Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I enjoyed Man of Steel more than Superman: The Movie overall but I like Reeve better as the central character, which hardly makes sense I know, but Reeve just loving god damned REEKS "Superman" every time you look at him. Maybe Megaman's Jockstrap is right and it has to with framing and poo poo like the vibrant colors. I'd never given it much thought. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Reeve was a blank slate and an unknown actor that you could project your idea of the character on to.

It's an interesting discussion though and a welcome and much needed shot in the arm to a thread that can occasionally grow stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Wow this thread is pretty terrible.

What, you don't have a strong opinion about Batman killing people? I don't think we've broached that topic yet.

Maluco Marinero posted:

A movie that spells everything out for you, wraps everything up in a neat comfortable little bow, and moves on, doesn't tend to be discussed much further than 'wasn't it cool when that thing happened'.

Right, because no one never discusses loving Star Wars.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Karloff posted:

I.... have.... done..... this...... so....... many....... times.

It does get old, doesn't it?

People are real loving defensive about BvS. Dudes come in and post well constructed, long, descriptive paragraphs about why the film sucked (and it did) and motherfuckers either say "you just weren't watching, man. It's all right there" or plug their loving fingers in their ears and cover their eyes, pretending that no one ever posted any legitimate criticism about a tremendously lovely movie. Don't go in the loving BvS thread whatever you if you think this one sucks

Christ, I'd rather go back to arguing about Man of Steel at this point. Dr. Strange and Luke Cage can't come out soon enough for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Go to the BVS thread!

Don't.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Drifter posted:

Hahaha
Hahahahahaha

What, are you reading posts from Earth-2 or something?

I've read a ton of poo poo from posters describing in great detail their issues what that movie, here and on other forums. I've written a few effort posts myself on the subject but, whatever. Just keep on liking the movie and thinking that people who don't are empty headed idiots who only post "it sucked".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Should Charlie Brown kill, or should Charlie Brown not kill?

Only Lucy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Isn't the whole secret identity thing mainly to protect the hero's family and friends? Like Green Goblin learns about Peter Parker and right away he goes after May and MJ. In the case of underpowered heroes, it's basically been there to keep snipers from taking random shots at Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson 24/7. When Kingpin outed Daredevil he ruined his whole life in Born Again.

It makes sense for some heroes but not all. Truthfully, I can't see why Superman needs it since he can just be Superman and live in his fortress of solitude all the time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I am... I'm pretty sure if I were to flee the scene of a homicide and they caught me, I would be really really hosed. But I honestly don't know for sure, having never been involved in a homicide.

Well, your posting is killing us. Nah, I'm just kidding. You're all right.

Barudak posted:

Stephen King has an unpublished Batman story

It was published.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's what I'm going to call the movie if it's bad: Derpter Stainge. Copyright 2016 MMJS do not steal

I think you're safe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Never trust a man with three first names.

I trust Michael Clarke Duncan.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, I sure am glad I don't see what's so bad about Avengers and Avengers 2. Must be maddening!

I liked them both well enough myself. Then again, I really likes Man of Steel. I guess I am shallow and enjoy movies the wrong way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I don't care what other problems ASM2 might have, but the whole Electro fight scene is legit one of the best things I've seen in the superhero genre. Sound design and music just make it.

Co-sign. I enjoyed both ASM movies more than the Raimi films, but I like them all really except one. The only Spiderman movie I actively disliked was SM3, which I walked out on before it ended. I'd say we have 4 out of 5 rather decent depictions of Spiderman on the big screen. I haven't seen CW yet but based on what I've heard it was good and Spidey was a highlight.

I honestly like a lot of superhero movies here that everyone hates (IM2, Man of Steel, Avengers 1 and 2, ASM 1 and 2) so take that for what it's worth.

EDIT: drat. I didn't realize how many people disliked Batman Begins. I think it's my favorite movie of the three overall and I enjoy all of them.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 4, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Goddamn man, SM3 has its problems but that seems like a bit much. Out of curiosity, which moment did you finally decide you were done?

Near the end. I think it was after the fight with the newscast play by play and the growling Sandman.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I know what'd be cool. Ten more loving pages about Batman and his killing/no killing rule. It's captivating. Can we just make a thread to deal specifically with that subject?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Man, I checked out of Transformers after the first movie and there is apparently a 5th one coming out soon. What exactly happened in the last 3 movies that ended up with time traveling Hitler, Magic being real, humans having sex with transformers, and racist talking dinosaurs?

I'm happy and proud to say that I have no loving idea.

Violator posted:

Do the people know that or just the military? Like I don't think he's ever shown actually talking with large groups of civilians. He's spoken to Lois and the military (when forced).

He told a famous reporter from pretty big metropolitan newspaper. I'd say it's safe to assume word got out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

teagone posted:

Watch the Skull Island trailer, or the new Planet of the Apes trailer for comparison.

Thanks for this. I didn't even know they were making another POTA. I didn't like the last one too much but loved the first. This looks pretty bad rear end and I always enjoy Woody Harrelson. I just hope the "Apes as terrorists/ISIS" theme isn't too overblown and ham fisted because I could easily see that happening.

Then again, Planet of the Apes isn't really known for its subtlety so it could work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

UmOk posted:

Ah. Batman and Bruce Wayne are separate characters. So Batman can smash poor minorities in the face while Bruce Wayne pats himself on the back for making charitable donations.

Kinda like the "hole in the sheet."

Joker, Penguin, Freeze, Riddler, Ra's, Falcone, Dent, Bane and Selina Kyle aren't poor minorities.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Are we seriously having a "Won't someone pleeeeasseee think of the Chitauri?" conversation in the comic book movie about superheroes defending Earth against an alien invasion? "They have feelings, man." This is getting pretty nerdy even by SA standards.

Don't get me wrong though. Keep going because poo poo's hilarious.

Got me reflecting on and sympathizing with all the poor zombies in Night of the Living Dead, who I'm sure deep down were human and didn't deserve to be shot or set on fire. People trapped in that house should have reached out and tried to understand them. It wasn't their fault they became flesh eating undead.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know everything about what you guys are arguing about but the main thing that bugs me about that JLA promo photo is "why are they being hatched from a pod with dry ice?" First thing I think of is Brundlefly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Renoistic posted:

If Suicide Squad is their idea of fun I fear for the future of DC movies.

Seriously. "Tone" isn't the issue with the recent DC films. Incoherent, jumbled storytelling is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cross posting, but who would make a good Wolverine now that Jackman is done with it? I can't think of anyone for that role.

E: also, I wonder why no one has ever thought about making Plastic Man movie. I think there's a lot of potential there for a really cool film, especially with the proper tone.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 22, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, Watchmen is one of those thing that is so connected with its medium that it would be really hard into a truly classic movie, but Snyder gave as good a shot as anyone could have. I always say that regardless of how much you like the movie, it's easy to think that it's the best Watchmen movie possible.

This is my take on it as well

People have said that the comic was drat near un-unfilmable and I think they're right. There's not much in the Watchmen movie I would have changed. I can't think of anything that would have made it better. Certain properties are sometimes just better left to their original medium. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas comes to mind (although I love that movie) and certainly a lot of Stephen King and video game adaptations.

Also, I'd be down for Snyder directing The Batman.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

UmOk posted:

Honest question: What is the beef with BvS? I understand it was panned by critics but i just don't see why.

Uh oh.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

UmOk posted:

I just don't get it. It can't just be the "not my Batman" crowd. And it can't just be the Martha thing either. Even people here just say it sucks and don't really say why.

Yes they do. People have posted at length about it including myself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

UmOk posted:

Is it because it is leftist/liberal/marxist/conservative/fascist?

For me it wasn't. For me it's just a bad film.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

When did people begin to poo poo on GOtG? I didn't love it or anything but I thought the general consensus was that it was pretty damned good. Is it the "now that it's popular, it's cool not to like it" thing?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not excited for this film but that's a pretty nice poster

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Watch Aquaman be the DC movie that finally turns out to be great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Now that Affleck has dropped out of directing The Batman, I'm actually more interested in DC does with Aquaman than any of the other movies. I can't recall too may films that take place primarily underwater.

There's The Abyss, Das Boot, Hunt for Red October, 20,000 Leagues, etc. but they're usually in a vessel. Aside from animated films, I can't really think of a live action film that uses the ocean as its main environment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That Justice League trailer needed more slow motion and bitching poses.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jimbot posted:

The whole franchise is structured like a D&D campaign.

Holy poo poo, you're right. New thread title. But now you've detracted from my enjoyment of the Marvel films and I worry that moving forward I'm going to view them through this lens

Every time a player can't show up they roll up a new character and shove them in there to move the campaign along. Except I don't remember any of the established characters ever leveling up. Are they pre-rolled characters controlled by the DM, NPC's or new nerds at the table with their totally bitching Black Panther, Quicksilver and Wanda character sheets.

gently caress if you didn't nail the Marvel movies though.

Fighter: Iron Man
Sorcerer/Wizard: Dr. Strange
Barbarian: Hulk
Illusionist/Wizard: Scarlet Witch
Rogue: Black WIdow
Ranger/Archer: Hawkeye
Paladin: Captain America
Warforged: Vision
Cleric: Thor

You made me put too much thought into this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I can't stand the F&F films, personally. I know that sets me apart from CineD and, well, the rest of the world, but dammit I just plain don't like 'em.

I'm with you. The entire concept just doesn't interest me at all. I watched maybe one and a half films out of the whole franchise and I just do not get the appeal. Do car chases and hot chicks provide enough of a vehicle (heh) for, what, seven movies? We've already got the James Bond franchise and half of those are no great shakes either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I feel that if you genuinely come out from MoS and BvS feeling down, then you didn't caught the message those movies were trying to deliver.

I think I got the message of BvS loud and clear. I just thought the movie sucked.

I think that's why, for some reason, that particular film generates so much shitposting because defenders of it seem to accuse its critics of basically being dumb, wanting everything spoon fed to them and calling them out for thinking it was "too dark and gritty", etc. etc.. Which is dumb because Logan, for instance, is dark and grim as gently caress and seems universally loved.

Also, for reasons I can't parse, a lot of people who liked BvS and post about it here accuse people who disliked it of never being on point, specific or legitimate. Which is also weird because I've read several long, good, well articulated, detailed, in depth posts about exactly that subject.

Too many really.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Uh, really? 90s Frank Miller is all over BVS and MoS, both visually and thematically. The sort of Xtreme dourness and anger is straight out of comics of that era, and both his Batman and Superman characters embody how Dark Knight Returns portrayed them. This is the guy who put Doomsday of all characters in a live action film, and used The Death of Superman as a main reference point for his his Batman/Superman showdown, alongside a Kryptonite-laden armored Batsuit?

This is a good point and reminds me of one of many things that bugged me about BvS.

Miller's entire showdown in his book is built off a decades long relationship between the two characters and their very rich history, culminating in a crossroads of ultimately conflicting ideologies. So not only was that relationship never really fully fleshed out, they threw in Doomsday and the Death of Superman on top of everything else. In BvS, they've never even met before and I think the film suffers for it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Am I crazy or does ASM2 look like the winner of that matchup. Maybe Im just sympathetic to Spider-Man since he saves cars rather than destroys them.

You're not. I like both Amazing movies better than the Raimi ones and that loving suit in AMS2 will never be topped.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, you should never let anyone know Michael Shannon is even a possibility until he's locked down. Anyone else ends up being a disappointment.

Shannon would make a great Green Goblin but I don't think anyone's real interested in more another Osbourne story.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

What is the best Cruise film, anyway? I like to re-watch A Few Good Men fairly often.

Does Tropic Thunder count? If not, I'd say Rain Man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

parallelodad posted:

Daredevil would be really great if they cut out all the Ninja stuff except for the one time the crime boss Ninja fights Daredevil.

You're the first person I've read who's ever brought this up. Can you elaborate on this and add some insight for us?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

My thing with the Bane v Batman showdown was that it made no sense that Bruce would just come straight at him and try to out tank him. I mean, OK, he threw a little flash powder and that was it. It was like in Rocky 3 where Stallone tries to brute force his way through Mr. T.

The film goes out of it's way to establish that Bruce is broken, beaten, tired, sore, aged, out of practice and suffering from years of fighting. You'd think he would have relied on some cunning somewhere along the line. I know it was a trap and he wasn't prepared but even after he finds himself in the cage he just tries to bore right through Bane, knowing he's outmatched. I think it was supposed to echo the Mutant Leader fight from TDKR but it didn't feel as earned somehow. You'd think Bruce would have tried to grapple gun his way out of there.

Rises has a lot of problems and is the weakest of the trilogy but there's still a lot to like about it. I just don't get how Begins established Bruce using darkness, surprise and diversions and the sequels almost entirely forget about that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

BEGINS took place in Gotham City, unlike the sequels.

What? They're all set in Gotham City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

Gotham of BEGINS is instantly recognizable as Gotham City, and that city vanished for the sequels. It was dark, moody, dirty, and befitting of a vigilante who stalks unseen. When the city went away, so did all of Batman's tact. He left true Gotham and relocated to the rebranded Chicago for the sequels, and it's obvious that he doesn't belong there.

Oh. So you're just talking about filming locations. Agreed the Gotham in Begins felt the most like "real Gotham". As the trilogy progressed it just started to look like "generic American City", so yeah. I thought you were saying the stories weren't primarily set in Gotham.

• Locked thread