Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

It looks great. Nothing will ever match the ASM2 suit but they wanted to get away from that design language. And honestly, this new suit looks like a genius 16 year old might have read up on screen printing and made it himself.

Please don't remind me that I'm never getting another Garfield Spider-Man movie. The new suit looks really cool, in a very 1970s Spidey way, but ASM cribbed from my favorite Spider-Man (Ultimate), and Garfield was just perfect all around, it bums me out that ASM2 (which was really disappointing) is the last we're seeing of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I should feel sorry for Joss after all the stress that it took to make the film, but then again a lot of it was self inflicted

I had an argument with a friend about Age of Ultron where I argued that Marvel's problem was not that they cut up Joss Whedon's script so much, but that Joss Whedon wrote a loving 3 1/2 hour movie and Marvel said "yeah go ahead and film that" instead of "gently caress you Joss, go make a movie that won't be cut to shreds". He was totally fine with the idea of a 3 1/2 hour Age of Ultron, which is right above a 3 1/2 hours of a blank screen in terms of "things I want to watch".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

The entire way DC is going about their extended universe is weird. They took this movie to introduce Flash, WW, Aquaman, and Dr. Pepper Cyborg, instead of trying them on their own and replacing the actors if the films didn't work. Then they plan on doing their big team up movie BEFORE their individual movies? What if one sucks? Like you have this great team but one clear anchor weighing everything down? Now some clunky team member replacement thing needs to happen before the next movie can go forward with the Actual Good team, but that crappy guy was still around at the beginning.

It took like, 3 movies to make Hawkeye not lame in the Marvel movies. The worse thing would be if they made an entire movie around a lovely character before realizing it didn't work.

Also, you know, there were years and years of cinema where people could introduce multiple characters in the same movie and it worked just fine.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mr. stefan posted:

I hope every DC movie has a different J[name] Olsen cameo for 30 seconds before being killed by a different Superman's Pal cover gimmick

I hear that in Justice League Part 2, Lois goes undercover as a black woman.

(please, Mr. Snyder?)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The CGI is a huge black mark, but other than that it's a really fun movie that gets way too bad of a rap. And, as mentioned, the soundtrack is :krad:.

(Seriously, the practical effects for Spawn himself are actually fantastic. They really should have just stuck to practical all through instead of doing that horrible CGI.)

Movies around that time had some really loving great practical effects, for whatever reason. It was right after Jurassic Park, so the amount of advancement in technology was still huge (before people stopped caring and CGI looked better), and a lot of bigger budget movies used at least some CGI, and the CGI at that time was really pretty garbage. Mortal Kombat is the same way; that Goro animatronic is super dope.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Unlucky posted:

theyre spending so much time and money building up this civil war poo poo then it looks like a bunch of cosplayers having a fist fight in a parking lot lol

If the climactic fight of Civil War actually takes place on a loving airport tarmac and begins with the two sides running at each other like the X-Men animated show opening credits, I'm going to be non-stop laughing my rear end off in the theater until an usher asks me to leave.

Double bonus points if there's a news report about how it's a good thing that it's the least busy day of the year for this airport which is basically abandoned anyway or something like that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to know what actual kids thought of BvS. Like, we can hypothesize all we like, but I wish someone with kids who took them to the movie could just tell us what they thought. I'm genuinely curious, because it's definitely not a movie that was made with children in mind, but I could see them really liking the fight scenes.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Everyone name a movie you've watched more than twenty times that wasn't something constantly on TV like Just One Of The Guys.

Spring Breakers
Scott Pilgrim
Up
Drive
Probably Homeward Bound and Milo & Otis from when I was a kid.

edit: I saw Up and Amazing Spider-Man in theaters each like, 5 times. Just a combination of being bored during the summer and having people I knew who hadn't already seen it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

No but I have had sex more than once while I was watching it.

Do you time it so you finish to, "I love You," "I know"?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

I hope I never piss off anyone enough to get a new avatar.

I love this avatar. it's Bioman.

Come on now, having an avatar bought for you is an honor. It means someone gave enough of a poo poo to spend money to ostensibly annoy and or anger you.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

People responded more positively to the second Suicide Squad trailer so it's unfortunate those reshoot rumors are bunk. They could've had a solid movie there.

Maybe Leto will be a good Joker at least.

But the other part of the rumor (that is probably false) is that the movie is completely serious outside of the trailer bits. For all we know the trailer is actually a very good representation of the tone of the movie, and the reshoots have nothing to do with changing that. I think it's way more likely that the marketing is probably pretty close to the tone of the movie, and is not some sort of Bridge-to-Terebithia-esque misdirection. Especially considering the second trailer for SS was released pre-Deadpool (so they'd have no reason to misrepresent it) and the trailers for all of DC's movies have fairly well captured the actual movie (Watchmen, MoS, and Dark Knight all had really good trailers that pretty accurate represented the tone of their movies).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm less concerned with the reshoots than I am with the movie looking like a hot topic crashed into a spencer's gifts, but hey

You say that, but I loving loved Spring Breakers, and that movie looked like Lisa Frank hosed Worldstarhiphop, soooooooo bring it on

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just turned The Dark Knight on, and as much as I like BvS, the storytelling in TDK is like a loving machine gun in comparison. A really magical, awesome machine gun.

Though Bale-Bat looks and sounds extra goofy in his regular armor and growly-voice compared to Batfleck. Ben Affleck just looks like a comic book in that costume.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wyoming posted:

Why was the Joker so bad? I thought this was a fun movie. :(

Dark Knight is actually a way funnier movie than most people give it credit for. I laugh very hard, every time at Bruce Wayne cancelling an entire week of shows of the Russian Ballet and taking them all on a yacht, because it's the most Bruce Wayne thing imaginable, and he's not even doing it for the obvious benefit (spending a bunch of time on a boat with a bunch of russian ballerinas). I think Maggie Gyllenhaal's reaction is the cherry on top of that whole bit.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wyoming posted:

Oh I was just giving Celtic poo poo for moping about BvS.
I think they're both fun movies.

And yeah, Bruce being acting like a spoiled child never gets old in the Nolan films.

Has anyone else ever gone with that blatant an image of Bruce Wayne: Trust Fund Baby? Affleck did a little bit of that in BvS, and in my head, all of the 90s media had him as much more competent (except Batman and Robin which lets Clooney channel his inner Adam West to our benefit). Bruce Wayne as Paris Hilton is brilliant in the same way that Christopher Reeves' Clark Kent as goofy bumpkin is, in terms of hiding secret identities.

God Dark Knight is so loving good. Out of this entire generation of superhero movies, from X-Men to whenever this bubble pops, that's gonna be the one that holds up. It's not perfect, but I can't imagine anything that would make it any better, unless they could go back in time and film the rest of it in IMAX too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This might sound really morbid, but I think Heath Ledger dying when he did really sealed his, and the movie's, place in film lore forever. He was so terrifying in that performance that if he had tried to do it again, or people had kept hiring him to play that sort of unhinged freak, it would have diluted it. He's right there with James Dean, River Phoenix and Kurt Cobain.

Like, in my head, being the Joker killed him, which is a claim to fame that pretty much no one else can match. This is to the point where, in the dark part of my head, I expect Jared Leto to attempt suicide in the next 6 months while completely missing the point, which is exactly who Jared Leto is in my head: a sad attempt at capturing that particular aura while missing what really makes an actor like Ledger magnificent.

Someday down the line I'll write a Ebert's Great Movies-esque essay about how awesome TDK is. I could fill a loving book slobbering over that movie's knob.

CelticPredator posted:

"Where's the alarm guy?"

"Boss told me when the guy was done, I should take him out. One less share right?"

"Funny. He told me something similar."

"What!? NO!"

loving great,

"I bet the boss told you to kill me when I was done with my work, huh?"

"no no, I kill the bus driver"

"Bus Driver?"

:killdozer:

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 7, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jack of Hearts posted:

That was clever on first watch and made no sense at all on rewatches. Joker is a gang leader first and foremost, as he has no powers. Why do goons work for the guy who murders all his underlings and is profoundly indifferent to profit in the film?

It was a genius performance within an idiotic plot.

How would they know he coldblooded murders his guys? I'm sure he doesn't volunteer that sort of information, and Joker only actually murders one of his guys (the others take care of themselves in the opening sequence). Hell, most of those guys weren't even hired by the Joker himself, because otherwise they would have noticed who he was behind the mask.

Plus, remember, he has a giant fuckload of money. Even if he's pretty blasé about the idea of being rich, he knows what money can get people to do. Criminals have been known to risk their necks for that much cash. And they could also think that, because they think they know how it's going to go down, they can manipulate him and get even richer. That guy in the first scene who pulled the gun on Joker probably assumed that he was gonna get away with all of the cash, because he knew the pattern. What he didn't know was that Joker is smarter than him.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

None of those goons planned to share their money with the Joker and none of them knew one another. They were all criminals he gathered together for the job specifically so they'd play to his fiddle.

After that, he's a cult of personality and an up and comer, and you can see that he surrounds himself with the mentally ill and physically disabled. It's like asking why people were and are so loyal to loving Bundy.

:eng101: Manson. Bundy acted alone.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it was definitely weird seeing 6 year old kids in the theater for the Dark Knight.

I'm a huge fan of Snyder on the whole, but can you imagine something like Joker's "magic trick" or Batman beating the gently caress out of him in the interrogation room under his watch? Nolan didn't really linger on the violence in TDK, so it was probably much less scarring for young children.

On the other hand, I could totally imagine a 7 year old getting really confused watching TDK, while being able to parse BvS perfectly.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

That and if they somehow kill the Flash they will have the whole world on their asses.

I love the relationship Wally West has with the Rogues, they even come to his birthday parties :3:

Too bad DC had to make him a troubled black youth who can run really fast (you'd think they would see the implications of this)

You know, that's actually an interesting idea, it's a shame that the least appropriate people were the ones making it. I wouldn't trust DC Comics to make anything even remotely socially relevant.

If you want an example: look at how they've used Static in the last 15 years.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What's wrong with the world that Nic Cage was not cast as Dr. Strange?

Cage is finally gonna get his moment in a DC movie when he's cast as the villain for Batfleck: The Movie. I don't give a poo poo who he's cast as, make him Poison Ivy for all I care, but I want a movie where Bruce Miller's Ben Affleck as Batman spends his time hunting down Nicolas Cage.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Umberto Gonzales recently dropped some very interesting rumours about the future of the DC Cinematic Universe

Keep in mind the guy has an excellent track record about DC.

I hope you're right. Ballroom Blitz is the perfect song to cut a trailer to after that Bohemian Rhapsody one, and I'll totally go see BvS in theaters a couple more times if they release the R-rated one and it's as much better as I would hope/think/want. That said, I feel like I don't buy Batman being in SS that much, unless "more prominent" means that his specter looms large over the movie. We know he's in the movie in some aspect related to the Joker, it would totally make sense if a bunch of the other guys have had run-ins with The Bat.

I'm surprised they're not trying to get Batfleck out sooner. Like, when they announced two mystery movies, I totally expected the earlier one to be Batman, especially considering they've already got some casting done, and Affleck is already working on a treatment, and is presumed to direct.

He's also saying that the unannounced event film WB is working on is The Tomb Raider, which I completely buy, especially if they've got Daisy Ridley onboard.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luminous Obscurity posted:

She basically Harrison Ford 2.0 at this point :allears:

Quick, cast her in Blade Runner 2 before her schedule fills up~!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ballroom Blitz is a rly good song choice, I will agree

E: it has to be the Rock Band 1 cover tho

For real, I didn't know that it existed 20 minutes ago, and now I've never needed anything more.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No, I just meant a Suicide Squad trailer cut to Ballroom Blitz, but the Rock Band cover idea is pretty inspired too. Ballroom Blitz is one of those songs that should be in every action movie. Like Don't Stop Me Now, or Bohemian Rhapsody, or anything by The Beastie Boys.

My friend who is a huge comic nerd does Ballroom Blitz as his karaoke song, he was pretty stoked by this news as well.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

You probably saw Sisters by accident.

Is it too late to rewrite that Tomb Raider script and have Tina Fey and Amy Poehler play Lara and Laura Croft?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The first critic comments about Civil War are starting to come out. They are just able to give Twitter comments, but full reviews should be out soon.

The biggest points:

- Overall impression is very good.
- Chadwick Boseman, Spiderman, and William Hurt all have relatively small, but breakout roles.
- Spiderman is only in the movie for about 10-15 minutes, but he is getting a lot of praise.
- Lots of people commenting that Marvel has finally made a movie where the 3rd act is by far the strongest act. The climax scene is getting rave reviews and apparently has not been shown in any preview material yet.
- There are multiple ending stingers.
- People are noting that Chris Evans gives a really emotional performance and that his dialogue scenes are much better than his action scenes.
- Paul Rudd has great dialogue and physical performances.
- Some people are upset and some are happy, but they are saying that the movie is 50% Cap, 30% Tony, and 20% all other characters. So, it is definitely a Cap and Tony focused movie and the other characters all have around 10-15 minutes of screentime in a 2:35 movie. Don't expect tons of Scarlet Witch, Spiderman, or Vision.

I wish someone kept track of initial Twitter reactions of all of these movies, because I feel like every time we get "oh man this is my new favorite Marvel movie" and I really hope that the people who said that about Age of Ultron were just excited they got to see it first.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want someone to spoil that poo poo for me, but I'm too lazy to go out and look for it. I hope the FYAD guys are on the case, I wouldn't mind knowing who dies this time.

Of course, knowing FYAD they'll read this post and be like "well poo poo he's figured out our game time to spite him and not say a word"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, there's better directors out there but Jon Favreau isn't one of them. Christ.

Favreau is a way better director than Whedon. My proof: one of them made Iron Man, the other one made Avengers.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

I don't really like or care about the MCU but Avengers 1 is fine. You'd have to go out of your way to suggest it's anything below decent.

I enjoyed Avengers and AoU when I saw them in theaters, but Iron Man is on a wholly different level. Iron Man, Cap 1 and Guardians are the three movies from Marvel Studios that I like and can rewatch the most.

Also Avengers does look like warmed over butt.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Didn't Wolverine already kill X-23 in one of the movies?

That was Lady Deathstrike.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

One of them also made IRON MAN 2, which is one of the more unpleasant movies I've seen so I'm still going to give it to Whedon on that front.

Favreau hated working on Iron Man 2 as much as you and I hate watching it. There's a reason he didn't come back for IM3 or direct Avengers like he was supposed to, and I'm fairly certain his experience directing Iron Man 2 is the reason. For evidence, please watch the movie Chef (2014) (dir: Jon Favreau). I don't hold Iron Man 2 against him.

ooooooooooowns. I want to see this on a big screen real bad.

computer parts posted:

He appears to have something in his mouth:

I think it's a breathing thing, because I think that's a clip of him diving into water.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Kodiak posted:

Maybe Batman's smaller because it's a flashback to earlier in his career.

Pictured, Bruce Wayne in the nineties:

Batfleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo.

The MSJ posted:

And for the love of God, don't watch Chef while hungry.

True Story: My roommate turned the movie on one night, and by the time the halfway mark passed, we had ordered ourselves delivery Cuban sandwiches. That, Jiro Dreams of Sushi and Hannibal have some of the best food cinematography ever.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

As someone who was alive in 2007 and on the internet, you are wrong. It was a mixture of him not looking like a comic book character, being a comic actor rather than a serious one, having a history of alcoholism and not knowing who he was (remember that this was his first high profile gig in years)

Then the trailer hit, we realised the direction they were going in and that RDJ was perfect for it. Now, of course, it's difficult to imagine anyone else in the role without them doing something completely different with it.

For whatever reason, there was a contingent who were super keen for Jim Cavaziel to get the role.

Actually, I remember the reason. There was a red carpet photo of Cavaziel where he bore a striking resemblance to a particular cover of Iron Man, but I cant find either picture now.

There was a period where people wanted Cavaziel cast in every superhero movie. And then Person of Interest happened and people realized that he's not a good actor, he just has a real good agent.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

That trailer sure does look like it's trying its best to make you think it's like GoTG.

Woah man, you should work in advertising

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

who would that be, the one who gets redressed in front of a crowd of men or the one who another character asks if they have a boyfriend?

Now, to be fair, that wasn't entirely a crowd of men, there was a woman in it too. (edit: of course I wouldn't be the only person to notice that)

Plus, Harley's liable to get a story about coming out from under Joker's shadow, and based on who is around during what scenes, I could see Katana's mirroring her's as well. Plus there's the Wall, who's in charge of the whole thing. I think the most awkward one is Enchantress, who is wearing some sort of moss and nothing else, for some unknown reason. But they're keeping her out of the trailers for the most part (probably because she ends up being the big bad but they don't want to spoil it, but that's just my speculation.)

edit:

mr. stefan posted:

I love that the Joker is driving what looks like a Mohoroshi Lambo, because of course he would.

And it's garishly purple, which is awesome. If I were a rich tool in real life, that's the car I'd drive.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

I will give you guys that yes, there's Waller.

Women can have sexual identities and be empowered/proactive.

Sure they can.

But not every case of a woman taking their clothes off is empowered.

She's taking off "The Man's Clothes" and putting on her own, thus restoring her self image. A Good Shot.

edit: Also the way the government guy says "Gentlemen. Ladies" at the beginning of the trailer makes me think/hope that Waller fucks him up something fierce before the movie ends. Because Amanda Waller takes poo poo from no one.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Even back during Comic Con, Suicide Squad was already more popular than BvS. I think it's even tracking better now.

It feels like Guardians, which was fire from the moment the first trailer got previewed at Comic-Con (of my four years at CC, that was the second most excited I had ever been, after the first Godzilla teaser that came out of loving nowhere). They've definitely captured the same tone the trailers for that movie had.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

What was the last tentpole movie marketed around new music? It's always either orchestral or retro. New pop music is reserved for comedies aimed at those young people I keep hearing about. New rock music doesn't seem to actually exist.

Uh, Transformers? The original trilogy each got a brand new Linkin Park song. The Twilight movies had soundtracks far better than they deserved. 50 Shades is technically a tentpole, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

This is a thing to brag about?

Linkin Park is literally the most popular/best selling modern rock band since the turn of the millennium. Quality aside, it's a pretty big deal.

• Locked thread