Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust anything that dude says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is hard to address because in the year plus this film has been out I haven't see one example yet of what people think is "garbage editing". Zero. It's just taken as a given that you know what the hell people are referring to.

Many people have pointed it out, including myself. Even most of the film's defenders acknowledge that the editing was rather disjointed, jarring, needed some work and generally concede that it was one of the movie's weaknesses.

It's taken as a given because it's been beaten to loving death and because hardly anyone - fan or not - cites the editing as a strong point. I'm glad you thought everything was A-OK with the storytelling but most people disagree with you.

poo poo, even fans of the film were saying poo poo like "the extended cut will sort it out" and claiming that the studio hosed everything up so suggesting that "zero" people made this case it out seems disingenuous.

E:

Also, it is ok that got I entirely GOT the Luthor character and what they were aiming for but just thought that Eisenberg sucked? My disappointment in his performance had nothing to do with my expectations; I mean, beyond expecting that it might be good. People seem to be arguing that if you hated the portrayal (or the performance) that we were all expecting a bald cigar smoking Republican CEO bent on world domination.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 3, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'd never thought about it much but I think the DCU might have been better served if they'd folded the Nolan trilogy in. You'd have an avenue of explanation for what happened to Joker (and make SS an Arkham Asylum thing), a way to bring Batman back in after faking his death and coming out of hiding in the wake of Superman 9/11. You could explain Lex as filling the power vacuum that Wayne's departure allowed and maybe weave in some of WayneTech's inventions to explain Cyborg and even some of the Kryptonite weaponization.

Not even sure wtf Flash's origin is in JL but maybe you could tie that in too and basically make WayneTech into DC's version of Oscorp; leveraged, corrupted or even bought out by Lex in Bruce's absence so Bruce returns and goes full on underground crazy guy using what he can so he seeks out WW and Aquaman. Maybe have Lucious retired, dead or in hiding so no one is left to guard the hen house anymore. Batman goes into "what have I loving done by leaving?" mode and comes back from exile. Might have been a cool way to fold Robin into JL as well.

I don't know. Just spitballing here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

are any of these movies actually enhanced in a notable way by doing this? cause i kinda like the self-contained trilogy where batman realizes that being batman is a terrible idea and grows up

I honestly don't know. I was just envisioning ways to try in a manner that may have helped DC establish a more coherent shared universe and thinking about ways to make that work a little better. It probably wouldn't add much to MoS or WW but maybe SS and BvS.

EDIT: For BvS, I think it might have helped since so much of what that film drew from (TDKR comic) worked in large part due to their shared history, the idea of Bruce getting so much older and him going into exile. Doesn't help the Superman side of the argument but whatever.

So, yeah, I'd say it would have improved BvS and maybe SS.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 5, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean my take there is that any improvements on newer stories come at the expense of the character arc of nolan's batman and that's a bummer

like how iron man 3 should've absolutely been the last movie with iron man in it but instead tony's just stuck spinning his wheels making the same mistakes he'd already gotten past over and over

I'll concede all that. Not saying it would have worked but not saying it wouldn't have either and found myself contemplating ways to tie the Nolan trilogy in ways where it might have.

josh04 posted:

BvS follows on fairly cleanly from a version of Dark Knight Rises where Alfred is dreaming the ending with Wayne happy in Paris. Batman's just been circling the drain, constantly relapsing into nightmarish violence, slowly losing everyone and everything in his life until he's in a box hotel with a Batcave beneath it.

Sort of along these lines only with more exposition.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You're acting like a prick. Pacing matters. You could cut the first 10 minutes of Once Upon A Time in the West down to 30 seconds and not lose an iota of plot but pacing matters, those long languid shots of the gang goofing off at the train station are not "redundant". Has nothing to do about spoonfeeding or what emotions the audience "should" have (LOL)

Wait...weren't you the person arguing a few pages back that no one was properly explaining the editing issues in SS and BvS and now advocating that the extended cut of BvS fixed the pacing? If not I apologize but, if so, you're contradicting yourself here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've seen MoS 3 or 4 times now and honestly don't get the problem people have with it (tornado scene notwithstanding). I recently re-watched parts of Donner's films too and I love those also but for different reasons. I have my fair share of complaints about them as well though and they're hardly perfect.

I see MoS as essentially "Superman Begins" and I think that sort of contributed to a lot of BvS problems since we never got enough of the Reeve's flavor or get to see him comfortable in his role as a hero. The conclusion of MoS is basically "NOW he's Superman". He's chosen his path and made up his mind, etc.

Then they kill him in the next movie.

Aside from Nolan's trilogy, MoS is my favorite Dc movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I never understand when I hear things like that getting laughs. The emotion in his face is acted so well and it's a beautiful image. Who cares that's not how tornados work?

Like in a Pokemon movie recently that was the 20th anniversary I took my kid to it and at one point Pikachu has a spoken line (Ash basically understanding his animal speak it hallucinating it in his death throes) and me and my wife loving cried, but on the internet everyone is laughing at it and posting videos of people in theaters cracking up. HEARTLESS MONSTERS

Costner was really good in the film but that scene was bullshit and rightly derided.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

what does it think it is and what is it actually achieving?

Not speaking for the other guy, but It thinks it's achieving a deep, powerful, moving moment of self sacrifice where Pa Kent protects his son. What it actually achieves is making what should be a really poignant moment about Clark learning about loss and the limitations of his powers into a really goofy ham fisted scene in an otherwise pretty good film.

Superman 1 did it much better. If they wanted to do a "Should Clark out himself to save his dad" scene, they could have used the heart attack or even a car accident and make it so an ambulance couldn't arrive in time or some poo poo. Plus the execution was ridiculous.

Electromax posted:

There are a lot of sincere moments in MoS that people DO like, like the first time he flies and his conversation with Lois.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

e: "You are my son!" still makes me look like :pwn: all tryin not to cry

loving same.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 6, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

but it's not just 'should clark out himself to save his dad', it's also specifically a scene where johnathon's actions speak more clearly to clark than his previous uncertainties about other people's safety and lives being more or less important than clark's own

I get it and I got the point of the scene. I just thought its execution sucked. And I liked MoS.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hope we get a cool Aquaman video game out of this at least. We're long overdue for a good underwater game and I think there's a lot of cool poo poo you could do with the combat, the setting and the physics. Picturing sort of a part Ecco the Dolphin and part Arkham thing with a little spiderman thrown in. Maybe some cool fish controlling powers that branch as you get xp.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Suicide Squad had a lot of repeat business from young women, younger millennials - particularly the under-18 crowd - African-Americans, and Hispanics (41% of the opening weekend came from them, and 4 out of 5 liked it). The Joker/Harley romance and Harley in particular brought in millennial women (and really, women of all ages), Croc/Diablo/Deadshot got minorities to show up, the look of the movie attracted under-18 millennials, these people kept on going back to it, and suddenly the movie has made over $300 million domestically while the traditional "core" audience for comic book movies - 24-40 white males - showed up only on opening weekend and vanished completely after that.

Basically a bunch of people who are shunted to the side of a normal comic book movie saw the advertising (because WB went deep on these demographics with ad buys), saw a woman/Hispanic/black guy on the same level as the white people in the movie if not above them, and went "oh poo poo yes".

In a way, hiring Ayer ended up being the smartest move since Ayer spent the latter half of his teenage years living in South Central LA and keeps in touch with his friends from then, giving him a pretty good cross-reference of what a Hispanic or African-American audience would want out of a superhero movie.

Not saying you're making poo poo up but can you source of any of this?

K. Waste posted:

Guy Ritchie is the filmmaker at the top of my list of people who would be well-suited for a DC movie. I love my man Ayer, but I have to wonder how Suicide Squad might have turned out in his hands.

And, yeah, King Arthur was pretty sweet, I don't care what anyone says. Too much exposition? Sure! Of course! But you know what else had too much exposition? Wonder Woman. You know what's a better shot movie than Wonder Woman, and even has a better God of War end level boss fight defeated by the power of love?

Was it King Arthur?

teagone posted:

You know what would be cool, if this photo is of Arthur on the oil rig that Clark rushed to in Man of Steel.

Put this man right in here in charge of some poo poo.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 8, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

Is there something about this particular anime I should know?

The answer to this question is always "no".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Burkion posted:

I watched Spider-Man Homecoming

This is a pretty good write up. You seemed to have more problems than I did with it but a lot of your complaints are spot on for me. Glad to know I'm not the only person who didn't rave about it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

I think the vulture being a hero and person to root for was a point of the movie?? Or am I really detached from Hollywood perceptions.

No that seems right. Vulture was one of the better MCU villains and Keaton dod really great with a very well written role. I didn't care too much for the film but Keaton Vulture was awesome.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Guess I'm the only one that thought the animated TDKR was really good. Glad to see MoS getting some support around here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Martman posted:

What was good about it? Why would someone ever watch it instead of reading the comic?

That's a pretty stupid question I think.

"Hey, they're making this movie from a comic I like" seems like a good reason. Why would I want to see Watchmen, 300 or Sin City when there's already a comic? Also, the fact that the comic is like 30 years old and maybe a lot of people haven't read it so there's an entire generation of a potential new audience.

I thought the animation and the acting were terrific. Plus I still love the comic. I'd enjoy and Astro City or Kindom Come animated film. Unsure why that's a weird thing to desire seeing.

what an odd post.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

You guys do know that in that movie Clark is trying to protect his identity as Superman, don't you?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I thought Reeve's performance as Clark in contrast to his Superman was charming and really effective. His entire body language and posture were different, which really helped the "how does Lois no KNOW he's Superman" part of the story. Chris Reeves loving crushed that role.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I really enjoyed the Punisher series, but it's ridiculous and even jarring to imagine that this show is set in the MCU. The other Netflix shows I've watched made vague, coy references to the battle from The Avengers and about how there's weird poo poo out there. The Punisher is a show where most of the characters have dealings with the highest levels of government, and have lots of dialogue about the nature of war and violence and power wielded in secret, and no one even makes a vague reference to how the world has changed since we found out Erich von Daniken was right about everything.

I get what you're saying but it's probably for the better. I like it when characters stay in their own lanes and corresponding scope and power levels.

Crossovers and continuity can be fun but can also be stifling and overly complex to the point that the stories collapse under their own weight. I see signs of it beginning to happen already and tend to gravitate towards the films and shows that have to deal with a fewer cast of characters and backstories.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/941793764649132032

I'm going to be pissed if fanboys say these costumes are better than the ones from JL.

These look fine. The Robin shot looked well enough too. Not really seeing a problem here but whatever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can you really say he wrote Justice league anymore when Whedon essentially redid the whole thing and reshot %65 of the movie (mostly the talky parts)

Do we actually know this though?

I haven't seen JL, don't even know if you're right and don't have strong opinions about Whedon or Snyder either way other than the poo poo Snyder tends to shoot is absolutely gorgeous to look at and never really got the hate for his films, at least stylistically.

I got so flatlined on DC's "universe building" that I never even mustered up the energy to give a poo poo about JL so I find myself wondering how much it matters who the gently caress directed it. I feel safe assuming that if Snyder had finished it, it would have at least achieved eye candy status if nothing else and I'll even grant BvS that much.

DC is just such a loving mess movie wise. I think they need a character that no one expects much from, like Marvel had with Iron Man, to really do something interesting but I'm not sure who that might be. Maybe Shazam will surprise us. I'd like to see someone take another shot at Green Lantern.

Who's a b lister for DC with breakthrough potential? I still say Plastic Man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Not sure if that 65% is from any reputable source but there is very clearly a lot of reshoots and a lot of those did involve new scenes of exposition as well as what seemed like nearly all of Superman's stuff and a large portion of the finale (not necessarily the fighting but the dialogue with Stephen Wolf and the "save the Russians" side plot).

Some of the character/plot building in the early part as well as a good chunk of the action sequences were likely Snyder's but they largely put those building blocks in place to build toward a largely rewritten finale.

I liked the idea someone posted about the Atom directed by Edgar Wright.

I've actually been thinking of that specifically in terms of some of the complaints/praise DC and Marvel get respectively: I wonder if at least some of Marvel's success can be attributed to the fact that a lot of those characters have zero expectation behind them, whereas everyone has their own idea of what Superman and Batman should be like. Someone pointed out in the comic book thread that before Tony Stark was in the movies his character was that of an aloof dad, not the jokey guy we got, and I wonder if the fact that these characters were sort've known but not really helped them forge their own path.

Atom's a good idea as well as Booster Gold. Maybe Specter or Deadman could be cool.

I still think Aquaman could have been that sleeper breakout as well, similar to Iron Man, but they seem to have shot their wad with him on JL. Marvel did benefit from Iron Man coming out of loving nowhere and it did a great job setting a tone.

I don't know...

I'm not sure "not having expectations" is the key though, since Spiderman, X-Men and Batman did well with their films and lesser known stuff like Thor didn't automatically translate into a blockbuster, but probably having a lesser known property frees the director up a bit to pull off something good if they have a vision. I mean, loving Deadpool and Guardians came out and crushed everything. Like most things, it seems to come down to simply writing good poo poo and getting good actors to pull it off.

Funny how that works.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Black Panther using "the revolution will not be televised" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Why?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

So discussion is simply off the table? Do you think corporate diversity is purely a good thing?

Not speaking for the dude you quoted but, overall, probably um....yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

Disregarding that sorting people into categories inherently dehumanizes them...

Except that already happens big time in Hollywood and has for decades? The filmmakers are usually the people saying "we can't take a risk on black film" or "we can't have an female/asian/hispanic lead". They're the ones generally making the rules about categorization and they hold all the power.

I don't see much of a path elsewhere except to play by the rules that they set. I mean, OK, you get your occasional Denzel Washington who can play anything and a guy like Spike Lee who carved his way through the indie route, but let's get real here at least and try not to pretend that these barriers don't exist and, further, that consistently (if slowly) addressing them is inherently, overall, a good a thing.

I'm not sure what you're arguing but your rationale reads a lot like folks who take issue with affirmative action and such.

• Locked thread