Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Civil War has been clocked in at 146 minutes, making it the longest MCU film to date. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

My favorite thing is that whenever comic book :spergin:s complain about movies, it usually has to do with how there's it's not canon and this would never happen and blah blah, but when Zach Snyder says he's following canon they flip out and act like it doesn't matter, it has to be done they way THEY want it.

Case in point: Changing the ending of Watchmen from a giant squid wrecking New York to framing Doctor Manhattan, and the Internet losing its poo poo as a result.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ImpAtom posted:

That was a legitimately bad change

Wait, what? I just re-watched it this past weekend and the setup of Manhattan works so much better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

Didn't he bomb New York only or did they change it to make it several cities worldwide or something?

I think in the movie Veidt says he targeted New York, LA, Moscow, Hong Kong and Paris.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

That New York scene is new, right? I don't remember that many people at one time.

I'm pretty sure it's a clip from right when the aliens emerge from the portal and start wrecking poo poo. But gently caress if I'm going to dig up the movie and check to find out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ImpAtom posted:

That is the extended cut and yeah, it really doesn't help the film.

There are actually three versions -- the theatrical, the director's cut and the "ultimate" cut. I believe the director's cut is the only one that made it to Blu-ray. It adds about fifteen minutes or so but it has a lot of nice material.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe you were thinking of Basic Instinct 2, which was a couple years later and she is just having a drat ball in.

"David Morrissey: Leading Man" is just the funniest goddamn idea to me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Knoxville was also a last-minute voice replacement on the first movie, wasn't he? I could have sworn that both he and Shalhoub were announced just a couple of months before the movie was released, as opposed to the rest of the voice cast.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

They got a different actress for Karai

I had honestly forgotten she was in the first movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HIJK posted:

I'm 90% sure this is her last one. Fingers crossed for a recast if they bring back Mystique.

She was signed to a three-movie deal for peanuts just before she exploded in popularity. There's no way she's doing another one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I don't follow this idiot but is he being serious?

Given his history, almost certainly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: What is this poo poo.

Forbes, or as it's now become over the last few years, "a dumping ground where anyone can put their stupid blog post, no matter how insipid, and have it be taken seriously because people think the actual magazine staff wrote it."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I mean, i think the Wolverine is a pretty good flick so my opinion is worth fuckall so keep that in mind.

I'll say this for The Wolverine: It's the first X-Men movie since the original to have a score that doesn't suck out loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7SOyFGCaE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Ottman's music puts me to sleep. I think he's a generally pretty good editor but gently caress his scores are bland. (And his X2 motif is just Kamen's theme at 2x speed.)

Edit: OK, now that I think about it, John Powell's work on The Last Stand was probably the only good thing about that movie.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 29, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HorseRenoir posted:

Isn't Devin Faraci's site the one that constantly brings up "inside sources" that say that WB is perpetually secretly terrified about their own tentpole films?

Yep. He said a month or so back that Warner had secretly made plans to delay Justice League and fire Snyder because their projections were that BvS was going to bomb.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Except BvS had already been crushing advance ticket sales records when Faraci published his semi-weekly "I hate WB" screed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

According to the leaked emails Sony doesn't have merchandising rights so that might be what made them cancel everything.

Marvel / Disney keeps a really tight hold on the merchandising rights and revenue. That's the primary cause of the heat between them and Fox -- Fox desperately wanted to get a toy line and other merchandise out for Days of Future Past, and Marvel told them to pound sand.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thor 1 was good

The first and third acts are fine. The "Thor on Earth" stuff brings the movie to a screeching halt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Michelle Pfeiffer is top 5 performances in a superhero movie material.

"Because he is Batman, you moron" is one of my favorite line readings ever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

That's a hell of a drop-off for Ultron.

It was on one of the movie channels when I was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago, and mother of God, it's just so unpleasant to watch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The biggest issue with Age of Ultron, as I've said before, is that it feels like Whedon wrote a four-hour script, and neither he nor anyone at Marvel Studios had the presence of mind to think, "Wait, this needs to be a two-hour movie, if we shoot all of this we're going to have to hack it to pieces in editing." And then Whedon went and complained for a month that the studio meddled in the editing process, instead of admitting, "Actually, maybe I needed another draft or two."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The ASC nominated Goldblatt for an outstanding achievement in Cinematography for Forever, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

Choose to pay more for the ticket!

Olsen looks like she's reacting to someone who just ripped off a wet fart in the middle of church.

Edit: Alternatively, Emmanuelle Béart in the first Mission: Impossible.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 11, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Can I blame IMAX in any way for the various aspect ratios Nolan used for Interstellar? I find that to be jarring when I watch it on Blu ray.

Partially, yes; Nolan had had a boner for IMAX for years until Warner Bros. gave him the money to use it to shoot some sequences for The Dark Knight (I think the bank heist, the police van chase, the Hong Kong sequence and maybe the sequence near the end when Batman goes after Joker in the unfinished tower), then he went and shot almost half of Rises in IMAX.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Man of Steel was shown in both versions but I when I went to buy tickets the marquee said that Deadpool was 3D IMAX only. So that was a flub by the theater?

It was, yes; Fox had no idea that the movie would do gangbusters so it opted not to fork out the cash for a 3D conversion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo WHAT.

Yeah, it's ultra-low-budget, too, something in the neighborhood of $5 million.

If only Z'Dar were still around to see it. He was such a nice, kind-hearted dude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zombie Boat posted:

Yeah it's a real classic. Like the scene where Batman pulls out a Batman MasterCard with the good through date being "forever"

That's in Batman & Robin, when they're competing with each other for the night with Poison Ivy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hell, even into the '80s. I'm pretty sure almost the entire destruction of the Enterprise was in the trailer for The Search for Spock.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Stolen from the BSS thread: Here's the first official teaser poster for Strange.

I seriously don't know a single thing about Doctor Strange but that's a really great poster.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Variety is saying that Michael Keaton is in talks to play the villain in Spider-Man Homecoming.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I mean is anyone really surprised that Whedon would blatantly ignore something from previous films? IIRC The weirdo made Chris Evans wear the goofy Cap outfit from Avengers despite Chris begging to use the Winter Soldier outfit that the Russo's put effort into making look at least halfway decent.

Evans wanted to use the costume from The First Avenger, which Whedon overruled because he felt it wasn't comic-accurate enough. The Russos weren't in the picture at the time Avengers was made.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's a very ginger powerbomb given he just body checks Sharon through a table.

Bucky hasn't gone full Dudley yet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really hope the ending credit song for Age of Apocalypse is Walk Like An Egyptian.

I would be honestly shocked if there isn't footage somewhere of Oscar Isaac in full Apocalypse getup dancing to that song on the set.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

In Dr. Strange news, there was an interview recently with the screenwriter where he said that they did not receive any pressure from the studio to tie in existing MCU characters, and that Strange won't be a "2 hour commercial for Marvel's next 2 hour commercial."

Apparently most of the notes from the studio were to make things "weirder" and that they wanted the film to be unlike anything they've done in the MCU before.

I think Doctor Strange was the first Marvel Studios movie to go into production after the "Creative Committee" was disbanded, Feige started reporting to Alan Horn and Perlmutter was relegated to just running the TV side of things, so that makes a bit of sense.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Yeah isn't Perlmutter the one who is causing trouble with characters crossing over from the TV side to the film side? Seems like the less power he has, the better.

Perlmutter's the guy who vetoed Black Widow and Scarlet Witch figures being produced alongside the rest of the main line when Age of Ultron came out, because he felt that girls don't buy action figures / boys won't play with them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Re watched the first Captain America. Great movie! Biggest complaint is that I would have like to see Cap and his crew kick a bit more rear end.

The movie's big flaw is that its third act comes out of nowhere. All of a sudden they're on the train, then Bucky dies, then they go assault Red Skull's fortress or whatever. It's just really awkwardly paced, like the writers said, "Oh, poo poo, we need to get to the climactic battle sequence RIGHT NOW."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BiggerBoat posted:

.Ben loving Kingsley

Ben Kingsley will appear in a movie for twenty bucks and a McDonald's cheeseburger.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrVenkman posted:

I dunno, Faraci broke a lot of BvS stuff that was 'debunked', including the use of Doomsday that multiple people swore wasn't true. The only thing so far that has a question mark is the Suicide Squad reshoots, and the only thing thats been questioned there is the reason for it - though I do happen to think that he's wrong on that front.

Faraci also said that Snyder was secretly being fired from Justice League, and then like a day later it got out that the movie had already started shooting. I also recall him saying that the Cumberbatch rumors were a total smokescreen and that Joaquin Phoenix had been signed for ages to do Doctor Strange, that Doctor Strange wasn't going to be an origin story, and that Khan wasn't in Star Trek Into Darkness.

Basically, he's completely unafraid to make poo poo up out of thin air in order to fit his narrative, which is generally "Marvel Studios rules, all others drool."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The thing is we're dealing with Zack Snyder.

That's a funny way of spelling "Patty Jenkins."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I really do hope she has as much creative control as she needs/wants. I would just assume that the big bullet points like everyone's origins were decided way ahead of time. I have to imagine Zack Snyder had some input there.

Charles Roven has already said they're using the New 52 iteration of Wonder Woman as her origin.

• Locked thread