Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Did you hear, guys? Shadow Complex is responsible for "Metroidvania!" http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/16/11249734/shadow-complex-remastered-now-available-on-xbox-one

quote:

Shadow Complex is perhaps best known as the game that took "Metroidvania" from ghoulish portmanteau to actual genre. If you missed it the first time around (and when it was remastered for PC last year), it's now available on Xbox One for $14.99.

Besides the obvious visual upgrades, Shadow Complex Remastered features new melee takedowns and challenges. The subset of players who don't have access to Chair's side-scrolling classic gets even smaller this May when the game comes to PlayStation 4 and Steam.

Thanks Justin! I'll be sure to update the Wikipedia to let them know that you've made this incredible decision regarding the legitimization of a dumbfuck word that makes me poo poo on command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
It's a mediocre game and a mediocre "Metroidvania." Also, written or at least co-written by Orson Scott Card, who is a terrific human being.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I thought that was Symphony of the Night.

Well, the difference is people care about Symphony of the Night.

I need to play it again, see if it's still any good. A lotta games from my childhood haven't been holding up.

I'm assuming Justin is 12 years old and thus Shadow Complex was introduced to him at a pivotal moment in his life.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
If you insist that Metroidvania is an actual game genre then you also probably think vaporwave is an actual music genre.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Dr Cheeto posted:

It conveys a complicated idea accurately and succinctly.

Metroid and Castlevana are complicated ideas.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Stux posted:

are u saying that in reality the uk isnt a grey, wet cold shithole full of old bad and ugly houses and buildings and systemically failing infrastructure but actually really good and all of that is in my head

Look, I've seen those Harry Potter movies - I know exactly what England looks like and what you all do.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Skeezy posted:

Good gaming to you all friends.

I've never been so insulted in all my life.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Stuntman Ignition is so good. It's so loving good. Holy jesus. We'll never get another one like it. Or Driver San Francisco.

They sit atop the pantheon of "Unconventional Racing Games What Kick rear end."

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Who do I have to kill to make a Test Drive Unlimited 3

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Looking forward to stuffing my nuts into the eyes of dipshits who honestly believed that VR would ever be a thing, or viable, or even good beyond the first 30 seconds of novelty.

What's the ratio of "Kinect enthusiast" to "VR proselytizer?"

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Sleeveless posted:

VR is one of those things that's really cool if money, resources, and time isn't an issue so it's limited almost entirely to wealthy tech spergs that can't relate to normal people, much like the Kinect or libertarianism.

So it's no coincidence that the whole thing was spearheaded my John Carmack.

Kinect is/was attainable by the common man. Kinect demanded real estate, and the camera itself wasn't all that expensive. That said, if you lived in a shoebox like I loving did when it came out, it was perfectly loving useless and unfun.

VR costs too loving much AND wants you to clear out your loving livingroom so you can pretend you are a mighty warrior walking from left foot to right foot. All that's a step too far.

No Such Thing posted:

I really want the opportunity to pants someone wearing a VR headset.

This is the kind of thing that needs to be Kickstarted GOD drat IT.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

PantsBandit posted:

I don't normally get like this about games but I was totally obsessed with getting every level in Ignition perfect. It felt really loving good watching the replays afterward.

This is normal behavior. This does not necessarily make you a "gamer." You can still go out during the night and enter a "bar" and pick up a girl. You can tell her what you did; she will be sufficiently impressed and decide you are a sufficient specimen what to fill her vessel with Good Seed.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Oh drat that reminds me of Abuse which was basically Aliens: The Game

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

icantfindaname posted:

agatha christie's not part of american nerd culture

Holy poo poo I worry about the garbage I post sometimes but then I get a gem like this and I realize that I'm not actually the worst

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
gonna phone all my HS buds who did Christie plays with me in drama class and let them know that it wasn't actually a common touchstone for the kind of people who 1) like to act and 2) played hands of MtG between loving takes

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Oh drat I forgot Mafia 3 is on the way this year

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Setting is late 60s New Orleans and you play a black guy back from Viet Nam trying to get he own empire going and Vito's back.

Game has a hell of a premise if nothing else. Mafia 2 wasn't an outstanding game especially in comparison to GTA, but the story and characterization were top shelf.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

ah jesus can i jack off to this anime or not!?!?!?? v. important

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
and maybe not a shocking reveal but the joker voice mail that plays after the credits have been running for like a minute in Arkham City blew my loving mind

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Stux is a piece of poo poo, this is my drive by shitposting

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
max payne in the rear end

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, sorry, this is the Contrarian Crew Clubhouse.

I thought this is where you go if you're not cool enough for videogame FYAD.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Golden Goat posted:

Ohhhh
Hyper Light Drifter is finally coming out soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWufEJ1Ava0

It's super pretty.

I was a fool and opted for the console upgrade and now who knows when I'll loving get it. :mad:

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
All this poo poo's gonna pop up in a indie bundle six months down the road and you can get them all for five bucks.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Also lmao at the multitudes of pissbabies crying about nerds getting Japanese copies of Dark Souls 3 three weeks ahead of US launch. Everyone's like YOU'RE VIOLATING YOUR TERMS OF SERVICE and THEY GONNA BAN UR ACCOUNT and like three people with a loving brain are all uhhhh that's loving stupid we're actually paying for the loving thing and it's a region-free console what's your deal and what it comes down to is a bunch of loving dipshit teens angry they can't get Mom's credit card to exploit the workaround so they have to watch their internet friends PREPARE TO DIE without them.

I tried the workaround but, at least on Xbone, MS has plugged the workaround which is fine; they just made the original Dark Souls backwards compatible on the Bone and I never finished it on 360 (did it on PC) so hell what better way to prep for DS3.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I am (marginally) fiscally responsible when it comes to my entertainment dollars.

Plus everyone in this thread has been saying I GOTS TOO MANY GAMES so what the hell, just wait. Or don't!

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
In this age you have to make a concerted effort NOT to achieve. Nintendo's the only company that doesn't have some persistent scoring system attached to user profiles.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Wait I remember why I didn't finish Dark Souls on the 360 it's because the bell gargoyles are loving bullshit and you can't summon help there because of a bug they never fixed.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

codenameFANGIO posted:

Summoning help is the only way I got passed it. Also Solaire is there. I am not even good at Dark Souls and I can lol at you over this

I have Lautrec's medal and I've of course talked to Solaire, but neither of their summons appear, nor do other players'. This wiki acknowledges the issue.

Incidentally, they are there for me in the PC version. So who the hell knows why I can't summon help on the 360 version.

edit: Just gonna be a bitch and reroll a sorcerer and ping my way through this game, gently caress it.

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 24, 2016

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Uh oh that Slain game is getting the business on Steam - mixed reviews, most of them saying the controls suck.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Sleeveless posted:

I really like WayForward, it's cool to know that whatever licensed trash has their name on it is still going to be at worst a competent game that you won't mind playing.

The Smurfs 2

Accordion Man posted:

It was, until that absolutely horrible post-final boss chase scene.

Haha yeah and it was loving miserable losing my last loving life on that sequence while trying to finish the game on extreme. :(

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 25, 2016

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
*slams door to thread open; has bedhead and a string of drool hanging from chin* I HEARD SOMEBODY TALKING ABOUT KANE AND LYNCH 2 AND IT WASN'T SCREAMING ABOUT HOW BAD IT IS *wipes mouth* Because it isn't. It is a great loving game.

edit: Seriously if any of you own KnL2 or wanna buy it during the MS spring sale get with me because I want to play and finish that game in co-op.

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 25, 2016

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing the first Uncharted now now and half the time I'm thinking I actually prefer this to the later ones and half the time I'm wishing I could strangle anyone who worked on it.

It's all so loving precious and everyone's a supreme wit and so god drat good lookin' and at no time - NO TIME - do you actually believe that ANY of the good guys are in any sort of danger and they might not actually achieve their goals.

See: Those loving Marvel movies or Firefly

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I just replayed the first level of K&L2 and yes god drat it this poo poo is slamming.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
No Man's Sky is going to loving crater as hard as Spore if not harder.

Also, has anyone played Stranger of Sword City? It's the dumbest loving name and it's anime as the dickens AND YET it appears to be as close as I'm going to get to a sequel to Wizardry Tale of the Forsaken Land.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I'll yield to that insight as I have absolutely no working knowledge of Starbound other than my contact assumption of it being "Terraria BUT IN SPACE."

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
That's a good Not-Quite-Games-FYAD #humblebrag ya got there :)

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not bragging, I seriously doubt someone else will come knocking.

E: This is bragging in the way saying "I thought I won the lottery but I was looking at last week's results" is bragging.

Sorry that's just my naked jealousy of someone working in an industry I wish I could even get a foothold in myself.

---

Playing the Stranger of Sword City trial and, I'm not loving lying - the premise is that you were on the Malaysaia Airlines crash of last year and you awaken in a FANTASY DUNGEON and it's up to you to... escape the dungeon, or whatever. I'm not loving kidding the goddamn opening video shows a KNIGHT glowering over a TV spitting news about a NORTH ASIAN AIRLINE that CRASHED over the PACIFIC OCEAN on it's WAY to ANCHORAGE ALASKA.

So I guess you're playing as the risen spirit of a level 100 weeaboo. loving stupid setup! Let's see if the gameplay overcomes the setting.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Stranger of Sword City is the Xbone game of the year. I have (re)embraced the anime, and am now eyeball deep in Wizardry-style stat noodling and class fuckery and drat it feels good to grind again.

Boner owners, give it a shot. The trial's 8 loving hours long; it's enough time to find out if this is your poo poo.

axleblaze posted:

Like with Cavia games, The Witness only really feels that way if you're a completionist, but the game gives you even less reason to do that and if the game is driving you nuts, there is no reason to keep playing other than making an arbitrary number go up.

Also if you give up then you're admitting that John Blow is smarter than you, and that everyone else who finished the game is smarter than you, and your one true love in the world gets an email showing an incredibly unflattering photo of you with the caption DO NOT MATE WITH THIS DIPSHIT in flashing letters.

But it's totally cool to not finish the Witness. It's fine. It's okay. It just means you're a complete loving moron.

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
WELL WELL ANOTHER INTELLECTUAL DULLARD

• Locked thread