Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Phylodox posted:

Is it just me, or does Affleck seem just a little bit sloshed in this?

He's definitely got some late night puffiness going on. Doesn't he gamble, like, all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Know what's a bummer? We never got Dylan Baker as The Lizard in a Sam Raimi Spider-Man. A Raimi Lizard would have been cool... think of those Evil Dead POV shots in a sewer.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ryan Coogler's doing Black Panther, right?

Is he working with his cinematographer from Creed? Because that could be really cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

I did this super quick and I'm sure it has a hosed up histogram or it's over contrasted whatever...but as a quick thing does this make the shot look better? Or at least a little more visually interesting than a boring grey sky over a boring grey location?

Needs more neon window blinds.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The entire movie is like that. Remember that fun scene where Steve's ex-crush has the alzheimers?

I was gonna say Anthony Mackie, but then I remembered he ran like group therapy for veterans with PTSD.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

awwwwww yeeeaaaahh

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Tezzor posted:

BvS could be not bad. I haven't seen it yet so I can't make a solid determination. I am guessing with relative certainty that it will be bad, based on the subject matter, tone, director, desperate me-too scrambling of the studio, and everything I've heard about the producers and creative process around Superman movies at DC. I can also guess with relative certainty that even if it is bad it will be defended here unless something in it vaguely offends somebody's politics or includes a woman who is good at several things.

Yes, you are clearly the one without bias. Cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hey, cool. Rose Byrne gets her own supersuit.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

porfiria posted:

Wait is Hugh Jackman not in this? I thought this was going to be his last one.

He's doing a 3rd Wolverine and that's allegedly his last one.

He'll probably have a cameo in this though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Jeffrey Dean Morgan would be a much better Lobo than Danny Trejo.

This is good

CelticPredator posted:

Someone said Danny McBride.

This is gooooood

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ray Romano as Lobo please

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Why would anyone want TV Flash to be movie Flash? Let them be different.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Basebf555 posted:

In this case its not anything as stupid as the usual nerd complaints, I think people just really enjoy Gustin's portrayal of the character and would like to see him get a shot.

I mean he has a successful television show. I just don't know why they'd want to make the movies beholden to that history and characterization.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Age of Ultron was so weird because when I was watching it with my nephews they got bored and wanted to turn it off. They've really liked every other Marvel movie they've watched.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I hope the villain is a massive baboon wearing a Prussian helmet with "MILITARISM" written on it.

We all do.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He's not even the best villain in that movie.

Michelle Pfeiffer is top 5 performances in a superhero movie material.

Yup. She definitely gives my favourite superhero movie performance.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Captain America in his own movies is probably my favourite MCU character.

Captain America in the Avengers movies is easily my least favourite MCU character.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Curl_like_smoke posted:

I've seen a couple people mention this now, as well as rumors of Chris Evans and Whedon disagreeing about how to use the character in the Avengers films. Would either of you mind going into more detail or giving examples that illustrate what you mean? I thought the writing for the Avengers was fine and they should have let Whedon stick to that and hire a better director to shoot the movies, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, especially in regards to Whedon and Cap.

Captain America in his solo movies is a quintessentially good guy. His standing up to the bullies, "I could do this all day", jumping on the grenade. It's all classic 'good guy' stuff. The way Chris Evans plays it is a sort of sheepishness but also pretty matter-of-fact. You believe that this guy believes what he's talking about.

This gets more muddied and more interesting in Winter Soldier, but it's still the same character.

The Cap in Avengers is some weird, stoic fuddy-duddy. The "Language" joke in AoU is the worst. It just doesn't work. I don't know why, maybe it's because Whedon wrote and directed it so there was less wiggle-room for Evans to try to mold and interpret the lines.

Look at the difference between the way Chris Evans interacts with Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie and Scarlet Johannson in his own movies and how he interacts with others in the Avengers movies. There's an easy chemistry that's missing, and maybe some of it has to do with Evans bristling with the characterization in the Avengers movies. I don't know.

In the Avengers movies he comes off as corny as a joke instead of corny as an ideal.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Batman Forever is actually good I think. A waste of Two Face and Tommy Lee Jones but overall it's not bad. I think it's way better than Batman Returns to be honest. Returns has like 15 total minutes of Batman and it's mostly just the fights.

Sure, but the trade off is you get at least two of the best superhero villain performances of all-time.

I also think any time Michael Keaton is Bruce Wayne in that movie he's really funny and weird.

I kind of love Batman Returns.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo WHAT.

Yep.

It's going to be The Best Movie Ever.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Rhyno posted:

Replaced instead by the not very talented Tessa Thompson

UMMMM

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

BiggerBoat posted:

She was fine in Creed. Only thing I remember being distracted by or standing out with her was how much she reminded me of Lisa Bonet.

There are much worse things a person can do than remind me of Lisa Bonet.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

sean10mm posted:

I kind of want to go back and watch Serenity, because I'm pretty sure that movie had more interesting direction than either of the Avengers films in spite of being a re-hash of a fun but overrated TV show made on a way smaller budget.

It feels like Whedon peaked 10-15 years ago and has been on a steady glide path down while his budgets go up exponentially.

It definitely does have more interesting direction. I thought it was maybe just The Avengers movie that was making him phone it in, but that recent Much Ado About Nothing movie he did sucked too. So I dunno.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

drat, Chadwick Boseman's Black Panther looks so good. I can't wait to see what Coogler does with him.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Just to let you know this is my new favourite post of all time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Wheeee posted:

What are some good comic adaptation films which aren't about superheros?

I didn't realize Kingsman and Blade were comic book IPs and quite enjoyed them, along with Dredd and Stardust.

A History of Violence. Ghost World.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Skwirl posted:

Everybody forgets Josie and the Pussycats, which is honestly, no joke, the best movie based on a comic ever.

It's really really funny, you're right. Alan Cumming is amazing.

I do always forget about it though but now you're making me want to rewatch it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Scyantific posted:

Actually it was pretty obvious that WB/DC were expecting Avengers/GOTG levels of cash with BvS, and anyone who thought otherwise is delusional.

It's already done better than GOTG.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Marky Marx posted:

Maybe a movie where Batman doesn't use guns

There are a lot of these.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jenny Angel posted:

The age gap between Affleck and Lane is smaller than the one between Cavill and Adams, so, y'know, go for it

"Martha..."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait but I thought the whole DC comics venture was in catastrophic freefall and everyone was fleeing the sinking ship made of the leftover pieces of BvS.

Apparently Devin Faraci is doing damage control on Twitter. He only said Wan had "trepidations" about doing Aquaman. You know, something that can't really be proven to mean anything. A worthy news story.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hat Thoughts posted:

Can't wait for his expose on James Wan Not Really Feeling Today

Ben Affleck has "indigestion". BvS leave a bad taste in your mouth, Ben?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

From Hell, y'all.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wish penismightier still posted here because he was our forum's One Dude Who Didn't Like From Hell and I'm not sure I ever found out why

Really? Now I wanna ask him about it on Twitter.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TetsuoTW posted:

The real clue is "Stephen Strange" -> "Rehangs Ten Pets"

A Peens Strength

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

When will Jake Gyllenhall's superhero get added to the MCU?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

Some early X-Men Apocalypse reviews are starting to come out and they are ... less than flattering.

My friend went to a press screening and said he really liked it, about on the level of DOFP.

However he's inclined to be really generous to everything, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wonder, if it is a big hit, what will the next X-Men be about? They've done DoFP, this is Apocalypse, what other big arcs are left? Will they try and dip into Morrison's run, or go back to the late 70s space opera stuff with the Shiar, or that Legacy business, or what?

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to take a better swing at the Dark Phoenix Saga.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Winter Soldier, Iron Man, First Avenger, Iron Man 3 are all really good.

Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and 2/3rds of The Incredible Hulk are good and fun.

The rest are garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It is kind of funny that Tony Stark in IM2 changes the reality of the movie with the power of "Nuh uh, my dad is awesome". He, like, invents elements and totally wipes away anything interesting in the movie through sheer power of will.

• Locked thread