watch the show though. Rinne's a good show but I didn't read anything but the first chapter of the manga.

Inuyasha shouldn't exist.

Basically everything she's done that isn't Inuyasha is good, yeah.

And even then you can fix a lot of blame on Inuyasha being such a money printing operation that she wasn't allowed to shut it down for years and years and years. I mean it's bad either way, but being bad for three times as long doesn't help.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I still recall being surprised when I learned that the Ranma anime didn't actually adapt the whole series. Did it even get as far as Herb?

It got to roughly volume 20-ish, iirc. Last big fight was Cheerleader Martial Arts and last two episodes were introducing Ranma's mom.

They did some later OVA's but never touched Herb or any of the other somewhat more serious arcs. The movies are kinda anime original versions of the same idea, though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rodyle posted:

That sucks, some of the best stuff is in the back 3rd.

I do vaguely recall watching both movies one evening but I can't tell you anything about them, aside from the 2nd involving Ranma being collected into a harem?

I might be torenting both Ranma movies.

I only meant the movies hit the same themes in a very broad sense, both of them involve everyone teaming up to beat down some vaguely chinese looking bad guys or whatever. They're a decent watch though as far as anime original content goes.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

esselfortium posted:

Ranma's dub was pretty fun, though "best of all time" is a real stretch, especially considering that both of Ranma's voices change to different actors in the middle of the show. Akane and Shampoo had some great lines with hilarious delivery, though.

And then you also had this one-of-a-kind insanity.

Another problem I'm only now remembering with Ranma is that after a few seasons the show basically forgot about its defining gag. Ranma transforming used to happen pretty frequently and was used for great comic effect, but after a while they just stopped bothering, without finding any other effective humor to replace it with.

Looking back, the later seasons of Ranma were really, really poo poo. The animation quality fell off a cliff and there were whole seasons that were dominated by filler episodes when they weren't stretching out 1 or 2 chapter stories (Not even the good ones most of the time) to fill an entire episode.

Like, they took one of the worst stories from the manga (Martial Arts Tea Ceremony) stretched that poo poo out for several episodes when they could have covered it in one, and kept on milking those one-off characters (literally they never appear again in the manga) to make I don't even know how many awful filler episodes.

Not to say the manga was perfect, but it holds up a lot better than the anime, IMO. I especially like the last third or so of the manga compared to most of what was covered by the anime.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Honestly, I'm so sandbagged trying to keep up with this season I can't keep work up any energy to plan for the next one. I'm seeing a fair amount of stuff I've read or heard of though.

Arslan. -Wasn't a huge fan of the first season, but knight girl will bring me back.

Berserk -Maybe, just because I never actually watched Berserk and this sounds like a reboot.

Handa-kun -Because Barakamon was amazing. What's the deal here, anyway? Did the original manga wrap-up or is this a parallel spin-off?

Re-life -I've been reading the manga, it's decent. Makes me feel old as hell, but that's kinda the point so fair enough.

Sweetness and Lightning -Because the manga is great.

Monokean- This is the season for Crunchyroll manga, holy poo poo. The manga is alright in a chillax sort of way and the anime looks like it'll at least be hella pretty.

Taboo Tatoo -I'll give it a shot, but enthusiasm for the manga seems low so it's probably not great.

Mob Psycho -Obviously

Seven Deadly Sins -Right, that..was coming back. I'm ok with the manga but unless the second season is a step up in quality over the first I may not bother.

So pretty much a list of things I'm mostly lukewarm about, but fair enough for a summer season.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Couple of questions about the season thread OP:

1) Since people are saying that the studio alone is less and less of an indication of the quality of a show, I'm thinking about adding the writer to the show's listing. Good idea? Other staff that would be relevant? Maybe I'll also add some relevant previous projects to each person...

2) Is anyone actually using the streaming links or is the link to because.moe enough?

1. More info is cool, as long as it's not a bother. Though I personally think the director matters more than the writer.

2. I don't normally use the streaming links, mostly because I don't usually stream through my desktop. OTOH it's often a scramble at the start of a season to figure out who has that new show everyone is talking about so easy access can be helpful.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Good Shows this season:

Jojo
ReZero
My Hero Academia
Space Patrol Luluco

OK Shows:

Kiznaiver
Concretio Revolutio
Flying Witch
Netoge

Disappointing:

Kumamiko

I haven't watched Macross or the Netflix show or Kabeneri, and I'm not bothering with obviously terrible stuff like Hundred or Big Order that no one should have watched.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

watched a few eps of re zero, it could build tension and mystery reasonably well, but holy hell did the dialogue involving the mc irritate the gently caress out of me, he cant loving shut up

The nice thing about Rezero is that it improves with basically every episode, I wasn't too impressed with it at first but it ended up being probably my favorite show this season. It's also a clever enough show to reward re-watches, you can catch a lot of hints you miss the first time around after finishing an arc.

Subaru is also an interesting MC, he seems calculated to be likeable enough that you're happy when he triumphs and also annoying enough that you don't terribly mind seeing him brutally murdered for being an idiot.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 21, 2016

• Locked thread