Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still skeptical that the Inhumans movie will get made. Maybe I'm wrong.

Agent's of Shield is really going all-in on the Inhumans storyline, and Agent Carter's current season seems at least somewhat connected to all that, so I think it has a really good chance at actually getting made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

She'll do another one if they pay her good money.

She's an Oscar winner and one of the two or three most sought after actresses in Hollywood. Whatever they may be able to pay her for an X-Men movie, she could get more starring in something that might actually get critical acclaim, and help her career. X-men is an ensemble, they aren't going to offer her 20+ million for the amount of screentime Mystique typically gets. Its not like Hunger Games where she's the entire franchise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

All of the recent X-Men movies get massive critical acclaim and are box office hits. They will only help her career.

Her non-franchise movies don't do so well.

Being part of an ensemble cast in a movie that is a box office hit doesn't do anything for her career at this point. By "help her career", I mean win her major acting awards, further cementing herself as a go-to actress for directors like David O. Russell.

She's at a crossroads. She can continue to take roles in major box-office franchises where her acting ability isn't really utilized, but those roles will dry up within the next ten years when she gets a little older. OR she can establish her self as a permanent fixture in the business and continue getting decent money roles well into her 40's and 50's like only a select few actress have been able to do(Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster to an extent). Depends on what she wants out of her career and how long she plans to continue acting, maybe she's already bored with it, who knows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

It's kind of like how Predator is the single best 1980s action movie ever made. It's not even fair.

For a guy who is not at all a household name, John McTiernan really made awesome movies. If there's a close second to Predator its gotta be Die Hard.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Progress on the Lobo movie. Looks like we might actually get to see Danny Trejo ride on a flying motorcycle after all!

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/wonder-woman-writer-jason-fuchs-lobo-1201732108/

Isn't he like 60+ years old though? I feel like Lobo needs to be a big buff dude, not 65 year old Danny Trejo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Let me give you a counter argument

Danny Trejo As Lobo

gently caress You that's the best casting.

Lobo's supposed to be a badass alien with an obnoxiously energetic personality. If a 70 year old man can pull it off then that's great, if anyone could I guess Trejo's the guy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something about that trailer is giving me X-Men 3 vibes. I think the trailer for X-Men 3 was similar in that it focused on the gigantic, potentially world changing stakes, and teased this big dramatic showdown. But then the movie came out and none of it held together at all and it was all very anticlimactic.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 18, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

He's just being nice, the real reason is "lovely TV actors who no one has ever heard of can not be the stars of multi-million dollar franchise movies."

Yea because Ezra Miller is such a household name.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

Why would anyone want TV Flash to be movie Flash? Let them be different.

In this case its not anything as stupid as the usual nerd complaints, I think people just really enjoy Gustin's portrayal of the character and would like to see him get a shot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

He may not be but he's a drat fine movie actor. Not television. He's moved on from his tv stuff.

If you think he's a better actor than Gustin, fair enough. But it was suggested that Gustin was never going to be cast simply because he's a t.v. actor that nobody has ever heard of. Audiences don't give a poo poo who's a t.v. actor and who's a movie actor, it means nothing in the context of casting and marketing a movie. People want to see good actors, that's it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Olivia Munn's been dealing with that kind of bullshit her entire career, because she started on a network that only covered video games and other related nerd poo poo(G4), and she was really good looking. So naturally it was assumed she actually doesn't like video games and was just in it for the money. What a terrible person she is, accepting a (probably low paying) position as a t.v. host as a way to get her foot in the door of show business. No principles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's no way they're going to make a move with Snyder, regardless of what critics are saying. This movie is going to make 800+ million dollars, and Snyder is already knee deep in Justice League stuff. To take him out and bring in another director mid-stream would be an even bigger potential disaster.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd like to see a movie version of Penguin who's basically just a crime boss like he often is in the comics/video games. That way Batman can fight a somewhat eccentric villain but it would still be basically an organized crime story.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jai Courtney is one of those guys who looks like a million bucks in junket interviews then on screen he's like "who is this clown"?

I'm interested to see him in this because he's playing what should be a somewhat eccentric character, so if he can make it as boring as the rest of his roles it would actually be like an accomplishment.

His blandness really is something like a talent, I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He's only memorable in Jack Reacher because of that scene where he kills that girl. So really its the writing(not sure if that scene's in the book) that's disturbing there, not really anything in his performance. The rest of the movie he just smirks and he has maybe three lines.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

eh, there's an art to playing a hulking bad guy. it's why Kane Hodder is memorable and most of the rest of the nobodies who played Jason aren't.

I suppose, he definitely came off as a competent operator type. He could probably pull off playing a guy who fights Jason Bourne for instance. I don't think those guys get paid much though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The first fight scene in Batman Begins is forgivable, because yea its supposed to be disorienting as if you're one of the mooks he's hunting. But Batman fights a bunch of ninjas later in the movie and you still can't see poo poo or understand why these guys are going down like a sack of potatoes. The problem continues on for the next two movies, we very rarely get to see Batman throw and land any kind of blow in the same shot. Certainly nothing even close to what Affleck does in that trailer.

Quantum of Solace is another movie that had a lot to do with the backlash against shakey cam finally coming to a head. The action in that movie is completely incomprehensible.

That Bourne vs. Desh scene is a perfect example of how it can be done right though. Yea the camera is shaking, but for the most part both actors are in the shot. When there is a close-up its followed by a wider shot so that the audience can reestablish the geography of the scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Counterpoint: the first Bane fight is awesome, well-lit, well-shot, has good foley work, distinct character moments, callbacks to prior films, and incorporates both the participants' state of mind and personalities.

Its the one exception in all three movies, and I'd even say that's being generous. A lot of the effectiveness of the scene comes from the sound design(the blows really sound like they have major impact), and Bale's performance. I think its my favorite scene of his Batman because he's just so unhinged and seems almost scared that he's not able to take Bane down.

Its still not a very clearly shot action scene, it just looks good in comparison to most of the others in the trilogy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cage as Ghost Rider should absolutely pop up in a post credits scene at some point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

I doubt Bale could move at all in the Bat suits, so even simple choreography must suck.

Every time a new Batman movie comes out the guy playing Batman always talks up the new suit and how he can do things in it he never could before. Then when the next Batman movie comes out they talk about how that old suit was so restrictive, but the new suit? This new suit is allowing me to move so much better than before!

The Batfleck suit is the only one I've seen yet that seems to live up to that billing, he really does appear to be able to move around like Batman should.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I feel like the logical conclusion of this process is a live action Batman Beyond adaptation, and I'm totally okay with that.

If they did a live-action Batman Beyond they'd still put him in some weird armor plated suit thing, so we'd have the same problem. And I don't think we're ever going to see a live-action version of Batman like the Animated Series where he's basically just wearing a cloth version of Keaton's suit. I guess they think its too close to Adam West and people wouldn't be able to take the character seriously.

The Batman in Batman: Dead End wore a normal cloth suit and it worked just fine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tarantino definitely deserves some credit for "discovering" Fassbender as well. That bar shootout scene was all people were talking about when they saw Inglorious Basterds.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Depends on who asked for the reshoots. Most directors, when they've presented the studio with what they feel is a finished film, wouldn't think it is a good thing if the studio asked for additional re-shoots. In the case of Fury Road I'm assuming it was Miller who went to the studio and asked for more money because he felt the film needed it, not the other way around.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't quite get the hate for Age of Ultron when Avengers is right there, being even worse.

Avengers had novelty working in its favor. "Holy poo poo look at all these heroes on the screen at once, and its a Real Movie, not some kid's cartoon!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

Nope. The studio saw the dailies and gave him more money because they loved what they saw.

Well that's not really what we're taking about then. If they saw the dailies, liked what they saw, and then just increased the budget, that's one thing. Its entirely different to ask that reshoots be done for a specific purpose, like adding action or humor.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like we're getting full-on Dimension X shenanigans this time at least. I'm hoping for some neutrinos and Usagi Yojimbo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I don't think Nick has the rights to Usagi.

That's bizarre. They have the rights to the Turtles, Splinter, April, Casey, Shredder, Beebop & Rocksteady, and Krang, but for some reason Usagi was left out? It can't possibly have anything to do with the actual Kurosawa Yojimbo character can it?

If I find out they don't have the rights to Napoleon Bonafrog this will really be a lovely day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can I blame IMAX in any way for the various aspect ratios Nolan used for Interstellar? I find that to be jarring when I watch it on Blu ray.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I just think it's stupid as gently caress to call it a :gay: cinematic universe :gay:.

It's two movies and then a crossover movie. It's not a loving cinematic universe.

Your vision is limited.

First its a crossover movie where Godzilla fights Kong. Then a sequel where they have to team up to take on Rodan. Then Rodan gets its own spinoff movie. Then a standalone Gozilla sequel. And on it goes...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kong's got way more agility than Godzilla or those MUTO's though. Maybe he can float like a butterfly and sting like a gigantic bee.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

Yeah Tony that's crazy that a 51 year old woman could be an Aunt.

The joke is she still looks amazing and could probably pass for 35. Not the kind of woman people typically think of when they imagine Aunt May.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're the Chosen One you can start doing that in like 2 months, tops.

And the gray hair happens instantly too doesn't it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

Made me wonder what's the most films a villain as appeared in as a villain (where they are not also protagonist)? Plenty of villains in 2 flicks, what about recurring villain 3+ times? Just thinking if they had IW1+2 about him and a precursor movie to have 3 with him as the main antagonist, would've needed a meatier core than the usual Marvel villains to sustain.

I guess Vader counts, some guys from James Bond maybe, most of the others I can think of sideline the villain or turn him into a sort-of ally by the 3rd movie. But like, the main big bad, 3 times. Even Magneto is iffy in X2.

If you go into the horror genre there's plenty of them that have appeared 5+ times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Of course part of the idea behind the Suicide Squad is that they're going on suicide missions, which means there's only a small chance of actual commutation coming about.

That's really what it is. The government really has no intention of ever letting them walk free, they assume nobody would be able to survive these missions long enough to earn the commuted sentence. And Waller being Waller she probably is full of poo poo, she'd just have them disappeared if it really became an issue.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

It'd be cool if POC got to be lead protagonists :angel:

You mean like in Star Wars?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mads has played a Bond villain, and an awesome one at that, so if he's anything other than the Big Bad then its a step down as far as I'm concerned. Lets get this guy on the A-list already!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They already said Mads is playing the villain, they just haven't said who the villain specifically is.

Ah good. I was worried he'd be similar to Falcone in Batman Begins in terms of screentime.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

That reminds me of his invulnerable pants in X-Men 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgu2RCLUr-s

Haha, I never noticed that. His flesh is literally dissolving from his bones yet his pants stay perfectly intact.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would assume if they're going to pay her enough to sign on then they'd have to make Danvers a pretty major character going forward, probably with her own movie to kick things off. Its not worth it to pay Lawrence like 20mil per movie to just be part of a big ensemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's no way that, after all of this buildup, they're going to be able to properly pay-off the Thanos storyline in a single movie. He's definitely going to end up being major anti-climax, I don't see any way around it.

• Locked thread