Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The fake plating lines on the legs and that not-belt thing is a little goofy but I like how Spider-Man looks in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fascism is that thing Marx likes right

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kulkasha posted:

Everybody's too busy quipping about shawarma to process technogods and interdimensional aliens

I bet the double nazis suppressed the extraterrestrial combat project.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the MCU, every single Abrahamic religion is explicitly disproven and Norse Paganism is the only religious faith to have any basis in reality.

Just you wait until Jesusman shows up to defeat Thanos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's just as well the double nazis suppressed XCOM in the MCU because it's not like they'd land a hit against the reptilians there either.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Electromax posted:

Now imagine the effect of 9/11 if the planes had emerged from a portal to a different corner of the universe, and Elon Musk in a spacesuit and a giant talking gorilla had shown up to divert the 2nd plane back into the portal before it impacted, then on 9/11/2002 an army of sentient droneships attacked Volgograd based on Elon tinkering with the plane's black box, and also a new different plane emerged from a different portal in summer 2002 to crash into London. Then Elon and the gorilla have a big public fight at an airport before the gorilla is branded a traitor. I bet people would still be talking about it.

A talking monkey?!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pirate Jet posted:

I really wish this movie would pull a fast one on us and it turns out the first ones down are, like, Deadshot and Harley Quinn.

Slipknot is the sole survivor, with the twist reveal that he's also invulnerable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kurzon posted:

When did superhero comic stories start spanning multiple titles? Eg a story that begins in Action Comics continues in the next issue of Adventures of Superman, followed by the next issue of Man of Steel. I'm reading through some back issues of various Superman comics, and I noticed that this trend seemed to start around 1987. When did it start? Did Marvel do it? Why was it done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTwO0TlwOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You made it up, like God and Santa Claus.

Oh my god someone's been breaking into my house every year

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

Civil War does show us Tony dealing with his parents deaths and then he says that technology has helped him come to terms with it (he described the VR thing he is showing as a type of billion dollar therapy session).

That "memory" was altered for the vr demo, he never dealt with it. It's how he wished his last time seeing them had actually gone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

Yep. It's clear he never truly dealt with it, but I thought after the VR sequence he talked about all his issues in the past tense and then said something along the lines of "it took me years to come to terms with this". He definitely made the "billion dollar therapy session" crack. Like he's saying "I'm totally fine guys" but he's clearly bluffing.

Oh yeah, gotcha then. I thought you were saying that he had dealt with them using it, I agree with you on the rest.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jimbot posted:

The man likes the same poo poo I like but he can bench 300 pounds!

Actually, that's a good question. I'd like to see him direct something under a pseudonym and see what the reaction to the film is. Then see the reaction to that when it is revealed he directed.

I don't know who this Snack Zyder is, but I've got a good feeling about him! Also, I'm hungry now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Electromax posted:

If this was comics, there'd be a one-off issue explaining about Pa Kent's youth and how he met a cute lady and the fact that her name is 'Martha' ends up somehow significant and pivotal in his decision to court her and/or the lightweight conflict in the story.

Alternatively, a "What If Supes' Mom Was Named Brenda" where Bruce just kills him after hearing "they're gonna kill...Brenda" and then he has to watch Doomsday eat everything.

He still has a bat-grenade (and one bat-kryptonite grenade) launcher and the spear I'm sure it'll work out. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The execution in that scene's pretty lacking all around.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

To the best of my understanding I'm a dead dad anyway, should my son decide to become a superhero down the line. The dads never live.

Make sure to own a house next to an expansive cave with plenty of huge bay windows for things to fly past.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't believe nobody thought to just use a voice modulator for Batman before, it's perfect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think Cavill slimmed down a bit for The Man From UNCLE but he was still pretty big in that too.

I wish I could rent that movie anywhere too, it's just options to buy. :argh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cvnvcnv posted:

It's on HBO. Get Now for a month? Cheaper than buying plus lots of other ish.

Oh cool, I'll give that a look then. Thanks!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oasx posted:

I just watched The Dark Knight for the first time and i don't really understand what the big deal is. It looks and sounds like a direct to dvd movie, and as expected Heath Ledger didn't magically become a good actor for this one movie.

:vince:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In this film, a star's contract hero dies!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

From what I remember from reading comics when I was eight, that's pretty comicbooky.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Kids enjoy them because they have no frame of reference as to what a well shot, well characterized movie looks or sounds like.

You say that as if most adults do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I'll ever get tired of the Avengers car jokes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shanty posted:

This is loving mind-boggling, but I think it could work. Clooney playing it intense, quiet, against his usual "type": "Do you bleed?" and Cage looking stern, melancholy, which he has down pat anyway.

Who's doing Lex at this point?

Jim Carrey

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darkseid will only relent in his attack on Earth when he realizes that his mom has the same name as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, and Cyborg's moms. Aquaman's was named Betty, which gets a giggle out of The Joker.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked both Thors more than Beavis.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hodgepodge posted:

I just felt like pointing this out.

I didn't feel particularly strongly about Beavis though, just that it was kind of crap, especially after MoS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm sure he will.

For about 5 minutes.

Lex suddenly all on board with Superman existing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

e: and BvS Batman is hardly different than the other movie Batmans when it comes to no killing.

quote:

If there are so many of those stories why do you want yet another one?

:haw:

quote:

Batman gets to a lever where a train is about to run over 5 low-level criminals who are planning to rob your grandma, but he could pull the lever and divert it to only kill Joker who was bound against his will. What does he do?

quote:

Batman doesn't kill people, he just doesn't save them.

So he'd just leave probably.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm not the one complaining about him fitting into certain molds. If I was I'd be saying that we should have Adam West style Batman back in the fold.

I know, I'm just being dumb. We absolutely should have that, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Was anyone ever even accidentally killed by Adam West Batman? I don't think so but I've only really have memory of the movie at this point.

Vintersorg posted:

This Batman never killed before but after 20+ years of poo poo piling up no matter what... he's had enough.

Until Superman shows up to show him the way.

He kills even more people after that and presumably will continue to.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Who does he flat out kill?

Basically every gangster after he hears the word "Martha"?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

He hurts them badly

He strafes them with a gatling gun then machine guns the dude with the flamethrower (or hits the tank or something, I forgot how that guy dies exactly)!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVIG7YvdjM&t=181s

When you argue this garbage about Batman killing being "less compelling" you end up saying that George Clooney's Batman is the most compelling of them all.

Adam West noooo

Thanks for finding that I didn't recall it at all. I need to watch that movie again!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

He's holding a dudes arm and the guy is the one holding the trigger, his buddies also drop to the floor and get missed by the bullets for the most part.

The grenade guy is another "wont save you" deal where the guy pulls the pin so batman kicks a goon at him and the guy drops the grenade but then tries to grab it.

The flame thrower guy, KGBeast chooses suicide. If he doesn't try to fry Martha his tank doesn't explode.

The closest he comes is when he smacks that dudes head with a box, which i'll concede if you consider him dead. I put him in the "hospital visit for days" category.

No, I mean he strafes them from the Batwing, blowing up the SUVs with dudes inside. That happened after WHO"S MARTHA right? Or was that from before Superman supertotals the Batmobile? I don't really remember what happened when now.

quote:

Nah everybody is too busy swinging. Only accidental deaths are like, heroin ODs.

:golfclap:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just to note, my point was just that Batman kills significantly more after his "redemption". It's a weird place to start the Justice League at.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

I think its realistic to expect that the "Martha" moment wasn't Batman completely overcoming his issues all at once, and there's really not much time for him to reflect between then and the end of the movie. Don't you think its possible this will be an ongoing arc for Batman that will continue throughout the Justice League/Batman series?

Probably, but it doesn't make it less weird of a direction to go and start that at for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Here's an example from one of the worst comics ever made:

This Superman performs as if he's being watched by thousands of children, even in the bedroom. When he's talking to Lois in bed, he's talking to her as if she's a child.

At the end of the comic, Superman performs his no-killing rule for dozens of magic cameras, literalizing the child-gaze. All humans become children.

Maybe that's just the level the author can write at.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

Where does Superman usually put his vanquished foes? Apart from "the issue after this one" I mean.

Prison usually, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't read a Superman comic in eons so I'm not being facetious when I ask this, but really? Mogul or Darkseid or Doomsday don't strike me as the prisoner type, they are more the "throw them into the sun" type.

I thought Metropolis had a Not Arkham or something for the supercriminals. I know Lex keeps breaking out of somewhere.

• Locked thread