Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They were at least tricked into doing that hit mission by their country rather than secret nazis. Boy, was that one of the most spineless plot points put in modern movies. Instead of human greed and corruption and all the things that can come with power, it's secret nazi machinations who are responsible for all the terrible things in the world.

I really enjoyed the movie but that was some serious cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I do like some good old fashioned escapism but I just find it hard to separate reality from fiction when the US government is concerned. I was completely invested in Iron Man's escapism because it touched bases on the military industrial complex and how cyclical it is and how someone who was complacent with that started having problems with it once he saw how it effected people's lives. It was a minor part of a power fantasy but it was enough for me to buy into the fiction set in the real world. Winter Solder took me out of the fantasy by making secret nazis the root of all evil. It was too sanitized and safe - borderline on propaganda.

It's why I appreciate DC's Superman films. It explores the world's reaction to this mighty being in an interesting way. Really looking forward to checking out the Ultimate cut on blu-ray come the 19th. It was incredibly dumb for them to release it digitally a month early.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It loses a lot of its meaning by presenting those things as others. If it presented those people as something someone could become rather than violent psychopaths, then it would have had a stronger impact. Same with Captain America himself. He's always correct. People aren't like that. He's an unreachable ideal made manifest. He's a boring character and only the strength of the performance really saves it.

The symbolism isn't lost on me and I appreciate it, but it just doesn't work in my opinion.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Not a fan of the Batman suit. I liked the grey and black. You need them contrasting colors, yo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The bad guys are going to be men in power.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just finished watching the BvS Ultimate Edition. Movie still owns.

A lot of those new scenes are great. It makes explicit what you'd have to extrapolate in the theatrical cut. It changes the courtroom scene completely too. Some scenes probably could have stayed cut, though. Like the forensics lady (minus her phone call) and the saucier bathroom stuff. Brevity and all that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What is it about Snyder that turns good men...cruel? We may never know.

The man likes the same poo poo I like but he can bench 300 pounds!

Actually, that's a good question. I'd like to see him direct something under a pseudonym and see what the reaction to the film is. Then see the reaction to that when it is revealed he directed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The world these characters inhabit is also apologetically jaded and cynical. Instead of being all accepting of Superman, people have different reactions to him. I feel like the people who are distrustful of Superman mirror the people who hated his depiction in Man of Steel. The movie feels like a natural continuation and response to the response of Man of Steel, which is why I loved it as a sequel to Man of Steel despite thinking Superman needed another solo film before this one happened.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think Snyder is too in love with his slo-mo shots of guns and shell casings to really put this across. It's pretty much my sole complaint about Dawn of the Dead '04 too, there's tons of moments in that movie where he kills the momentum to show another loving slo-mo closeups of guns going off and shell casings flying out.

You're being a little unfair, don't you think? Disregarding the merits and meaning of a scene based off of what you think a director fetishizes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

How is applying my knowledge of a director's previous movies to the one I'm watching unfair? People do this to directors all the time.

By ignoring the context of the scene in which he uses that technique. Instead of reading the scene or reading people interpretations of it, you just dismiss it as the director fetishizing something. But hey, you do you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I remember when I was 5, I saw this weird, little comic book movie called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". It wasn't that big and I'm not sure many kids saw it. Anyway, it contained a scene of brutal violence that put one of the character into a coma for about 20 minutes of the film while his family broods and tries to cope with their loss and them failing their brother. It also contained a dude getting crushed to death by a trash compactor. Again, I don't think kids ever saw it. Was probably too boring and brutal for them to comprehend.

It also had Sam Rockwell asking if you wanted regular or menthol cigarettes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I honestly think we should have gotten a Man of Steel sequel before BvS. That way they could have focused more on Batman and audiences would have already been familiar with why the world sees Superman the way they do after the events of the first film. I still think BvS worked but it was definitely a needlessly hard uphill battle to make work when they could have fleshed out Superman as a character in his own sequel film. The origin story is over, so let the character do his own thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Terrible Horse posted:

I wonder how much of this difference in tone is because of available technology. Reeve Superman was limited to basically lifting cars and flying kinda slowly and silly-looking, due to the limitations of special effects. It makes sense that he'd be handling tiny threats like guys with crowbars and shooting the poo poo with Lois.

We now have the technology to actually show Superman breaking the sound barrier and plowing through sky scrapers, and it looks real. It would be really hosed up if Cavill looked like he was having a "good time" while 9/11ing all over the place.

It's more about the era rather than technology. In film, the 70's were the height of exploitation films, gritty tales and anti-heroes. Superman was someone who was larger than life, who always did the right thing and was always there to lend a helping hand. He was the antithesis of your typical protagonist of the time. It's also why people are more open to a flying god around. Crime in New York in the 70's was the highest it has ever been and just wasn't overall a very good place. So if someone like Superman came around and was helping the little guy, they wouldn't stop to think of what it meant. It wasn't really that kind of film and that kind of film wouldn't really fly today. A year before this film Star Wars came out and that was breaking the mold too.

Man of Steel and Batman v Superman are also reflective of the era they are created in. Man of Steel humanizes Superman more and shows how living in a culture of fear and paranoia stunted his growth as a superhero. Clark being Superman in that film is the first time he ever pushed himself with his powers, ever. So the results were a mess for everyone involved when he head to face off against people who were bred to master themselves in combat. Batman v Superman is a direct response to that film and how our culture of fear and paranoia is really toxic towards exceptional, different people - even if they're trying to do the right thing. Be it outright contempt for someone like Superman or worshiping the ground he treads upon.

I still think Man of Steel needed a sequel to expand upon the world coming to support Superman, but I think BvS did an alright job with the montages.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You have to keep in mind, too, that Clark in Superman: The Movie spent the rest of his teenage years and some of his adulthood in the fortress of solitude learning from holographic Jor-El. So he was able to mature into the role. In Man of Steel he has like half a days worth of flying around. As for the secret identity thing, in Man of Steel it was a good way of establishing that Lois was a drat good investigative journalist but in Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad, it was a good way of showing off the police state we live in these days. The government and big corporations know everything about you and if they don't, they will.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/764152697784336385

So I take it Bruce will show up with a banjo and that's how he'll recruit Aquaman? Not what I expected but still very interesting indeed!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

She was awfully judgmental in that movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure it's Jimmy Olsen turning Superman into a computer!

STOP ALL THE DOWNLOADIN'!!!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Equeen posted:

I honestly not sure what you're trying to say here. How would adding more ambiguity (the thing angered the nerds) improve the text? Why do you want to remove the only character that used non-violent skills to uncover the villian's plot?

Wasn't there backlash over this Lois because she's competent and managed to figure out Superman's identity? Removing Lois from the movie is a terrible idea so of course angry nerds would be all for it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did anyone else never like the secret identity thing between Clark and Lois? Even when I was a kid I never bought it and when I grew older I realized how gross it was. It just didn't look good for either character. Showed that Superman didn't respect Lois enough and it showed that Lois was blind and bad at figuring things out. In Man of Steel at least it is used to show that Lois is a drat good investigative journalist rather than just saying she is.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You can't Snyderize bad shots. Zack Snyder rarely does those. It still amazes me that the cinematographer's next film was Godzilla. What the gently caress did Whedon even have that guy do?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Equeen posted:

I'm just gonna shamelessly plug Hbomberguy here since he shares your confusion. It's also a good video on action scenes in movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-5ydxW_WE

Yep, I saw that one and it's really good. He's one of the few people who defends Snyder's movies, at least Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, in the critics thread (who are convinced everyone in this forum have their heads up their butts for reading into films). He's also responsible for all the poo poo videos of the people he makes fun of appearing on my youtube recommendations too. Thanks guy! :argh:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

James Spader is the only reason to watch The Blacklist too. That's some James Spader doing some serious James Spader. Unfortunately it dips in quality whenever he's not on screen.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's kind of weird in Batman v Superman too. Since CNN appears towards the end but early on, when news is shown, it's from MNN.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Comic book fans not being able to handle dream sequences makes me mad.

Same here. There are some great audio cues to indicate that Bruce is having a nightmare.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hollywood is a loving maze of terrible poo poo. Wording in contracts is also a major thing. I forgot which term was poison but studios set up in such a way that a film can never make a profit on paper to avoid profit sharing. There was a video someone made on youtube who broke the whole thing down and used one of the Marvel movies as an example.

Corporations, man.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's not like people are arguing in bad faith either. This is the second DC film set in the same universe so how these films have a lasting effect on the characters and events are still up in the air. The transition Clark went through in Man of Steel and the fallout from his battle with Zod carried over to Batman v Superman. There have been over a dozen Marvel films in their universe and rarely do events ever matter or carry forward or effect characters in a meaningful way.

Maybe DC will end up like that too eventually, but as it is now, DCs outings have shown that each film mattered. Batman V Superman felt like a sequel to Man of Steel. It starting with the Metropolis from Bruce's angle was incredibly effective.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Karloff posted:

I don't understand this whole "nothing changes" meme, or the "Tony Stark just resets", it's utterly and completely inaccurate.

Tony Stark has developed drastically from film to film as a result of his experiences, so much so that by the time we get to Civil War the fissures in his personality and the ptsd that has manifested in different ways throughout the series and evolves, is getting the better of him and his inability to deal with trauma has resulted in him becoming unstable even if he's trying to do the right thing.

Similarity Captain America has gone from the ultimate servant of the will of authority to a figure who considers the only valid authority to be himself, this due to betrayals in both Avengers, but most notably in Winter Soldier.

Hell, some films, like Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier are all about dealing with the blowback from events from previous films, they were plying those ideas way before Batman v Superman got there and did so in a superior and more thematically compelling fashion.

But, maybe Civil War shouldn't have had Rogers and Stark have genuine character deficiencies, be selfish and heroic in different ways, be ideologically opposed in a way that is compelling, and built to a climactic conflict where those character failures are exposed to each other and their failure as people and figures are laid bare leading to a collapse of the idealism that gave them their birth.

Maybe they should have just learnt that their mums had the same name and made up and then fought the abomination with the help of Spider-Man.

That would have been much better.

I was with you until the end since you were describing what happened in Batman v Superman but then you confused something from Civil War where Captain America wrote a buddy letter to Tony Stark and everything was better. They didn't have mothers with the same name.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Which one of the Avengers is the "It was a war about states' rights!" guy?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

His mistake was taking things too far. It's hard to think straight in a fever rage fueled by fear of a 1% chance. My favorite little detail in Batman V Superman (I have a lot of them in that movie) is in the Omega nightmare sequence he's using the gun that murdered his parents. It's shown how far he has fallen - using the very tool that robbed him of his parents.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Electromax posted:

People are barely upset about real-life police forces becoming increasingly militaristic and sporting heavier gear and equipment. It wouldn't be fair for Batman to get left behind.

In the ultimate cut, pay attention to the proportions of ethnicity in the prisons and on the police force. A bit of commentary there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Murder is heroic.

But as someone pointed out earlier. Batman doesn't fire first. Every time he's visibly killed someone it was in response to deadly force used upon him.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's kind of interesting everyone is focusing on Batman doing bad while actual police force presented in the movie is shown as being terrible and uncaring. That branded prisoner was moved to a place where everyone knew it was a death sentence for him but they just didn't care.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Counterpoint: I think Dr Strange has a chance to be something beyond a potato chip because it's "the weird one".

That's kind of where I am. I've fallen off Marvel's stuff pretty steep. I mean, I liked Civil War alright but I just can't muster much excitement for their movies any more. Dr. Strange at least looks visually interesting.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I rather enjoyed his Avengers cameo.

I'm looking forward to spotting Lloyd Kaufman in Guardians 2, myself.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If Warner doesn't want 3-3.5 hour superhero films then they shouldn't be rushing to include multiple iconic characters in a single film in a new shared universe. Batman v Superman was hamstrung from the onset.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

For a micro story using currently existing characters who are often one-note personalities or perspectives, sure. But over the course of that entire Justice League cartoon, characters have very little growth and their powers varied depending on what the story called for. Very little in the Justice League cartoon was as interesting as what was shown in the DC films and those things that were, often weren't about the actual Justice League characters.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Superman doesn't pummel Zod through any buildings (although he does grapple with him through a train station roof and knock him through some girders).

He does appear to knock Faora through an empty building one time in Smallville.

He hits Zod through a grain silo and the gas station. He then smashes his face against the side of a build as they're flying past it, but that's about it. But people complaining about that poo poo kind of missed the point of the whole action sequence.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/784425976117747712

Play spot the Superman!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The suit is normal, and doesn't have a hole in it. Huh.

He's in a couple other shots, too. He's surrounded by a green screen frog men and Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder how related to the producer or executive that person was.

• Locked thread