Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The final cut of Civil War (with credits included) is 2:27 long. It's the longest Marvel movie to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New Civil War trailer is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrVegVI0Us

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Black Panther looks legit amazing. The fluid motion and the overall design. I like the vibranium outlines in the suit making it bulletproof.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ImpAtom posted:

I'm having a really hard time sympathizing with Captain America based off the trailers. Like as near as I can tell his argument amounts to "Well, this could go badly, so better not make any laws ever!" Hopefully the actual film plays it up better.

I remember when everyone was worried that it would be impossible to not make Cap unambiguously right.

Cap objectively looks like an rear end in a top hat here though. "But what about my friend's right to murder people for 70 years with no consequence!" and BIG GOVERNMENT

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yeah, they said there is overlapping timelines between Ragnarok, Dr. Strange, and Civil War.

Civil War apparently spans a couple of months and Ragnarok is sometime in the middle of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They just released a supercut that shows the "Road to Civil War" and gives a quick recap of Cap and Tony's evolution. Includes the Netflix shows and Agents of Shield's civil war tie-ins if you don't watch those shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682_yjauxso

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If she hit the peanut hard enough to propel it at a velocity to smash a thick glass bottle, the force would have shattered the peanut.

Immersion ruined.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

setafd posted:

can she even get drunk

Spoilers for every piece of superhero / sci-fi media: If the plot demands it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Russo Brothers just posted another behind the scenes video with a finished cut of Civil War and an amazing interview with Chris Evans as he watches it for the first time.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRussoBrothersOfficial/videos/745099152292686/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is amazing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Avengers 2 isn't as bad as some people say on this forums (it's the internet message board effect, where everything is THE BEST or THE WORST ever), but the all CGI fight choreography, like Hulk vs Hulk Buster or Tony vs Ultron or Vision vs Ultron, is so much better than the live action choreography. The live actors are all directed in really weird ways. It is especially noticeable because of how good the choreography is in Ant-Man and Winter Solider. Or even just the CGI scene 20 minutes earlier in Ultron.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

AoU is an extremely okay movie in the most literal sense. It has a couple very good points, a couple very bad points, and many many minutes of okay.

People are crazy to say it is one of the worst movies ever or unwatchable, but it is definitely near the bottom of the pile of the MCU and the lower half of modern comic movies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

His point is that the bad guys killed billions of people in Star Wars and nobody got upset, so it is hypocritical to get mad that he decided the good guys should kill a few thousand people in his movie.

It is a bad point, but that is his point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ghosthotel posted:

Superman only kills one person

He was defending criticism that Batman shoots a rocket launcher at a helicopter full of security guards and kills criminals. Also, Superman apparently kills more people in BvS.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 24, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

‘Batman V. Superman’ Promotion Urges Filmgoers To "Just Get This Over With"

LOS ANGELES—Promising that it would be best to just buy a ticket and take care of the unpleasantness right away, a new Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice promotional campaign launched this week reportedly urged filmgoers to simply get this whole thing over with. “Listen, you all knew this day was coming, so just go sit your rear end in the theater, stare up at the IMAX screen for a couple hours, and be done with this poo poo once and for all,” said Warner Brothers marketing strategist Elizabeth Harris, who encouraged fans to make plans with friends right now so they could all bite the loving bullet over opening weekend. “You know you can’t put this off forever, so just suck it up and plow through this thing as quickly as possible. Listen, you’re going to have to pay the piper now or at some point down the road on a commercial flight or during a broadcast on TNT, so you might as well just pony up the extra 10 bucks for 3D and never think about it again.” At press time, Warner Brothers had reportedly kicked off a last-minute Batman V. Superman media blitz in major markets advising audiences to just bend over and take it like a champ.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yeah, BvS is not terrible. It is aggressively okay. I think BvS is getting the Age of Ultron treatment, where a movie that is just okay is derided as THE WORST, because expectations were very high, so a mediocre movie feels even worse than it objectively might be.

There is really no excuse for some of the very bad CGI and editing in this movie though. Baffling how that happened. Eisenberg is beyond awful too, but that is more of an opinion than the first part. There were lots of mistakes and dropped balls with BvS, but it is still watchable.

I would still probably save my money and time until the DVD release, but if you've got a lot of both, then go for it in theaters.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 26, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

computer parts posted:

It made what, $700 million? Seems like it.

It was only in the high 200 mil range in the US though. Which is not objectively bad, but definitely under-performing for one of the biggest superheros of all time.

Also, kind of funny that "truth, justice, and the American way" is significantly less popular in the US than outside of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also, is Gotham part of Metropolis now? Or they are right next to eachother? Lois Lane could see the bat signal from the top of the Daily Planet building. So then Superman just ignores Gotham?

They are supposed to be like New Jersey and NYC; where one is just across the river. Although it makes Man of Steel's geography really weird retroactively.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Daveski posted:

Just got back from BvS, thought it was quite good. Definitely not perfect, but I liked it much more than I was expecting to (for the record, I'm lukewarm towards Man of Steel). I suspect SMG is right in thinking that the extended cut will end up being an improvement.

Question - during Batman's dream sequence, who is the dude that shows up to yell warnings at him? I got the impression he was a time-traveller (or at least it was a message from the future) who arrived too early, but I had a hard time making out what he was saying. Is it someone that comic book fans would recognize?

The Flash.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ImpAtom posted:

Every single preview for this makes it look like a film that would make more sense if Steve Rogers was fighting with Tony Stark because he wants to break up and go back to his old ex Bucky.

The homoerotic bromance between Cap and Bucky is somewhere above sub-text, but below superliminal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently Civil War is supposed to have something "Universe Changing" along the same lines as Winter Soldier (SHIELD declared a terrorist organization, Fury "dead", Zola "alive", etc)

Question: Why do all the big universe changing events happen in Cap's films? Cap 1 introduced the completed Avengers, the Tesseract, and Infinity stones and Cap 2 was mentioned above.

Seems greedy; why can't poor Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Hemsworth, or Paul Rudd get a game changer? Paul Rudd needs this man, he's got a step-dad to compete with.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gyges posted:

Critics are still a superstitious and cowardly lot, so probably not.

Critics loved all the Nolan Batman movies and specifically praised the "dark" tone and Heath Ledger's Joker as upgrades over the lighter campier Batfilms of yore.

Electromax posted:

Might wanna just pass on the movie, as both of those things are a given.

It's already been said that the fight scene from the trailers takes place at the Berlin Airport and is in the first act.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 31, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tom Hiddleston says that he will be in Thor 3, but unless something changes with Infinity War, it will be his last time in the MCU.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phylodox posted:

They're gonna offer him a lot more money.

He said he wants to be in Infinity War and noted that casting isn't done for it yet, but that he hasn't been approached by Marvel to do it so far.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The costuming is like one of the only good things about the Thor movies tho

How dare you slander Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Idris Elba, and 38-second slo-mo pans of Chris Hemsworth's naked body.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rurea posted:

And a dude with robot wings.

He also has goggles. Don't downplay the Falcon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/05/captain-america-civil-war-to-tie-into-netflixs-luke-cage-/

Apparently Mariah Dillard is going to be in Civil War. She is also a character in the upcoming Luke Cage series. This will be the first time any actors / characters from the Netflix shows cross into any of the movies.

Also, continuing the tradition of Russo Brothers having Community cameos in their movies, the Dean from Community is also an unnamed character in Civil War. Possibly as a Pan-Sexual version of Uatu the Watcher?

Edit: Also, just announced that the first Dr. Strange trailer is dropping next week during Jimmy Kimmel on the same night as the Civil War red carpet premiere.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 6, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

To be fair, it is kind of a rational move on Ike's part. He's been with the company forever and has made it a lot of money, so they can't outright get rid of him. But Feige forced him out of the movies and if he lets the TV stuff mix in with the movies, he loses control of those characters and the company has less of a reason to keep him around if someone else can make his characters work.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not letting the TV shows crossover is the least of Ike's sins. He is also best friends with Avi Arad and Donald Trump.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The first critic comments about Civil War are starting to come out. They are just able to give Twitter comments, but full reviews should be out soon.

The biggest points:

- Overall impression is very good.
- Chadwick Boseman, Spiderman, and William Hurt all have relatively small, but breakout roles.
- Spiderman is only in the movie for about 10-15 minutes, but he is getting a lot of praise.
- Lots of people commenting that Marvel has finally made a movie where the 3rd act is by far the strongest act. The climax scene is getting rave reviews and apparently has not been shown in any preview material yet.
- There are multiple ending stingers.
- People are noting that Chris Evans gives a really emotional performance and that his dialogue scenes are much better than his action scenes.
- Paul Rudd has great dialogue and physical performances.
- Some people are upset and some are happy, but they are saying that the movie is 50% Cap, 30% Tony, and 20% all other characters. So, it is definitely a Cap and Tony focused movie and the other characters all have around 10-15 minutes of screentime in a 2:35 movie. Don't expect tons of Scarlet Witch, Spiderman, or Vision.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gyges posted:

The last scene will be of his coffin, then for a split second Vita-Rays will come off it.

Would unironically be movie of the year.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Chairman Capone posted:

Not a superhero movie, a 1970s political thriller!

Actually one thing that made me laugh about Winter Soldier is that it establishes that Black Widow was both a KGB agent and born in 1984. So I would like to see a future MCU movie about the KGB Toddler Division.

To be fair, they also establish that she was part of the Red Room program that trained female KGB agents from birth. So, technically she was a KGB agent when she was born.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Is it just me or does the Batsuit look different from the one in BvS?

Also, weirdly, I'm kind of meh on that trailer despite really liking the last one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

How long until people start getting mad at either:

1) Thor dating a black woman

or

2) Her blackness not being emphasized and is therefore whitewashing.

Also, not sure if it makes it better or worse, but apparently that Civil War clip was condensed to exactly 1 minute from a 1:41 second series of scenes from the film for the MTV movie awards.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Feige announced today that Ryan Coogler is also writing Black Panther in addition to directing and that Ta-nehisi Coates' new Black Panther comic run will be a partial inspiration for it.

Edit: Feige also said that The Inhumans is likely to be pushed back about 6 months to make room for the new Spider-Man movie and Ant-Man sequel.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 11, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Vintersorg posted:

Ugh, that is super disappointing to here. Unless this Kong is a goddamn insane monster he stands no chance vs. Godzilla.

Some said the same of Batman vs Superman...

I am excited to see Universal's take on the anti-nuclear Kong Suit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently the Dr. Strange trailer will air around 11:35 EST and is a teaser trailer and not a standard trailer.

I have no idea what the distinction is anymore, because teaser trailers are now 2:30 long with fully finished footage, which sounds like a regular trailer to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Stolen from the BSS thread: Here's the first official teaser poster for Strange.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kimmel had a short new clip from Civil War. After Ant-Man is abducted by Falcon and Hawkeye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqkoFF3fJI

Also, keep watching for Paul Rudd and Disney musical trivia.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cardigan Vision owns.

• Locked thread